[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

3 minutes ago, scrawford said:

2). Yes yes yes and yes.... I understand we need to see JTE in her element, and the lee sang do case is the the connection point for LG and JTE to work together, but... was it necessary to do the red wallet lady? How about that the dopplegangers for the KOC palace security lady, she ended up getting killed, never got switch and JTE never did get her phone. So what’s the point? Her story cut he cut short or maybe none at all? Jangmi is a comic relief tho, hehehe

3). While I understand Shin Jae story arc, and some flash backs are needed, I also didn’t see the need for his flashback with JTE, and since there is not a lot going on with the love triangle

plot (thank god) cause we know who is winning, LG already got JTE in his chamber. Sorry I just had to mention it again hehehe...

i would love Jo Young development and more development on his relationship Lee gon.

and the war scene would be truly a waste of it has nothing to do with the plot and if it was merely to add patriotic scene. I too, was not a fan of the Japanese war scene, unless I’m proven wrong in the next 4 episodes and it actually meant something. 

I don't mind the Lee Sang Do case, but certain parts of it we did not need to see anymore (like them going to that junkyard to look for the murder weapon, for example).   The red wallet lady--- agreed that this served no purpose.    

I disagree though regarding the doppelganger of the palace guard.  I think that second case was needed to establish the pattern of LR recruiting these people in Korea to replace their counterparts in Corea.   

Oh, Jangmi.  Totally unnecessary. I don't care if he's funny.

The only reason why I think they had to give so much subplot to SJ is because he might figure prominently in the next few episodes (sacrificing himself for JTE, or helping LG save JTE or defeat LR or whatever).  But if that doesn't happen, that will be a lot of wasted screentime on him.

• Like 4

I feel like we had multiple love triangles that went nowhere.  LG/JTE/PM, and LG/JTE/SJ.  They were starting to build, and then just collapse.  PM went balls over into cuckoo land, and SJ is having excellent scenes with JY.  Could it be possible that they wanted to do it, and it just didn’t land at all so it scrapped?

Despite the casual viewers grumblings about LG/JTE, they’ve completely proved their OTP-ness and maybe the writers knew that early on?

It’s kind of weird to not have a love triangle in a kdrama lol.  Or even second lead syndrome.  

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

9 hours ago, mychoiyoung said:

Thank you for tagging me with your write up.  I immensely enjoyed reading your analysis but the line above caught my eye. I never got the sense that LG had stopped believing in gods.  Let me explain why

1. LG's parents are Catholic. Altho his Mom died early, he was still brought up by his Dad. This does not mean that LG is Catholic himself cos the drama has been silent on that. But I would expect that with such upbringing, he would be inclined to have at least exposure to a belief system other than math & science.
  2. LG repeatedly regards that unfortunate night in 1994 & the life-long ordeal it gave him as his personal hell. Someone who references hell means he acknowledges the notion of heaven.
  3. He admitted that the 1st thing he checked with ROK was the Church & found it to be the only landmark existing in both worlds in the exact same spot. If he has stopped believing, I don't think he would bother to check the Church out in ROK.
  4. LG & LR are the anti-thesis of each other. Given that the story has been very explicit with LR not believing in God or any form of god (except for himself which is ironic), it is only logical that LG goes the other way.

What I most agree with what you have written is how both LG & TE are influencing each other to be open to what each believes in. LG is more cerebral of the two, He knows, therefore he believes. TE on the other hand is experienced-based. But by discovering each other in a fantastical or magical setting, we see that LG's scientific/mathematical principles do not invalidate TE's experienced-based dogmatism. And vice versa.

Their personal narratives speak to their innermost need for righteousness, justice, family & duty -- all in the realm of science & faith. That's why they luuurve each other :)

Well, what I meant is that after the coup d'etat, Lee Gon no longer believed in the prayer taught by his father, he no longer had faith in the sword as he had failed once. Let us not forget that his father was killed by the sword which was supposed to fight against the evil. Math and Physics became his new religion.  

@x2020@Emmy Nur'aenny Thanks a lot for the compliments.:wub: I really like writing such analyses, which shows how well written the story is. I have been thinking about the next topic but it will be somehow a little different: time.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Available at Yes24 

> "The King: Eternal Monarch" Photo Essay set (8 photocards) Price: 31.500 KRW 400pages | 170*230*30mm Release date: June 30. Delivery shipping: July 8.

OVERSEAS SHIPPING AVAILABLE 

http://www.yes24.com/Product/Goods/90406595?scode=029

> Novel 1& 2 (10 photocards) + Photo Essay set (8 photocards) Price: 58,500 KRW 1040pages | 170*230*60mm Release date: June 30. Delivery shipping: July 8.

DOMESTIC SHIPPING ONLY

http://www.yes24.com/Product/Goods/90407437?scode=032&OzSrank=4

>TKEM’s Novel 1 & 2 (include 5 photocards with price 13.500KRW per each novel)

http://www.yes24.com/Product/Goods/90406893?scode=029

http://www.yes24.com/Product/Goods/90407511?scode=029

http://www.yes24.com/Product/Goods/90407143?scode=029

cr: V_PSH18

EZKMjryVAAA4Lp2?format=jpg&name=small

EZKMjryVAAIr1hZ?format=jpg&name=small

EZKMjrzVcAMG2ar?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 5
  • Love 6
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

I feel like we had multiple love triangles that went nowhere.  LG/JTE/PM, and LG/JTE/SJ.  They were starting to build, and then just collapse.  PM went balls over into cuckoo land, and SJ is having excellent scenes with JY.  Could it be possible that they wanted to do it, and it just didn’t land at all so it scrapped?

Despite the casual viewers grumblings about LG/JTE, they’ve completely proved their OTP-ness and maybe the writers knew that early on?

It’s kind of weird to not have a love triangle in a kdrama lol.  Or even second lead syndrome.  

I actually find it refreshing there's no actual love triangle in TKEM. It makes it more realistic and LG/JTE relationship more mature without all the baggage over fighting for love. They both know they love each other. There's no stupid misunderstanding. They already have enough issue as it is being in a long distance relationship.

• Like 4
  • Love 5
  • Awesome 3

Hi TKEM fam! Sorry if this has been asked before but just wanted to know if you guys have an idea if they're releasing a d-cut of this series? Not sure if Netflix Original series' are eligible to get a dcut?  (haven't seen it from CLOY and Hi Bye Mama :tears:)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, koreaboooo said:

I actually find it refreshing there's no actual love triangle in TKEM. It makes it more realistic and LG/JTE relationship more mature without all the baggage over fighting for love. They both know they love each other. There's no stupid misunderstanding. They already have enough issue as it is being in a long distance relationship.

i like it too.  There’s also been no lying or noble idiocy.  The few times they’ve withheld the truth from each other - it makes sense.  The flute already caused LG’s dad to die - he wasn’t going to involve JTE in that, but then he reconsidered. JTE obviously isn’t going to tell him that something horrifying happened to cause him to go back in time when she isn’t sure what she’s going to do yet.  They’re refreshingly honest and actually equals.

Its funny that PM demands honesty from the King and all he gives her is politician and polite irritation.  

Also I noticed in 10 she asked if he’ll support her every move, and he politely told her to eff off in politician speak.  And the first thing he said to her about JTE becoming queen was that he supports her every decision and move.  

MANY DEEP CUTS WERE MADE THAT WEEKEND. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 7
  • Awesome 1

4 hours ago, vangsweetie637 said:
4 hours ago, mrsj3n said:

I'm on episode 4 and oh my god.

Why did I just realise PM koo is such an annoying and arrogant richard simmons?

Off with her head!!!!

LOL!! You just realized? I knew it from the beginning when she kept trying to take pictures with LG. I was like::

NOW only??? Off with YOUR head, haha!

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

Oh ho!

@syntyche

I would love to have the whip but there is no purpose without the hand which is attached to the body ...you get the flow......

Most likely going to buy the photoessay and the OST.

I wish for the D-Cut but we have to wait and see.

Plus @graceyco The CLOY D-Cut didn't push through. I actually joined the Daum Cafe for it....

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

36 minutes ago, Geolyvseven said:

That individual is mentally ill in my opinion lacks any form of human compassion. @Time loop said it best She takes celebrites waaay to serious over the limit of what should be considered healthy

48 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

No kidding, I was about to write the same thing.

I don’t even need to lurk there to know what type of comments she’s been making. 

She really needs a professional help. This is really bad for her. I feel bad for her I honestly do. 

You can't soul hunt some random person you don't know for over a decade obsessively. Thats when you need to step down and seek help

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

So after seeing this picture:

SInNyJh.png

And then also referring to this:

24 minutes ago, MairaA said:

Following the king’s will, the son, King Sinmun, built his father’s tomb on a small rocky islet off the east coast. He also built a temple overlooking the sea grave to respect his father’s noble will. One day, an official told the king a strange story. He said that a small island was floating towards the temple. The king asked a fortuneteller to interpret the unusual sign. The fortuneteller replied, “The late king has become a sea dragon and General Kim Yu-shin has become a heavenly god. They want to give you treasure to defend the country, so please go to the sea and receive the valuable present.” So the king went to the sea and looked at the floating island. From a distance, it looked like a turtle’s head, with a bamboo tree on the top. Oddly enough, the bamboo was divided into two pieces during the day, but would become one again at night.

I did some more research on the history of turtles in terms of history and I found the following points:

1) Koreans respect turtles as symbols of long life, good life, and knowledge of the future. 

2) Chinese and Japanese cultures also revere turtles and consider them in similar ways. A turtle shows the relations between heaven, earth, humanity and nature. It tells us that we are microcosms of the infinite. 

3) A Japanese mythology and folklore website tells the story of a man, Urashima Taro, who protected a sea turtle from abuse. The grateful turtle takes the man to see the king of the sea who allows him to marry his daughter, the princess. The man then returns to his hometown and finds he has traveled into the future. This story says respect for turtles brings life and understanding beyond one's years.

4) In Western culture, Aesop's story of the turtle and the rabbit stands for patience. The turtle moves slowly in a race, but it defeats the rabbit. The rabbit has speed but lacks understanding and constancy. Its rapid, changing movement makes it slower than the slow. The story's meanings include avoiding hubris and cultivating prudence. On a different level, it shows a path of wisdom related to love, faith, and reaching a goal in life.

5) In another sense, turtles call us to understand the sea, freshwater, and all nature, on which human life depends. Life, the great chain of being, reveals interconnectedness everywhere, but many struggle to admit this truth. Humans shouldn't wish to distinguish themselves too strongly from other parts of nature. The turtle stands as a reminder of universal interdependence. Thoughts, words, and deeds that disrupt the balance of heaven and earth threaten life, good living, humanity, and nature.

Credit:http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2017/03/625_222998.html 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 6

Okay first off no more rabbits 

In chinese we have a severe insult about turtle eggs 

I did some creeping on the 3 final episode cast photos.  Here’s who we have, and it’s interesting.  It’s blurry so I did my best.

The Alley - JTE, ES, SJ, Nari

1930s village - JTE/LG

King’s bedroom - JTE/LG/Lady Noh

So we’re missing Jo Yeong in costume, although we do have WDH.  No Jung Eun Chae either.  No police team, Yo Yo kid, and no LR/followers.  No Myeong-a, or Press Secretary. 

The lack of WDH has Yeong worries me the most.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • LOL 5

Sooo..before I backtrack 5 pages lol..I keep reading about the mention of BTTF :D

It’s been a long time for me but is this the movie starring Michael J. Fox where there is a car and phone booth? I remember it slightly now..scenes of this movie on tv when I was younger. There was a scientist too with a spiked-up white hairdo? 

Am I remembering the right one? And this movie had 3 parts? :sweatingbullets:

*backtrack mode on*

let me see what we are discussing and x-raying our eyes with today :joy:

edit:

@AgentQuake you didn’t mention PM so we are missing her too! Whew...thank goodness haha.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

31 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

i like it too.  There’s also been no lying or noble idiocy.  The few times they’ve withheld the truth from each other - it makes sense.  The flute already caused LG’s dad to die - he wasn’t going to involve JTE in that, but then he reconsidered. JTE obviously isn’t going to tell him that something horrifying happened to cause him to go back in time when she isn’t sure what she’s going to do yet.  They’re refreshingly honest and actually equals.

Its funny that PM demands honesty from the King and all he gives her is politician and polite irritation.  

Also I noticed in 10 she asked if he’ll support her every move, and he politely told her to eff off in politician speak.  And the first thing he said to her about JTE becoming queen was that he supports her every decision and move.  

MANY DEEP CUTS WERE MADE THAT WEEKEND. 

Goodness I love what you said in here.  Emjoi isn't enough.

The PM's reaction when LG said "She is the woman i love." was so palpable like I could not believe that it would seem that she actually got hurt. 

I have to say though that the actress playing PM is doing a very good job since she is eliciting blood-curling reactions from the viewers, LOL. And she is pretty, too!  This  is really an ensemble of good actors.

Sooo..before I backtrack 5 pages lol..I keep reading about the mention of BTTF :D

@vangsweetie637  YES it is. Fun movie (in 3 parts). A classic.

Soooo one of the finale scenes is in his bedroom, based on the pictures.  

Hmmmmm

HMMMMMMMMMM.

@AgentQuake I just got back from RL. So where I can see it please?

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

27 minutes ago, Dramanoona said:

Oh ho!

@syntyche

I would love to have the whip but there is no purpose without the hand which is attached to the body ...you get the flow......

Most likely going to buy the photoessay and the OST.

I wish for the D-Cut but we have to wait and see.

Plus @graceyco The CLOY D-Cut didn't push through. I actually joined the Daum Cafe for it....

Thank you for your answer chinggu! I hope they can consider a d-cut for this series, I bet they have a lot cut scenes and they can definitely explore on adding all the beautiful cinematic scenes...and kiss scenes:w00t:...and more cinematic scenes..hehe 

Thank youuuu guys. Forever a fan of this thread!! :wub:

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

8 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

Sooo..before I backtrack 5 pages lol..I keep reading about the mention of BTTF :D

It’s been a long time for me but is this the movie starring Michael J. Fox where there is a car and phone booth? I remember it slightly now..scenes of this movie on tv when I was younger. There was a scientist too with a spiked-up white hairdo? 

Am I remembering the right one? And this movie had 3 parts? :sweatingbullets:

*backtrack mode on*

let me see what we are discussing and x-raying our eyes with today :joy:

edit:

@AgentQuake you didn’t mention PM so we are missing her too! Whew...thank goodness haha.

Yes, it stars Michael J. Fox and it is the BEST. MOVIE. EVER.   The car is the time machine.  The scientist is the inventor of the time machine.

I always recommend that movie to anyone who hasn't seen it.  The first two movies are best seen consecutively.   Since there's no TKEM later, you can watch BTTF 1 instead!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

Goodness I love what you said in here.  Emjoi isn't enough.

The PM's reaction when LG said "She is the woman i love." was so palpable like I could not believe that it would seem that she actually got hurt. 

I have to say though that the actress playing PM is doing a very good job since she is eliciting blood-curling reactions from the viewers, LOL. And she is pretty, too!  This  is really an ensemble of good actors.

@vangsweetie637  YES it is. Fun movie (in 3 parts). A classic.

@AgentQuake I just got back from RL. So where I can see it please?

hahaha I love the woman who plays PM. But hate PM herself :joy: omo! i do remember that movie now. But i think I only saw part 1 then suddenly all I can remember is BeetleJuice :crazy::lol: 

*i should be backtracking from where I left off but I find myself backtracking from the newest page instead* LOL!!!

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

YALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL OMFGGGGGGGGGGG 

SOMEONE BRING BACK THE RECEIPTS OF THE SAVIORS 

5P6cLn9.png

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e479bcc5bc163899d1d13

its the SHOES, the SHOES!!!!! 

Edited by MairaA
  • Like 1
  • LOL 14