[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

Hi again ladies and gents. WOW. 

I just finished watching episode 9 and again WOW. I’m still teary eyed and still have goosebumps.  It was that INCREDIBLE. :heart:

LMH...you were an outstanding chameleon in this episode ...you are definitely a King, from the top of your head all the way down to your big feet. Heehee! :wub:

Kidding aside...I loved everything about this episode. Especially the opening and ending scenes.  

Might I also add that imo, LG’S & JTE’S love story is conveyed so passionately by the 2 stars, yet it doesn’t even involve too much kissing or skinship. That’s when you know that their delivery of the little things is making a huge impact. 

Anyone else feel emotional during the last 15-20 mins of the episode?  :bawling:

• Like 8
  • Love 9

As emotionally satisfying as his answer was, I have a feeling Lee Gon might regret telling the PM that he already proposed to someone else. She is so ambitious that she’s likely to throw in with LL if he can promise her more power.

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

I like the scenes between SJ and the psychiatrist, eventhough they are  rare.

+ @koreaboooo

I found the last dialogue in that scene very interesting: are you really a doctor?

I find her very suspicious. Either she is planted by LR or yup, it should be a love interest. Otherwise her being introduced and getting so much screentime doesnt make sense (to me :D )

that is not to say that I dont like the scenes but i find them a bit too slice-of-life types than a part of thriller drama... not sure if i can explain that more.

*Edited 

@msdot i agree! she is the only one who has met Luna and though she is scared, she wants to get the King to owe her enough to make her his queen. Does that mean she will become the end of JTE just so that she can get the position?

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

Let’s do some simple math here:

1 minute in world between = 1 hour in real world

24 minutes in world between = 24 hours in real world

1 day in world between = 60 days in real world

6 days 2 hours in world between = 1 year in real world 

152 days in world between = 25 years in real world

Wow, it’s no wonder Lee Rim stayed young for so long! If he spent all this time there, he’d have only aged around 152 days. Of course we know he lived in Korea partially and must come out to eat someway somehow but still! *mind blown* :scream:

Bravo to those of you who guessed that he stayed in the world between. I, unfortunately, was not one. I lost the bet this time hehehe ^_^

One thing i noticed in this episode and brought back memories from Other Episodes are how Lee Rim seemingly always adjusting his gold clock after crossing the portal. Im gonna investigate more when re watching tonight, as to which direction he adjust his clock. Counter clock or moving forward. Not sure if it has a lot to do with the time traveling but worth looking into

• Like 6
  • Insightful 9

45 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

Let’s do some simple math here:

1 minute in world between = 1 hour in real world

24 minutes in world between = 24 hours in real world

1 day in world between = 60 days in real world

6 days 2 hours in world between = 1 year in real world 

152 days in world between = 25 years in real world

Wow, it’s no wonder Lee Rim stayed young for so long! If he spent all this time there, he’d have only aged around 152 days. Of course we know he lived in Korea partially and must come out to eat someway somehow but still! *mind blown* :scream:

Bravo to those of you who guessed that he stayed in the world between. I, unfortunately, was not one. I lost the bet this time hehehe ^_^

That's a place with no air, no sun, no wind, nothing grows according to LG. It's a state of vacuum in galaxy. Being there is like being vacuum-packed and then frozen. Or think of it as mummified.  No wonder the bio-cell slows down. I will sign up on the list to go if they ever open it up for public. Or just tell me where to buy one of those fancy Corea's facial mask that King and PM uses as part of their facial routine. :smirk:

• Like 5
  • LOL 7

1 hour ago, msdot said:

@yuiy78, yes, that scene is one of my favorites in all of his work, although I admit I’m a Faith fanatic. Another intense scene with that look is when he was saying farewell to SC (the mermaid) in LotBS; that one also had a strong overlay of grief. Maybe it’s the same quote, just said a little differently, but I remember reading that the Faith screenwriter said that when she has an actor who can look at a woman the way he does, she feels very fortunate. That killer gaze is back and on full display in this series...Wow!

@CallieP, to answer your question about why some of us really liked LMH in the Choi Young role: To me, CY is a romantic figure at the start of the series, this extraordinarily beautiful, skillful, smart and tough 14th c. warrior with a very wounded heart covered by a stoic demeanor.  Then watching him decide to come alive again, choosing to help the young king consolidate his throne and slowly falling in love with a very modern, outspoken 20th century woman, was a compelling combination for me. I just fell in love with the character. There are so many touching scenes where he struggles with his own feelings, slowly shows his love and lets himself be vulnerable to her, just utterly endearing as depicted so skillfully by LMH.  In my humble opinion, the CY role was his best work until this series. 

BTW, I’m also rewatching Personal Taste (2010) right now, and the difference in his acting skill between that and just two years later in Faith (2012) is striking. He’s continued to grow as an actor, again in full display in TKEM.

Sorry to interrupt ladies but I just can’t help it. @msdot I’m a FAITH lover myself and kudos to you for detailing why many of us are so fond of Choi Young (that’s because LMH made him so admirable and endearing). I know the drama had its share of troubles & controversies, but at the end of the day, for LMH fans like myself, I thank the cast & crew for persevering. FAITH is a gem.  :heart:

• Like 5
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 1

So I haven't seen Episode 9 yet. So I don't think I can comment on anything. I'm sorry. I'm not ignoring anyone. 

This is probably a dumb question. Can Lee Lim go to Jung Tae- Eul's world and Lee Gon's world?( I think I missed something). Does anyone know?

Edit: I meant to say Lee Lim. I said Lee Rim. :bawling:

Edited by 2handsintertwined
oops!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CallieP said:

@vangsweetie637, @Heretorant, @msdot , @mychoiyoung  and I think a few others made the comment but I can't remember your names, sorry, that Choi Young is your favorite .  I am interested in knowing what it is about Choi Young that you all love so much. :)

I love Choi Young because of his dedication, strength, integrity, honesty, skill and grace. He commands respect, is a great leader, a compassionate friend but a savage opponent. He is a very smart & skilled warrior, a very patient teacher and you always feel secure with him. He can be shy and arrogant and  unbelievably lazy that is funny.  I love how he loves his King/s, his Woo Dal Chis and of course Imja. All heart and sincerity.

It does not hurt that he is majestic in his stature, built & looks plus his mane of glory - in whatever 'do -  is swoon-worthy.

LMH was perfect for the role. His eyes, his voice, the way he turned his head, pursed his lips, arched his brows, wielded the sword  - he simply embodied the character.

Too bad the drama suffered from so many production problems but I fell harder in love with the character after reading some of the translations of the novel (3 books) where the drama was based on. SOOOOOOO GOOD.

• Like 6
  • Love 6

29 minutes ago, scrawford said:

One thing i noticed in this episode and brought back memories from Other Episodes are how Lee Rim seemingly always adjusting his gold clock after crossing the portal. Im gonna investigate more when re watching tonight, as to which direction he adjust his clock. Counter clock or moving forward. Not sure if it has a lot to do with the time traveling but worth looking into

Yep, it has everything to do with time loop and travel. Think it this way, it started with 0 when the first time loop occurred with timeline of 24000 hours (for example only). After 24000 hours, it ended back to 0 and 2nd loop started, and so on. But next time, due to event being altered slightly, it took longer or shorter than original 24000 hours. So time needed to be adjusted to account for those difference to make the loop. It's like how time was counted base on observation of stars recurring after certain timeline that forms hours, days, months and years. We as human decided to make adjustment on Feb every 4 years because the stars orbiting creates discrepancy once few years. Maybe not exact but hopefully it's similar idea to explain LG and LR's adjusting time on their watch. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 4

So ya'll are ignoring my post/question? I'm not perfect. 

Me right now:

Porsha Williams Nbc GIF by The New Celebrity Apprentice - Find ...

"I get it. No one likes me." :bawling: and "I'll be fine."

Edit: I'm just kidding. But ya'll really skipped me!

Edit: I don't like ignoring posts. But what can I add? I don't understand anything some of you are saying?

Edit: I'm going to just to some read posts. Don't worry about it. :blush:

crying :(
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, 2handsintertwined said:

So I haven't seen Episode 9 yet. So I don't think I can comment on anything. I'm sorry. I'm not ignoring anyone. 

This is probably a dumb question. Can Lee Lim go to Jung Tae- Eul's world and Lee Gon's world?( I think I missed something). Does anyone know?

Edit: I meant to say Lee Lim. I said Lee Rim. :bawling:

Don't worry, a lot is happening in this drama. But yes Lee Lim is continuously traveling between Tae-Eul's (The Republic) and Lee Gon's world (The Kingdom). 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 2handsintertwined said:

So ya'll are ignoring my post/question? I'm not perfect. 

Me right now:

"I get it. No one likes me." :bawling: and "I'll be fine."

Edit: I'm just kidding. But ya'll really skipped me!

Edit: I don't like ignoring posts. But what can I add? I don't understand anything some of you are saying?

@2handsintertwined sorry, what's your question agan? :joy:  IS it  this one "Can Lee Lim go to Jung Tae- Eul's world and Lee Gon's world?" Lee Lim has been travelling between these two worlds. What episodes are you on? I don't want to spoil it all for you. Keep on watching. You will enjoy it, I promise. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, ms_inquiry said:

Don't worry, a lot is happening in this drama. But yes Lee Lim is continuously traveling between Tae-Eul's (The Republic) and Lee Gon's world (The Kingdom). 

Ok... I trust you. And thank you for answering my question :wub::heart:

Edit: @Keikokoko Someone already answered my question. But thanks! You're so kind! :blush:

edit
  • Like 2

I have Eun Seup  "  네, 폐하 " stuck in my brain. How does Jo Yeong actually say it? Can anyone pinpoint it? I will go to the episode and the minute. Thank you.

It was also strangely satisfying seeing PM Goo shot down by Lee Con.

• Like 3