[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

I'm so glad it was clarified that ShinJae is not related to the royal family at all.

I have often wondered why there was so much attention to him and my wild imagination gave birth to conspiracy theories.

1. SJ is the bastard child of LR with the court lady.

2. SJ is LG's doppelganger ( different face due to plastic surgery)

3. SJ doppelganger kid is immortal because he's being used by LR for errands.

Feel free to jump into my crazy bandwagon and stir my mind with more ideas.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

Hye everyone!! This is not related to theory or anything but i just want to let this out of my chest. The rating for the king last night was the lowest in the tv cable rating. Like I know it has been no.1 in netflix all around asia and all but i'm just really2 sad. Do people in korea are really not  interested in this drama? I just hope the team and the actors will not be discourage by this. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

17 minutes ago, Megustas said:

Hye everyone!! This is not related to theory or anything but i just want to let this out of my chest. The rating for the king last night was the lowest in the tv cable rating. Like I know it has been no.1 in netflix all around asia and all but i'm just really2 sad. Do people in korea are really not  interested in this drama? I just hope the team and the actors will not be discourage by this. 

It's the last week for TWOTM so people are probably all tuning into that. Let's just patiently wait for next week and keep our support on TKEM. :)

@1ouise Oh you're right! But that still begs the question that their doppelganger would've never existed in the first place then. :o:o

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Exploration of Themes TKEM

Here's my analysis on some themes as it pertains to world of TKEM. Sorry if this isn't organized in a more coherent and cohesive manner!

Analysis: 

I. Fate

In literature, fate has been depicted in many heroic tales as a central theme. Sophocles viewed fate as far out-powering the human will. Meaning that the harder you try to fight your fate, the faster you will arrive at that very fate. Many characters in Sophocles's plays after some resistance had accepted their fate (e.g Oedipus Rex). On the other hand , Shakespeare believed that despite knowing your fate, you should still fight it until your very last breathe as to remain a master of your own choices (e.g Hamlet; free will vs predetermined fate). 

KES illustrated these two predominant views of fate in the exchange between Prince B and LG (like what what ..... amazing KES!!!):

Shakespeare's View of Fate

B0Scn7B.png

Sophocles View of Fate:

Spoiler

8wkjJ8D.png

2rgUwAI.png

In this case, Prince B is advises LG to take Sophocles's view of fate. I have a small quibb about this because usually in hero legends or tales, a hero's fate is not usually good. In TKEM however, LG's fate I guess was to meet/fall in love with JTE (why fight a positive fate right?).

Rewinding back to ep.7 in that whole scene between LG and JTE. JTE in some words also accepted and embraced/loved her fate aka meeting/falling in love with LG despite a potential bad outcome (death). Again, KES shows JTE taking Sophocles's view of fate. In contrast to the positive undertones of LG's fate aka marrying JTE or whatever, JTE's fate aka being with LG has more negative undertones to it (potential foreshadow). This was illustrated with her saying, "I was struck with a sad premonition that this will be short-lived". Essentially, she was like "whelp I know I'm fated to meet/love LG and this will probably cause me to die, but I'm not going to fight it".

EJuBGKL.png

Spoiler

kl7KHD2.png

5vZThqZ.png

CYnzky1.png

NOiD7PC.png

gffL2Cz.png

Spoiler

Htyc6Nn.png

Another thing to mention is that often, "fate" and "destiny" are used synonymously even though they are quite different things. Fate is something that is predetermined and unchangeable whereas destiny can be changed or shaped by an individual. I am glad that KES made this clear distinction in today's episode by having Headcourt Lady say " You're chasing your destiny aren't you?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what does this all mean? Well its showing that it is LG's destiny to essentially change the course of events (ID tag or installing that future 2022 vid on JY's computer knowing his present self would see it) in order to change JTE's fate. Yes, fate typically CANNOT be changed unless I guess there's some sort of divine intervention (we are in KES's TKEM world so normal rules don't apply here). And at this point in TKEM, such divine intervention could include two things "time traveling" or "God-like figures" (Eternal King).

II. Good Versus Evil

Here KES defines what is "good" and "evil" by having LG say, " Even if I can have an eternal life in there, I would come to you". Thus, making LG more deserving of having the whole flute. In KES's TKEM world, good is defined as giving up immortality for love. While "evil" is defined as gaining immortality in order to be a complete authoritative ruler of two worlds. I would like to think that good will overcome evil, but who knows at this point. :joy:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another way you can look at this whole story, is that KES is a GODDESS. She's the one that controls the narrative/direction of the story. Ultimately, it's in her hands what kind of ending we will get. No amount of foreshadowing or symbolism can provide us, the viewers, of what will happen since normal rules don't apply in the world of TKEM.  Whether it be a sad, happy, or bittersweet ending, KES deserves an award for her writing for TKEM. Like seriously !!!:glasses:

• Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 8
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, koreaboooo said:

It's the last week for TWOTM so people are probably all tuning into that. Let's just patiently wait for next week and keep our support on TKEM. :)

TWOTM is not in the same timeslot as TKEM, it overlaps just slightly but TKEM starts before TWOTM. TKEM overlaps with variety shows on both Friday and Saturday. From observation, it would be very difficult for TKEM ratings to pickup drasticly in the 2nd half. Especially with the negative buzz going around it. 

With that said, keep supporting and enjoying TKEM. Imo, the drama has many flaws which many have pointed out. The 1st half unfortunately did not manage to grip viewers to stay for more.

I hope TKEM becomes more interesting and the ratings pick up or at least maintain and don't drop more. Fighting TKEM!!!

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

As I mentioned many times before, just don't pay attention to the ratings.  You'll just get disappointed.  It has nothing to do with TWOTM (which is on a different time slot).   It has more to do with the fact that this show has not interested Korean viewers and there are many reasons for that.

Don't also hope that ratings will suddenly rise because that's just not how trending goes.  It will go down, so just brace yourselves for it.

It shouldn't matter as long as you enjoy the show yourself.  At the end of the day, that's the only thing that matters.

• Like 8
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, gwin said:

As I mentioned many times before, just don't pay attention to the ratings.  You'll just get disappointed.  It has nothing to do with TWOTM (which is on a different time slot).   It has more to do with the fact that this show has not interested Korean viewers and there are many reasons for that.

Don't also hope that ratings will suddenly rise because that's just not how trending goes.  It will go down, so just brace yourselves for it.

It shouldn't matter as long as you enjoy the show yourself.  At the end of the day, that's the only thing that matters.

I've been trying to ignore the ratings, but I do care about it somehow just because I am assuming it would make the people behind it happy were it higher or at least kept at 2 digits. But what can we do. I want to enjoy watching without looking at internet stuff from ep 10 onwards, but it would be too difficult to backread here if I change my mind later. :sweat_smile:

• Like 6

‪JTE walks by and date on cctv is 27-5-2022.

This could mean 2 things; Despite her asking LG not to ask her to come, JTE eventually follows LG to KOC. That yoyo kid exist on KOC, not ROK.

Or that is JTE from a different dimension/timeline.

Now I’m really curious.

The kid might be keeper of time, no?

• Like 9
  • Insightful 4

3 hours ago, nikki7 said:

‪JTE walks by and date on cctv is 27-5-2022.

This could mean 2 things; Despite her asking LG not to ask her to come, JTE eventually follows LG to KOC. That yoyo kid exist on KOC, not ROK.

Or that is JTE from a different dimension/timeline.

Now I’m really curious.

The kid might be keeper of time, no?

The Yoyo kid exists in both worlds. He was the one who “accidentally” bumped into JTE when she lost her original Id. 
The kid could be the keeper of time. I don’t know.Im a little bit (?) in naming him..But he’s definitely a deity.

@Emely Vidanes Yes, I think so.

• Like 10

Why is it that no one finishes what they are eating when they are talking? 

PM had food in front of her. She just walked away eating a tiny bite. LG and JTE ordered crispy tasty chicken. But LG only took one bite. 

Do me a favor:

original.gif

:joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 22

13 minutes ago, Lisa_BB said:

I've been trying to ignore the ratings, but I do care about it somehow just because I am assuming it would make the people behind it happy were it higher or at least kept at 2 digits. But what can we do. I want to enjoy watching without looking at internet stuff from ep 10 onwards, but it would be too difficult to backread here if I change my mind later. :sweat_smile:

I used to care also but i don’t give a crap anymore. Lol.

what’s important is the show is improving. Editing and storyline is really good last night imo. So don’t worry too much.

LMH & KGE proves you don’t need sex to sell chemistry. So kudos to these 2 talented actors.

81-DEFADF-F9-FA-4-DCC-91-D8-C663-C396-BC

5 minutes ago, nrbrown said:

The Yoyo kid exists in both worlds. He was the one who “accidentally” bumped into JTE when she lost her original Id. 
The kid could be the keeper of time. I don’t know.Im a little bit (?) in naming him..But he’s definitely a diety.

He’s wearing a cleaner outfit in ROK, if I remember it right. The one in KOC dresses in rags when he meets Luna.

• Like 10
  • Love 4

EYCaQ4eU0AE-3zF?format=jpg&name=small

EYCaPaxUMAER0lH?format=jpg&name=small

Lee Min-ho's explosive emotional performance held even viewers breath.

Lee Min-ho's roar of anger toward Lee Jung-jin in the SBS Friday-Saturday drama "The King: Eternal Monarch" overwhelmed viewers with stifling tension, heralding a fierce confrontation. 

Lee Min-ho's passionate performance, which naturally expands the amplitude of Lee Gon's emotions, from his overwhelming feelings to his relentless efforts to catch Lee Rim in the Korean Empire, gave him an unprecedented sense of immersion.

And finally, Lee Min-ho, who has been calmly saving his emotions for the second half of the drama, completed the tense scene in the ninth episode as he burst out when he came to face Lee Jung-jin.

# A thrilling declaration of war for Lee Jung-jin, "You'll have to hide better."

Lee Min-ho, like an emperor, increased his immersion with his acting, as he showed great power even with a single tone of speech. "You'll have to hide better. I just found out that you are in Korea now" - the declaration of war made viewers feel stifling tension and thrilling catharsis at the same time.

# The start of judgment 

Staring fiercely at Lee Sang-do, who was so nervous, Lee Gon said, "How could you when you don't even have the guts nor the caliber," pressing down his anger, feeling a different level of pressure than before.

# Confrontation after 25 years - a strong roar ending "Rebellious Lee Rim!"

Lee Min-ho's roar, "Rebel Lee Rim!" marked the all-time ending by raising dramatic tension and immersion to the highest level. Unlike the situation 25 years ago when he fought against his uncle Lee Rim with his small physique, Lee Gon's overwhelming charisma now looking down at Lee Rim gave a thrill, and Lee Min-ho's hot performance, which quickly dominated the screen, was well received.  

# Heartbreaking words "Can't you live with me in my world?”

"I'm going to miss you so much, can you come with me? Can't you live with me in my world?" Lee Min-ho's heartfelt words further heightened the affectionate atmosphere and touched the hearts of viewers.

On the other hand, Lee Gon, who was viewing CCTV footage of the Korean Empire, was shocked as a yo-yo boy near a bookstore stared at him through the screen. When the boy bounces the yo-yo, thunder and lightning hit the window and he felt the pain in his shoulder. In addition, strange points such as the date of May 27, 2022 on the screen, Jeong Tae-eul's change of clothes, and nonexistent bookstore, were vividly portrayed with Lee Min-ho's shaky eyes, redoubling the sense of urgency. 

The 10th episode of the SBS Friday-Saturday drama "The King," which features Lee Min-ho's passionate performance, will air at 10 p.m. today (16th) Saturday.

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/109/0004207324?lfrom=twitter

• Like 15
  • Love 3

Loving all the key developments we got in episode 9. Like many of you said, this is the kind of show where the viewer needs to think and put together all the clues and pieces in order to enjoy it the most. Thanks to all of you for all your sharing and thoughts. 

https://kdramaanalysis.com/2020/05/15/the-king-eternal-monarch-episode-9/

• Like 8
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, Emely Vidanes said:

Does anybody here knows  half of the flute of LG  is on his stick handle and LR in the handle of his umbrella?

@Emely Vidanes Yes, half of the flute is hidden in LG's whip, while the other half is in the handle of LR's umbrella.

• Like 3