[Drama 2021] The Devil Judge ⚖️ 악마판사

Maetawinz

GOT7’s Jinyoung Shares How He Portrays His Character Symbolizing Hope In “The Devil Judge”

f36108514a264e27bb222b20c6f31fba.jpeg?s=

Jun 23, 2021
by S. Nam

GOT7’s Jinyoung revealed his thoughts on his character in tvN’s upcoming drama “The Devil Judge”!

“The Devil Judge” takes place in an alternate-universe dystopian Korea where the entire nation participates in a live broadcast courtroom show. Ji Sung stars as the titular “devil judge” Kang Yo Han. Is he a hero of the people in chaotic times, or is he a devil who wears the mask of the law?

Jinyoung will be playing Kim Ga On, an associate judge at the trial court that leads the live broadcast courtroom show. He’s a figure who pursues upright justice and truth while maintaining his humanity in a dystopian society rampant with greed and corrupt power.

Jinyoung-41.jpg

Regarding the charm of “The Devil Judge,” Jinyoung shared, “I think it’s interesting that [Kim Ga On] lives as the only character of hope within the dystopian setting of a ruined world. The fact that he’s a character who can gradually change is fascinating to me.”

Thinking back on the moment when he first learned about Kim Ga On, Jinyoung shared that he initially thought Kim Ga On would be a somewhat poor character who lives in a difficult world. He elaborated, “I also think Ga On could be the person who has the most. In the end, I feel as if a person who moves with their heart rather than material possessions is a person who is happy and rich.”

Jinyoung-32.jpg

As a heartwarming and upright person, Kim Ga On will add warmth to the drama. Jinyoung will showcase a wide variety of emotions to create the tension made by Kim Ga On endlessly suspecting the devil judge Kang Yo Han and preventing him from acting alone.

Jinyoung explained, “I hoped for Kim Ga On’s sensitivity to be portrayed in detail. Looking at the early scenes composed of reactions rather than actions, I thought that if I materialize the aspects of Ga On responding to and feeling the words of others in more detail, the character could become more charming.”

Finally, the actor shared, “I’m working hard on creating the drama while hoping that this project becomes one that lights up a small spark in everyone’s chest. You can enjoy a more rich experience if you watch while understanding the world within ‘The Devil Judge’ and knowing the relationships between the characters.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1476078wpp/got7s-jinyoung-shares-how-he-portrays-his-character-symbolizing-hope-in-the-devil-judge

• Like 3

GOT7’s Jinyoung Dishes On His Chemistry With Ji Sung In “The Devil Judge”

1a67d5d77d624c709cb8ee35ca1c36e9.jpeg?s=

Jun 27, 2021
by U. Kim

Viewers can look forward to the chemistry between Ji Sung and GOT7’s Jinyoung in “The Devil Judge”!

The upcoming tvN drama “The Devil Judge” takes place in an alternate-universe dystopian Korea where the entire nation participates in a live broadcast courtroom show. Ji Sung stars as the titular “devil judge” Kang Yo Han. Is he a hero of the people in chaotic times, or is he a devil who wears the mask of the law?

The juxtaposition of head trial judge Kang Yo Han and associate judge Kim Ga On (Jinyoung) is an aspect to anticipate. Kang Yo Han is admired by the public for his merciless punishment of evil criminals, but his methods appear more questionable the deeper one looks into them. On the other hand, Kim Ga On is constantly suspicious of Kang Yo Han and attempts to restore justice to the world. The fact that these two contrasting characters are working together in the same courtroom makes viewers wonder what will happen when they go head-to-head.

In addition to the chemistry between the characters, the teamwork between the actors playing the roles is also highly anticipated. As both actors carefully studied their characters and impressed with their solid acting skills in previous projects, it will be interesting to see how they complete their roles as Kang Yo Han and Kim Ga On and what kind of relationship they will portray.

About their characters, Jinyoung commented, “I think that Kang Yo Han is like a magnet to Kim Ga On. They are two very different people, but that’s exactly why they pull each other in.” He shared about Ji Sung, “I share many conversations about the drama and characters with Ji Sung. When acting, there are times when I feel confused, and he helped and guided me every time that happened. Thanks to him, I’m working happily on set.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1476694wpp/got7s-jinyoung-dishes-on-his-chemistry-with-ji-sung-in-the-devil-judge

“The Devil Judge” Teases Conflicting Relationships Between Characters

65565f78f1c7455b8e5e2b4658b56fe6.jpeg?s=

Jun 27, 2021
by C. Hong

tvN’s upcoming drama “The Devil Judge” has released a character relationship chart mapping out the complex network that binds the interesting cast together.

“The Devil Judge” takes place in an alternate dystopian Korea where trials are held with the entire nation participating via a live courtroom broadcast. In these chaotic times, is head judge Kang Yo Han a hero of the people or a devil who wears the mask of the law?

Ji Sung, GOT7’s JinyoungKim Min Jung, and Park Gyu Young anchor the relationship chart as the four leads of the show. Ji Sung plays Kang Yo Han, the head judge, while Jinyoung plays Kim Ga On, an associate judge in the same courtroom. According to the chart, Kang Yo Han has taken an “interest” in Kim Ga On, but Kim Ga On views the head judge with “suspicion.”

Kim Min Jung plays Jung Sun Ah, the executive director of a social responsibility foundation. Her relationship with Kang Yo Han is “obsession,” while he defines his relationship to her as “nemesis.” Jung Sun Ah’s other relationships include Seo Jung Hak, the chairman of the social responsibility foundation, and Jae Hee (Lee So Young), her secretary.

Kim Ga On also has a relationship with Yoon Soo Hyun, a police detective on an investigation team, who is played by Park Gyu Young. He thinks of her as a “childhood friend,” but her relationship to him is “one-sided love” with a question mark.

As the director of a social responsibility foundation, Jung Sun Ah has a lot of powerful political and corporate connections. This includes Heo Joong Se (Baek Hyun Jin), the nation’s president, and his wife, Do Yeon Jung; Cha Kyung Hee (Jang Young Nam), the Minister of Justice, and her husband, Lee Jae Kyung; Park Doo Man, the president of Saram Media Group, and his wife, Pi Hyang Mi; and Min Yong Shik, the president of Minbo Group, and his wife, Kim Sang Sook.

the-devil-judge1.jpeg

The second chart takes a closer look at Kang Yo Han’s family members and the other people involved in the courtroom. This includes Min Jung Ho (Ahn Nae Sang), a Supreme Court justice, in whom Kim Ga On has a lot of trust. Oh Jin Joo (Kim Jae Kyung) is a fellow associate judge of Kim Ga On: Kang Yo Han thinks of her as a “colleague,” but her relationship to him is defined as “favorable.”

Interestingly, the chart has a mysterious character named “K,” who is defined as Kang Yo Han’s helper. Kang Yo Han’s family, who is not pictured, is defined as a caretaker named Ji Young Ok, a father named Kang Ji Sang, a half-brother named Kang Yi Sak, and a niece/nephew (the word in Korean is the same) named Elijah. Although Kang Yo Han thinks of this person as a niece/nephew, Elijah’s relationship to Kang Yo Han is defined as “resentment.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1476764wpp/the-devil-judge-teases-conflicting-relationships-between-characters

• Like 3

I love the relationship between Jisung and Jinyoung character :lol: “interest” vs “suspicious” HAHA. I’m going to thoroughly enjoy their relationship and scenes with each other :cutekitty:

also Minjung and Jisung’s character relationship is interesting too. Minjung is “obsession” while Jisung is “hostile”. I’m really going to enjoy the relationship between our main leads..

I think it’s interesting that the drama takes place where Korea is a dystopia, so it’ll be intriguing to see how the drama unfolds with this kind of setting. Y’all I’m super excited for this drama!!!!

“The Devil Judge” Co-Stars Ji Sung And Kim Min Jung Share What It’s Like To Work Together Again After 13 Years

333cb9d002c74eef98485d1ab6ab1a0e.jpeg?s=

Jun 29, 2021
by L. Kim

Ji Sung and Kim Min Jung talked about their chemistry in upcoming tvN drama “The Devil Judge”!

“The Devil Judge” takes place in an alternate-universe dystopian Korea where the entire nation participates in a live broadcast courtroom show. Ji Sung stars as the titular “devil judge,” Kang Yo Han, and Kim Min Jung plays Jung Sun Ah, his nemesis and the executive director of the social responsibility foundation. Is Kang Yo Han a hero of the people in chaotic times or is he a devil who wears the mask of the law?

One of the reasons fans are looking forward to this drama is because of Ji Sung and Kim Min Jung’s teamwork. The two are reuniting for the first time in 13 years since they starred in the 2007-2008 MBC drama “New Heart” together. Ji Sung and Kim Min Jung took the time to directly share their thoughts about their chemistry and teamwork.

First off, Ji Sung commented, “I first worked with actress Kim Min Jung in the drama ‘New Heart.’ I was so happy filming it that I still remember it as a precious work to this day. I’m so thrilled to reunite with my colleague whom I starred in that drama with that it’s not enough to just say ‘it’s nice to see you again.'”

Kim Min Jung shared, “It’s been 13 years since we’ve worked together, but surprisingly enough, both of us didn’t feel like it’s been that long. Since this is our second drama together, we experience a synergy effect when we act together.”

ji-sung2.jpg

kim-min-jung2.jpg

Ji Sung then said, “My teamwork with Kim Min Jung is so great that it doesn’t need a long explanation. I was able to act while trusting and relying on her as a partner, and thanks to that, I could film with ease. Personally, I hope our chemistry can give ‘The Devil Judge’ a good synergy.” Kim Min Jung added, “I’m really grateful to Ji Sung.”

Spoiler

ji-sung-11.jpg

kim-min-jung-2.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1477145wpp/the-devil-judge-co-stars-ji-sung-and-kim-min-jung-share-what-its-like-to-work-together-again-after-13-years

• Like 2

“The Devil Judge” Cast Shares Insight Into Characters With Key Terms

9b99a81703544622a14e841c716649b8.jpeg?s=

Jun 30, 2021
by S. Nam

The cast of tvN’s upcoming drama “The Devil Judge” talked about their characters!

“The Devil Judge” takes place in an alternate-universe dystopian Korea where the entire nation participates in a live broadcast courtroom show. Ji Sung stars as the titular “devil judge” Kang Yo Han. Is Kang Yo Han a hero of the people in chaotic times, or is he a devil who wears the mask of the law?

Below are the key terms the cast members chose to express their characters!

Kang Yo Han: charisma, vampire’s dilemma

Ji Sung plays the suspicious head judge Kang Yo Han, who leads the live broadcast courtroom show. To describe his character, Ji Sung first used the word “charisma” because Kang Yo Han will consistently stay charismatic no matter what situation.

He shared, “In this world where everyone is miserable due to oppression and control, he seems like a lonely vampire rather than a person.” Using the phrase “vampire’s dilemma” to describe Kang Yo Han, Ji Sung raised anticipation for his profound personality.

Ji-Sung3.jpg

Jung Sun Ah: lovely villain, roller coaster, bungee jump, killer heels

Kim Min Jung plays Jung Sun Ah, Kang Yo Han’s nemesis and the executive director of the social responsibility foundation. The actress explained, “Sun Ah is a villain, but on the inside, she has a girly charm. She gives off the vibe of a villain with a new type of personality that is hard to hate.”

Thinking of words like “roller coaster,” “bungee jump,” and “killer heels,” Kim Min Jung commented, “The irresistible charm of wanting to continue riding [roller coasters] and wearing [killer heels] even though they seem frightening and dangerous is similar to Sun Ah’s charm.” Jung Sun Ah’s daring personality is expected to captivate viewers.

Kim-Min-Jung3.jpg

Kim Ga On: sensitive angel, sensitive, prickly, justice

GOT7’s Jinyoung revealed that he immediately thought of the phrase “sensitive angel” when he thought about his character, the associate judge Kim Ga On. Kim Ga On will keep watch of Kang Yo Han at every moment by his side. He also has a sensitive personality despite acting in the name of justice, raising excitement for the angel who will put his all into fighting for righteousness.

Spoiler

Jinyoung-24.jpg

Yoon Soo Hyun: firm Malang Cow (chewing candy), hard gummy

Park Gyu Young will play Yoon Soo Hyun, a skillful police detective in a regional investigation unit who is on the hunt for Kang Yo Han’s secrets. Although she doesn’t get discouraged easily and stays strong and cool-headed while working, Yoon Soo Hyun is someone who wavers a lot when it comes to her relationship with her childhood friend Kim Ga On. These contrasting aspects of her character is what led Park Gyu Young to choose the terms “firm Malang Cow” and “hard gummy” to describe Yoon Soo Hyun. Yoon Soo Hyun is a character who wants to protect Kim Ga On no matter what.

Spoiler

Park-Gyu-Young.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1477266wpp/the-devil-judge-cast-shares-insight-into-characters-with-key-terms

• Like 2

Watch: Ji Sung, GOT7’s Jinyoung, And Kim Min Jung Have Drastically Different Views In Intense Highlight Video For “The Devil Judge”

0d1ce20b5bba4e919e9c4321e7d68123.jpeg?s=

Jul 1, 2021
by L. Kim

Upcoming tvN weekend drama “The Devil Judge” released a new highlight video!

“The Devil Judge” takes place in an alternate-universe dystopian Korea where the entire nation participates in a live broadcast courtroom show. Ji Sung stars as the titular “devil judge” Kang Yo Han. Is Kang Yo Han a hero of the people in chaotic times, or is he a devil who wears the mask of the law?

The newly released highlight video shares a glimpse of the characters’ vastly different philosophies, goals, and personalities.

First off, Kang Yo Han shows his deep resentment towards humans, and he is someone who is more terrifying than criminals who have committed crimes. His voiceover announces the beginning of the broadcast courtroom show, saying, “Everyone, your court will now begin.” The video shows glimpses of Kang Yo Han’s dark side as he seemingly gets revenge against those who did wrong.

Then there’s Kim Ga On (GOT7’s Jinyoung), an associate judge who questions Kang Yo Han’s motives. He asks, “Why is Kang Yo Han making things more bigger than they already are?” Kang Yo Han turns to Kim Ga On and explains, “A trial is a game. A game you can lose if you can’t prove [yourself]. It’s unfortunate, but there’s no such thing as justice in reality.”

The teaser shares a peek of Jung Sun Ah (Kim Min Jung) as well. She is an ambitious character with irresistible charms who approaches her nemesis Kang Yo Han with ease. She explains, “The world is a jungle. How can we be nice when we can barely survive by eating and biting each other?”

The second half of the clip depicts Kim Ga On’s rough life as he enters the judicial world. He faces all kinds of trials and tribulations, and he has to decide between what’s right and what’s wrong. The only one who faithfully remains by his side is Yoon Soo Hyun (Park Gyu Young), a skillful police detective in a regional investigation unit who is on the hunt for Kang Yo Han’s secrets.

Kim Ga On desires to judge criminals properly by using the law, but Kang Yo Han firmly sticks to his questionable ways. He pins Kim Ga On to the bookshelf and warns, “If you get in my way, you’ll pay the price.” They end up getting violent with each other, and viewers are left wondering: is Kang Yo Han a true hero or a devil in disguise?

https://www.soompi.com/article/1477486wpp/watch-ji-sung-got7s-jinyoung-and-kim-min-jung-have-drastically-different-views-in-intense-highlight-video-for-the-devil-judge

• Like 3

GOT7’s Jinyoung Puts His Life At Risk As Ji Sung Takes Aim In “The Devil Judge”

a74cc60e19504517b164e05fd1a3a7b7.jpeg?s=

Jul 3, 2021
by E. Cha

tvN’s upcoming drama “The Devil Judge” has shared a suspenseful sneak peek of tonight’s premiere!

“The Devil Judge” is a new drama set in an alternate-universe, dystopian version of Korea where the entire nation participates in a trial through a live broadcast courtroom show. Ji Sung will star as Kang Yo Han, a head judge with mysterious intentions: is he a hero of the people in a world filled with chaos, or is he a devil who wears the mask of the law?

Meanwhile, GOT7’s Jinyoung will star as Kim Ga On, a young associate judge who is passionate about justice and grows suspicious of Kang Yo Han’s motives.

On July 3, “The Devil Judge” released an intriguing new set of stills from its upcoming first episode. The photos capture a tense moment between Kang Yo Han and Kim Ga On with life-or-death stakes—and also hint at the stark difference between the two men’s personalities.

Impeccably dressed and without a hair out of place, Kang Yo Han coolly aims his weapon and prepares to shoot. Despite seeming ready to fire at any second, the judge appears entirely unfazed by the crisis unfolding around him. Even after he lowers his gun, his expression is impossible to read.

Meanwhile, Kim Ga On valiantly throws himself into harm’s way to rescue a child as a school bus races towards her. Selflessly putting his life on the line, Kim Ga On rushes into the road and takes the child in his arms to protect her from the danger hurtling towards them.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1477660wpp/got7s-jinyoung-puts-his-life-at-risk-as-ji-sung-takes-aim-in-the-devil-judge

• Awesome 1

*raises hand* Same here, @ferily! I can't wait, too! Especially when this drama is taking over Lee Bo Young's drama slot Mine! 

Also I just learned that the writer for this drama is a real life judge! It's going to be fascinating to see how she builds a dystopian world.  

----

Edit:

Just a quick drop in to share my thoughts. So far I love the storytelling. The certain issues in the drama reflects upon current events. 

And because I'm a visual person, I always love to take notice of the set design echoing the shots.

XJIeGCx.png

The visual art at the background resembles the contemplative scene of YoHan staring at his judge robe.

i4dMR5S.png

And there's the significance of the circular form

Spoiler

VMIk9wN.png

Ke9rTlR.png

(top view of the courtroom where they started the first historical broadcast)

Also if anyone noticed, this actor was Jisung's dad in Kill Me, Heal Me!

IKtHmO2.png

• Like 10