[Drama 2018] Thirty But Seventeen, 서른이지만열일곱입니다

meechuttso

Popo ! A kissing scene awwww ! We need another one for the final episode as well, on Tuesday kkkk, an inteeeeeeense one to welcome this adult life hahaha I'm such a pervert when it comes to Drama.

Jenniper ! I really feel for the truck driver, he really devotes his life for the people he had hurts/destroyed and if everyone can have the same mindset it will be great !

Fighting everyone !

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, mademoisellesia said:

I'm happy to know that Yoo Chan still decides to confess his feelings even though he doesn't stand a chance. This way, he gets a proper closure and says his goodbye to first love and move on :)

Yes! Thank you for sharing! I’m glad as well that Chan finally confess! There is nothing wrong with his feelings, and I admire him that even though there are some signs that they can’t be together he decided to be brave and he will leave without regrets! 

And Jennifer finally having emotion! I’m glad as well that she become human again, and let it all out with the driver, I hope Amanda pray that she will finally have some peace at the end of the of this story. And of course the kiss! Swooning over here in the Middle East! I’m so sleepy and getting into my afternoon nap and then bam! Preview! My senses are all awake:lol:

Wow wow.... was somewhat expecting that actually, after the last scene of ep 14. Probably because they know they should compensate us for giving us only 16 episodes :P

@mademoisellesia Ahhh that chicken banner :crazy:

Am I hearing wrong, Chan is confessing to SR now? I thought it might be awkward for all...:unsure:

SO LOOKING FORWARD TO MON!!!

21 minutes ago, BlueNotes said:

We need another one for the final episode as well, on Tuesday kkkk, an inteeeeeeense one to welcome this adult life hahaha I'm such a pervert when it comes to Drama

Yeah why not, hahaha. I was grinning left to right last night after My ID is Gangnam Beauty, now 3017. :lol:

16 minutes ago, Lj said:

I hope Amanda pray that she will finally have some peace at the end of the of this story.

Who is Amanda?

15 minutes ago, Ni Wen said:

Ahhh that chicken banner :crazy:

Yeah that bloody chicken mania banner is making me maniac, LOLLL. It's distorting the perfect beauty of the kiss scene!

Yep, Channie is confessing his love for Seo Ri. I think it's a nice end to his one sided crush. He deserves it, and now he can move on with no regrets; start a new love relationship with Ri An! :P It is the better outcome for him and for his own good too, since he was too desperate to grow up to protect Seo Ri that he forgets he's a teenager and should live/enjoy the life of a teenager that Seo Ri never got to do.

But wouldn’t it be really awkward for them if Chan confessed? He knows SR and WJ are in a relationship and she might even become his aunt... In my eyes this is kind of selfish of him - he’s putting SR into a really awkward place.

If I really liked someone I wouldn’t want him to feel awkward and burdened, I would definitely keep it to myself to avoid future awkward family gatherings.

Looking forward to the coming episodes! Waiting for BTS and stills. 

@aisling totally agree, it's not time to stir up her emotions. However, I kind of was expecting that. I mean they would've not ended the drama without letting him pour his heart out even knowing his chances are too low, because in the end it's Chan, he fights for what he wants till the end not to have any regrets later.

Things seem to be happy and fine, now it's all about 'how' they're going to end it. Sweet scenes are much needed! 

Btw something just came up to my mind. In the passport of WJ his birthday was on 3rd of September. I wish that they had celebrated it! 

On 9/13/2018 at 7:58 PM, meechuttso said:

Right. They always check on volume pricing because limited edition. Unfortunately I can't join daum cafe from overseas without valid id. Wait a bit, stuff will become available to Asian fans.

I live somewhere in Europe and I want this dvd. :tears::tears:

Shin Hye-Sun ♥ Yang Se-Jong 'Thirty But' Writer Jo Sung-Hee Rom-Coms Are Special

20180915130741838qwmc.jpg

From https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20180915130741756

Published 2018.09.15. 13:07
[Donga.com]

Shin Hye-Sun ♥ Yang Se-Jong 'Thirty But' Writer Jo Sung-Hee Rom-Coms Are Special

Writer Jo Sung-Hee is (now) sufficiently a 'name you can trust' (and watch). SBS Mon-Tue drama 'Thirty But Seventeen I Am' (Writ by Jo Sung-Hee, Dir by Jo Soo-Won) nearing its finale, is unveiling its thematic climax.

'Thirty But Seventeen I am' (here and below '30But17') will finish with its 32nd episode this week. '30But17' which has blown healing winds to the whole country, has captured the hearts of viewers with an approach different from other drama formulas to date. Shocking episode, ridiculously forced conflicts, evil characters beyond comprehension, etc., avoiding such oft-used 'cheat code for success', it has demonstrated that a 'nice'**  drama can succeed also. Moving ahead to the finish, at the very pinnacle where everything is clashing together now, it is drawing from us a fresh sense of wonder***. Like the (musical) term 'crescendo' itself, it is the power of a steadfastly constructed script of Jo Sung-Hee.

** good-natured, well-behaved
*** 'awe-inspiring'

'30But17' is proceeding at a tempo that is different from romantic comedies of late. Compared to the 'current romcom' wherein the male/female leads feel an attraction at the start and by the middle they are already lovers overcoming numerous conflicts and then to a happy ending, (this drama) has chosen the path of somewhat slower pace. While other rom-coms spend much energy portraying the main couple's love affair beautifully, writer Jo Sung-Hee has spent much energy on the maturation* of the two leads**, their narrative spanning 13 years, and meticulous laying down of the subplot.*** Instead, while 'laying down the groundwork',**** its use of comical episodes, attractive character play, mystery elements and so forth has allowed no room for any tedium.

* maturation = development
** two leads = Seo-Ri (by Shin Hye-Sun), Woo-Jin (by Yang Se-Jong)
*** subplot = alternate track (secret back track)
**** laying down the groundwork = kitchen prep work

Having come through such foundation building, the viewers, with an expanded understanding of SeoRi-WooJin, at last during Episode 28's explosive revelation of the Most-Unexpected "SeoRi and WooJin's first crush 13 years ago was Two-Ways", could feel an overwhelming delight and not think it as odd. Thus having carefully built up many probabilities*** for the sake of a 'climax that explodes properly', writer Jo Sung-Hee's crescendo has finally paid off.

*** probable scenarios

Not only that, a story unfolding in this manner allows '30But17' to exist as a 'healing drama' from start to finish. No need to force a love triangle for the the lead couple for whom there's an inevitable decrease in tension after consummating their affair, no need to create a disrupter who upon a mere sight of causes mental disorder flashback.

In this way, writer Jo Sung-Hee through '30But17' has firmly established her unique style, standing out as a writer the viewers can trust. Exactly how writer Jo Sung-Hee will finish-stamp this yet unresolved unblemished romance '30But17' story, our curiosity, while being heightened, is also drawing attention for her next work.

'Thirty But Seventeen I Am' is about a 'mental physical mismatched woman' who falls into coma at 17 and wakes up at age 30, and 'shut out man' who has been living cut off from the world. Their '30 but 17'-like pathetic but comical romance. On the 17th (of Sept) 10pm, Ep 29-30 broadcast and 18th will finish with Episode 32.

DongAh.com Hong Se-Young reporting - projecthong@donga.com

-

translated by @meechuttso for you non-Chan Chan fans, who like to DO THINK (read), FEEL!   :PB):rolleyes:

Some excellent points about this writer. I have to agree, I should have been more patient with this writer.

2 hours ago, r047 said:

Awww the tape, the headphone, and all those stuff and details that added so much to our lovely story :cry::heart:

It's been so long since we last saw WJ with a measuring tape. That shows his immense growth...

56 minutes ago, mademoisellesia said:

i-dont-want-to-see-yahoo-emoticon.gif?13  I can't stop staring...

@mademoisellesia I'm guilty of that too :w00t::P

And I am going mad!

What a great preview.

I am all for Chan to confess. He's the type to 'Don't think, Feel!' and I think he would regret not telling his ajumma how he feels. Even if he realises the shared past and future for SR and his Mr Gong, I think he will be able to smile and wish them well (that's who he is!) and move on (perhaps with that smart, dorky bag over her head girl)

And a kiss! I expect that after that kiss (should be the beginning of Ep 15) we will all be flooding this thread with screencaps, gifs and screams of joy. Hahahaha.

On 9/15/2018 at 3:34 AM, aisling said:

Wait... is it Jung Hae In who sent a food truck? How do they in each other?

Apart from both having been in the same drama Something in the Rain aka Pretty Sister Who Buys Me Food (which I did not watch), they are both with FNC Entertainment. :)

Food Truck aside, I was thinking they are both "connected" to Lee Jong Suk as well. Eugene worked with him for W: Two Worlds while JHI worked with him for While You Were Sleeping. They look good together leh...*mind wanders*...

On 9/14/2018 at 10:56 PM, r047 said:

Those last moments are so heartbreaking :( I think I should stop watching live broadcast dramas, I get so attached to them! :tears: 

Anyhow since it's confirmed to be ending next week, the beach scene would be nice to end with, but my version would be a scene in their cozy home, since SR is fated to live in this house, both as a child and as an adult. Perhaps SR would say something like "WJ, when did you start loving me?"

WJ: when we were 17.

SR: but we're still 17.

My fantasies :D

Omg same here! Feeling all sad about it ending, contemplating if I should finish watching it live especially since I've grown soooo attached to our 3017 team :tears:

Love your ending prediction! Best lines ever. Haha.. they should use that, stick to their comedic take at the end :lol:

Chan has seen how much his uncle has suffered in silence all these years, so he knows the cost of not expressing what you need to say.  Certainly WJ's whole life (and SR's!) would have been different if he had spoken up on the bus instead of running away.

Even though he knows he hasn't got a chance now with SR, it says a lot about Chan's strength of character if he is able to confess to her.  It gets things out in the open and clears the air.  Sure, he may feel embarrassed and so may SR but once it is said, they can move forward without any lingering "what if" stuff and we know what Jennifer says about the evils of the word IF!

I've been watching SBS catch with all the highlights of the earlier episodes and I've realised that as much as we are lamenting a shortened series, it has actually been a loooong journey as we watched our leads grow. From their first fateful reunion as adults, to knowing each other, falling in love and maturing-- it has truly been a solid 12 episodes! I appreciate how this story did not rush into love between our leads early on, but rather slowly explored and perhaps even toyed with the idea of attraction, discovering their feelings, to finally admitting and recognising that what their heart felt was indeed love. It makes the depth of their feelings all the more genuine and realistic even from a viewer's point of view. I believe it is also this slightly longer than usual (compared to other rom-com dramas) process of recognising their feelings that makes us as viewers relate to WJ and SR, which plays a huge part in why we are able to cry with them and for them. Without doubt, We felt their pain because we too, fell in love with their story having witnessed their growth and seen their painful backstory.

Of course, their amazing acting skills cannot be taken away from this equation. Now I see why they call Yang Sejong a monster rookie, his tears, his voice, his facial expressions, how is it possible not to fall in love with this actor! (If only I knew how to insert all my screenshots of his brilliant heartbreaking crying scenes!)

My heart has not ached so badly seeing a character cry in a drama since Hyun Bin and Ha Jiwon in secret garden. Rather different circumstances amd storyline but did anyone else find the scene with WJ narrating his letter and SR sobbing her eyes out reminiscent of secret garden where HB wrote a letter to HJW at the end when he "sacrificed" his life for her? 

I really hope this drama receives the recognition it deserves at the year end drama, I haven't really seen enough hype about it, only 1 news conference (usually 2 for popular dramas), hardly any interviews and not many articles or k-fans raging about it despite it being probably the series with best ratings on public broadcast for a while now?

And onwards to our last 2 episodes, I get that we have to stay on track with the healing direction that our writer has chosen, but please, pretty please can we have some MORE romance between our leads just to satisfy us fans? Because if not now, then when??? :blink:

If we count the number of people who cried watching Ep 14 - I cried twice  (once without subs and once again with subs), my mom cried, my sister in law cried as well. My tears begin once the household realises that WJ has gone, tears flow like a waterfall beginning when WJ puts those headphones into his ears at the airport.

That final scene on the bridge must have been so emotionally draining because I would assume that there would be multiple takes.

I wonder if SBS will release any BTS of Ep 13 or 14 or they will keep the momentum from Ep 14 onwards. We know from the preview that there will be a kiss scene on the bridge (quite surprised that they actually revealed this in the preview)

Archived