[Drama 2021] The Devil Judge ⚖️ 악마판사

Maetawinz

(Do I need to introduce myself if it's my first post? Idk where to go... Help?)

So..

Gosh, this drama has the best cinematic. It's so good, camera work, music, contrasts, everything form the technical site is pleasant to the eye. It's worth watching it just for the aesthetic experience. 

Actor are also good, there is so many recognizable faces, just this tells how big this project is. And they are good. 

But that plot... It's nice, tense (the relationship between Kang Yo-han and Elijah are my favorite one and the one I'm curious about), but I'm three episodes in and can see the forceful way the Kang Yo-Han in made into a psychopath/sociopath (where in reality, I bet his brother is the type to trick everyone), the way Jung Sun-A is a person forced to submistion, yet waiting for the chance to bite (maybe for revenge?), also Kim Ga-On is a rude youngster who thinks knows the best. It's a bit dissapointing, because the crew, the technical side is so good... 

Well, we'll see where this goes. 

(Sorry for barging in, but I wanted to share the experience...)

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

There’s so much to unpack in episode 4 with Yohan’s backstory. But OMG that plot twist was so not expected, I really didn’t see it coming that Sun ah was the actual  head of the foundation. I was beginning to doubt that Sunah was Saein in Yohan’s class since it seemed Saein had rich parents from America but now that she’s been proven to also be rich, I guess she could be the one. It felt so satisfying to see her slap that slimeball of a human being chairman for assaulting the waitress. How disgusting can you get, assaulting every woman who gets close to you, blergh! She really is a match for YoHan and I wonder how long it will take for him to figure the truth out. 

As for Gaon, I still don’t get what his problem with YoHan is. He’s not satisfied whether YoHan does good or not. He is so naive and easy to manipulate. All he needs to believe someone is for someone to say something bad about Yohan and he jumps on that train. The same goes for Soo Hyun. 

now on to YoHan. That backstory is so heartbreaking and now we finally know he’s going after all those involved with the foundation. It’s quite sad that the only family he has, Elijah, doesn’t trust him because of what happened after that. How evil is that minister though, crushing a child’s legs just to escape (she’s a mother too which is why I find what she did so despicable but then again this episode proved her maternal instincts are RickRoll'D). I’m hoping Yohan works alone though, Gaon is too malleable and doesn’t know how to control his emotions to work against the people in the foundation. It’s also infuriating that YoHan is considered the sole survivor of the church fire when all the other foundation members also survived but it seems they covered the fact that they were also in the church. 
While I think we’re missing some of the backstory as to how the fire started, I really don’t think YoHan had anything to do with his brother’s death. What he said at the end was to maybe throw viewers off or maybe he had something to do with starting the fire. He has a long way to go though in taking down the foundation because from what the Minister’s secretary said they have the most support with the public along with YoHan’s live court.

I can’t seem to stop shipping  Yohan with Judge Oh.

On another note, how often do you meet two people who look exactly alike in real life but aren’t related. It happened in Penthouse too.

Has the OST from the ending of episode 2 and 4 been released yet?

Finally, JISUNG IS MIGHTY FINE!! He’s aged like fine wine.  

• Like 10
  • Love 3

4 minutes ago, backstreetboysfan said:

So.

Hide contents

Possible thing is Yo Han is revenging all culprits/ people who are possibly responsible for his brother's death.

Since Elijah is Yo Han's bro's daughter, then maybe Ga Eun is just similar to Yo Han's brother. A Doppelganger?.

I was also thinking doppelgänger but then doppelgängers don’t exist in the same lifetime. Isaac was alive when Gaon was also alive. So just an uncanny resemblance to throw YoHan off and make Gaon his weakness 

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

I bet Issac fathered Ga On the way his father fathered Yo Han, through an one night stand.Maybe Ga On's mom didn't show up and abandon her baby like Yo Han's mom did.It's definitely not a coincidence that they look similar and are palyed by the same actor. This is a high cost production and they certainly won't mind spending money to cast another actor to play Issac and I don't think it's a trick to confuse the audience. There's certainly a twist in the making and it connects Yohan's family to Issac. I think Yohan's clearly set up to be a likable anti-hero than a supervillain anti hero. Technically what he's doing is not wrong and it certainly brings up questions, he's not wrong though : Public opinion is democracy.

He's like a lawless lawyer, he sees both sides and he thinks he has to play a middle game to establish complete justice.He was brought up rich but he was mistreated ,so he understands the world well. He isn't superficial like the rich nor is he easily guillibe like the poor, he is manipulative , cunning and ruthless but the question is, is he putting it into use for a "just cause" or is he doing it to become invincible?

My instinct tells me the answer lies in the middle ground for that too.He's an anti-hero after all.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Thirsty 1

7 hours ago, Dddddddnnnnnnrrrrrrrr said:

now on to YoHan. That backstory is so heartbreaking and now we finally know he’s going after all those involved with the foundation.

is this real story or just make up story for YoHan to GaOn? Am just confused with the last smile of YoHan and with the closing when YoHan said, people love stories like this

7 hours ago, Dddddddnnnnnnrrrrrrrr said:

It happened in Penthouse too.

You can not compare it to Penthouse @Dddddddnnnnnnrrrrrrrr because Penthouse is fantasy drama.. All the dead back to alive, magically. :grimace:

2 hours ago, Madu Mita said:

here's certainly a twist in the making and it connects Yohan's family to Issac.

am with you @Madu Mita

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

Ep.3 & 4: Like I said, he's after the whole gang of elites (vested interest group), it's revenge, but will he end up as president or in jail or dead in the end is up in the air.

I'm on Team Ji Sung / Yo Han, whether he's a sociopathic humanist or a common avenger. It doesn't matter. The actor is too good, the role is too meaty, and he's the star holding it all together.

OST/BGM is great and spot-on. 

Who set the church on fire? How did Yo Han become a diva judge in 10 short years riding the wave with the same people who didn't get the money for the foundation and had survived the fire? Can anyone blame those people for running for their lives? Look at the extent of the fire, man! And was Sun-Ah always the owner of SRF, since she was a teenager? Or has she just mentally controlled the creepy old rich man?! How come nobody knows this?!   

@lebeaucouple@agenthYo Han is satisfying public's need to see remorse and humility from the bad guys, and a bit of their power stripped away, but the flashy TV trial is a destructive force and nothing good can come off it in the end, just a bit of score settling and then a free-for-all mayhem of might is right. So it cannot be sustained in the long run. It will give rise to one autocratic mad man after another, fudging the mobile apps!  

I cannot stannnnnddddddddd Ga-On, the entitled, rude, ignorant buffoon, who prances around everyone as if they owe him an explanation, expression of contempt etched on his face, mouthing off one insult or accusation after another. The role is badly written. Can anyone imagine this guy as a judge? Can anyone imagine such a guy talking rudely to a senior judge or the president of a country? He looks and acts like a school boy. I actually want to punch him.   

The bromance looks to me like a gay romance, btw, with all the bed hopping and shirt unravelling. Too bad that is not an option!

The actress playing Sun-Ah has been overly-sexualized in the role, with the lollypops, and miniskirts, but@lebeaucoupleyou are right, she's more of a poison ivy, than catwoman, mentally manipulating people. The only thing is she's not all bad - the foundation is doing something good, she has a strong anti-harassment code, she actually pities Yo Han, she just doesn't like anyone getting in her way. Unless, the Dream House project for slum dwellers and homeless people is built on a defective land that will wipe out the poor population (and she set the church fire)- I don't see how she's a bad guy. 

@Sleepy OwlYo Han's brother was not wearing his chain in the right hand in the church fire, which he was show wearing before, in fact Yo Han was wearing it on his right hand during church fire (had his brother donated his chain too?)......And yeah, Jin Joo may not have set any bomb, but she acts more like a judge than Ga-On......shipping her with Yo Han.   

@partyon your theory was right, Yo Han turned out to be illegitimate. 

@larus what are the ratings for the show? Good, bad, or so-so? This should be hot!  

@Ameera Aligood to see you again! Looking forward to your funny gifs! 

• Like 7
  • Love 6

6 minutes ago, noor1 said:

@larus what are the ratings for the show? Good, bad, or so-so? This should be hot!  

The ratings are good.

“The Devil Judge” And “Love (Ft. Marriage And Divorce) 2” Both Achieve Their Highest Ratings Yet

8f1551bcb1e742469f655576adaa8447.jpeg?s=

Jul 12, 2021
by E. Cha

Both tvN’s “The Devil Judge” and TV Chosun’s “Love (ft. Marriage and Divorce) 2” remain on the rise!

On July 11, the fourth episode of Ji Sung, Kim Min Jung, and GOT7‘s Jinyoung‘s new drama “The Devil Judge” achieved the show’s highest viewership ratings to date. According to Nielsen Korea, the latest broadcast scored an average nationwide rating of 6.3 percent, marking a significant jump from its previous episode the night before.

“The Devil Judge” also reached its highest ratings yet among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, taking first place in its time slot across all cable channels with a nationwide average of 3.2 percent and a peak of 3.9 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1478744wpp/the-devil-judge-and-love-ft-marriage-and-divorce-2-both-achieve-their-highest-ratings-yet

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Blob 1

3 hours ago, noor1 said:

@partyon your theory was right, Yo Han turned out to be illegitimate.

My theories aren’t always right but having watched so many Korean psychological thrillers, it gives me enjoyment trying to be one step ahead of the writer… :D  

In the case of Yo Han I assumed that he was either adopted or illegitimate.

Reason: 

1) He was an abused child. A full fledged chaebol heir would probably not have been treated that way.
2) He had a lot of hate in him for the rich already as a child. Stemming most probably from the fact that he was constantly reminded that he didn’t fully belong to the higher class because of his background…

My dongsaeng @Sleepy Owl and I chat about likely scenarios and theories.

Haven’t watched ep 3 and 4 yet but will definitely post some thoughts/theories once I have watched them :kiss_wink:

Thanks for the shoutout @noor1 :dorakiss:

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1

episode 4 is just WOW. i am so sad and appalled by the church fire incident and how Yohan' niece Elijah legs were crushed. Now i understand why Yohan went after that firefighter man who stole his brother's watch and did not do his duty to help yohan and his niece during that fire rescue. 

can't wait for ep 5 next week ! this show is damn good

• Like 7
  • Blob 2

I've finished the fourth episode, and I've got QUESTIONS. 

So, where was Jung Sun-A during the ceremony? She was sitting on the bunch next to the ambulance, kicking reported and trempling (scare of what she has done, not yet lost in cruel world of money and power?), when Kang Yo-Han left the church with unconscious Elijah, but I didn't saw her anywhere before the fire (anyone saw her? Was it even her? Maybe it was just the future-Minister lady? It would makes more sense, because of what she's done to Elijah). 

Also, why Kang Yo-Han directed his steps towards her in the first place (if it was her, and I'm certain, it was Jung Sun-A)? He wasn't there either. That's too much of an accident. Why looking for her out of all the people, when he just lost his brother?

Also, that moment when he calmly walked when then steps from him the church was burning, and it wasn't small flames, in was full blow blaze. Yet, he just walked, no panic, no fear, no... smell, nothing. Then turned, and... Uh, yeah, this part is shady. 

If it's the tradition that children of their families are going to the same school, it's possible that Kang Yo-Han and Jung Sun-A know each other. If we add the fact that she's behind the shadows, and not a known heir or the head of the company, then she could also be a black sheep (yet, she could also be the real psychopath - she suits the medical terms much more than Kang Yo-Han, because he emphatized with the victim in the first episode, also he looks like he don't care to socilize, more than his unable to, like a sociopath, which also fits the part where writers are trying to misdirect us). 

If we add this, then maybe Kang Yo-Han meet her during the ceremony outside of prying eyes? She wanted to do something, he was her possible partner in crime? It's possible, basic it on their current interaction - it's seem like they know each other, they know about each other, also are too civil, Jung Sun-A is too... focued in him and on Kim Ga-On on the galla. It's... suspicious. 

It kind of sound like a weird theory. Uh, didn't plan this, there are just the thought I've got watching the episode. Sorry for that brain-dump... 

Also, I've missjudged Isaac, and I'm glad I did. It's good that Kang Yo-Han had had this kind of relationship and person in his life. Even if his as raw as his is (ignore the social expectation and rules), he is also a person who cares about people he finds worth it. 

Yeah, I think I maybe a little focused on the wrong part of the episode ;)

PS. "I knew it..." that part actually doesn't prove he lied about the story. It's just saying that Kim Ga-On reacted as Kang Yo-Han expected, because he knows him, that kid is a bit too predictable (Jung Sun-A makes puppy eyes and he didn't even questioned why she told him, how she knew, why she even approached him...). Also, Kang Yo-Han is a good judge of character. 

EDIT: 

16 hours ago, Dddddddnnnnnnrrrrrrrr said:

I was beginning to doubt that Sunah was Saein in Yohan’s class since it seemed Saein had rich parents from America but now that she’s been proven to also be rich, I guess she could be the one.

Oh, so it's possible. Didn't connect this points, but they make sense. 

16 hours ago, Dddddddnnnnnnrrrrrrrr said:

She really is a match for YoHan and I wonder how long it will take for him to figure the truth out. 

I think he knows. He's just leaving her as the main dish, because she's somehow incolved in the fire, maybe even a cause of it. Ans she knows what he's after, observing. She's too confident she's on top of her game now, but I think, she considers him a dangerous enemy. They both playing the game now, and Kim Ga-On is they pawn (idk nothing about chess, but what I mean is... he's important player who'll chose sides and make on side win). 

I started to like this "theory". It's unreal, yet somewhat intriguing. 

Edited by Di_Ya
Typos and adding quotes.
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Blob 3

10 hours ago, noor1 said:

I cannot stannnnnddddddddd Ga-On, the entitled, rude, ignorant buffoon, who prances around everyone as if they owe him an explanation, expression of contempt etched on his face, mouthing off one insult or accusation after another. The role is badly written. Can anyone imagine this guy as a judge? Can anyone imagine such a guy talking rudely to a senior judge or the president of a country? He looks and acts like a school boy. I actually want to punch him.   

Well, he is too naïve and easy to manipulate actually. He suspected Yo Han partly because of his background (which is not the right thing to do), and mainly since the Chief Justice who also happens to be his Professor during his college days sowed the seeds of doubts in him. Problem is Ga On is not doing the thinking here, nor he is adding up things and is just buying the stories everyone has got against Yo Han. Dude doesn't even know what and when he needs to say something and when he should not. Take the restaurant scene for example, things were going smoothly and when the owner praised Yo Han for his decision, Ga On suddenly lost it. And then when Yo Han narrated his story, Ga On once again seemed to have bought it. That's why Sun A did some work on him too talking about Yo Han's brother's death. She knows how easy it is to control him and is going for it. 

10 hours ago, noor1 said:

@Sleepy OwlYo Han's brother was not wearing his chain in the right hand in the church fire, which he was show wearing before, in fact Yo Han was wearing it on his right hand during church fire (had his brother donated his chain too?)......And yeah, Jin Joo may not have set any bomb, but she acts more like a judge than Ga-On......shipping her with Yo Han.   

Well, there is chance that the brother gave it to him. The fact that Yo Han still wears it the same way, kind of makes me feel like he feels connected with his brother that way. We know Yo Han is shown to be devil in most of the people's eyes. But, if we see, so far Yo Han has been so-called devil to those who harmed him. Yo Han's brother was always for him (at least so far as they showed), so I think things were good between them. 

Coming back to episode 4, well, while I had an idea that Sun Ah is not totally under the old dude's control and is actually using him for her own benefits, she being the boss there wasn't too surprising to me, still I got to admit I didn't see it coming. To me, the most I thought was (and thought it wouldn't really go that way) that she and old dude are working with each other since they need each other. Something like a symbiotic relationship. They are together since they benefit each other. Right now, what Sun Ah is doing is staying in the shadows, making people drop their guard around her and use them as chess pieces on her chess board. We know she made her moves on both Ga On and the Minister of Justice. 

Talking about Yo Han, although his final words could be said to confuse the viewers in believing if it was real story or something he made up, I think there is more truth there than lies. They say to make your lies more believable mix some truth in it. Here while I am sure we'll be seeing another version of the incident, what I am sure is Yo Han has skipped out certain parts of the story there. Still, I doubt he has had a part in the fire incident. He wasn't really the one behind it. But he is going after those people because they fled during the fire and that too leaving a kid behind, nope, I am not gonna buy it. That's why there is more to this fire incident. 

I still think Ga On is Isaac's son. I mean why else would Yo Han care so much about it. So much to suddenly lose his cool while interrogating the interior designer and his assistant/driver/body guard/I don't know who asked him if he did because of Ga On. This dude here knows things, and Yo Han cares about him too. Since when Yo Han asked the story of the innocent young politician being falsely accused and punished by the Minister of Justice during her Prosecutor days be revealed if she wants to save her son, that dude thanked him. Yo Han had mentioned that man had a young son when he was punished and so this dude thanking Yo Han while crying proves he is that guy. Things seem to be interrelated here. 

Overall, I feel like the episodes getting better. Yo Han is still testing Ga On, seeing where will he go. Which side will he end up taking. Why did Yo Han take Ga On to the party? Was it to show him how evil the top few percentage of the society are? To make him more confused about who Yo Han really is? Or was it to show him who Yo Han is going after? Yo Han at times feels like that teacher who doesn't give you direct answers or even reference to the answers and forces you check things out yourself while throwing random unrelated hints. Looking forward to next week's episodes.   

PS: My favorite dialogue of the week: All Human Beings are Equal. In front of greed.

• Like 7
  • Unamused 1
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1