[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

8 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

Is it possible that this scene happened after the coup?

The Prince was overseas at the time LR rebelled.

I believe the ring he retrieved from the remains of LR’s doppelgänger held some sort of significance, which would explain why LR would confront him upon his imperious return to RoC.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Alice Wonderland said:

I see other dramas aside from TKEM have tons of it. But let's see on the brightside. They get lots of it means more profit for them. And I don't feel it that bad. He DID good for those PPL's scenes imo. I mean, that chicken even so tastier in each episodes. Lol. Dunno what others think but here actress/actor who gets lots of cfs, ads, ppl or whatever you name it, means that they're popular enough and quite iconic for those who trust their product to sell for good. I know sometimes they might overdo it but in TKEM I don't feel that too much. Well about knets scorns and critics are just too much sometimes. I also hear the same comments of too many ads in many dramas before. So it's not that surprising anymore. I prefer to just pass it or laugh at it. No one can escape from negative comments. The more popular or successful someone, the more they got critics, whether it's positive or negative. It also applies to the drama. So imo we don't need to be provoked by it. :)

Same with me my friend.

Even I will admit as a guilty pleasure. I really love those chicken scenes. Looks so yummy.

:sweat_smile:

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

1 minute ago, mamabear said:

There is this spoiler vid that I saw on IG

Reveal hidden contents

ES took the bullet that was intended for LG. At first, I thought it was JY coz he looks like JY. LOL

Right after where we left off on Episode 9, it seems like there would be some sort of an encounter between LG and his guards against LR and his men. I am one with all of you in hoping the ES was wearing vests. Do not let him die :(

I think I remember that spoiler being discussed on here :D but i also don’t think ES will be killed. But foreshadowing was obvious in this episode: “wear a vest to protect the king with your life, i need to wear three of these...” I hope it is all misdirections for us only. And btw, I also feel we may actually get another kiss tomorrow during the tight hug scene ;) oh. I am also hoping JTE doesn’t become another Ji Eun Tak (JET). Omo. Wait! Look at the name. It’s just two letters switched around in initials. Coincidence? Or on purpose? :crazy:

9 minutes ago, Jad068 said:

Same. While I was watching this episode, a toddler is speaking to me in gibberish and another is combing my hair and giving me kisses with youtube kids nursery rhyme videos blasting in the background.

but back to the plot, what does may 27 2022 mean? Does this mean we will be watching them upto that date storyline. Will their be a timejump?

i know how you feel! Didn’t it feel like we were in a time loop ourselves? lol. May 27, 2022 is two years into the future on JTE’s birthday. Seeing this, we now know the future exists. Question is: Why are we seeing it? :sweatingbullets:

——

Man, it’s so hard to backtrack and reply on my phone at the same time :joy: multitasking at its finest LOL!!

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

2 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

And btw, I also feel we may actually get another kiss tomorrow during the tight hug scene ;) oh. I am also hoping JTE doesn’t become another Ji Eun Tak (JET). Omo. Wait! Look at the name. It’s just two letters switched around in initials. Coincidence? Or on purpose?

I'm really crossing my fingers for that not to happen :bawling: It would be really tragic. 
A kiss would be really nice to be added to that very emotional scene. If there would be none, that tight and passionate hug is more than enough hoho. :joy:

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

On 5/10/2020 at 1:12 AM, Heretorant said:

Aside from the funny cheesy PPLs. But hey, they’ve gotta make money one way or another and I’m here to support them. If it means I get to watch this fantastic show, I don’t mind seeing a few per episode hehehe. 

Tbh I am not naive and I understand the need of PPL since they generate revenue and thus better production qualities for us but this is the first series that I am actually having problem, they are not at all subtle and writer/director should try to incorporate them in the storyline properly. I mean they even talk about the product when they could just show the name of the product. As it is we get very few romantic scenes and even in those scenes half of them are PPL?! :o also I feel they are under-utilizing kge-lmh acting abilities on the romance front. 

On 5/10/2020 at 3:24 AM, mrsj3n said:

Regarding LG's doppelganger's mum.

I believe time travel is involved to bring her back to life as in, they go back in time to stop her from completely dying but leave her with scars to remember.

She was also the one who threw the rag at LR and asked who is he and why didn't he age.

If only we know why did LR keep her alive?

Could it be he secretly love the late queen?

Else why did he let her doll up and wear nice clothes? I mean.. look at her manicure.

I don't even do such pretty nails! Lol

As for the day centre, if I remembered correctly,  he told his minions to give the bags of money to the owner of the care centre for "electricity bills"?

Not sure if there's any issues on the subtitles.

So maybe he isn't the owner directly because he can't use the name of his doppelganger.

Regarding JTE confession. 

I don't find it abrupt but I was actually hoping for her to walking up to LG and telling it in his face and then hug or give him a peck to seal the deal. LOL.

And yet the subtitles showed "ditto", I find it pretty funny. Lol

Edit to add on:

SJ can't be LG's half brother.

SJ grew up mostly in ROK so I'm not surprised when he called LG by his name to confirm his identity.

He's a policeman of ROK. He didn't grow up in KOC hence I can understand why he wasn't in awe of our King. Lol

Edit to add on some more (geez.. the page keeps on adding as I was typing my post.. i can't keep up. Lol)

@koreaboooo based on subtitles, evil roommate claimed the dead roommate heard what's on the 2G phone.

Not sure what is so secretive that she can't play it off by bluffing but she needs to kill her instead.

That girl is a psycho. Period.

1. I was the one who was wondering about who threw the rag and I agree that she was just not allowed to complete her suicide process and even I was thinking about possibility of Lee lim being in love with late queen and I am also curious they didn't show her face in KOC.

2. Regarding subtitles- they are not always right. He said me too. 

this is unrelated to king but I was researching Cheese in the trap (bcoz I wass missing KGE:P)  and Netflix translated oppa as 'cutie pie':mellow: 

3. Even I was not surprised he called LG by his name since he was a child when he was brought to ROC and he doesn't exactly consider himself citizen of ROC.

4. I was thinking about face mask murder case and there is more to it than roommate killing her. Why? Bcoz when they show another murder case of chaebol son they show that Lee Lim's assistant first gives the fatal wound then drops that knife towards doppelganger indicating that he should complete the process. Why would they show that to us? When police were investigating face mask girl they said the first wound itself was fatal then there was second wound. Why did they make it a point to tell us?!:sweatingbullets: may be I am thinking too much.

On 5/10/2020 at 7:03 AM, koreaboooo said:

As long as LMH doesn't disappear altogether from the drama like what PD's did with PHJ in Cheese in the Trap, then I'm okay with it.

this week I was rewatching CITP and am still pissed that they did that with the story...otherwise that series would have been perfect .:tears:

• Like 5

Episode 9 -

First off - thanks again to all of you on this forum - I've made my peace with the fact that I will never be able to keep up with the relentless pace of this forums postings, but thank you again none the less - your insight, speculations, hilarious memes/gifs, as well as all the BTS videos and pic have, and will continue to make this a wonderful journey (...and it really helps during those week long waits for new eps) :lol:

- LG & JTE at the start  .... "you can ask me any question except that one" ..... "and that one too"   I love that these two work so well not just romantically but comedically as well - it just makes them so much more endearing.

- SJ, I'm torn on this one. On the one hand I'm getting a noble tragedy vibe, like he'll die as a broken hero. On the other hand though, the doctor seems sincere in her desire to help him so theres also a healing after a great deal of suffering vibe .... either way I love his story so far.

- I know alot of you are pouring over the ending between LG & LL, and while it was a great scene, I gotta say I think the scene of them on the phone was even better - when the proxies are put aside and these two go at each other ... THAT will be truly EPIC!

- Was always suspicious of the PM and now we know .... shes sleez - Which made the exchange with LG all the more enjoyable - Can hardly wait for JTE to put her in her place.

- Date by the water - Loved the "I'm here" coat drop - and loved how JTE & LG are opening up to each other more easily now - When she hugs him suddenly and admits shes only pretending to be okay, I got a heart-wrenching foreboding of how bad its going to be when they get separated for real in the near future.

- JY & ES - Woo Do Hwan is just exceptional, and these two characters just keep getting better and better.  I was surprised to hear that Na Ri doesn't like ES new look (JY in disguise) So perhaps if ES survives in Corea, he'll be able to come back to her - conversely JY & SA should get together in Corea ... JY was thinking of SA when he was asking ES about Na Ri, so it seems he at least recognizes SA as pretty.  Just plz plz plz writer-nim DO NOT KILL EITHER ONE

- Oh, and was there ever really any doubt that ES was going to be able to unlock the laptop :lol:

- Deity of Fate - You guys have covered just about every angle on this topic but I'd like to add one small part that I haven't seen discussed - while the bookstore still hasn't been found, at some point it will, and after the episode we just saw you know the memory and the date are engraved in LGs mind. We're all dreading a future separation, and I think memory of this clip is going to lead LG back to JTE in the future ... he now knows where shes going to be, and when.

- Traitor Li Lim okay it was EPIC ..... phone conversation was still better :phew:

- Episode 10 previews -  Sorry, ES can't die. Nope, not having it....btw he's getting his Corea citizenship for taking a bullet, wait and see.  We're getting more Luna! That full gallop ride up on JTE is gonna be glorious to watch .... and did you see it? He said Queen :D That gives us 6 episodes to work out the details ... I told you ... we're getting a Royal wedding out of this! :wub:

Hang in there guys ep 10 is just a few hours away :blush:

LCO

• Like 5
  • Love 5

34 minutes ago, Phoenix Klaw said:

Can anyone explain why the videos are in JY's computer? How did they get there? Who uploaded them?

LG asked JY to track JTE's movements when she was in Corea.  

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

- Traitor Li Lim okay it was EPIC ..... phone conversation was still better :phew:

I agree. Everything about that scene is perfect. LMH's stern voice, it's as if he is spitting the words out of his mouth, you can feel his rage thru his eyes, the twitching of his chin, as if he is gritting his teeth out of anger. You can really feel it. He sounded scary. That was one really good scene right there.

Edited:

I would just like to also add the funny scene in the locker. The transition of ES's voice to JY's voice was smooth. I didn't know WDW can be this funny. 

• Like 9

Just now, mamabear said:

I agree. Everything about that scene is perfect. LMH's stern voice, it's as if he is spitting the words out of his mouth, you can feel his rage thru his eyes, the twitching of his chin, as if he is gritting his teeth out of anger. You can really feel it. He sounded scary. That was one really good scene right there.

Indeed - and the music was just perfect in both scenes - the OST is nothing short of awesome!

• Like 3

My goodness... it takes me forever to catch up yesterday so I gave up. Watched episode 9 and went to sleep and now.. finally all caught up!!

What a feat.

I have to remind myself to check in as often as I can else the price to pay is too steep. :sweat_smile:

I saw some interesting comments and tried hard to keep up.. at some point.. i really give up quoting. So forgive me if i didn't quote you but commented anyway.

And sorry for the long post as I didn't want to post consecutively and get yellow carded by mods! Lol

@Yippeun_eonnie

First of all, thanks for the live recap summary! 
I caught up the thread too slow and by then.. I'm already watching it on netflix. LOL

Back to your question about SJ. Not sure if anyone replied, here's my thought:

I don't think that he lost his memory.

It's more like a shock that there is someone of his same mother's face and he suddenly has a father, a new name and a fancy house.

It might come as a shock or denial hence the confusion and suspect mental self block aka suppression of memories when there's trauma and recurring nightmare when he grows up due to conflicting memories.

And to some who think he might help LR, nope.

I don't think SJ will break JTE's heart. He who has refrain from taking bribe from the gangster boss at his nightclub even till the gangster boss exclaimed why can't he just take his money! 

Nope. I believe our hyung-nim will not betray JTE and us.

Him, I believe! 

tenor.gif

And no. I'm not suspicious of the lady doctor either.

A proper doctor would have proper diagnosed before prescribing medications.

In their previous meet up, she was drinking alcohol and now SJ is just asking for medications, so even I would have think that I must have look like a quack to him. LOL

17 hours ago, Heretorant said:

People were wondering: what’s up with the 2g phones?

LOL!!!

But on a serious note. It has been on my mind actually.

Why the 2G phones? Is it because it's a burner phone?

But I remembered LR's minion said about cancelling the subscription so I really wonder why 2G phone is given out. 

Or maybe, it is just cheaper that way... :joy:

17 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

@Heretorant he king he can buy a new one :joy:

*whisper* but that is not his own.... LOL

He even need JTE to get him a phone and didn't offer to pay so that she doesn't need to pay in Instalments! What a stingy boyfriend! Hahaha

15 hours ago, Deepakmahajan said:

Hey guys. Miss all the posts here but life has taken a big turn. I am suffering from crona. 

Big virtual hugs and speedy recovery to you!

Some also commented about JY not recognizing LR from the pictures he took from MSA and the videos he had on his laptop.

I would think that after LR died, there is no imminent threat to LG anymore to remember the face of the traitor who had died.

Besides, who would have thought that after 25 years, he would have look the same?

I'm sure all of us will be looking for someone older and missed that details. Furthermore,  it's through pictures. Not face to face, so it is almost impossible to pick up the familiar face out of so many.

And again, I believe JY and he is not gonna break LG's and our heart but betraying us.

Him, I vouch!

giphy.gif

so I think that's what I wanna say for what I've missed so far.

Alright. Now back to episode 9:

What an episode huh?? 

What I don't like but I'm just nitpicking. But do let me vent out without trashing me yah :sweatingbullets::

1) The starting. What's sup with starting the drama like this? I have to pause and rethink what was the ending of episode 8! 

2) The abrupt screen change on some occasions. I'm a little disturbed with the flow of the episode 9 this time. Maybe I was having a bad day yesterday. LOL

3) LG holding JTE's hands and touching her hair AFTER picking up a piece of drumstick to bite. Like ewwwww? I was moved at first and then I went ewww internally when he touched her hair with that oily hands. LOL

4) Time in the drama. I'm not even sure if it's November or December and suddenly it's year 2020! Lol

How I feel overall?

AWESOME!

The emotions, the feels. 

Everything is just awesome.

1) LTE's road trip and the conversation they had. But I'm disappointed that LG did not want to explain to JTE about the flute. 

2) LTE's night date. Can I say that when JTE cries, we all cry too? All the right feels, girl!

3) Thank you JTE for sharing the picture of Lee Sang Do to our King. But hello???? You have more... that psycho girl who killed roommate???

4) LG on the phone with LR. I'm glad there's no "Hello, is it you?". It's straight to the point and now LG is able to determine LR's location. That is really awesome.

5) LG watching the video playback of JTE.. that look of adore. That tenderness. OMG.

6) JTE missing LG too.

7) Their conversation by the window and the kisses. PERFECTO! But it's also bittersweet that I feel my heart is aching as well.

8) The direct rejection of LG to lady PM. I hope she will back off for now. Please. I don't want to hate her!

9) THAT BOY!!!!!

10) ES and JY. Both awesome! I like how JY took up driving test.  The way he passed is just how my live streaming was yesterday. Blink blink and next scene. Lol

11) The ending. Who can forget that intense and serious look of The King?

1 word :

2055f8fc-3ae9-4133-b74e-243a71bb64e2.gif

With regards to the preview:

1) I believe ES is wearing the bulletproof vest.

It could have hurt him and we know how fainty our dear ES is right? 

2) High chance JTE is waiting for LG at ROK but how would she knows when he will be back? Hmmm...

3) Sometimes I think the dialogues from the preview doesn't link to the scene that we are watching. So I can't wait for episode 10!

And please.. May the live streaming be ok for me tonight!!!

• Like 6
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1

19 minutes ago, mamabear said:

ah.

38 minutes ago, Umjicheok said:
On 5/10/2020 at 5:54 AM, mrsj3n said:

Regarding LG's doppelganger's mum.

I believe time travel is involved to bring her back to life as in, they go back in time to stop her from completely dying but leave her with scars to remember.

She was also the one who threw the rag at LR and asked who is he and why didn't he age.

If only we know why did LR keep her alive?

Could it be he secretly love the late queen?

Previously I mentioned that possibility. What intrigued me was when he told her in that guarded house "You have to eat dinner by yourself. Or you could eat out."   My reaction was - so they dine together? Are they a couple?

Plus she seems to be "well kept" (for lack of a better term) when it comes to her clothes, appearances, chauffeured, etc...

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Okay guys - is it Li Lim or Li Rim?

Even I have swapped it a time or two - which is correct? :unsure:

LCO

Think should be Lee Lim.

But I'm sticking to Lee Rim cause it's stuck on my head now. Lol :phew:

@mychoiyoung

That is one mystery we hope that it will be revealed soon.

However for a well kept woman, she can't even wind down the window to smoke or command the driver to let her smoke.. I'm thinking she is a well kept prisoner by her heartless "admirer".

Btw, not sure about you guys... but I thought the late king (LG's dad) and LR has such an uncanny resemblance of each other!

Totally in awe of that!

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

9 hours ago, moziamo said:

Dumb question, if Lee Rim has been traveling between both worlds for so long and the entrance is in the forest how come he’s been undetected if there is Royal security checkpoints and surveillance around the forest?

Because there is another gate and it is in the city. Notice that his minion always picks him up with his car.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, bebebisous33 said:

Because there is another gate and it is in the city. Notice that his minion always picks him up with his car.

But they didn't show where did he pop out from!

I'm anxious to know where's the other gateway!!!!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:
9 hours ago, moziamo said:

Dumb question, if Lee Rim has been traveling between both worlds for so long and the entrance is in the forest how come he’s been undetected if there is Royal security checkpoints and surveillance around the forest?

YUP.  Check out the intro vid.  You will see it right before they show the portal in the forest

• Like 3