[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

1 hour ago, Heretorant said:

A part of me feels bad for the cast. 

I am so sad for cast, If I can know they are ok I will be ok. But I know everyday haters write so many hate comments them  and of course they hurt :tears: Really this drama era wear out me , I am ok a day but other day I am sad again. If only they can say that They are happy about dramas international success then I am fine . Really LMH doesn't deserve this, his acting is amazing but they say hate comments without watching .:tears: Just I am working to get over this era.

• Like 7
  • Sad 3
  • Love 1

Like many of you have already said, today's episode was so hard to handle. I love it but it tied my stomach in knots.  First the feel of this love story is beyond sad. You can feel how much they want and need to be together but so much stands in their way, It’s more than just the two worlds thing. It’s the fact that as king he can’t abandon his world. He is a real leader and has no heir. She has ties of family and career so it would be hard to leave her world and what would she do in his. Also I believe that all the traveling between worlds could destroy both. We keep seeing signs that there is instability for the people who are out of place or have a double who is out of place. The introduction of the time slip and the fact that time stands still in the between is so important. Not only is there no time in the between space but it looks like it is a portal that can lead you to different times.

As the king masters traveling between worlds and what the possibilities are in the between I think he is gaining tools to fight his uncle. Both are aware of the other. They know when the other is moving between the worlds. The king also knows about the time slip that happens and how that can affect the lifespan of anyone who knows how to use it. We are getting the set up for a battle that is surely coming. We need to be prepared for one of the main characters to die. When I watched “The King 2 Hearts' ' the king's best friend and chief bodyguard died. I didn’t see that coming so it was heartbreaking and this setup has the same feel as that drama. I also keep hoping for a happy ending but we are running out of time and the vibe is just not a happy one. The pieces are beginning to fall into place but again be prepared for more than one of our favorite people to die.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, cpt_falcon said:

The kid (though I'd take a bet that's not his/it's true form) may have been playing with a yo-yo on the streets of ancient Athens or hanging out outside ancient Egyptian libraries.

Your post reminds me of the three goddesses of Fate in Greek mythology. They are the daughters of Zeus who are often portrayed as three spinners. 

One spins the thread of someone's fate. One decides how long it will be. And one cuts it when it's time. 

Even Zeus himself couldn't interfere with the three goddesses decisions. 

Yoyo is a toy that uses a certain length of thread.

Pretty sure these are related. 

https://www.greekmythology.com/Other_Gods/The_Fates/the_fates.html

That's an article about the myth, if anyone is interested.

I hope this view has never been posted before. If it has, I'm sorry. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KRISHNENDU M said:

What an episode yaar! I have no words to say. This is the TKEM i am waiting for. Finally LMH show who he is. Of course the first half of the show is not perfect. But come on, the polt is so complex it is difficult convey it in screen. The show requires viewers contribution also,not only from the actors and productuon team. And some people not ready to do so. 

And who cares about the rating. Some times i feel tkem is like some films in my state. Some films have unique plot, sci fi theme, mystery etc. They dont do well in cinemas. People in my region like simple stories. But when it comes in tv or any other platform it become hit. Suddenly so many people praise the film and will say its a loss that we cant experience in it theatre. 

I think its mindset of the people want to change. To try something new, to accept the changes.

I believe tkem will become even more successful after the series is ended. Some people like to watch in one stretch. Becoz waiting is frustrating :sweatingbullets:

And i also appreciate whole tkem crew to come up with plot. Becoz it requires so many guts and risk to challenge the existing system. 

Thank you! 

EVERYTHING. YOU. SAID.

I also appreciate and praise the cast and crew for taking on this challenge. It’s one of the first of its kind and they all knew it might not be well accepted but they liked the script and believed in the story.

I just had to point out, too, that many people criticized lmh for taking on his drama before it aired. They said he is, yet again, going for a typical cliche romantic story where he woos the girl and because of his money, eventually wins her over by episode 12. But that’s not at all true! This drama is anything but typical! And you know what? I praise him because he could have taken on a simple romantic comedy and easily made a hit. Instead, he was up for the challenge and accepted The King. 

To put our minds at ease, the cast knew what they were in for and are probably okay. I believe they were prepared for this drama to go one way or another. Watch what they had to say about The King at the end of the presscon. It’s clear to me they saw the risk and took it anyway. And I’m sure they can sense the love from Netflix, Wavve and international audience. They remain number 1 on Wavve which has over 10 million? South Korean subscribers and top 10 on Netflix all over the world, including South Korea. And their Instagram followers have been growing. Enough said? I think they can sense the love! :D 

• Like 10
  • Love 8
  • Thanks 2

Oh I love this show more and more! I still couldn't get over the episode of last night. It was thrilling, romantic and the melo part tugs at my heartstrings. I love how TE hold LG's hands and I love he keep reassuring her that he is fine. Aww... I love how they are very considerate and understand each other so well now. The question whether this is his first dating or not is really something I should realize long ago. Of course this might not be his first time, since he keeps travelling back time and dates her over and over. (It rings a bell for me to the old romantic movie I like, 50 first dates) That's how he excels in flirting at her. Lol. I love their farewell date at the han river. The hug and their convo there are so warm. Loved it :wub:

Now, focus on the plot. It's getting more clearer. Now I believe what we saw in first episode might not be the first timeline. It possibly happens as the result of LG correcting things for that moment. I like how the writer reveals the clue of LG seeing TE passed the yoyo boy in front of the bookstore in 2022. I am curious why would TE walked alone on that date. So this is one of the time loop. That's it writer! I want you to convince me with this!! Now they're already in 2020. Oh... the scene of LG riding on that horse!! It was from the spoiler. I thought it would be much later. Seriously, how could he be so dashing!! Whenever he is in deep thought, serious or being angry. He never lose his cool. So handsome!! Oh my gosh... :lol: I respect TE for not fainting to keep looking at her boyfriend without blushing all the time. If I were her, I would be busy covering my face and faint. Lol *ok ignore my fangirl comments*

I laughed with ES and Young, ES is always be my favorites when it comes to comedy. He never fails to make me laugh with his frantic expressions. Lolololol. Ah... too bad, I can't see hin with that messy hairstyle again. I agreed with NR, the old ES is way much handsome! Young is sexy but I love ES more. Oppsss... sorry for fangirling here... it's hard to post my thought without this. Forgive me. :D

Ok. On the serious note,  I like how LMH and LJJ in that phone call scene. Wow. It's like the two are burning my screen with their expression and words. Dunno why I think this is one of the best scenes in this episode. Their acting are superb! 

Oh... what else to say??? I'll keep it for later. It's already a wall of text up there. Lol. 

Last but not least, the episode feels good but somehow they give me this kind of sad feeling in every way. I don't want anyone to die from LG's side. Don't let him lose the one he loves writer! ES wears extra bulletproof vest please! Yes, you're joining a military now! And I want that CL Noh and Prince BY could meet their daughter in law soon, MOC's queen to be, LG's lover. Don't let anyone die writer!! Because I'm going to cry really bad if that happens. 

• Like 14
  • Love 6

We all know in order to not miss any details, we have to watch carefully. 

Me: I have been trying to finish the episode for the 7th time. 

But kids are making too much noise, fighting over whose play dough belongs to who and who makes the better baby shark.

At this rate, will I even be able to finish the episode at all? 

Mh4iDM1.gif

• Like 1
  • LOL 17
  • Love 1

I really enjoyed ep 9. What did I like?

• LMH's voice was UNREAL when he yelled "Lee Lim".  I've never heard his voice like that in all his dramas.  :o
  • I thought ES as JY was a hoot!  It's so easy to tell something is a little off.  Yeah, and what's with the stickers on JY's computer?  It seems out of character for him

Does anyone else think cafe girl is more interesting than camera girl?  I like JY better with cafe girl.

Is it odd that the King would be in a crowd of people without any bodyguards (at least I didn't see any)?  I know Lee Gon has a history of taking off to parts unknown, but didn't think he roamed around Corea alone.  

• Like 14

What’s happening to TKEM also what happened to Arthdal Chronicles. They have both excellent story but Knetz don’t understand the drama or appreciate the stories behind it. Idc about the ratings becoz netflix is more widespread in the world now. 

• Like 9

So let's examine the preview while waiting for 10 more hours:

1.  That scene with the hug  and JTE crying --- LG going back to Korea and JTE waiting for him?  It can't happen in Corea right?

2.  LR and Prince Buyeong encounter -- Why is LR bloody in the face?  

3.  SJ and JTE going to the place where Ji Hun was buried -- so they're talking again.  The line "I tried calling his name, the name that i remembered" was said by SJ right?

4.  I think this is the episode where JTE agrees to be his queen.

• Like 10

me and my last braincell watching this after a long day of work... trying to make sense of this episode's reveals

1. LR using in between world to stop his aging... it seems to me that they can only let the worlds fast forward since time is slower in no man's land. It doesn't make sense how LG can travel back in time to save himself when time can only movd on in a linear fashion. Unless... LR's half of the flute opens another gate that reverses time. He clearly isn't using the gate that's in the palace ground. And with the theme of balance, it would make sense that his half does the opposite. When combined it allows the user to travel back and forward as he pleases.

2. Time-control kid/diety... so with this writer, she always plays around with themes of destiny and fate, no surprises there. But it seems that the kid is 'fiddling' with destiny in both worlds. He first bumped into JTE making her lose her ID, then he seems to have a connection with Luna in Corea. Now he's dropping big clues for LG as well. Is he the "sage" that LG recited on his sword?

3. The timestamp in the video is 5/25, that's JTE's birthday which i assume is also Luna's birthday. With the merging of the worlds, does it mean that one of them dies to replace the other? A rebirth of a new JTE who's not her, possibly Luna impersonating as her? This has been the rule with dopplegangers thus far. Two cannot exist in one world. It also seems in the preview that Eun-sup might be the next doppleganger in grave danger.

3. The PPLs are really killing the drama. I feel so bad for LMH, that he has to say those cringey lines. He's a good actor, but I can't get immerse in this drama when every other scene gets interrupted with PPLs, this just feels so silly. It's an outdated method of getting sponsorship and I hope he'll stop taking on projects like this. I like the story and it's a shame that they just have to do my man like this. I heard the show even got an infamous nickname from K-netz. The King: PPL Monarch. Okay, that one is funny, it's sad, but it's fair game when they turned their main hero into a walking billboard.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, CarolynH said:

LMH's voice was UNREAL when he yelled "Lee Lim".  I've never heard his voice like that in all his dramas.  :o

His voice changes and I REALLY love it. 

Yeah, and what's with the stickers on JY's computer?  It seems out of character for him

It also makes me wonder how could all the cctv records are in his laptop instead of LG's. Well, he's once asked to investigate about the rabbit and since TE is mistakenly as Luna. He might have the records during the investigation.  The sticker? Well, probably ES? I mean, if the time loop happens, then ES might have traveled back and put it on. 

Does anyone else think cafe girl is more interesting than camera girl?  I like JY better with cafe girl.

Yup. Na Ri is more interesting since she got more screen time and interaction with both rather than MSA. But if Young must end up with NR. I feel bad for ES. I don't want him to be brokenheart. :lol: For now I'm not that bothered who ends up with who between them but whoever the end game hope it is for good. 

Is it odd that the King would be in a crowd of people without any bodyguards (at least I didn't see any)?

Right. See the crowd must be his fans instead of the citizens of MOC. Lololol. But let's assume that behind him, some steps away, there must be some bodyguard team or some sort of sniper who is ready to shot whoever tries to harm him. 

• Like 7

Based on Episode 10 preview, it seems like LR and Luna's gonna meet each other? The one who said 'You're still alive?' must be Luna right? 

This is kinda scary. I am hoping Luna is not totally a bad person. I also hope ES won't die. Please don't writer-nim :bawling:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, gwin said:

1.  That scene with the hug  and JTE crying --- LG going back to Korea and JTE waiting for him?  It can't happen in Corea right?

As far as I observed it, it is in the bamboo forest where the gate between world. TE might be there waiting for him but she can't meet him until LG himself opens the gate. So I guess it would be in Korea. 

1 hour ago, gwin said:

2.  LR and Prince Buyeong encounter -- Why is LR bloody in the face?  

This worries me. I like PB. He's like a father figure for LG and so far he is loyal to him. I hope someone will stop LR from harming him. That bloody face probably his scar?? Wait.. I don't really see it well, so it also maybe the blood of someone he's killed before sitting in that chair.

1 hour ago, gwin said:

SJ and JTE going to the place where Ji Hun was buried -- so they're talking again.  The line "I tried calling his name, the name that i remembered" was said by SJ right?

Yes, it's his voice. As I heard it was him. This probably the moment when they finally have a proper talk. SJ is ready enough to listen her explanation and accept the fact that might be he don't like. He's been in denial in this episode. 

1 hour ago, gwin said:

4.  I think this is the episode where JTE agrees to be his queen.

I wish this would be the case. But nope, I want to keep my expectation as low as it could be to hope it will surprise me otherwise. 

• Like 10

2020051701001309100092701.jpg

The King's Special Episode ...Sunday, 17th, 12:10 p.m.

SBS will air the special "The King-Eternal Monarch" at 12:10 p.m. on Sunday, 17th, "Are you also a Korean Empire person?"

"The King," which has been increasing its immersion as it goes back and forth between the Korean Empire and the Republic of Korea in earnest, has prepared a special gift for viewers. It is a surprise compilation of a special broadcast, "Are you also a Korean Empire person?" with a detailed description of the "Parallel World."

On Sunday's special broadcast, which will be broadcast for 70 minutes from 12:10 p.m., based on stories from the first to 10 episodes, the focus will be on the "Parallel World" point of view and reinforce additional situation explanations and subtitles to answer viewers' questions.

In addition, you will be able to see moments that shine through the special broadcast, including the heart-throbbing romance between Lee Gon and Jung Tae-eul, the dual roles of actors living completely different lives in the parallel worlds, and a collection of famous lines. There will also be time to get a glimpse of the contents of the broadcast after the clue is released in earnest.

An SBS official said, "We will produce a special show as a token of gratitude for the viewers who have sent love and affection toward the drama. We have prepared it to help us understand more about the "Parallel World" and enjoy the story that will be sweeping in earnest for the remaining six episodes," he said. "It will be a special time for viewers who missed the show to compress the essence of the previous show and get a glimpse of it."

"Are You a Korean Empire Person?" will air for 70 minutes from 12:10 p.m. on Sunday, 17th. Afterwards, the 10th episode of "The King" will be rerun.

https://sports.chosun.com/news/ntype.htm?id=202005170100130910009270&servicedate=20200516

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

I've just watched ep 9 and caught up with the thread! Omg 15 pages!! 

First of all, I'd like to say that my prayers are with @Deepakmahajan, hope you get well soon! 

Secondly, ep 9 was great! I definitely have my favorite scenes (mostly those with our LTE couple) but also when LG meets his uncle by the water. It was so nice to see that interaction and I would be BEYOND upset if he turns out to be crazy evil and/or if he died. I really want him to see our couple get married and for him to give his blessings, he's the only true family LG has left. This episode really just left me with a feeling of sadness, for our couple, for the families involved who have been ruined because of LR and for the future of these characters, who's gonna live and who isn't? Who will we have to let go of to achieve peace and order? 

d50c39fee309860e6853274244022eccba1b1906

Can't wait to watch the next episode and see that hug between LG and JTE. I'm also scared about that scene where we see our precious uncle with evil LR :angry:

• Like 9
  • Love 5

53 minutes ago, KY L said:

3. The PPLs are really killing the drama. I feel so bad for LMH, that he has to say those cringey lines. He's a good actor, but I can't get immerse in this drama when every other scene gets interrupted with PPLs, this just feels so silly. It's an outdated method of getting sponsorship and I hope he'll stop taking on projects like this. I like the story and it's a shame that they just have to do my man like this. I heard the show even got an infamous nickname from K-netz. The King: PPL Monarch. Okay, that one is funny, it's sad, but it's fair game when they turned their main hero into a walking billboard.

I see other dramas aside from TKEM have tons of it. But let's see on the brightside. They get lots of it means more profit for them. And I don't feel it that bad. He DID good for those PPL's scenes imo. I mean, that chicken even so tastier in each episodes. Lol. Dunno what others think but here actress/actor who gets lots of cfs, ads, ppl or whatever you name it, means that they're popular enough and quite iconic for those who trust their product to sell for good. I know sometimes they might overdo it but in TKEM I don't feel that too much. Well about knets scorns and critics are just too much sometimes. I also hear the same comments of too many ads in many dramas before. So it's not that surprising anymore. I prefer to just pass it or laugh at it. No one can escape from negative comments. The more popular or successful someone, the more they got critics, whether it's positive or negative. It also applies to the drama. So imo we don't need to be provoked by it. :)

• Like 6
  • Love 6

Does this sea side rocky filming location in TKEM have anything to do with the whole Manpasikjeok/Flute legend? (i.e King Munmu of Sila's Tomb (his son [King Sinmun] ends up making the flute Manpasikjeok/Flute) and possibly his wife's tomb in Daewangam Park?)

Found this small bit of info from a site: 

" According to one legend, the queen of King Munmu in the Unified Silla dynasty wanted to be buried under the rocky island so she could turn into a dragon that would protect her country, a mirror of her husband's noble will. Another legend has her becoming a guardian dragon upon her death and flying to Ulsan, where she submerged herself under the rock now called Daewangam to protect her country and people. It is said that because of the greatness and power of the dragon, even seaweed does not grow around this rock."

Hoping the doesn't ends up with JTE and LG being buried in watery graves and reborn as immortal sea dragons or whatever!! :joy:

ep. 4

vGoCr44.jpg

ep.9

a7C61yo.jpg

• Like 3
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Heretorant said:

Thank you! 

EVERYTHING. YOU. SAID.

I also appreciate and praise the cast and crew for taking on this challenge. It’s one of the first of its kind and they all knew it might not be well accepted but they liked the script and believed in the story.

I just had to point out, too, that many people criticized lmh for taking on his drama before it aired. They said he is, yet again, going for a typical cliche romantic story where he woos the girl and because of his money, eventually wins her over by episode 12. But that’s not at all true! This drama is anything but typical! And you know what? I praise him because he could have taken on a simple romantic comedy and easily made a hit. Instead, he was up for the challenge and accepted The King. 

To put our minds at ease, the cast knew what they were in for and are probably okay. I believe they were prepared for this drama to go one way or another. Watch what they had to say about The King at the end of the presscon. It’s clear to me they saw the risk and took it anyway. And I’m sure they can sense the love from Netflix, Wavve and international audience. They remain number 1 on Wavve which has over 10 million? South Korean subscribers and top 10 on Netflix all over the world, including South Korea. And their Instagram followers have been growing. Enough said? I think they can sense the love! :D 

I agree with you, why bother the rating in their local tv drama network wherein the viewers was limited. Whereas in Netflix they gain large scale of viewers or subscriber to watch the drama worldwide. The fact that it is always number 1 in 10 countries in Asia alone that's considered success and take note subscriber have to pay-out so from that perspective they already gain big amount of profit. And besides their rating is not too low, they have been rank as 2nd most viewed and talk of the town drama so pls don't let yourself bothered with it. What is important now more international fans are supporting and even their youtube chanel,  instagram gathered most views , likes and thousand of comments that's already a big thing.

So please let us show our appreciation for their hardwork especially the two main lead in working to give us quality drama like this. Thank you

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos! Thanks!
  • Like 8
  • Love 4

23 minutes ago, SweetButters said:

Hoping the doesn't ends up with JTE and LG being buried in watery graves and reborn as immortal sea dragons or whatever!! :joy:

At least it'll be eternal if that happens. :joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3