[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

5 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

So.. random thought.

What happened to the female guard in KOC?

Her doppelganger had murdered her room mate and died.

So she disappeared too?

She is a good character is it not? Her doppleganger in ROC is dead....therefore the ladyguard is safe. The reason the dead doppleganger was chosen was because LL wanted her to be a guard to spy on LG.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, gwin said:

I will reserve judgment until the end of the series, but there are a few issues in execution in my view.  The more I think about it, the more I feel bummed because these issues could've saved the series from the early criticism!  I think I already mentioned these earlier, but here are my pet peeves so far:

1.  Product placement from Episode 3-8:   Simply too much.  I do not mind PPLs if they're not in-your-face.   The worst for me was the coffee LG was drinking in his hotel room (absolute cringe), followed by that scene of JTE and Jangmi in the car where they promoted both the cheek tint and kimchi.   When characters actually talk about a product and not just use or show them, it takes me out of the viewing experience.   

2.  Too much focus on the detective team in Korea:  Unless the chief detective gets a bigger role in subsequent episodes (I doubt), I really do not understand why we had to devote precious time to him and his wife.  We got a scene of them in the grocery (to this day I don't know what was that about!), we got conversations about what he's doing in his spare time etc. etc.   And I know some people like him, but Jangmi is really just there for PPLs.

3.   Too much focus on Shin Jae's backstory:  Don't get me wrong, I like this character.  I like the actor.  But just look at how much focus was given to him in the earlier episodes:

-That whole sequence of him with the gambling boss, his mother and the raid at that gambling den (he meets the gambling boss I think 3 times?)

-The background story of how he and JTE met

-JTE rescuing him from bullies

-Scene between him and Jangmi (?!?!?)

If they had given some of the screentime for him to Jo Yeong (who is severely lacking in character depth to this time), I think it would have served the show better.  It's just so odd to me that JY is so loyal to LG, I would have appreciated something, anything which would justify why he's fiercely loyal to LG.

That's just my top three.  It's sad because the premiere episode of this series was soooo good and showed so much potential. 

@gwin:  I was telling someone almost the same thing!  Many said the first couple of episodes were boring, so I rewatched, objectively, and if I wasn't a LMH fan, I may have dropped this drama.  Now, that we know more, it makes sense, but the first 4 episodes to be thrown numbers 2 and 3 hurt the drama IMO.  But strangely, the PPL, didn't, and still doesn't, bother me.  Ok, the cellreturn does (lol), but not the rest.  I must have a high tolerance to PPL.  GonJo was one of my ships, so I would have liked to see a lot more of the two of them.  

I, too, was cursing SBS when I saw the news this morning:rage:.  I remember, when watching LBS 3 years ago,  during a crucial part in the drama, ep 13, SBS aired only one episode that week.  In the end, I think it worked out for the best because LMH was pretty tired at that point and needed a break.  Hopefully, the single episode for the King will work out for the best.  I wish, at least, SBS will allow the last episode to go a little longer than 70 minutes, so all the loose ends are resolved.

Where are the LMHoes?:naughty:  I need a good laugh:lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 13

2 hours ago, deabakdrama said:

@Emmy Nur'aenny I m very impressed with your explanation about TE and LG personality in such deep perspectives. Science and Faith are two different elements whereby always have contradiction in between. However,..LG and JTE no longer reject science or faith but accept both. 

LG is very determined person with all his logical math thinking and JTE experiences and knowing that the guy standing in front of her is not laying to her. Whatever he said it is true.

I should conclude that love brings them together. If it is not LG's patiently guide JTE, there wouldn't have love story between them. 

Ah NOOO!!  That's not from me..  That's from @bebebisous33 .. He/she is awesome explain all that about LG and JTE

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gwin said:

I will reserve judgment until the end of the series, but there are a few issues in execution in my view.  The more I think about it, the more I feel bummed because these issues could've saved the series from the early criticism!  I think I already mentioned these earlier, but here are my pet peeves so far:

1.  Product placement from Episode 3-8:   Simply too much.  I do not mind PPLs if they're not in-your-face.   The worst for me was the coffee LG was drinking in his hotel room (absolute cringe), followed by that scene of JTE and Jangmi in the car where they promoted both the cheek tint and kimchi.   When characters actually talk about a product and not just use or show them, it takes me out of the viewing experience.   

2.  Too much focus on the detective team in Korea:  Unless the chief detective gets a bigger role in subsequent episodes (I doubt), I really do not understand why we had to devote precious time to him and his wife.  We got a scene of them in the grocery (to this day I don't know what was that about!), we got conversations about what he's doing in his spare time etc. etc.   And I know some people like him, but Jangmi is really just there for PPLs.

3.   Too much focus on Shin Jae's backstory:  Don't get me wrong, I like this character.  I like the actor.  But just look at how much focus was given to him in the earlier episodes:

-That whole sequence of him with the gambling boss, his mother and the raid at that gambling den (he meets the gambling boss I think 3 times?)

-The background story of how he and JTE met

-JTE rescuing him from bullies

-Scene between him and Jangmi (?!?!?)

If they had given some of the screentime for him to Jo Yeong (who is severely lacking in character depth to this time), I think it would have served the show better.  It's just so odd to me that JY is so loyal to LG, I would have appreciated something, anything which would justify why he's fiercely loyal to LG.

That's just my top three.  It's sad because the premiere episode of this series was soooo good and showed so much potential. 

I agree with your points

@CarolynH

@gwin:  I was telling someone almost the same thing!  Many said the first couple of episodes were boring, so I rewatched, objectively, and if I wasn't a LMH fan, I may have dropped this drama.  Now, that we know more, it makes sense, but the first 4 episodes to be thrown numbers 2 and 3 hurt the drama IMO.  But strangely, the PPL, didn't, and still doesn't, bother me.  Ok, the cellreturn does (lol), but not the rest.  I must have a high tolerance to PPL.  GonJo was one of my ships, so I would have liked to see a lot more of the two of them.  

I, too, was cursing SBS when I saw the news this morning:rage:.  I remember, when watching LBS 3 years ago,  during a crucial part in the drama, ep 13, SBS aired only one episode that week.  In the end, I think it worked out for the best because LMH was pretty tired at that point and needed a break.  Hopefully, the single episode for the King will work out for the best.  I wish, at least, SBS will allow the last episode to go a little longer than 70 minutes, so all the loose ends are resolved.

CarolynH, yes 2 and 3 may have caused some to drop out or get very confused.

So LMH was tired and needed a break for LOTBS. He probably was ill and needed to rest. Good reason to have a break if the lead needs it.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

I know to gather more awareness of covid 19 is important, but I'm still pissed-off why should sbs air it on friday. We have mon tue thurs and sun.... why would sacrifice our friday???? Why??? I really can't understand this. :triumph:

1 week for waiting ep 14-15 and another 1 week to ep 16, :weary: I thought should I watch it all after ep 16 ends. :pensive:

Talking about covid 19, how is your life buddy? Are you still in lockdown? Yesterday I heard on news that our government has planned a new scenario toward new normal life. I see they posted lots of instructions and protocols until the vaccine is done. I thought how could this be a normal life. Well, it's something we have to deal with. I hope everyone stay healthy and safe! 

One more day to Saturday. The wrap up party, won't they have it? 

Totally agree!!  SBS have many show,  why it should on TKEM timeslot :'(   they should show it on another timeslot, maybe on variety show, variety show didn't have exact episode, they can replace that,  don't replace TKEM or any drama :'(  we just have 16 episode, why they should torture us like this :'(

I live in a village far from city,  so is fine in here , but people at the city still in lock down,  

I wish everything will be better.. 

Ah and like other drama too,  because of the virus, they wouldn't make wrap up party :'(

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

38 minutes ago, Orientalfan said:

She is a good character is it not? Her doppleganger in ROC is dead....therefore the ladyguard is safe. The reason the dead doppleganger was chosen was because LL wanted her to be a guard to spy on LG.

That's the thing.

They cast doubts to us when they introduced the doppelganger in ROK and every facial expression of the lady guard in KOC is just soooooo suspicious in that particular episode and then suddenly the lady guard disappear...

tenor.gif

And maybe I'm the only one going

tenor.gif

Alright.... maybe it is just to troll us and confuse us on her character.

@vangsweetie637

tenor.gif

I want PM's head too.

:naughty:

@Alice Wonderland Let's just think that this is a gimmick by SBS to make everyone to tune in on Saturday for Episode 13.

Spoiler

tenor.gif

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

34 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

I just ordered half and half fried chicken out of grief that there’s no episode tomorrow

Omg!!  I'm hungry now :D

But there is no half and half fried chicken in here :(

I have to make it , maybe tomorrow,  I will go to the market and buy a raw chicken :D

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos! Thanks!
  • Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Wow, @bebebisous33, yet another great analysis! I agree that Tae Eul "sees to believe." That is why despite her skepticism at first, she agreed to go with Lee Gon to the parallel world. She wants to see for herself if it does exist. :)

On 5/28/2020 at 4:03 AM, CallieP said:

Don't get why it is low chance for Baeksang though?

I doubt King can beat Faith's record. Faith has 24 episodes to King 16,  8 episodes more but if @syntychecan use her math to calculate per episode, we know how many pages we need to be comparable to Faith as per episode. Syntyche, I therefore challenge you. I sure there will not be a problem. :lol:

Lol @CallieP! Honestly, the comparison of the activity of this thread with that of Faith did cross my mind. But I didn't expect you would actually make me compute. Haha. But anyway, that should keep me occupied with the extended airing schedule.

My apologies all, if I don't get to respond to any of your tags, if any. With the LTE speeds of this thread, I also get a lot of notifications. I will read your posts eventually :) 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, Keikokoko said:

@madmad min Are you my long lost twin? I often found you spoke my mind. :D I am a number person, and to me the everything in the world and everyday life can be explained by and in numbers. That's why this drama caught my eyes in the first place. 

Just checking in to see how everyone is hanging on till next episode, only to find out Friday show is delayed. That's not bad thing as waiting can only make wanting more intense. Not to say that this drama isn't intense already, particular with last kiss bed scene we got. :blush:

Glad to know someone who Believes in the Number phenomenon, My Culutural History Scriptures even says it takes N number of Births to become a Human , starting from That and my fascination with Shows like Lost and TKEM and also some Life Incidents made me like this. :D

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Heretorant said:

Plenty of us here. We still love Choi Young until today :D

They deserve to celebrate. :bawling:

@Heretorant....Annyeong & ** hugs **.

By the way, I am from Malaysia. 

Mind to share links to watch these KDrama.

TQ in advance.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

TheKingEternalMonarch Book + Photo Essay Set [all 3 volumes, 10 photocards (book) + 8 photocards (photo essay) • price: 58,500KRW • 1040pages | 170*230*60mm

http://www.yes24.com/Product/Goods/90407437

---------

I badly want these scenes in the drama if not epilogue atleast 

FfyiC2.gif

:joy:

What if we have twins?

qdBgwV.gif

Queen's New Clothes

Spoiler

JBR2Zj.gif

Lysandr

Why not have the wrap up party in the same room

the filming site was always full of laughter with everyone doing their best. these people successfully gave a warm finish .p.s: seems like #LeeMinho likes to make a heart-sign nowaday:kiss_wink:

Spoiler

• Like 6
  • Naughty 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 7
  • Awesome 2

Someone said that TKEM Reddit had several hundred or a thousand comments, a huge amount and I asked for a link. She sent me the link to Bitchesoverdrama, and Packmule3 - The Red Dream (?).  Is that TKEM Reddit? I thought Reddit is something else and I saw only 36 comments. Perhaps it was a wrong link? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CallieP said:

Someone said that TKEM Reddit had several hundred or a thousand comments, a huge amount and I asked for a link. She sent me the link to Bitchesoverdrama, and Packmule3 - The Red Dream (?).  Is that TKEM Reddit? I thought Reddit is something else and I saw only 36 comments. Perhaps it was a wrong link? 

There is Kdrama community on reddit... On Reddit/Kdrama with 100k subscriber base. You were looking at the wrong places and the wrong trees

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CallieP said:

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

That's the thing.

They cast doubts to us when they introduced the doppelganger in ROK and every facial expression of the lady guard in KOC is just soooooo suspicious in that particular episode and then suddenly the lady guard disappear...

And maybe I'm the only one going

Alright.... maybe it is just to troll us and confuse us on her character.

@vangsweetie637

I want PM's head too.

:naughty:

May I know who is the lady guard u guys r talking about? Is she the bodyguard who reports about KSJ’s mom to lady Noh? Does she have a doppelgänger in ROK? 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 3