[Drama 2018] Thirty But Seventeen, 서른이지만열일곱입니다

meechuttso

What I like about this drama is there's no villain causing the all the angst and sadness but rather reality of what we call life.  Also, despite the story being so sad (like all those lives affected by the accident), every episode ending always leave me with a warm and happy feeling.  I will describe this drama as being very warm, full of love and full of heart type of a drama.

Episode 14 was the best so far for me.  Truly a crescendo. 

Special shout-out to the young WJ and young Chan crying scene.  Here you can see the special relationship between Chan and his uncle and even though young Chan didn't understand, he can feel that his uncle is deeply hurt and that moment strongly affected him as well, becoming the dominant memory of his childhood.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just finished reading 4-5 pages since I logged off for the night after dealing with so many ninja onions flying around like there's no tomorrow. You guys are definitely the best and I'm really glad I joined this forum :wub: (even though I'm still learning the ropes). 

I left this comment on a fan account on IG. I can wholeheartedly say that this drama broke all the clichés we usually see in kdramas, and that's why I really love it. It is totally different from any other I have watched and I don't think I will ever get tired of watching it time and again. 

The OST... Well, what else can I say? Each of the songs represents each (both of the) character(s) to a T. Thank you to whoever decided on these songs.

All the actors are really good and like in anime that I also like to watch, THIS is one of the best takes of the 'slice of life' genre. I mean, hey, I would love to have a boss like HS and that kind of working environment, would love to have someone like Jennifer. I do have a nephew near the age of Chan-Chan, but uh... I would love to have a nephew like him lol. Best of all, who wouldn't want a GWJ (okay, as an uncle too lol)?

I take back all the whining/whinge I did the other day :sweatingbullets:

Gah, I don't know what I'd do with myself once this drama ends. Will it be back to 'I don't like Mondays' or what? 

I really hope YSJ and SHS pair up again in another project (okay, I ship them lol). Their acting is just way too good and omg, yay for no fake tears or forced ones (can't stand them <_<). How will I ever watch their previous works now after this one??

Right, time to switch off fangirling mode and go back to being a responsible adult (what's that?)

5 hours ago, Prettysup said:

One question, does this drama have 32 or 36 or 40 episodes ?

Three different sources tell me different answers.

Next SBS drama for that time slot Where Stars Land is slotted to premiere 1Oct...so potentially it could end on Tue 18Sept (32 eps) or go another week Tue 25Sept.

http://m.programs.sbs.co.kr/drama/wherestarsland

4 hours ago, xxPeepsxx said:

Sorry, the official name for the stamp is a 'Seal', haha.

Eh... actually, seals are more "secure" than even signatures and commonly used for official and serious business. Seals are generally custom made by traditional artists (each generally cost about $100 to make) and because they're made from what is essentially non-uniform natural materials like wood, metal... etc, even if two seals of the same design and material are made, the inconsistencies in the material results in differences in the resulting imprint. You just have to look carefully. This is like forensic science: which boot made this imprint in the blood?

There was actually a case where the Supreme Court threw out a case of a will handwritten and signed but not stamped with a seal. It called the will invalid. :huh:

Thanks for the explanation. I have wondered for the longest time for both Japanese and Koreans, just how they could trust the seal when it could be forged, but I totally overlooked the fact that it can't be exactly the same when it's hand carved on natural materials. That lit the lightbulb haha

Rewatched the last two episodes and shout out to the child actors. They are all amazingly talented! Can't wait to see them grow up and lead their own shows in the future. :thumbsup:

BTW, imagine if one of our crazy theories of multiple identities had come true. I mean it's so hard to juggle multiple identities. It takes real talent to change everything, the way you speak, write, the way you form sentences and especially your personality. I mean, for example; if a person is a know it all, it's hard for them to hide it. Especially when they crave attention and constant validation. They just can't stop themselves from showing off constantly.

So it's a good thing we got a simple storyline in the show and the uncle didnot become someone else as a twist. :D

9 minutes ago, Dramanoona said:

Yes. It looks like the new drama begins on the 1st. So it's two more weeks. Unless they are going to have a special in the second week.

Didn't someone say that it's Chuseok in the last week of September and no programs will air on 24/25?

27 minutes ago, YourHighness . said:

Rewatched the last two episodes and shout out to the child actors. They are all amazingly talented! Can't wait to see them grow up and lead their own shows in the future. :thumbsup:

BTW, imagine if one of our crazy theories of multiple identities had come true. I mean it's so hard to juggle multiple identities. It takes real talent to change everything, the way you speak, write, the way you form sentences and especially your personality. I mean, for example; if a person is a know it all, it's hard for them to hide it. Especially when they crave attention and constant validation. They just can't stop themselves from showing off constantly.

So it's a good thing we got a simple storyline in the show and the uncle didnot become someone else as a twist. :D

Didn't someone say that it's Chuseok in the last week of September and no programs will air on 24/25?

Ahh.. I think that was me. Haha. It is Chuseok on the 24th and 25th so we will probably say farewell to our 3017 crew next week.

@celebrianna I have to say that I suspected the truck driver to be the anonymous donor because to me, it was clear that this drama has been focusing on the topic: guilt.

GWJ was suffering from PTSD because of his guilt. He had the impression that he was the reason that his loved one had died as she had stayed on the bus. Since he witnessed the bus crashing, he felt somehow responsible. However, he never saw the real cause of the accident: the lose tires.

We saw that Jennifer was living as a robot and manual because of guilt. She lost her baby because she neglected herself due to the loss of her husband. Moreover, if her husband hadn't bought things for the baby, then he wouldn't have been involved in the accident.

Striking is that even WSR felt guilty... after reading the letter WJ left, she kept saying "because of me". He never lived a proper life as he felt responsible for her coma and the loss of time. What he didn't know was that WSR wanted to speak to him... he should have never felt responsible for that.

Even the aunt feels now remorse... she keeps saying that it wasn't her fault. Nevertheless she realizes that she has done something wrong. She did abandon her niece. But the question is: does she feel responsible for the husband's lies and later for the bankruptcy and death?

Even TR felt guilty. She resented WSR but she was always feeling uncomfortable to lie and nervous. TR was tormented as well by the past: resenting WSR for being so joyful and receiving recognition from the professor.

As for the truck driver... I can feel his pain and torment. He never wanted to cause the accident and he is just indirectly involved in the accident. Nevertheless, he can only start living again, once the families from the injured and deceased decide to show empathy and forgiveness. By meeting WSR, the truck driver will be able to hear from her that she doesn't resent him at all.

4 hours ago, millicom said:

Episode 14 was the best so far for me.  Truly a crescendo. 

Beat me to it.

So she approached him on the bus with a purpose and she probably followed him on to it. If only Su Mi hadn't come on and scared him off. Didn't she ask him for directions to the Art Museum and wasn't that her subtle way of letting him know she was interested in him because she knew he was an artist?

To me the most powerful scenes in yesterday's episode were the last two when they were young. Those longing looks and smiles the young SR were giving him just melts my heart. I have watched the last 5 minutes over and over again and I still tear up on those last two scenes. Ahh the age of innocence.

4 hours ago, midjohn33 said:

thanks ktcjdrama. you can tell im no scholar cos i couldnt remember the author of the quote at all. i had marcus aurelius on the brain. 

Thanks also for responding to me... I'm no scholar myself since I had to google marcus aurelius, LOL... So, sorry but I don't actually get what you mean by your last sentence...?

46 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@celebrianna I have to say that I suspected the truck driver to be the anonymous donor because to me, it was clear that this drama has been focusing on the topic: guilt.

GWJ was suffering from PTSD because of his guilt. He had the impression that he was the reason that his loved one had died as she had stayed on the bus. Since he witnessed the bus crashing, he felt somehow responsible. However, he never saw the real cause of the accident: the lose tires.

We saw that Jennifer was living as a robot and manual because of guilt. She lost her baby because she neglected herself due to the loss of her husband. Moreover, if her husband hadn't bought things for the baby, then he wouldn't have been involved in the accident.

Striking is that even WSR felt guilty... after reading the letter WJ left, she kept saying "because of me". He never lived a proper life as he felt responsible for her coma and the loss of time. What he didn't know was that WSR wanted to speak to him... he should have never felt responsible for that.

Even the aunt feels now remorse... she keeps saying that it wasn't her fault. Nevertheless she realizes that she has done something wrong. She did abandon her niece. But the question is: does she feel responsible for the husband's lies and later for the bankruptcy and death?

Even TR felt guilty. She resented WSR but she was always feeling uncomfortable to lie and nervous. TR was tormented as well by the past: resenting WSR for being so joyful and receiving recognition from the professor.

As for the truck driver... I can feel his pain and torment. He never wanted to cause the accident and he is just indirectly involved in the accident. Nevertheless, he can only start living again, once the families from the injured and deceased decide to show empathy and forgiveness. By meeting WSR, the truck driver will be able to hear from her that she doesn't resent him at all.  

I agree.  That's why I can picture the aunt and uncle getting some forgiveness, too.  Right now it's hard to understand their abandonment of Seo-ri, but we don't have all the information.  The aunt has shown that she is trying to gather the courage to contact Seo-ri.

I think it's wrong to say that Jennifer lost the child because she neglected herself.  We can't always know why miscarriages happen, and a caring doctor would not have told her that and made her feel guilty.  She should feel sorrow, for sure, but not guilt.

The difficulties (and guilt) in this drama have come from misunderstandings, accidents, near misses--small turns of fate.

Guilt can come from things we have no real control over.  Knowing that, we should be able to freely forgive.

4 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Thanks also for responding to me... I'm no scholar myself since I had to google marcus aurelius, LOL... So, sorry but I don't actually get what you mean by your last sentence...?

i remembered that ri an knew who said the quote, but  i didnt. the only name that was in my brain was aurelius for some reason. just that one word, dont know why and it took me ages to remember his first name.  ri an wouldve got it  straight away i bet

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

Excellent post. I completely agree. All the other characters you mentioned we already saw their ordeal up close and personal but when I saw the truck driver last night, my heart ached for and was moved by him. His hands were dirty and it made me think that he’s been living his life not caring at all for himself. His whole demeanor suggests one who’s ashamed and guilt ridden. We know he has been living his life simply in a room and took any overtime job that will help him to continue to pay for SR’s hospital fees. I’m looking forward to seeing his meeting with SR and hearing his side of the story. 

And i I understand what you mean about Jennifer. She blames the loss of her baby on her inability to cope with the death of her husband. She wondered “if” she had taken better care of herself, then perhaps she would not have miscarried. “If” she had better control of her emotions etc. That’s why she finds “if” suppositions sad. 

40 minutes ago, 1ouise said:

I agree.  That's why I can picture the aunt and uncle getting some forgiveness, too.  Right now it's hard to understand their abandonment of Seo-ri, but we don't have all the information.  The aunt has shown that she is trying to gather the courage to contact Seo-ri.

I think it's wrong to say that Jennifer lost the child because she neglected herself.  We can't always know why miscarriages happen, and a caring doctor would not have told her that and made her feel guilty.  She should feel sorrow, for sure, but not guilt.

The difficulties (and guilt) in this drama have come from misunderstandings, accidents, near misses--small turns of fate.

Guilt can come from things we have no real control over.  Knowing that, we should be able to freely forgive.

Well, that's what Jennifer thinks, especially after hearing from the doctor that she had neglected herself. This doesn't represent my own thought.

@celebrianna yes, you understood me. Jennifer regrets too: "what if I hadn't neglected myself aso."

47 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Well, that's what Jennifer thinks, especially after hearing from the doctor that she had neglected herself. This doesn't represent my own thought.

@celebrianna yes, you understood me. Jennifer regrets too: "what if I hadn't neglected myself aso."

I understood what you meant as well.  ;)  My comment was on the doctor's comment.  Jennifer was made to feel guilty, and she sure does.  I had thought that she felt extreme sadness, but now I see that she is also feeling guilt.

A mother will inevitably feel guilt at the loss of her unborn child, but the doctor should have tried to dispel it instead of compound it--even if she had been neglectful.

TLDR = Bad Doctor!

I just finished watching episode 14 and Wow!  I am so glad that WJ did not actually leave.  The elevated walkway scene was simply amazing.  I think it is just adorable that they each were sneaking looks each other with their teenage crushes.  I knew this was the direction it was going when SR was looking at WJ during the time they were at the resort.  The whole Crescendo moment was the giveaway.  I am glad that it played out at the end of this episode.

Have there been any speculations on how the show will end?  I know we get the scene on the beach where WJ is sitting looking at the painting of SR.  He then hears the moon rabbit charm, turns, and smiles.  I was wondering if he sees SR holding possibly their infant child and the charm is either dangling from its blanket or attached to a carriage/carrier.  That is just my little fantasy of the ending for now.

I like how the show brings the whole message of "what if". Assuming and thinking of "what if that havnt happened" "what if that happened" makes one think IF the ending would be better or would be what you desired. Thinking WHAT IF things will be different and better and thinking of that in comparison just makes one sad. That's so true because that's human nature. And because you can never predict what will happen if you did that or not did that. You don't just assume it would garner a different result but as human nature you usually would and you start imagining the scenario and get sad and regret. 

I love this episode. (But I wonder why they repeated the whole kiss scene at the beginning though.) Yesterday when I was watching bits and pieces of IG clips without knowing what they are talking about, I cried buckets. Today after watching the full subbed episode, my heart sank into a river of tears and felt so so much for all of them. My Precious Five... WJ, SR, Chan, Jennifer, Deokgu, they each shed tears of the fear and burdens deep in their heart that halted their happiness or added to their emotional baggage. First class awesome acting from all 5 of them including our talented cute Deokgu/Pang. Seeing their tears falling uncontrollably, my heart ached badly. The mere scene of Deokgu sitting by the door after WJ left already left me choked with emotions. This wonderful stellar cast (and young WJ and SR too) all deserves recognition at the year end awards, SBS! Give it to Deokgu too!!

I love this drama (though I still wished it was longer). Unexpectedly. I never expect to be so drawn into it when at first I was just here for SHS in what I thought at first was just a silly cute romcom. It is warm, healing yet fun and quirky. True there was no deep story plot but the characters grown into me that I felt I knew them for real and long.

I love this journey of having fun discussions with all of you here in these 2 months. Let's all gear up together for the finale next week and make this thread bright and alive. For the last ride. 

2 hours ago, r047 said:

I've read an article in Korean that mentions the number 36, autotranslator is not good as usual but from what I understand it's the number of episodes. I hope it's true! :w00t:

I think it is possible that it is 36 episode. The other drama those not start until 1 oct. that is 3 weeks away. so we could have two weeks to go. I hope it is so, there is still story left to fill 4 hour :)  

Archived