[Drama 2021] The Devil Judge ⚖️ 악마판사

Maetawinz

4 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I still think Ga On is Isaac's son. I mean, why else would You Han care so much about it. So much to suddenly lose his cool while interrogating the interior designer and his assistant/driver/body guard/I don't know who asked him if he did because of Ga On. This dude here knows things, and Yo Han cares about him too. Since when Yo Han asked the story of the innocent young politician being falsely accused and punished by the Minister of Justice during her Prosecutor days be revealed if she wants to save her son, that dude thanked him. Yo Han had mentioned that man had a young son when he was punished, and so this dude thanking Yo Han while crying proves he is that guy. Things seem to be interrelated here. 

PS: My favorite dialogue of the week: All Human Beings are equal. In front of greed.

I do agree that his Isaac lost son, but he died went Elias was maybe 5 years o 4 years now she is 15 year teenage.  If Issac didn't know that  he have a son  Ga on maybe he will be 15 Years  because i but Ga on He finishes college that age most people finish on .22 years or 25 depending on the degree.  Issac is really religious like his father that why maybe he didn't- know may be his father pay Ga on  mom money in order to be away from his song.   I think is revenge not justice kang yo but i think the supreme judge  I still have my doubt  but i don't have anything from them. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 2

Watch: Ji Sung And GOT7’s Jinyoung Sweetly Take Care Of The Child Actress On Set Of “The Devil Judge”

b414205f977b4eb5b9b5d2b712fda911.jpeg?s=

Jul 13, 2021
by S. Nam

tvN’s “The Devil Judge” released a new making-of video!

“The Devil Judge” is a drama set in an alternate-universe, dystopian version of Korea where the entire nation participates in a trial through a live broadcast courtroom show.

The making-of video begins with the scene of Ji Sung talking with the cat after a fight with Kang Elijah (Jeon Chae Eun). He asks the cat, “Are you not going to follow her?” However, the cat appears to glare angrily at him. Trying to pet the cat, Ji Sung asks, “Are you upset?” and the cat makes purring noises that sound similar to the word “Yes.” However, when the camera stops rolling, the cat gets friendly and tries to climb up on Ji Sung out of curiosity while he’s getting his makeup done.

During rehearsal, Ji Sung slaps GOT7’s Jinyoung on the back of his shoulders, and a production team member asks, “What hurts more? Your wound or [the shoulder]?” Ji Sung shares, “I’ll slap you like that. It hurt, right? I think your reaction now is really good.” He continues, “You understand hyung’s feelings, right? We promised this. I said let’s just go hard once, but I think we’re going to have to do this a few times.” Nevertheless, Ji Sung and Jinyoung continue to make each take look as realistic as possible.

Park Gyu Young and Jinyoung also get silly during rehearsals, thinking of a funny way to turn around at the same time and act surprised. The director comments, “That’s too weird,” but the two actors continue to remain energetic and cheerful. In a different scene with Kim Min Jung, the actress can’t find the timing to say her lines, causing her to ask, “When am I supposed to go?” In between filming, Kim Min Jung hands out chocolate to the other actors.

Jinyoung carries and spins around child actress Kim Soo Ha. He asks her to call him ahjussi because he doesn’t think oppa is as fitting. Kim Soo Ha starts crying after being surprised by the unexpected fires, so Jinyoung tries to comfort her by offering chocolate and helping to wipe her tears. Jang Young Nam carefully explains to Kim Soo Ha how she has to push her in the next scene, apologizing while telling her that it’s all acting. Jinyoung shares, “Don’t worry, Dad is here.”

Despite the fierce flames and difficult action scenes, Ji Sung and Jinyoung put their all into immersing themselves in their roles. When they finish filming, Kim Soo Ha lets out a cute whine because she doesn’t want to be released from Ji Sung’s embrace.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1478891wpp/watch-ji-sung-and-got7s-jinyoung-sweetly-take-care-of-the-child-actress-on-set-of-the-devil-judge

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

6 hours ago, Mic gon said:

I do agree that his Isaac lost son, but he died went Elias was maybe 5 years

If enough people wanted it to be truth, writers probably will go that route, but at the moment it don't match up (according to the overall present symbolism). Kim Ga-On is too young, and the idea is a bit forced, to connect them that way. But we'll see.

To me, the resembles to Isaac is the Doppelgänger thing. Its purpose is to be the reminder for people around, those who sinned against Isaac, who where there that day, and who are going to pay. 

In my head Kim Ga-On is Kang Yo-Han's final judge, who will free him from his guilt, clear his conscience, because of the events 10 years ago. He'll also help Elijah heal, be a friend, a connection between her and her uncle. 

To add the meaning to it, I think his parents' case is connected to either Jung Sun-A or Kang Ga-On as a prosecutor? That part is still vague.

Out of nowhere. What do you think about Judge Oh? She seems to be a nice person, if a bit... much of fangirl. I think she's not naive, contrary to Judge Kim, and has a grunge against the company, contrary to Judge Kim who has something against Kang Yo-Han. The opposition is quite meaningful. Just hope she's not a spy or something. She's Kang Yo-Han literal "right hand" in court (the arrangement of places is nice and telling) and I think, she'll be a person on his side later (one of a few). 

Edited by Di_Ya
  • Like 5
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 2

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 4
  • Blob 2

Why are people hating on Ga-on so much?!!

It's so obvious that his character is written to be the STARK CONTRAST to that of Yo Han!!!

He's supposed to be the personification of naivety and hope.

AND it's only the 4th episode. Y'all need to chill...

calm down al pacino GIF

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
  • Blob 2

43 minutes ago, blademan said:

Why are people hating on Ga-on so much?!!

Because he's Kang Yo-Han's opposite, he's hated by the public, just the public of a different show ;)

But jokes aside, it's a good question. I needed to pause and honestly think what's in Kim Ga-On that's rubs me the wrong way. And came to conclusion that Kim Ga-On didn't earn the right to judge anyone, yet he feels it's given to him by the mere fact that people have an utter motive in what are they doing. Like... who doesn't have a few dark secrets?

Yet, he wants to exploit it just because he feels like he has any rights to, even if the people he's on didn't do anything wrong. It's... not a good trait.

You can be naive and gullible, still you need to have done something worth to be justified to judge others, especially if you're a judge yourself.

I mean in the show, not in RL (in RL the matter is more complicated and subjective).

Yet Kim Ga-On hadn't done any remarkable thing for anyone up until now. Simply didn't earn it. Kang Yo-Han is everywhere, Oh Jin-Joo has buried her nose in the files, Jung Sun-A threats people, Yoon So-Hyun is investigating, and what's Kim Ga-On done up until now in comparison? 

Even rescuing the guy from the burning bus didn't result in more active role in the first trial. He's just too passive.

It, of course, can change, but until it's done, well, Kim Ga-On is just... not there yet.

Naive can be cute, if well executed, hopefulness can be a strong trait, still needs a solid ground to explore. 

Edited by Di_Ya
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 2

2 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Chingus, the poll for ep 3 and 4 is up.  Please don't forget to vote 

Thanks for calling me...i voted...i can't wait to see if i'm right...Yo Han is such a complex character...the actor is doing a great job

3 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

I am so glad it is doing well with the ratings

me too... they deserve...

• Love 2
  • Blob 3

On 7/12/2021 at 5:53 PM, noor1 said:

@lebeaucouple@agenthIt will give rise to one autocratic mad man after another, fudging the mobile apps!  

The actress playing Sun-Ah has been overly-sexualized in the role, with the lollypops, and miniskirts, but@lebeaucoupleyou are right, she's more of a poison ivy, than catwoman, mentally manipulating people. 

she acts more like a judge than Ga-On......shipping her with Yo Han.   

Yes, i do agree with you that this will have adverse effect if Yohan continue to be the manipulated one, it will lead to autocratic mad man.

He is extremely an intelligent guy, he "openly invited" this young man Ga-On to his house and to the dinner party, everything is under his plan from the start....he is surely aware that Ga-on is secretly investigating on him. No doubt. Ga-on thought he is in the dark to do a check on him, but i guess it's the reverse side. He deliberately lets him near to him, let him search on him....may be only one reason : his late brother.

Wait, we are only at EP4, the writer deliberately leads us to see all the scenes that shown him as a "bad" person so far, including the lies that he might have made up the story too (look at his smile on the last scene of EP4). I think it is too early to reveal his backstory at the moment. We may have more surprises coming up next week.

Talking about Sun-ah's miniskirt wearing on that evening, perhaps she did not have a slim long legs, so it is better to have another outfit instead of wearing miniskirt. :D:lol: But her evil acting was good, sexy woman as good as poison ivy :D. So far, we have not gotten much of her backstory yet, why on earth she has the power to control that old man and slap him??  Waiting for more to reveal.

But I am with you, I prefer Oh Jin Joo pair with Yohan, even though there is only 1 to 2% chance. There is unlikely have any romance between these two. She is only the admirer but to Yohan, she is just his loyal team player and subordinate. 

The story pace slow down abit....I expect in faster pace. Well, let's see.

@Sleepy Owl - me too. Moi aussi ...

Favourite quote for EP4 All Human Beings are Equal, in front of greed.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Hello, been lurking here for a bit and after the recent episode, just had to come and hang with some fans!

I've been seeing some comments about Ga On and seeing as I had the opposite perspective, I wanted to talk about him. Because, frankly, it's only been 4 episodes and I adore him. 

Yo Han, in a strange way, is a visible embodiment of state power. He might be pitted against other forces in the background but as far as people are concerned, he is the court. The last arbiter of justice, if anything of that kind exists and indeed, Yo Han seems to believe it doesn't. Considering that the series apparently is being written by a former judge, it's actually really interesting to see how people (within and without the show) are responding to Yo Han's actions. By all means, he is "punishing" the bad people but let's see how that goes. 

Enter Ga On. He's got all the hallmarks of the audience's protagonist - strong-willed, idealistic, new to this world etc etc. But more importantly, he knows abuse of power and authority under the guise of benevolence. That's what makes him so crucial. Of course he will be suspicious of Yo Han. With the little we know of his parents' suicide, there's little doubt that he thinks of the media court as a giant con. And, I don't know about anybody else, but while his actions might be a little foolhardy (please never again put a listening device in the world's most obvious place again), but he's coming from a radically valid position. Vigilantes are a dime a dozen, so while I love Yo Han's refreshing 'lack-of-morals' moral outlook, Ga On has to the stabilising factor here. I think the very act of confronting someone is not too dissimilar from the act of demanding justice - and Ga On pretty much does that. He confronts Yo Han. 

I hope they play out this aspect of him more, especially the underlying strain of morality which runs through him. Can't wait for next episode! 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 4

3 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

But I am with you, I prefer Oh Jin Joo pair with Yohan, even though there is only 1 to 2% chance. There is unlikely have any romance between these two. She is only the admirer but to Yohan, she is just his loyal team player and subordinate. 

I must admit it could be an interesting idea to explore, having some who would adore him, understand some aspects of what he's doing and not making it seem like something despicable. Oh Jin-Joo looks like a person whose gone through some injustice in her life that'd hardened her and gave her an unique, critical perspective. She kind of a middle ground between Kang Yo-Han and Kim Ga-On in the sense of justice, too. Also that moment when Elijah implied they are together, like it's somewhat possible. Even if not a serious romance, it could be fun to see him beginning to develop a feeling of romantic nature (in a pure way, not as  something... twisted). 

1 hour ago, Runa Chatterjee said:

Because, frankly, it's only been 4 episodes and I adore him. 

If we'll assume it'll be standard 16 episodes show, then we're in 1/4 of it. It's not a small amount of time, tbh. A lot of things can happen, a lot of feelings can appear and grow. 

1 hour ago, Runa Chatterjee said:

and Ga On pretty much does that. He confronts Yo Han. 

Yes, he does. His designed to be Kang Yo-Han's ultimate judge, I think. That's why  he's allowed to meet the family and is put in the team at all. 

He's just... really not skilled enough, not at their level yet. 

He definitely needs to rethink the way he's attending the investigation, learn which battle to pick up and, most of all, understand that he's in advantage, realize his situation. Only then he'll gain a weapon to fight his way into the game, wether he wants to play, or not. 

EDIT:

In addition, Kang Yo-Han can be actually teaching Kim Ga-On the rules of the justice system as it's stands as of now. Not the idealistic version or the way it could be thought in school.

Kang Yo-Han had been living with his older brother, hearing him speak and share the experience about the world, who according to his tale and the way Elijah, nanny and his father (sorry, about the lack of names) was also a bit of on the pure side. Kang Yo-Han repeatedly says that he looks like him, which can also mean the believes or the way of seeing the world. That gives him a reason to think that Kim Ga-On can end up as us brother, if nothing change. And he wants thing to change. 

And that comment about chaperon (that was nice!) could suggest it. That he also want to work with someone whose not a burden and prepare him to fight later the bigger, better prepared fishes, more cruel and sly, if nothing else.

Edited by Di_Ya
  • Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Blob 3

WOW, Sun Ah, the Machialvelli of the drama. She reminds me of Judge Cha in LL who also was the "Godmother" for the lawless, but she was a transparent character. Unlike Sun Ah, who arouses suspicion by the way she carries herself, but manages to skilfully stay in the shadows as the devil tempter/manipulator which makes her dangerous. She is unscrupulously scheming and mercenary in her greed. She is the perfect antagonist for Yo Han. 

Ga On on the other hand is the character in the middle of both. Ga On is has no exposure to the world of both Sun Ah and Yo Han. He grew up in a different environment, different experience as well as education. His mentor is a Supreme Court Justice Min who believes in a legal process hence laws are made. Gaon is following what he believes in. There is a reason why he was chosen by Yo Han who is as brilliant as Sun Ah in processing events to happen the way he wants. He knows Ga On's inquisitive mind and respect for the law will lead Ga On to investigate and look for clues. If Yo Han were in Gaon's shoes, he would do the same. Yo Han knew that all along and he could kick Gaon out anytime but for his own reasons, he kept Gaon by his side because he believes that Gaon has the instinct to do what is right and just. Yo Han is making Gaon find out the truth for himselft.  Experience, at times, is the best teacher and best impetus for growth. The way I see it, Gaon is the character  whom both Yo Han and Sun Ah will fight over to be on their side. I think that he will be an important factor in who has the right to bang the judges' gavel in the end. At the moment Gaon is in the mid-position sitting between the tempter, Sun Ah and the defender/vindicator- Yo Han. His mentor is supreme court justice Min and his girlfriend is a detective. Yo Han knows that. Both Justice Min and Yo Han's girlfriend will be a strong influence in determining whose side Gaon will be on. 

• Like 4
  • Blob 3

Just finished Episode 4 and wow I am enjoying this drama alot.

Lots of excellent posts/discussions/disagreements, and thats to be expected when you can't always trust whats seen or said. Love your commentary guys keep it coming.

For me just a few observations ...

- Yo-Han must already know who Ga-On is, even though we the audience still do not.  As I was watching episode 4, I kept coming back to, Why is Ga-On still in the house ... he's healed - Ga-On's motivation in investigating Yo-Han is clear, but Yo-Han in allowing it is not. The only thing that would seem to make sense is if Yo-Han knows who he is and needs him in some way, otherwise allowing someone who is clearly digging into your background to be that close to you is not a good idea.

- Sun-Ah is in control. I liked that twist. I had thought she was a sly power climber, but it turns out she is already in control. My initial impression of her working at odds with Cha Kyung-Hee were wrong as the preview has them plotting against Yo-Han. Loving her character so far.

- Cha Kyung-Hee is going to be out for blood after her sons flogging. I did enjoy the way she tried to turn the tables at the last moment, and even though her plan didn't work, it does show she is an intelligent villain who will not be an easy corner.

- Ga-On & Soo-Hyun - where was my couples cuteness this episode?  ... I know they were investigating but come on, give a little bit of couples banter to tide us over.  BTW, I am soooooooooo looking forward to a future scene, where Sun-Ah attempts to get close to Ga-On when Soo-Hyun is nearby ... its gonna be GLORIOUS :lol: 

- Elijah and her stealth wheelchair ... the way that girl just appears in that thing ... mad skillz ( nice to see her warming up to Ga-On )

Long wait til Episode 5 ...

• Like 5
  • Blob 3

30 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Cha Kyung-Hee is going to be out for blood after her sons flogging. I did enjoy the way she tried to turn the tables at the last moment, and even though her plan didn't work, it does show she is an intelligent villain who will not be an easy corner.

I agree. However, her son now knows that compared to her mother's social status and ambition, he is not worth protecting, that he is disposable. The son may hate Yo Han but how does he feel about his mother now? He could turn out to be his mother's judge. 

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

5 minutes ago, lila21 said:

I agree. However, her son now knows that compared to her mother's social status and ambition, he is not worth protecting, that he is disposable. The son may hate Yo Han but how does he feel about his mother now? He could turn out to be his mother's judge. 

A very good point - I just hope they don't make him out to be some sort of reformed good guy that eventually turns her in.  If he stays more or less a spoiled brat who simply takes revenge by turning on her later, thats fine.

• Like 3
  • Blob 3

1 hour ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

- Elijah (...) ( nice to see her warming up to Ga-On )

That's somewhat an interesting matter. How Kim Ga-On will react to the thing that'd happened to Elijah, what Minister Cha did during the fire (I think that's part is true, the woman looks like a bit of... you know). It's a perfect opportunity to turn Kim Ga-On against the Minister Cha, because it something that they both agree probably - she needs to be punished. He warms up to Elijah, and his instinct may scream "delayed justice". It's a nicely played by Kang Yo-Han, and can explain another reason, why Kim Ga-On is at the mansion, free to do what he wants. A good backup plan if Minister Cha won't be loving mother and sacrifices herself. Now, she's in a bad position, literally everyone is her enemy, even family.

Edited by Di_Ya
  • Blob 4

20 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

A very good point - I just hope they don't make him out to be some sort of reformed good guy that eventually turns her in.  If he stays more or less a spoiled brat who simply takes revenge by turning on her later, thats fine.

naaaahhhh, an entitled spoiled useless guy reforming? It will be the latter

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

Voted in the poll, but will drop this drama like a hot potato.

Get Ready Drinking GIF by Flying Dog Brewery

I find that there are too many plot holes, many parts are way too predictable and it's also boring me. I found ep 3 the most interesting, but with ep 4 I just kept falling asleep.

Sadly, even Ji Sung's abs couldn't save it for me.

I will drop by later to check how the plot is progressing. Hope the rest of you enjoy the drama! :dorakiss:

• Like 2
  • Love 5

This drama shows the ugly sides of humanity. It shows that if people pushed, will do terrible things, no matter if they are rich or poor.

The opulence, glitz and glamour of high society simply camouflages what poverty can't hide: what misery can do to people - after all, death doesn't care about riches. If people (the powerful ones) could have thought straight and didn't just care about themselves, they could have saved the others too. After all, it took some time for the ceiling to crash. But everyone was only interested in their own survival, no matter what it takes, even kicking people so they can escape. 

Power to the public isn't inherently bad, only if it's utilised without basic human rights, which encompasses what differentiates human from everything else. The second case beautifully shows that. No matter how rich and powerful you are, you can't silence everybody in the end. That's how Minister's son got sentenced by the public, as he couldn't possibly pay off and intimate everyone he ever crossed. However, the punishment was unnecessary as it serves nothing but to humiliate the guy and is just to offer blood to bloodthirsty people. The public and the son would be better served if Yohan had ordered him to do volunteering and servicing the public, the poor, the society he had abused. But Yohan knows what the public wants really: to feel powerful, to feel like they matter. 

I'm not surprised that Yohan is on his way to achieve god-like status, when his face showed up on people's tshirts, it's because they became his fan as they feel powerful THROUGH Yohan. Yohan appeals to the broad public, giving them a taste of power. With a finger to the right button, they can become powerful, and decide upon another's fate - a dangerous line to walk upon. This is why a jury is advised by judges - they may vote on guilt, but only after knowing the parameters. 

Yohan essentially becomes judge, jury and executioner. Jury, as he is good at influencing people. I believe the stories of his monstrosity appeared as he was regarded as shameful as a child. He was not the popular, exuberant kid, and he was "eery". Kids identified this strangeness and attacked him. Decades later, Yohan knows how to appear charming, oozes charm and poise and knows how to get what he wants: how to appear to make people believe in him. 

Gaon believes that Yohan would kill his own brother, through second hand story, a day passes and then he believes Yohan is the victim here. Gaon's compassion is useless to anyone, if he doesn't start to think with his own brain, instead of jumping to conclusions from whatever story he is being told by various people, as he just tends to believe whoever he last spoke to. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1