Add and Subtract Game

Admin

@partyon @Ameera Ali @cenching ~ the cat romance drama is apparently based on a web comic but it is so weird -- did the writer have a few drinks, get inspired by some anime but then forgot what makes this kind of genre work? so the idea of a cat turning into human is not new but it is always within the fantasy/horror genre where the cat is actually a spirit and even the human form is not truly human. back when I used to watch anime,  this genre was fun to watch as the animation was really colourful and eye popping. usually, there is a wacky sense of humour that can make it very entertaining. these unusual romance genre works because it is strictly set in a parallel universe filled with spirits, magic etc and is a twist on a fairy tale.

the plot was often very fast paced and really dramatic. a typical plot would look something like this: 

Spoiler

the lead (can be guy or girl) will usually end up having a stray cat move in even though they are not looking to adopt. in fact, the lead wants to get rid of the cat but a family member might think it is cute and will keep the cat. the lead usually finds the cat exasperating and does not want the cat following everywhere. then, abruptly, during some normal scene like dinner or some scene at school, the lead will get attacked by some sort of demon. then the cat will turn and defend its owner. then the cat will speak in human language and explain the lead is being attacked because of some reason (either they hold some power or they found some talisman etc) and so the lead has to follow them in this other realm or risk the earth / their family being destroyed. very reluctantly, the lead will get transported into this other realm while the guardian cat has to now protect and train the lead to complete this task (whatever it is).

depending on the anime, sometimes, the cat is just a teacher/guardian and sometimes, there might be a romantic vibe if the cat is equal in age. however, it is often antagonistic relationship and there is a kind of ticking clock on any romance -- meaning the cat cannot return back to earth and usually, lead is desperate to go back home to their family. it usually ends on a kind of wistful note where they both return to their places but have grown and matured and life goes on. if it does end happy romantically, it is because the lead cannot return back to earth for some reason and so they stay back.

I don't understand why drama writers think these unusual romances (robots, cats, what else is next? :sweatingbullets:) would work in live action and set this in the normal world. how absurd to remove the best bits -- spirits, magic, talisman, monsters, sci-fi etc -- that make this kind of fairy tale story work. :huh:

• LOL 6

30 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

don't understand why drama writers think these unusual romances (robots, cats, what else is next? :sweatingbullets:) would work in live action and set this in the normal world

Didn’t we go through a vampire/human phase?  Twilight?  So maybe they thought they could do the same with the others.

• LOL 3

22 minutes ago, nrllee said:

Didn’t we go through a vampire/human phase?  Twilight?  So maybe they thought they could do the same with the others.

kekeke...forgot about those as well; I get the appeal of the genre when it is set within an alternate universe where there is magic, monsters etc. I just don't understand writers setting this kind of weirdness in a normal world setting. like what is the use of having a robot boyfriend unless we had a godzilla type evil monster. otherwise, what exactly is the point of having steel body without those great action sequences that last for 10 minutes or more?  ^_^

@kokodus ~ that wasn't a real pet; it was some sort of weird fetish where a human pretends to act something like a cat or pet to be cute. don't ask, I watched maybe the first episode and I was just ugh. :sweatingbullets:

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, Lawyerh said:

I think it's a bit dangerous to pledge love to only one oppa :joy::joy::joy: I never been able to kept my promise to only 1 so far. So bye bye Lee Min Ho now? :mrgreen:

I learn I can’t keep faithful to one shipping , getting worse with hospital playlist :mrgreen:

@Lawyerh your DP is torture :dissapointed_relieved:

+2

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

@Lmangla

Asian/Oriental have a long history of legend about animal turned human that has a romantic relationship with real human but of course it's strictly in fantasy/horror genre and it was never cute....:skull: I am completely baffle of what the writer and the TV station have been drinking to made them think it's a good idea to create that kind of drama. Maybe fantastic beast or house furniture will be next....:joy:

+2

• LOL 3

12 minutes ago, cenching said:

@Lmangla

Asian/Oriental have a long history of legend about animal turned human that has a romantic relationship with real human but of course it's strictly in fantasy/horror genre and it was never cute....:skull: I am completely baffle of what the writer and the TV station have been drinking to made them think it's a good idea to create that kind of drama. Maybe fantastic beast or house furniture will be next....:joy:

+2

kekeke... yea, those romances always ended really badly. I remember one review of king kong said the lesson of the movie is love is dangerous. if the huge monkey hadn't fallen in love, it would have been safe. whether it is beast or house furniture, there better be some great action sequences. ^_^

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, nrllee said:

Oh no.... This post just reminds me of this guy (AGAIN).... :joy:

39a860a7ff9667e0e1c6d91bf0e7c700548713d5

I really hope we don't have to go through another twilight / vampire phase :persevere:

Spoiler

BL dramas seem to be popular in other Asian countries right now. Suppose we will see those in Korean dramas at some point?

• LOL 4

26 minutes ago, partyon said:

Oh no.... This post just reminds me of this guy (AGAIN)....

at least this one is good looking and looks alive. don't understand why vampires in movies have so much white powder dusted on them. it is like how ghosts in old movies were always dressed in white and had long hair. maybe one reason I dislike the colour white and find it creepy instead! :sweatingbullets:

• LOL 3

11 hours ago, nrllee said:

I feel like the plot is too thin for Eternal Monarch.  Like she’s (writer) already revealed all the cards?  And the romance...well Ep1 he hugged her, Ep2 he proposed?  How is she going to drag it out for 16 episodes (it is 16 yeah?).  Parallel universe with time travel.  Alice in Wonderland metaphors and motifs galore.  <snip>

Visually it’s a feast but the story and characters?  Underwhelming. 

I would say that the writer is just rewriting the same story over and over again in every drama she writes. It's parallel universe, time travel, fairy tales, symbolism, mermaids, goblins, body swapping.

She reads too many children's books....

Spoiler

Somebody should tell her!

1hGCvR9.png

10 hours ago, Lmangla said:

with this writer's dramas, I cannot sense that urgency or desperation that drives the characters. instead, they are all just plonked there, do nothing -- at least that is the impression I get from reading recaps and watching a bit of this writer's dramas. or to put it in lit terms -- there is no conflict or if there is, it isn't something that interests me.

Agree, at least in Secret Garden there was some sense of desperation/urgency, but it's pretty meh for me in her other works. Even with City Hall I was yawning through 3/4 of the drama...

9 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Lee Gon’s equivalent was killed in winter 1994, the very first time Lee Rim went to Korea (there was a time stamp on the screen). Then we fast forward to 25 years later to 2019. But Lee Rim doesn’t age. 

So everyone else has their equivalent except for Lee Gon and Lee Rim.

See that's what I want to believe as well, but did I miss the part where Lee Gon was killed in 1994? I saw the part where the uncle killed his alter self and then threatened Lee Gon, but they never showed the boy being killed.

As a self-proclaimed (!) Korean psychological thriller expert - lol - I never believe it until they show the body. I ALWAYS believe there will be a twist. :joy:

Edited by partyon
added meme
  • LOL 5

@partyon ~ kekeke... actually children's stories can be very complex. last time I was watching these half hour cartoon episode with my niece and I was impressed with how much growth a character goes through in one episode. for some reason, that doesn't translate to some adult drama writers who use mermaids, goblins and what not. if I had to sum it up, this writer leans towards dramas that are like a glamorous slice of life which suits some tastes :sweatingbullets:...I watched most of secret garden through MVs which basically summed up the drama. LOL. 

for me, I like makjang, family and revenge dramas. give me glares, slaps, verbal battles, insults and manipulations and I will overlook all sorts of absurd plot holes! :lol:

• LOL 3

11 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

for me, I like makjang, family and revenge dramas. give me glares, slaps, verbal battles, insults and manipulations and I will overlook all sorts of absurd plot holes! :lol:

You mean something like this? :lol:

• LOL 3

8 minutes ago, partyon said:

You mean something like this?

:joy::joy:LOL... that scene was hilarious and had me really giggling; yea, that is exactly my type of drama. :lol: you can't take them seriously and it is so much fun when you watch as a group because everyone just starts cackling with laughter. they are like unintended comedies.

• LOL 2

7 hours ago, Sejabin said:

Chingu.. seems you like difficult life :kiss: but I like serious drama too with good quality like the world of a married couple :relieved: or a comedy action like fiery priest 

kekekke... I just like high voltage stories that you don't have to take seriously. I like fluff but I want it to have a bit of substance and bite. otherwise, it just feels endless. especially now, I am not able to watch any serious drama. I usually watch a lot of news and documentaries but have reduced the news intake because it is really draining. there are so many social economic issues from this lockdown... so I want to be entertained and end drama with a happy ending.

• Love 2