[Drama 2021] The Devil Judge ⚖️ 악마판사

Maetawinz

Is "Devil Judge" really a demon or monster? 

This will be the drama kept raising the fundamental questions about the law and justice and the future of human society.

Kang Yohan pursued a trial conducted completely in accordance with "the wishes of the people" - such as making effective use of the media to make the court a reality show scene to increase the popularity, using big data to master what most people want to see on screen, and draw the corresponding conclusion

The drama challenge the viewers  Isn't this the justice that everyone wants?

-To make the court trial public to the world in the form of live television

-To carry out revolutionary experiments that can quickly realize the hope of the people.

Someone mentioned that the writer previously was a court judge, his intention for this drama is probably using the two male leads (bromance relationship) to bring out this mirror of reflection - the existing rule of law system can no longer satisfy people as they no longer believe in human rights, protect minorities, respect diversity, democracy and the rule of law. Using the powerful force to call and clean up this messy society.

I am quite sure when the story develops further, the closer Kim Ga-On gets to Kang Yohan, the more chaotic his heart is. At first, everyone regarded Yohan as a caterpillar who used the trial as a springboard and showed others' political ambitions, and used the trial as a tool to hunt and kill people. Based on the ads poster shown the bromance relationship that will develop further, I think that Kim Ga-On can always feel Yohan's bleak loneliness in his heart. I won't be surprised that we will be seeing Kim Ga-On soon be tortured by the entanglement, struggling between his boss and his respected professor. Knowing that Yohan unconsciously relied on himself and revealed his heart, it would be painful to deceive and betray Yohan's position. This seems too cruel to him. He couldn't define what Yohan did. 

The story is quite similar to the previous drama "Taxi Driver", just that this drama is on different context.

Will there be a turning point at the end, we shall see !!!

• Like 8
  • Blob 3

@peachietime that’s interesting that people don’t like Ga On because I personally like him so far? I haven’t watched episode 2 yet but I found myself rooting for Ga On while watching episode 1 and as he is trying to figure out what kind of person Yo Han is. Yes, he does seem like he’s young, is upright and goes by the book but he seems like a genuinely good person and wants to do what’s right. Actually now it really gives me flashbacks to how Yeo Jin Goo’s character was in Beyond Evil…

Also I hope that the reason why I Like Ga On isn’t because jinyoung is acting as him :sweatingbullets:

• Like 3
  • Blob 4

In real life, I would probably really like Gaon. He's upright but also young and naive and that combo can lead to self-righteousness. I don't dislike him in the drama, I just find gray characters more interesting. I suspect Gaon will get more gray as the drama goes along, and I look forward to it. Right now, we are seeing everything through his black/white POV, and it's natural that would rub some the wrong way. 

• Like 5
  • Blob 3

After 2 episodes, I love the story of the drama.   A former judge turned writer in the production team wrote an excellent depiction of how a real judge should act in court.  The lead judge character is a mystery 3 dimensional.  I love the rise of dark anti hero role that is on the rise right now.  I'll post more my impression of the 2 weeks episodes when I'm not to busy in life

• Like 4
  • Blob 3

Ep. 2 wasn't what I wanted: I wanted another flashy trial, instead we got more of the trap Yo-han is setting up for the 'Team'. It is obvious that he wants to bring down all of the elites (nexus of vested interest groups) shown in scene one of Ep. 1, including the current president of the country who set up the entire TV trial system in the first place. Maybe Yo-han wants to set an example for hard justice and simultaneously remove all obstacles in his way to become president himself? A populist dictator benevolent to the citizens? Or someone who saves 'Gotham' and is never seen again.

Ga-on will try to bring down Yo-han before realising Yo-han means well, and then will work with him.  

I think Sun-Ah is on the same side as Yo-han, she is just pretending to be working for Social Responsibility Foundation. And yeah, she may be the girl who sat opposite the young outcast Yo-han, and enjoys mayhem and manipulation a bit more than Yo-han, who causes chaos to protect people. She's probably catwoman to his batman, though I would've preferred Jin-Joo for him.  

I want to know why Yo-han is going to underground tunnels picking up homeless men and who his phone-sidekick/informant is.

Why doesn't Yo-han consult the junior judges before his final decision? I thought that was a loophole in first trial. 

--------------------------------------

@Sleepy Owl  The bomb is planted by Jin-Joo who is sleeping in the office all the time and has access to everything. If Chief Justice can have his man work with Yo-han, someone else (big fish) can get their own person in the judges panel too. 

--------------------------------------

I thought Ga-on was rude, obnoxious, irritating, judgmental (no pun intended), entitled little prick, with bad manners, showing his disgust to a senior judge (and well, star of the TV trial show) openly in the office, at a dinner, at a function! Who the hell does he think he is? He's selected to be on a TV show for god's sake set up by the Korean president to 'show justice' being done, to pacify people and raise his popularity in dystopian society. If he wanted to work in a proper office, maybe he should've interned with the Chief Justice of Supreme Court instead. CJ wants him to find misconduct, the easiest way to do that is by being Yo-han's friend, not rude rookie. 

Soo-hyun comes across as pathetic in asking him to marry her or date her after every 2 seconds. He's said he doesn't want to lose the best friend, and still records her confessions to listen to privately. This guy is lost and looking like a loser. Soo-hyun may just end up dead. She has unrequited lover written all over her. 

---------------------------------------- 

One extremely troubling aspect of the show, and Korean shows in general, is how casually suicide is spoken of and used as a prop to promote victimhood. Everyone in Ep.1 is supposed to feel sorry for the bus driver whose mother killed herself over the granddaughter's death and Ga-on's parents killed themselves when they got swindled out of money. No one is asking or saying to anyone that there was no need for grandmother to kill herself, it's not the fault of the chemical company's CEO that some dumb old woman killed herself, or the stupid selfish parents who suddenly lost all their money to kill themselves over shame, and leave their only son to fend for himself! Everyone in the drama wants us, the viewers, to feel sorry for these events and as viewers to sympathize with the 'poor helpless people' - I think Korean shows and society takes mental health very casually, and suicide is played up to promote victimhood as opposed to seen as a mental health crisis where people can choose their actions to be less destructive. No wonder it has one of the highest suicide rates in the world.  They glorify and accept suicide as a way of life.   

Wrong move. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 4

4 hours ago, noor1 said:

I think Sun-Ah is on the same side as Yo-han, she is just pretending to be working for Social Responsibility Foundation. And yeah, she may be the girl who sat opposite the young outcast Yo-han, and enjoys mayhem and manipulation a bit more than Yo-han, who causes chaos to protect people. She's probably catwoman to his batman, though I would've preferred Jin-Joo for him.  

Hi dear chingu, I like your theory. 

If Kang Yo-Han is a Batman, then Kim Ga-On would be Robin.

Jung Sun-A would be Poison Ivy while Oh Jin-Joo should be Catwoman.

Why Sun-A is highly likely a Poison Ivy:D

Ivy has a somewhat love/hate relationship with Batman; on some occasions she claims to love him and desires his affection, while on others she is more than willing to kill him. On the last scene of EP2, She wanted to manipulate him although she knew well that it wasn't easy to control him. This reflected the love/hate relationship between Yohan and Sun-A. I watched the BTS interview in youtube that Yohan said he and Sun-A relationship will not be couple like previous drama, they both are in devil roles, means they have their own agenda.  

Let's have fun to watch how the writer describes the batman series comic roles in this drama. :D

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 3

5 hours ago, noor1 said:

Why doesn't Yo-han consult the junior judges before his final decision? I thought that was a loophole in first trial. 

Oh, I wouldn't call it a loophole since Yo Han had already informed them that he only has them in the court for it to look good, and they wouldn't really have to do much in the trials. 

6 hours ago, noor1 said:

@Sleepy Owl  The bomb is planted by Jin-Joo who is sleeping in the office all the time and has access to everything. If Chief Justice can have his man work with Yo-han, someone else (big fish) can get their own person in the judges panel too. 

Now that you mention it, I think she could be a suspect too. We all know that Jin Joo will not be a small side character and she will be having a fair amount of contribution to the plot. I also strongly feel that just like Ga On, Yo Han chose Jin Joo for some reasons and not randomly or because she was beautiful like she thinks/claims. 

Regarding Ga On, @agenth Chingu I do agree with you. What's interesting is, he didn't even meet Yo Han and was already suspicious of him thanks to his Professor who also happens to be the Chief Justice right now. Another thing is that he remained suspicious even after Yo Han's judgement was totally opposite of what both Chief Justice and Ga On were thinking would be. So I agree that there is a high chance that his suspicions also stem from him knowing Yo Han's background. 

At the same time, he is kinda hypocritical since he himself is indulging in unlawful activities to get Yo Han. So I wouldn't see him too righteous, as least not to the point he thinks he is. Even if he is a fresh graduate (as it seems to be) and this is his first job as judge, I think he is being too emotional when it comes to backgrounds, and the first rule of being judge is to leave all kinds of bias. For now, seeing how he assumed things and went after Yo Han being son of a rich guy who happened to be a loan shark, and judging him for it, for now, he has a long way in becoming a judge. Since a judge is not supposed to judge based on the backgrounds and make assumptions. 

We saw this in the case of bus driver. Yo Han's point was valid, when comparing the bus driver and rich dude whose trial was supposed to be happening, the bus driver was a criminal caught in the act. He would have turned a murderer if Yo Han didn't take the action. He could have killed children and other people including Ga On. But the rich dude had accusations which were yet to be proved. That's why the rich dude was a defendant, he could end up being innocent or guilty based on the evidences, facts presented in the trial. But for the bus driver, as I said, he was already caught in the act. His circumstances wouldn't really help him if he had killed people. So once again, I think Ga On was too emotional here while being wrong too. 

Talking about the school scene, I think it would be interesting if Yo Han is proved to be not the person who created the chaos in the classroom. For now, he is the main suspect there, but, we hear it from a guy who was among the kids who had already classified Yo Han as devil, which means he could be suspecting Yo Han for it. While I am inclined to the fact that he did it, I am not leaving out the other possibility of someone else being the one who did it all and Yo Han enjoying it since well, who wouldn't like to see his own bullies fight amongst themselves leaving him alone. 

• Like 5
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

18 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

At the same time, he is kinda hypocritical since he himself is indulging in unlawful activities to get Yo Han. So I wouldn't see him too righteous, as least not to the point he thinks he is. Even if he is a fresh graduate (as it seems to be) and this is his first job as judge, I think he is being too emotional when it comes to backgrounds, and the first rule of being judge is to leave all kinds of bias. For now, seeing how he assumed things and went after Yo Han being son of a rich guy who happened to be a loan shark, and judging him for it, for now, he has a long way in becoming a judge. Since a judge is not supposed to judge based on the backgrounds and make assumptions. 

[.......]

Talking about the school scene, I think it would be interesting if Yo Han is proved to be not the person who created the chaos in the classroom. For now, he is the main suspect there, but, we hear it from a guy who was among the kids who had already classified Yo Han as devil, which means he could be suspecting Yo Han for it. While I am inclined to the fact that he did it, I am not leaving out the other possibility of someone else being the one who did it all and Yo Han enjoying it since well, who wouldn't like to see his own bullies fight amongst themselves leaving him alone. 

Again I must cut off an excellent reply in the interest of discussion. 

To be honest, I often observe those who are selfrighteous and proclaim superior morality to be quite hypocritical (blind to / ignoring their own flaws). Selfrighteous people usually are convinced of their belief being right and by making that judgment they refuse to look at other point of views. In their quest to show superiority, they forget their own actions in order to prove another to be less than what they are. That's why I'm not surprised that Gaon is unwaveringly believing in Chief Justice and himself (for now). 

However, it's harder to swallow that dinner. It is fine to dislike your boss, but I hardly think anyone would say such things about their superior to their face, when they just started their job. Veiled, subtle denouncing comments? Yes. Blatant disrespect? No. I have 0 sympathy about Gaon's emotional breakdown, considering the way he chose to throw stones at Yohan. It would have been more believable / smarter if the writer had Gaon attack Yohan's policies (the laws he designed) rather than drawing conclusions from facts. If someone insulted Chief Justice in Gaon's presence, saying "Oh hey Harabeoji, are you getting senile?" then I'm sure Gaon would be offended on behalf of him. Using facts and twisting them into insults, that's what I just did, same as Gaon with his comments on Yohan. 

Then again Gaon knows nothing about Yohan :D, even though Yohan is Gaon's spy target. All he did was place bugs, but not research him. 

Regarding the school scene, I also believe that that priest is an unreliable narrator. Yohan is shown wearing priest garment and a cross - that is probably a telltale sign that his roots with church are not far, yet the same church representant denounces Yohan as devil. It's hard to swallow that the school let other kids bully Yohan, and not take action, so hopefully more will be revealed on this. 

Usually parents would change schools for their bullied child, but in this case it seems Yohan didn't have his parents around anyway. Perhaps he was in this orphanage? He is rich, but had no adults. 

• Like 4
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

@noor1  I'm with you on the how they use suicide to play the victimhood.  Talking about mental health is still a big problem in dramas and in general in South Korea. And the way they use suicide in dramas. I Honestly sometimes want to throw up.

I really like the parallels between this drama and Gotham. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

It seems to me that Yo Han is someone who will do whatever it takes to get justice, even it means getting his hands dirty - i.e. the trial with the chairman and having the "doctor" falsely testify. I am still puzzled whether Yo Han stands for the good or bad or whether he is just playing them all to get the justice he wants. He helped the victims from the chairman of the chemical company, but when it came to the victim, it seems like he could careless about comforting them. We also see the flashback of Yo Han when he was young and he created chaos between the rich and poor neighborhood (also seriously bullying is not a funny matter. I can't believe kids that age would call Yo Han a monster and bully him...Bullying is a serious issue, especially in Korea). It seems like his personality is the way it is because of his father and his background. I actually can't wait and hope that the drama delves deeper in Yo Han's past and explain why he is the way he is in the present.

Regarding Ga On, I mentioned before that I personally like him so far. I agree with @qynn and if it was someone we knew in real life, I feel like we'd like him over someone like Yo Han. I know that Ga On is digging into Yo Han right now and suspecting him, but I can't wait until the moment the two start working together. I am all in for the BROMANCE!! :lol:

But I got to say that this drama is absolutely killing it! I am loving the plot and all the characters in the drama so far. The cinematography is beautiful and I love the way the scenes are shot and the transition between certain scenes. Also how cool was that car chase :coolshades: I'm just wondering, the car that Yo Han ruined...how much does that car cost? is that an actual sports car?! Hahaha... Only 3 more days until Episode 3!

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Blob 4

Finally managed to watch both ep 1 and 2.

I almost dropped the drama during ep 1 (felt it was draggy) but fortunately ep 2 was an improvement, so am still onboard.

I already chatted with @agenth and @Sleepy Owl about my theories (I have a lot of them :D ). Will only list a few of them for now:

• Professor Min is a baddie in this drama. Don't be fooled by his nice act.
  • Yo Han and Ga On are related somehow through Ga On's parents. Either they are brothers/half-brothers or then Yo Han is connected somehow to the parents' death
  • I feel like Yo Han could be adopted or illegitimate. He could have "come from the wrong side of the tracks" originally and been thrown into the rich world. He was clearly not happy in the rich world and was abused. I think the inner turmoil over poor vs. rich started early on (hence the classroom scene), and this is what is ultimately driving him for now.
  • Jung Sun Ah and Yo Han have a childhood connection. I have a strong feeling that they knew each other as kids. One might have been rich and the other one poor.
    But what is clear, is that both are fighting for the same goal using similar means (creating chaos). I look forward to the day when they start working together.
  • I don't think that Yo Han is an anti-hero nor a villain. I believe his ultimate goal might be to bring this whole Social Responsibility Foundation and dystopian society down. In essence, he is fighting for the people's rights and for the people's best.
  • Even though @Sleepy Owl believes that the female detective might die, I am rooting for her. She will be in danger for sure, but having her die would be too cruel to Ga On who already lost his parents and who is scared to open up his heart to his best friend in fear of losing her too... Nah, I'm gonna be rooting for a happy ending for our second leads instead. :kiss_wink:

There are a lot of church and religious connotations and symbolism in the drama. Even Yo Han's name is of Hebrew origin (meaning "God is gracious") and surely one can draw parallels to Johanan the High Priest....

Even though the dystopian society is a neat and interesting concept, I have to give a little bit of criticism to the lighting director and the cinematographer. I think they could utilize lighting more extensively to give additional dramatic effect. For now it's feeling a bit flat.

This type of drama would need stronger cinematography to underline the absurdity of making court sessions into reality  TV.

And I couldn't stop thinking of Casesar Flickerman from Hunger Games as I was watching the first trial. :D

tumblr_nu3usb30uT1uf7qrjo1_500.gifv

I am so looking forward to the next episode when Minister Cha Kyung Hee's son is going to stand trial for assault. She's gonna be maaaaaddddd..... :D

• Like 5
    • Love 5
    • Insightful 1

The Devil Judge: Episode 1

by quirkycase

thedeviljudge_header1.jpg

The charismatic Ji Sung is back as a mysterious celebrity judge in the ruthless world of tVN’s newest offering The Devil Judge. Amid social turmoil, the powers that be decide to appease the masses by allowing for reality TV style trials in which the public gets a vote in the accused’s fate. Not everyone is thrilled at this prospect, including an idealistic young judge played by Jinyoung. This sleek drama is almost apocalyptic in its framing of classist conflict and a world in which those greedy for power wield “democracy” as a tool of suppression.

EPISODE 1

DJ01-01486.jpg

Our opening shots are all glitz and glamour as KANG YO-HAN (Ji Sung) drives his flashy sports car through the nighttime streets of Seoul. At a swanky event by the Social Responsibility Foundation [SRF], the country’s PRESIDENT HEO (Baek Hyun-jin) gives an impassioned speech that’s broadcast to the nation.

We see a very different Seoul as Yo-han drives past a barricade of police in riot gear and through fire-lit streets that look like a war zone. President Heo rails about the “groundless” persecution of rich people that’s leading to arson and terrorism in the streets and has culminated in the Gwanghwamun Riot. His speech is intercut with shots of protesting, looting, and clashes between citizens and police.

President Heo calls the high unemployment rates and economic strife a thing of the past and vows to change everything. The virus has finally been overcome, and it’s time to move forward.

As destruction ravages the streets, the SRF’s CHAIRMAN SEO (Jung In-kyeom) schmoozes with the elite at his fundraiser. Everyone from the Minister of Justice MINISTER CHA (Jang Young-nam) to prominent chairmen of conglomerates are in attendance.

President Heo promises bolster the economy through job creation and restore Korea to its former glory. Everyone cheers and donations come rolling in, but JUNG SUN-AH (Kim Min-jung) and Chairman Seo critique the president’s habit of going overboard when cameras roll.

Yo-han arrives as President Heo announces his new judicial reform bill that will allow the entire nation to serve as jurors under the “ruthless” presiding judge. Yo-han receives a warm welcome from attendees and takes questions from skeptical journalists about the ethicality of this new system.

He dismisses any notion that offenders, regardless of class or ability status, are anything other than criminals deserving of the harsh sentences he doles out. Concerned murmurs run through the crowd when Yo-han shouts that he holds the power and will not allow anyone to influence his sentences. No one is above the people: “The people are the power.” Sun-ah approaches him after his speech to offer her congratulations, and they toast to power.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/07/the-devil-judge-episode-1/

• Like 5
    • Love 1
    • Thanks 1
    • Blob 1

• Maetawinz changed the title to [Current Drama 2021] The Devil Judge ⚖️ 악마판사 - Sat & Sun @ 21:00 KST

First Impressions: “The Devil Judge” Is A Hard-Hitting Spectacle Of Hope And Fury

9975ff9fe59342ad876584507e25200f.png?s=9

Jul 10, 2021
    by shalini

Ji Sung is back, and promises to shake things up as the titular devil judge of tvN’s newest Saturday-Sunday drama from the brilliant writer of “Ms. Hammurabi.” The teasers for “The Devil Judge” promised pageantry, warring philosophies, and Ji Sung having chemistry with everyone (how does he manage to have sparks with Kim Jae Kyung, Jinyoung, and Kim Min Jung?). And the drama definitely delivers!

Here’s what we loved about the first couple episodes!

Warning: spoilers for episodes 1-2 below.

1. The ensemble cast

kim-min-jung.gif

The show’s built a universe that’s a contained depiction of modern society, from the media controlled by wealthy corporate players, to the Ministry of Justice being little more than a puppet show put on for the public by incarcerating low-level criminals, plus the difficulty of proving the detrimental medical effects of megacorp pollution. These plotlines require heavy lifting on part of the actors, and the veterans here carry the show just as hard as our main quartet.

The President, Heo Joong Se (Baek Hyun Jin), approves the idea of a televised courtroom with the consent of Cha Kyung Hee (Jang Young Nam), the Minister of Justice. Park Du Man (Lee Seo Hwan), CEO of Saram Media Group owns the channel that airs the trial and stands to profit if it proves a hit, while lecherous Seo Jung Hak (Jung In Kyum) runs the Social Responsibility Foundation (a catch-all substitute for NGOs and the UN) and seems to hoard much of its donations to build himself expensive sarcophagi-stuffed meditation rooms.

These people (and several other CEOs) form the wealthy elite that run the country from behind the scenes and essentially own it in all but name. From the sly way they eye Kang Yo Han (Ji Sung) and Jung Sun Ah (Kim Min Jung), it’s clear that they don’t consider them to be a part of their exclusive club, but as lackeys to shape laws and public opinion the way these people wish. But all that is about to change. Because Yo Han’s been watching them as they scheme, weasel their way out of trouble, and cut down any one who opposes them, and he’s about to make them all pay.

2. Trial by the people, for the people

ji-sung-jinyoung-kim-jaekyung.gif

The initial teasers teased a set-up akin to tvN’s brilliant adaptation of “Liar Game” but “The Devil Judge” has a slightly different take. Both shows use television as their medium, but “Liar Game” used its reality show to highlight human self-interest and greed, while the live courtroom in “The Devil Judge” sells the illusion of justice to people. The idea seems to be Yo Han’s brainchild. There’s a sense that he’s waited a really long time for this and that the game he’s playing has just begun.

The devil’s in the details with the show. The judges’ robes mimic the extravagance of clergy robes, directly drawing parallels between judges and the idea of playing God, which Kang Yo Han runs with here. There’s a brilliance to how he manufactures a story during the trial. There’s the blustering defendant, the passionate prosecutor who seems like he’s going to lose, the sleazy defense counsel blatantly using every trick in the book to worm his client out of the charges, the recanting witness plagued by guilt and conscience, and that moment when it seems that justice will not happen, but Yo Han gives an impassioned delivery of the defendant’s sentence. It reads like a story, with highs and lows. It’s too perfect, and fellow judge Kim Ga On (Jinyoung) sees it.

Because this isn’t about giving people real choice – it’s about manipulating them into seeing what Yo Han already knows. It’s a twisted process to achieve a just result.

But there’s more to it than just that. Through the first trial, Yo Han not only took down a powerful CEO and earned the people’s faith, but he also earned powerNot the kind of power he already had, the kind that comes with strings, but the kind that acts as a shield because the entire nation is on his side now. The wealthy elite who saw him as a tool, like Cha Kyung Hee, make the nasty discovery that he’s suddenly on the same level as them. Untouchable.

And the thing with people who are untouchable is that only they can bring each other down. But Yo Han always knew that.

3. Ji Sung as the (ridiculously attractive) antihero

Ji Sung’s role here seems similar to Shin Ha Kyun‘s incredible turn in “Beyond Evil,” which is exciting because Ji Sung hasn’t flexed his antihero acting muscles since 2015 when he played the indelible Shin Se Gi in “Kill Me Heal Me.” But unlike Se Gi’s manic madness, Kang Yo Han is all restraint, all pointed glances, and soft-spoken barbs. There’s a solid wall between him and the rest of the world, yet there’s something in his mannerisms – in the detached but amused way he surveys those around him – that hints at a wildness. Jung Sun Ah remarks that she isn’t sure if Yo Han is tame, and that might be the closest word for what we currently see. He’s a man who makes his own law in a world where the law means nothing. And oh boy is he delicious. Oh Jin Joo (Kim Jae Kyung) looks beyond delighted when waltzing with him, and who can blame her!

It is worth noting though that Yo Han operates under an extreme version of Hammurabi’s Code (the codex from which the infamous “eye for an eye” originated). He seems more of a “two eyes for an eye” kind of person. His conversation with Ga On at their awkward post-trial dinner highlights that much. Ga On goes too far in making a couple digs about the profession of Yo Han’s father and just how that would have impacted his parenting. Yo Han patiently takes it for a few minutes, and retaliates even harder in one sentence by bringing up the suicide of Ga On’s parents, wiping Ga On out. Yo Han’s revenge upon his classmates proves the same. He may seem calm and collected, but he’s just planning revenge.

But for all Ga On’s suspicion, we haven’t actually seen Yo Han do anything terrible. He’s a born manipulator but we haven’t seen anything so evil that justifies Ga On’s antagonism. Yo Han’s methods are without a doubt illegal, but they’re only necessary because the system is broken.

But that reality (and philosophy) doesn’t sit well with Ga On, the optimistic foil, to Yo Han’s brooding antihero.

4. Jinyoung as the unwavering optimist

Ga On is, in essence, the uncorrupted lens through which we see the show. “The Devil Judge” thankfully doesn’t linger too long on his background and what happened to his parents, but it appears this will be relevant later on. Yo Han continuously murmurs that Ga On looks just like “him,” while flashing back to a burning church and a man that looks like Ga On silhouetted against the flames.

Min Jung Ho (the brilliant Ahn Nae Sang), Ga On’s professor and mentor, speaks of Ga On’s troubled past. Perhaps for all his optimism and staunch faith in due process, Ga On isn’t as innocent as he appears. What’s certain is that the man shows an incredible disregard for his own safety. There’s a school bus veering toward a little girl? Ga On’s to the rescue. Yellow Corvette attempting to kill people? Ga On’s on the way. Exploding painting? Ga On’s here to physically be a shield. Ga On, please be safe.

His best friend and apparent romantic interest Yoon Soo Hyun (Park Gyu Young) is just as casual about her safety. A no-holds-barred cop who, despite her profession, still seems to hold onto an innocent faith in the world and in justice the way Ga On has, Soo Hyun would clearly do anything for him and vice versa. Their relationship is refreshing among the vast catalogue of drama romances – best friends who trust and rely on each other while clearly having feelings for each other, but those feelings don’t interfere with their friendship. But their relationship isn’t the heart of the show.

5. The warring philosophies at the heart of the show

What does it mean to defeat evil with evil? To Ga On, this is arrogance and madness. To Yo Han, this is reality. Ga On’s philosophy is unyielding: justice should always be pure and never underhand, or else it is little more than lawlessness. Yo Han sees this as naïve, and given what he’s up against, it’s hard not to agree. As he explains to an aghast Ga On, a trial is a game where the wealthy always have the upper hand. What Yo Han does is to even the score. Those who get hurt are the ones that deserve it, so what’s the problem? Ga On and Soo Hyun’s answer makes no sense. They argue it’s just wrong anyway because no one should be above the law, but they fail to recognize that it is unrealistic. If the preview is any indication though, those rosy ideals are about to start shattering.

Clocking in at three hours a week, “The Devil Judge” packs quite a punch. There’s so much to cover! We’ve only seen Jung Sun Ah in the periphery thus far, but she seems formidable in the extreme. Sweet, sly, incredibly-dressed, and hiding much more than she shows, this is no mere secretary. She seems quite disgusted by Chairman Seo, and quite taken with Yo Han. There is so much chemistry just oozing between them during that dance at the Social Responsibility Foundation’s fundraiser!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1476219wpp/first-impressions-the-devil-judge-is-a-hard-hitting-spectable-of-hope-and-fury

• Like 2
    • Insightful 1
    • Blob 3

Ji Sung And Park Gyu Young Come Across Tense Situations In “The Devil Judge”

a633957e82734b6899d3ca976870d728.jpeg?s=

Jul 10, 2021
    by L. Kim

tvN’s “The Devil Judge” shared new stills ahead of the third episode!

“The Devil Judge” is a new drama set in an alternate-universe, dystopian version of Korea where the entire nation participates in a trial through a live broadcast courtroom show. Ji Sung stars as Kang Yo Han, a head judge with mysterious intentions: is he a hero of the people in a world filled with chaos, or is he a devil who wears the mask of the law?

Spoilers

Previously, Yoon Soo Hyun (Park Gyu Young) seemed hopeful that Kang Yo Han could be a new savior who would completely reform the nation’s judicial system that was in chaos. However, Kim Ga On (GOT7’s Jinyoung) grew doubtful of Kang Yo Han, and after witnessing something questionable herself, she became suspicious as well and decided to investigate about him. Furthermore, after hearing his elementary school classmate describe him as “a devil,” she’s been keeping an eye on all of his activities.

In the newly released stills, Kang Yo Han is in a mysterious place while wearing a black hood that shrouds his identity. During the day, he wears his judicial robes and stands on the court to fight for justice, but at night, he turns into someone completely different as he prowls about the city in casual attire. In the photos, he is trying to not expose his identity, and his expression grows pensive as he attempts to come up with a new plan.

ji-sung1.jpg

Tension maximizes in the next photo where Yoon Soo Hyun is aiming a gun at someone. The fact that she pulled out her gun means she’s in a dangerous situation. Who is the opponent she is facing?

In addition, the drama shared a glimpse of Kang Yo Han’s hidden helper K (Lee Ki Taek) at the scene. These photos hint that Yoon Soo Hyun might have been chasing after Kang Yo Han.

• Like 1
    • Love 2
    • Thanks 1
    • Blob 2

Only saw it as raw, I think they are related

Spoiler

Photo that saw is the same face.  Think that they are  half brother the same mother.  the mother somewhat cheating on his father.  I think is not his father that was I saw in raw episode 3  I don't know Korea but only the basic greeting,

• Like 1
    • Blob 1

Wow, I just loved this episode. We got several questions answered and the development was good. I liked the fact they revealed certain things this soon as now the plot will not be about these being revealed and wasting screen time on it, but we'll see more things happen. 

So, chatting with @agenth Chingu and @partyon Noona we discussed the reasons behind Yo Han being an abused kid at home (which was evident during his introduction on the first day of his school), and I had mentioned that it must be because he was an illegitimate child. Interesting that it came true. What's more interesting is the fact that they revealed Yo Han and Ga On's relationship this early. It is clear that Ga On is Isaac's son. So with Isaac dead who also happened to be the true heir Yo Han became the heir. I wonder who that girl on the wheelchair is, is that their sister? Or, is she Ga On's sister? Isaac's photo was with a little girl and it could be the girl on the wheelchair. 

While people are suspecting Yo Han for killing his brother as he could be behind the fire, we all know that there is more to it, and perhaps this is exactly what Yo Han is after. What I am sure about so far is the fact that Yo Han saw his step brother as real brother given how much Isaac cared about him. That's why he now wears Isaac's cross in his wrist just Isaac did and the cross I think belongs to Isaac's mother. That is a keepsake belonging to his brother and he is wearing it for the same reason. That's why Yo Han had the fire flashback before changing into the Judge's robes before the first live trial, since he was moving one step ahead in his plan to get revenge. Now this could be too early for to conclude, but so far it looks to be the case to me. 

Another good thing was they revealed pretty early about who was behind the bombing and it wasn't Yo Han not wasting much time on the same. I think the other guy who followed Yo Han to that interior designer does know about Yo Han's relation with Ga On since when Yo Han nearly lost it and had to be controlled, he later asked him if he was doing it all because of Ga On. So, I think the reason Yo Han has involved Ga On into all this is because he might be believing this is not only his own revenge, but also Ga On's revenge too. 

That's why I think Yo Han has Ga On stay at his place. Of course he might be doing it since he worries about him, but I think he did it since he wanted Ga On to look for the answers and find them himself. That's why he actually told him to not look around. That's how he actually made Ga On to look around, since he felt that Yo Han certainly has things to hide in this house. Yo Han at the same time knew that Ga On has been digging up about him. 

Now my question is, if the girl on the wheelchair is Isaac's daughter, and Ga On his son, how come the girl is living with Yo Han and Ga On lived in a rather difficult conditions. Does that mean Ga On is also an illegitimate child about whom not many knew about and Yo Han discovered? Maybe he got lost during the fire at church and everyone thought he died, but that wouldn't really be the case since he was the son of a big guy. Also, the fire took place 10 years ago, and Ga On would be old enough to remember about it, so I don't really think he got lost during the fire.

What I think right now (may change later of course), is that Ga On could be Isaac's illegitimate child who Yo Han discovered recently (not that recently though). 

Another thing @agenth Chingu, @partyon Noona and I had agreed (and many others had mentioned it here too) was the fact that Sun A was poor during her childhood and it was revealed to be true. We three believe that she is the girl who sat beside Yo Han in the class and seeing them revealing she was poor indeed, this could also be true. They surely know each other and that too for a long time. 

Also, Jin Joo does look to have been poor seeing her comments to the new judge about how the powerless show remorse and it is not something the powerful does. I am looking forward to knew her background story too and the reason why Yo Han chose her as his associate Judge. He chose Ga On for a reason, he must have done the same for Jin Joo.

Yo Han could be against this system, but he surely has got his own agenda and revenge to take. He is going after Minister of Justice, but I feel like everyone involved here even the President are on his revenge list. Overall I enjoyed this episode, look forward to the tomorrow's one. 

• Like 6
    • Love 1

Ji Sung And GOT7’s Jinyoung Have A Frosty Encounter In “The Devil Judge”

93ff2b4ec1704f0cb0cb77aab96fb0ec.jpeg?s=

Jul 11, 2021
    by S. P

tvN’s “The Devil Judge” has released new stills of Ji Sung and GOT7’s Jinyoung ahead of tonight’s episode!

“The Devil Judge” is a drama set in an alternate-universe, dystopian version of Korea where the entire nation participates in a trial through a live broadcast courtroom show. Ji Sung stars as Kang Yo Han, a head judge with mysterious intentions: is he a hero of the people in a world filled with chaos, or is he a devil who wears the mask of the law?

Spoilers

In the new stills, Kang Yo Han is seated in his study when the associate judge Kim Ga On (Jinyoung) approaches him. The result is a frigid air of confrontation. Being forced to stay in the same house due to an accidental explosion, the fact that Kim Ga On set foot into Kang Yo Han’s personal space sparks a sense of nervous tension.

Ji-Sung-Jinyoung2.jpg

In a shocking turn of events, what starts as a cold confrontation ends with Kang Yo Han’s hand around Kim Ga On’s neck. Except for when he uses emotions to control people, Kang Yo Han usually remains calm and keeps his composure. Thus, his sudden use of violence is even more surprising.

Ji-Sung-Jinyoung-1.jpg

It remains to be seen what the two men could have been discussing during their private meeting. While staying at Kang Yo Han’s house, Kim Ga On came to realize that Kang Yo Han had no choice but to live as a monster, on top of growing suspicious that he might have killed his brother. Could it be possible that Kim Ga On provoked Kang Yo Han while searching for his hidden intentions?

In addition, the fact that Kang Yo Han let Kim Ga On into his boundary and is protecting him is also atypical. Viewers are curious if he chose to take him in because he resembles his dead brother or if he has some sort of insidious plan up his sleeve.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1478625wpp/ji-sung-and-got7s-jinyoung-have-a-frosty-encounter-in-the-devil-judge

• Like 2
    • Awesome 1
    • Blob 3