[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

1 hour ago, Heretorant said:

Thank you! 

EVERYTHING. YOU. SAID.

I also appreciate and praise the cast and crew for taking on this challenge. It’s one of the first of its kind and they all knew it might not be well accepted but they liked the script and believed in the story.

I just had to point out, too, that many people criticized lmh for taking on his drama before it aired. They said he is, yet again, going for a typical cliche romantic story where he woos the girl and because of his money, eventually wins her over by episode 12. But that’s not at all true! This drama is anything but typical! And you know what? I praise him because he could have taken on a simple romantic comedy and easily made a hit. Instead, he was up for the challenge and accepted The King. 

To put our minds at ease, the cast knew what they were in for and are probably okay. I believe they were prepared for this drama to go one way or another. Watch what they had to say about The King at the end of the presscon. It’s clear to me they saw the risk and took it anyway. And I’m sure they can sense the love from Netflix, Wavve and international audience. They remain number 1 on Wavve which has over 10 million? South Korean subscribers and top 10 on Netflix all over the world, including South Korea. And their Instagram followers have been growing. Enough said? I think they can sense the love! :D 

sorry dear for cutting your post.

As per this article LMH himself said has was confused when he read the script for the first time and KGE also told it's a drama with complex storyline and romance at this video (@2:37). so i do think they took the risk and challenge themselves with this drama.

https://www.koreaboo.com/stories/lee-min-ho-viewers-new-drama-confusing-king/

i really hope the cast and production team are aware how much international fans love and support this drama

• Like 10
  • Love 8

So, the video that LG sees on the computer with the kid with the yoyo, is that from the future? 2022? Also, are we going to have a situation where Jo Young falls in love with Earth's Nari and Eun-Sup falls in love Corea's Seung-Ah?

• Like 5
  • Love 2

I did it!! On my 8th try, i finally watched the whole episode!! I felt like I was in a time loop myself :joy:

——

wow! I love the ending! I love the anger expressed through LG’s eyes as he called out “Traitor, Lee Lim!” Amazing!!! 

When I watched LG smiled through the computer screen upon seeing JTE, i felt so “awwww” and then:

tenor.gif

literally ME when that boy looked up, straight at me! See that bear! That’s what the boy did to me! :joy:

• Like 5
  • LOL 10

2 hours ago, mamabear said:

I wonder if this has significance. Why of all dates, why does the date of the video have to be the same day as JTE's birthday right? 

@syntyche that gave me goosebumps. I hope this won't lead to something tragic :bawling:

Must have some significant.. Otherwise why of all days it is 27 May

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Chellsee said:

This part from Ep 9 made me laugh so hard.

I cant remember how many times I repeatedly watch it. :lol::D

i am totally with you on this one! ES! Omg, this guy made me laugh throughout the whole episode! :joy: I laughed so much on the scene where we see a confused ES holding the red balloon as LG gave orders. Only this guy would literally take the balloon! :joy: he was trying so hard but his personality couldn’t hide too long! 

edit:

@kboramint yes, what we saw was a glimpse into the future. What we don’t know is why. I hope we do see a love line between the couples you mentioned. But better start it now than much later because it’s already past halfway point now. If the arc starts too late, it may just drag the other arcs we already have. 

——-

I know that some of us came up with the theory that the boy may be a grim reaper but did we theorize if he is Death instead? 

To me, both are two different deity. And Death is more powerful than a GR. I suddenly had this thought: if the boy is Death, then is he here to fix the balance that LR threw off by killing the doppelgängers? What if it wasn’t time for the doppelgängers to die but LR killed them anyways, paving way for the disruption of a person’s time to die. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

What a great episode it was! :) I found it intense, funny, and scary. :D In today's episode, LMH showed his oustanding acting skills and I loved the last 20 minutes the most. His intense and angry expressions were sooooo good. The part where the boy looks at Lee Gon was so cool. I love the opening of this episode too. The scenery and the lines were so sweet. Looking forward to episode 10. :)

By the way, cheer up everyone! Many K-netizens are praising LMH's acting and say how crazy and good it was. I dropped worrying about ratings. The King is number on Korean Netflix which means Korean viewers watch and follow this drama. We are also number 1 in many countries. Like how we know these stats, the cast and crew also know. There is no way we only know that this drama has been successful both locally (Number 1 on Korean netflix) and internationally (Number 1 in many countries and followers of the cast is increasing). I am sure they know all these stats too. :D

LMH posts pics on his IG more compared to before his military service. You can follow him and see he is doing ok. :) KGE is also very cheerful. I like how she posts pictures on her IG before the episode airs. The cast are so strong and united. LMH recently thanked his fans for celebrating his 14th debut anniversary. He also shared a poem which was so meaningful and told his fans to be strong. One part of the poem--> "Silence makes you stronger". :glasses:

• Like 10
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

For me, as a fan of LMH, i watched the heirs, city hunter and Legend of the blue sea all were great but to me, TKEM is most outstanding drama I’ve ever seen from all the dramas he did. All his drama were solid great but this daebak. It’s like PSJ’s itaewon class and KTH’s hi bye mama For me, Those dramas were the most amazing drama they’ve ever did because it gave meaning to life. they broke the typical kdrama i got tired of watching that only focus on cliché lovers and repetitive push and pull relationships. Sorry for my bad english :D:D:blush:

• Like 12
  • Love 4

16 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

To me, both are two different deity. And Death is more powerful than a GR. I suddenly had this thought: if the boy is Death, then is he here to fix the balance that LR threw off by killing the doppelgängers? What if it wasn’t time for the doppelgängers to die but LR killed them anyways, paving way for the disruption of a person’s time to die. 

I really hope not. If that boy is death, since we saw JTE with the boy in the video, then that would mean she is meant to die? Imagine KGE  having somewhat the same character as Ji Eun Tak in Goblin  (where she was hunted by the grim reaper). I believe KES won't go to that very same route that she did in Goblin. Poor KGE if that happens.

@nikki7 Why do I feel like we will get another kiss from our couple tonight? Haha though I don't want to expect anymore, so I guess we won't. LOL 

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

8 hours ago, briseis said:

Jo Yeong’s password :phew::

@briseis Jo Yeong's password is essentially his name in binary code haha

---------------------------------------------------------------

5 hours ago, Hikki said:

*prayer circle*

@Hikki I hope he does wear 3 vests too...EK MAYBE THATS WHY JTE IS CRYING IN THE PREVIEW??? Bc in the preview, you can hear her saying " is there something going on that I dont know about?".  Also, I didn't see ES with LG riding up from the gate.......so maybe ES didn't survive after all  :bawling:? Plus ES did say,  "Winter is Coming" (references a common quote from Game of Thrones where it means that bad things are about to happen) :frown:. Also with the stickers on JY's laptop, who's that girl on the top left corner with the label "best" ??????

---------------------------------------------------------------

4 hours ago, koreaboooo said:

Personally never looked at ratings since I know I like what I like. I'm a rather picky person.  :sweat_smile:

Low viewership won't change my mind, but I have seen enough posts and reviews that show up on my feed to know of its low ratings on SBS. It would be nice if it has high viewership as it might effect the actors/actresses, but I think our main stars have enough backings and previous works to them to showcase their acting prestige. This drama won't hurt them too much even if it doesn't get too popular. 

@SweetButters I like your view on fate and destiny. I wonder if for LG, it's more of the fact he wants to fight fate for the happier ending. JTE accepts that their love will be short-lived and she just decides to live in the moment and accept that. That fits with her personality, she just goes with the flow with a lot of stuff. Many of her cases gets solved by her just thinking as she's doing things. LG is definitely someone who seems to plan ahead. He's a King so that makes sense, but if he looks ahead, he'll keep thinking of the ending so he's living in the moment with JTE and enjoying that but he'll always think it will end and he doesn't want that so he's got to prevent that from happening. But the real question is what is their fate? Who is actually the one fated to die earlier? 

As Always KES is the goddess here so maybe she already have a happier fate planned for them and they're heading towards that. They just don't know it yet. ^_^

@koreaboooo oh if you go and re-read that post, I defined what I thought was both JTE and LG's fate and how in LG's destiny becomes changing JTE's fate! My best guess is that JTE is fated to die before LG since changing the past or whatever become his destiny ! Yea I'm sooooooo hoping KES will give us a happy ending, but sometimes her drama endings can be sad or bittersweet ekkkkkkk. HAHA yea eternal together as sea dragons or eternal together in that in between spot aka "Eternal Monarchs"

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

2 hours ago, CarolynH said:

I really enjoyed ep 9. What did I like?

• LMH's voice was UNREAL when he yelled "Lee Lim".  I've never heard his voice like that in all his dramas.  :o
  • I thought ES as JY was a hoot!  It's so easy to tell something is a little off.  Yeah, and what's with the stickers on JY's computer?  It seems out of character for him

Does anyone else think cafe girl is more interesting than camera girl?  I like JY better with cafe girl.

Is it odd that the King would be in a crowd of people without any bodyguards (at least I didn't see any)?  I know Lee Gon has a history of taking off to parts unknown, but didn't think he roamed around Corea alone.  

my take is that he went out when Time froze. So the guards didn’t follow him. Or he could have simply ordered them to not follow him. But the first one is my hunch ;)

1 hour ago, Alice Wonderland said:

I see other dramas aside from TKEM have tons of it. But let's see on the brightside. They get lots of it means more profit for them. And I don't feel it that bad. He DID good for those PPL's scenes imo. I mean, that chicken even so tastier in each episodes. Lol. Dunno what others think but here actress/actor who gets lots of cfs, ads, ppl or whatever you name it, means that they're popular enough and quite iconic for those who trust their product to sell for good. I know sometimes they might overdo it but in TKEM I don't feel that too much. Well about knets scorns and critics are just too much sometimes. I also hear the same comments of too many ads in many dramas before. So it's not that surprising anymore. I prefer to just pass it or laugh at it. No one can escape from negative comments. The more popular or successful someone, the more they got critics, whether it's positive or negative. It also applies to the drama. So imo we don't need to be provoked by it. :)

you mean to tell me that he only took one bite of that chicken because it was PPL?! Dang. I wanted to eat the whole thing :joy:

2 hours ago, LRM11219311 said:

What’s happening to TKEM also what happened to Arthdal Chronicles. They have both excellent story but Knetz don’t understand the drama or appreciate the stories behind it. Idc about the ratings becoz netflix is more widespread in the world now. 

exactly! I loved AC. Its writing was so majestic and fairytale like. The characters flushed in their own way, and the storyline was just beautifully acted out. But k-viewers didn’t like it. The drama received bad criticism and ratings. And now, I am still waiting to see if we would ever get season 2 :(

2 hours ago, mamabear said:

Based on Episode 10 preview, it seems like LR and Luna's gonna meet each other? The one who said 'You're still alive?' must be Luna right? 

This is kinda scary. I am hoping Luna is not totally a bad person. I also hope ES won't die. Please don't writer-nim :bawling:

or the question can be towards ES who we saw got shot. Perhaps, LR ordered the kill. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, vangsweetie637 said:

We all know in order to not miss any details, we have to watch carefully. 

Me: I have been trying to finish the episode for the 7th time. 

But kids are making too much noise, fighting over whose play dough belongs to who and who makes the better baby shark.

At this rate, will I even be able to finish the episode at all?

Same. While I was watching this episode, a toddler is speaking to me in gibberish and another is combing my hair and giving me kisses with youtube kids nursery rhyme videos blasting in the background.

but back to the plot, what does may 27 2022 mean? Does this mean we will be watching them upto that date storyline. Will their be a timejump?

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 1
  • LOL 7

4 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

or the question can be towards ES who we saw got shot. Perhaps, LR ordered the kill. 

There is this spoiler vid that I saw on IG

Spoiler

ES took the bullet that was intended for LG. At first, I thought it was JY coz he looks like JY. LOL

Right after where we left off on Episode 9, it seems like there would be some sort of an encounter between LG and his guards against LR and his men. I am one with all of you in hoping the ES was wearing vests. Do not let him die :(

• Like 5
  • Love 2