[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

13 minutes ago, Dramafreak said:

how did LR return to Corea so close to the crime date to collect baby SJ? How come no one recognized him? Also, he discovered Korea pretty late (Korean countrrpart's body is found in Corea in 1995) so how was he able to swap SJ so quickly?

It's a good question. I think they will explain this next episode because in the Episode 10 preview they also show Prince Buyeong meeting Lee Rim and Lee Rim has blood on his face. I think this meeting must have happened on the same day of the treason. Not sure but maybe Lee Rim stayed in Corea for sometime before heading to the parallel world. Just my guess. 

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

You don't wanna know what I rewatched record times of? It happened when I was younger obviously. 

Aladdin 1992 the original animated film:ph34r:

Arabian Nights....Cool (The First OTP for me ever)

56 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

I think somebody already posted that those are two different sets of kids.

I did way back. :D

41 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

Not entirely too quick.  Young LG ascended to the throne 6 days after the death of his father and he had to mourn him for 26 days. So that's almost a month from the coup.  Nevertheless, your question how come no one recognized him is valid.

Cue Yup Correct!! LR returned earlier as he had to deposit his ROK doppleganger to KOC and make it look as if the guards killed him. Maybe that and SJ being taken away happened between a month (baby LG had to mourn for 26 days +6 days passed for his recovery after that alleged LR's body was found on the lakeside).The exact timeline SJ waited for his mom is not shown from what I can recall.

• Like 11

Wow. Episode 9 is such a masterpiece in itself. Everything was well-balanced: the fantasy, romance, comedy, and drama aspects. There’s even suspense included (Who else here was shocked at the yo-yo boy looking straight at the camera? That part gave me chills.)

EDITING
The editing was top-notch
, the transitions were finally seamless, and the use of background music blended well with the atmosphere that a scene is trying to portray. I particularly loved his conversation with Prince Buyeong about Fate. Their dialogue was quite obvious but it gives off that melancholic vibe as Fate plays a crucial role in this drama. This fact, along with the OST Maze as a background music made the scene dramatically beautiful.

ROMANCE // LEE-EUL FEELS

I can’t believe this kind of heavy drama would make me ship so hard, though. The romance really picked up (maybe the editing helped) and even though the kiss scene was a simple peck, their love for each other stood out most compared to the previous episodes. Finally, I can feel the LeeEul feels!! Hehe.

LG and LR FACE-OFF

This is the drama’s turning point. LG and LL finally faced each other. They’re standing on the same battlefield now that LG is finally aware of LL’s plans. Again, this drama broke another kdrama trope. LG realised three things at once: 1) LL’s location 2) LL’s plan to be immortal and the switching of parallel counterparts 3) LL didn’t age. I’m glad they didn’t drag this unfolding process further. LMH’s acting is so good. That 2G phone snap... I was like daaamn when that scene happened. And his anger at the last minute... I was like daaamn again. Lol.

ES posing as JY

The ES scenes in KOC were my favorites. I was either smiling or laughing the whole time he was there. Starting from the red balloon, to the “Winter is Coming” and “Yes, your Majesty” lines, and even the PPL scenes made it better lol (the first time PPL didn’t bother me, even the PPL reached KOC! lol) His expressions and internal dialogue b/w the PM and LG’s exchange was so hilarious. “People here are so aggressive.” Hahaha.

SJ

LL’s comment on SJ as being his wrong move and TE as a move he didn’t make may hint that these two or either one will play a crucial role in the time travel part that will put an end to his plans.

THE FIRST SCENE AND THE 2022 DATE IN THE CCTV (Adding this to the Time Loop / Multiple Timeline theory)

The first scene of LG and TE was out of context and at first, I assumed it might be from the future. But these actions of TE told me otherwise:

a) Her question towards LG, “How do you go back and forth between the two worlds?” Obviously the TE we know is fully aware of that, as she crossed the portal with LG on episode 2. This scene is implying that the TE from this scene didn’t know. Thus, we can conclude that this is from another timeline or from a recurring loop.

b) The way she casually mentioned the PM’s name as if both of them talked about her frequently. In the recent episodes, they never talked about her at all.

c) I believe that this first scene and TE’s video with the yo-yo boy are from the same timeline.

Again, I’m sorry for the long post. This recent episode just gave me all the FEELS and CHILLS lol. This is how it should’ve been from the start, but every moment of this episode makes up for the stiffness of the previous ones. So much happened but it was very light to watch.

Looking forward to episode 10! :wub:

• Like 12
  • Love 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 5

5 minutes ago, rcresh said:

a) Her question towards LG, “How do you go back and forth between the two worlds?” Obviously the TE we know is fully aware of that, as she crossed the portal with LG on episode 2. This scene is implying that the TE from this scene didn’t know. Thus, we can conclude that this is from another timeline or from a recurring loop.

I took it as her asking how he was able to cross. Just because you have crossed between both worlds doesn't mean you'll know how. The secret LG is keeping is that you need the flute to do so. Even if she was to stand at the bamboo forest, the gates are not going to open for her. She wants to know how he was able to get the gates to appear and cross between worlds. That's my take on this. 

9 minutes ago, rcresh said:

b) The way she casually mentioned the PM’s name as if both of them talked about her frequently. In the recent episodes, they never talked about her at all.

I think she's just mentioning PM a lot in this episode because she's gotten much closer to LG so she feels more jealous now towards other women in LG's life and the only one she knows that stays around LG a lot is the PM. Last episode we got her confession so we know she's already decided she is going all in on this relationship even though it might end. So in this episode as someone who had confessed previous episode, she's beginning to open up more on her feelings towards this relationship with LG. 

• Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, rcresh said:

) Her question towards LG, “How do you go back and forth between the two worlds?” Obviously the TE we know is fully aware of that, as she crossed the portal with LG on episode 2. This scene is implying that the TE from this scene didn’t know. Thus, we can conclude that this is from another timeline or from a recurring loop.

Her Question basically was "How do you manage to Open the Portal." Jte in both the scenes is aware of the Passage, she wanted to know how he or LR access it (magic spell, instrument etc), both the occurence is in the Same Time Loop not different.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, yuiy78 said:

There was one particular scene in FAITH where Daejang had to wait Imja doing her shower. When Imja finally came out, this suddenly face to face in real close range happened. 

His gaze was really intense. Straight to her eyes. Definitely a gaze from a man to woman that he loved. Till now, I still feel that his gaze was real not just acting.

@Heretorantor @mychoiyoung or @vangsweetie637 maybe you remember this scene guys? 

For me, this is one of my fave scenes in FAITH.

@yuiy78, yes, that scene is one of my favorites in all of his work, although I admit I’m a Faith fanatic. Another intense scene with that look is when he was saying farewell to SC (the mermaid) in LotBS; that one also had a strong overlay of grief. Maybe it’s the same quote, just said a little differently, but I remember reading that the Faith screenwriter said that when she has an actor who can look at a woman the way he does, she feels very fortunate. That killer gaze is back and on full display in this series...Wow!

@CallieP, to answer your question about why some of us really liked LMH in the Choi Young role: To me, CY is a romantic figure at the start of the series, this extraordinarily beautiful, skillful, smart and tough 14th c. warrior with a very wounded heart covered by a stoic demeanor.  Then watching him decide to come alive again, choosing to help the young king consolidate his throne and slowly falling in love with a very modern, outspoken 20th century woman, was a compelling combination for me. I just fell in love with the character. There are so many touching scenes where he struggles with his own feelings, slowly shows his love and lets himself be vulnerable to her, just utterly endearing as depicted so skillfully by LMH.  In my humble opinion, the CY role was his best work until this series. 

BTW, I’m also rewatching Personal Taste (2010) right now, and the difference in his acting skill between that and just two years later in Faith (2012) is striking. He’s continued to grow as an actor, again in full display in TKEM.

• Like 6
  • Love 4

Sisters, we got a lot of things right, didn’t we?!  The drama is unfolding as we expected it to be. Yahoo!! Very pleased with the direction it’s going. 

• Yo -Yo Boy – the significance of him in Corea and the relation between him and JTE (aka Luna) is becoming more and more apparent. LG will look into this for us in next few episodes. 
  • Time loops and travels – same timeline repeating in different loops. LG saw JTE with different cloth walking by yo-yo boy in video. LG will soon understand that he, himself is eternal, going through time loops. He and JTE have been repeating their love story over and over. As the man believes in science, he  began to accept fate playing a big part in all that’s happened in life. 
  • SJ (I called him tragic Dark Knight) will turn dark briefly because his resentment of all that happened to him but will eventually make final epic sacrifice for his King and secret love- JTE. 

As I said, and I will say it thousand times, a fearless confident man is most attractive than his outward appearance. How magnificent our King looked with those piercing dangerous eyes!! Did you all feel the heat as I did? WOW, just WOW!!! The sexist look and feel that he has manifested so far.
I am going to stop theorizing and just fully take in all the gloriousness of King as he continues his quest to find the perfect solution to restore the balance of universes and the destiny of  him and his fated love. Whether my theory is proven right or wrong,  it does not matter as I have been thoroughly entertained by it. And through it, I have fun meeting (virtually) all of you in this board to share our wild passions for this fantastic storyline, superb actors/actresses, and beautiful visuals each week. I am one very happy viewer. 

To add - I hope the interest in this show will lead to additional seasons or specials. I want a proper background storytelling on Corea's PM Koo and Lee Rim (or Lee Lim). This character screams Lucifer. 

• Like 12
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1

23 minutes ago, CallieP said:

@vangsweetie637, @Heretorant, @msdot , @mychoiyoung  and I think a few others made the comment but I can't remember your names, sorry, that Choi Young is your favorite .  I am interested in knowing what it is about Choi Young that you all love so much. :)

For me it was because he wasn't the stereotypical overbearing male lead. He was understanding. He saw ES left and waited for her patiently to return. Also in the beginning it was rumored he was a ruthless warrior, but most people just fail to understand him. He just had to be guarded because of his station and his loyalty and ES was able to let him relax more. And that ending scene was just beautiful and satisfying. The character has much more to him than most of all the other characters LMH had acted as before. I like City Hunter for the action but in terms of character, Faith is probably one of his best roles. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7

3 hours ago, Deepakmahajan said:

Hey guys. Miss all the posts here but life has taken a big turn. I am suffering from crona. I am working in some important government related work and don't know when i caught it, despite all precautions.  Thankfully i came in contact wih very few people and none of them have caught it.

Chest pain, lack of breathing. I miss the drama and debates, but right now i am very sad with my situation. Will try to catchup drama today,  as i had access to netflix on my phone now. Please pray for me and all people. Please follow lockdown and don't take it lightly. 

Take care! Get well soon! :)

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

46 minutes ago, CallieP said:

@vangsweetie637, @Heretorant, @msdot , @mychoiyoung  and I think a few others made the comment but I can't remember your names, sorry, that Choi Young is your favorite .  I am interested in knowing what it is about Choi Young that you all love so much. :)

Spoiler

Choi Young was illustrated as a really cold character in the beginning but actually, his true self is so heart-warming. He didn’t speak much about his feelings but his eyes always did that for him. LMH is very good with his eyes and in his character as Daejang, his eyes and expressions were phenomenal. We could see his love, his pain, his happiness, his sadness, his struggles, his anger, all through his eyes. If you want to see an actor truly act with his eyes and tone, then LMH as Choi Young is one of the best. The love story between him and Imja felt so real that my heart tugged with them at every moment they shared.

Choi Young’s presence was so mesmerizing that even to this day, when I think of Faith, the first thing that I always remember is him and the love story that came from his unspeakable words :wub: I cannot truly describe it. You have to decide for yourself lol. If you have not watched Faith, you should. The storyline isn’t simple nor perfect. But you can definitely decide if Choi Young is worth all the love or not ;) 

p.s. LMH has played many characters in dramas. But his character as CY is always going to be my favorite :wub:

@yuiy78 omg! How can I ever forget that scene?? Honestly, I remember a lot of scenes from that drama :wub:

• Like 2
  • Love 5

This episode was simply incredible! LMH in particular was amazing. The way he portrayed such an intensity of emotions with his eyes was breathtaking. The music in the episode was also great, the utilization of the OST amazing. For example it was great that it suddenly stopped when time froze. And the way music was used to build tension - I was at the edge of my seat!

LOVE LG's direct and aggressive attitude towards the traitors and spies in this episode. Also love his threatening call to LL. 

Where will things go from here? Some ideas:

- Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm still very sure that there is only one time traveller/shooter/savior. Perhaps the shoes are different - but it is a fairly common continuity error (that there are different shoes for the same character in the same scene) which often occurs in action packed scenes where feet, hands or other body parts apart from the face are in focus. These kinds of scenes takes a long time to do and often body doubles are used for reshoots or just because the actor is needed to do other scenes and time must be saved.

We don't see the shooter moving continuously because we are seeing him from different points of view, for example when he reach down to check young LG's pulse the shoot is sideways as to create the feeling for the viewer that we are watching it from young LG's point of view. Unrelated but it is an amazing scene. 

1 hour ago, rcresh said:

THE FIRST SCENE AND THE 2022 DATE IN THE CCTV (Adding this to the Time Loop / Multiple Timeline theory)

The first scene of LG and TE was out of context and at first, I assumed it might be from the future. But these actions of TE told me otherwise:

- Regarding different time lines. JTE does not know that it is the flute which opens the gate (LG doesn't share that info in ep 4/5, the first time she goes through the portal) so I don't think that her asking about the method is a clue that she is from a different time line.

Her different clothes however is interesting. LG states that she didn't wear those clothes that day. I'm guessing he probably deduced which day he is looking at because he is watching JY's clips in order so that's fine. Then he asks himself if it is a mistake that the tape states the date as 2022-05-27. Makes sense, he believes he knows the date he is looking at due to how the clips are strung together. So the fact that she is suddenly (to him) wearing different clothes could very well be an indication that the clip is from the future and/or a different time line (as people here have theorized)... But it is 2020 in both time lines, so why 2022? Will so much time progress in the show?

• Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 4

Let’s do some simple math here:

1 minute in world between = 1 hour in real world

24 minutes in world between = 24 hours in real world

1 day in world between = 60 days in real world

6 days 2 hours in world between = 1 year in real world 

152 days in world between = 25 years in real world

Wow, it’s no wonder Lee Rim stayed young for so long! If he spent all this time there, he’d have only aged around 152 days. Of course we know he lived in Korea partially and must come out to eat someway somehow but still! *mind blown* :scream:

Bravo to those of you who guessed that he stayed in the world between. I, unfortunately, was not one. I lost the bet this time hehehe ^_^

• Like 17
  • Awesome 1

My Thoughts/Review of Ep. 9: WOW WHAT AN EPISODE!

LG/JTE Lakeview Scene:

V4CS4jD.png

-Reminded me of the whole scene between Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark by the lake. Also someone else mentioned here, the similarity of how Rhaegar Targaryen had left his best knight to protect/guard his love (Lyanna Stark) also parallels with how in TKEM, LG chooses to leave JY (his best knight) in ROK not only to kill LR, but to protect his love. Further exemplifies that LG is not so much concerned with his own life, but more concerned about the life of the woman he loves.

619?cb=20170828153738

ES KOC Lock Room Scene:

mUa4Av5.png

Spoiler

MAzCuWb.png

-HAHA ES SAYS "WINTER IS COMING" [Literally Dead....Totally confirms that KES is a Game of Thrones Fan]; And the whole saying " Seok Ho-pil, He must've been named after a TV series character" [“Seok,” or “rock,” symbolized a firm will; “ho,” or “tiger,” fierceness; and “pil,” meaning “to help,” signified helping the weak] haha!

-Also anyone notice how ES says he should wear 3 vests and how thats connect to what LG told JY in ep.1? 

Spoiler

BqVn61n.png

Spoiler

uTwUwXv.png

The Alley:

-I just have to say again how great of an actor WDH is!

-Initially looks at Nari with puppy eyes filled with love

Spoiler

C7MOegg.png

-Finds out Nari doesn't find him as attractive anymore (he's like who does this B think she is haha)

Spoiler

fHugdkQ.png

Flashback Scene to Hotel Room with ES and JY:

-Some have mentioned how it doesn't seem probable that ES would go to KOC, but in the following scenes, writer KES provides of why it is probable. Just as JY sees LG as his brother and wants to protect him at all cost, ES also shares the same sentiments when it comes to his twin siblings. Therefore, the way ES sees it, by him going to KOC he's doing what he can to protect his own siblings in ROK [ES isn't a complete idiot after all with mentioning how he scored a perfect CSAT score and thus he knows what's at risk if LR has the whole flute]. Basically, ES is telling JY indirectly, I will protect LG with my life just as I would have done for my own siblings. 

Spoiler

qsrKPPt.png

Spoiler

FfMuKT9.pngkDva2re.png

LG/JTE Taekwando Scene:

-I loved the whole part where LG tells her how he can't stay too long in the in between place because 1 day there is two months outside. I totally talked about this two weeks ago! Wonder if the second half of my post about both him and JTE staying there will COME TRUE?!!!

0SvWXaQ.png

-That whole part of him asking her "Cant you come with me? Cant you live with me in my world?" is a reference to what LG's two conditions were in ep. 7. So her answer of "Dont ask me to come with you" which essentially communicates "of course I want to come and live with you in your world, but I also have to think of this world too" AWWWWW

Spoiler

fRtf3ii.png

Ay3bAFH.png

sHy7UXD.png

Other Hilarious ES Moments: 

-HAHA BOY TOOK THE RED BALLON .....Literally dying from laugher [also ES holding the red ballon reminds me of Georgie from "IT" holding a red ballon :joy:]

Spoiler

3LA5CTI.png

-And this...describes all the feels with the PM trying to get with LG

Spoiler

T2eFSn0.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll probably post later about the whole fate stuff because that's a whole different kind of monster to tackle mentally right now !!

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 13
  • LOL 4
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, mychoiyoung said:

Not entirely too quick.  Young LG ascended to the throne 6 days after the death of his father and he had to mourn him for 26 days. S

According to the voice over of the newscast it is the 6th day of the mourning.

I think.

So that would mean he is back in Corea within 12 days?

*EDITED 

@ms_inquiry hi! I dont know how much will the show be able to deliver but what I can say is that it is a possibility that through montage placed at strategic plot points they can get the characters to realize that future travel is possible. This then can help then realize that 1994 is possible.

I would have liked to see the time loop repeated at least once with all the gaps that they have left filled, but of course that cant happen.

I cant tell whether there was one saviour or multiple. I personally think that one side profile shows a not-flatchested character but  the focus on the hands shows that they belong to a male! I also dont think they would make such a in -your-face continuity error with regard to the shoes. If you see then through out the series they have a thing for shoes ... they keep focusing on them and not just for effects. And that episode 1 fight sequence is not smoothly cut/edited and now I think it is deliberate. Either to show two people from two timelines or to show some teamwork happening.

Btw they now have two continuity errors to account for: LG's neck scar and the shoes. Hopefully they are not continuity errors but who knows!

• Like 5

Faith, God, LG and LL

- Love the idea that Faith Boy is leading LG to the bookstore which is probably LL's portal. Faith Boy might also be the rabbit at the riding range as people have guessed. It must matter that we saw Luna give him the rabbit jacket. 

- The encounter between Faith Boy and LG was quite ominous though. He looks straight at LG, then the storm starts in the video/in Faith Boy's world, suddenly it is occurring simultaneously in LG's world (KOC) and LGs scar acts up, he is in pain. Is there going to be a prize to pay for traveling and messing with the dimensions - and or time? Is using the broken flute what causes it? Cause no other travelers are suffering any ill effects.The scene makes it seem like Faith Boy directly or indirectly causes it. Later in the episode we also have LG talking about challenging or accepting fate, The inscription of the sword however (maybe?) seem to indicate that LG is meant to fight and defeat the evil, which is LL who we now know is trying to become eternal (and probably an eternal monarch).

So is LG chosen by Faith to restore balance to the universes? And/or time? In Ep 1 LL even states his disregard for God/Faith, and his plan might very well be to use the flute to time travel to manipulate reality to his own liking. So LG could therefore be a character chosen by Faith to stop him. Kings/Queens/Emperors were often in olden times said to be chosen by God, so it makes sense in a symbolic way. 

Spoiler

LG will definitely become a time traveler as we now know, and there is nothing more radical a person can do to challenge fate than to rewrite time. If Faith Boy is helping LG find LL that could be because LL is revolting against Faith by trying to get the flute for the purpose of time traveling to rewrite history/time. LG is thus meant, as the text on the sword seem to indicate, to set things right - perhaps through time travel.

I'm a bit worried what the scar/shoulder injury will mean for LG...

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1