[Drama 2018] What is Wrong with Secretary Kim, 김비서가 왜 그럴까

0ly40

2 minutes ago, attriste said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It was the lesser trauma to bear, to rewrite the crime as his brother’s rather than admit that he left his brother behind. I know he is pitiful, but when youngjoon came back to the home after his rehab and recovery in hospital, and Sung-yeon just took over his room and jumped on YJ for making him suffer the kidnapping... just got me reallllllly riled.

And the poor parents’ trauma of having one son with real nightmares and the other with imagined nightmares, one could almost understand why they let the charade go on— they thought it would be traumatic to let YJ “remember” everything all over again. Sigh. 

Im just really excited to see how PSJ does the emotional scenes, since I’ve not had any experience watching him as an actor. Also looking forward to him saying out the *cough* very not pg15 remarks to MiSo once the romance and chase is well underway heheheh. For PMY I’ve seen snippets of her in 7DQ and heard of her acting melo chops, so fully expecting a great performance. I’m feeling really happy with the acting matching up to the script. 

I know right?? The first fight scene between the brothers really showcased how good Park Seo-joon is at emotional scenes, so much so that I actually felt like Lee Tae-hwan fell a bit short lol. But so looking forward to EVERYTHING seriously lol post-confession Lee Young-joon is insanely swoony swoons. Park Min-young I have absolute confidence in! Ever since SSKS she’s been an amazing female lead for like, everything. Pulls off comedy and emotional scenes equally well and she’s SO pretty too gawsh

• Like 7

@theonlyone88 Thanks for the info!! Well, YJ might have kept all this to himself for all these years but there is one fact that SY can not change: the wounds. I guess, he has these on both ankles. YJ's wounds on the ankles are the proof that he was the real victim. SY has nothing and I hope, KMS makes him realize that!!

When I read your info, I was upset because SY keeps saying that YJ is favored, while in reality it is the exact opposite. The parents burdened YJ a lot of "responsability", while SY got scot-free with his terrible action. 

• Like 14

You have no idea how excited I am now after reading your posts about the webtoon. 

Spoiler

So it's official: the brother is a wacko and the parents are crazy. Poor LYJ. He had to deal with so many things on his own. No surprise that LSY is a bestseller author if he lives all his life in a fantasy world. 

It's really ironic that KMS wants to leave LYJ and search for the guy that she knew in the past only to find out that he was under her nose for 9 years :lol:

I wonder if we get to see scenes from 40,48 and 50 webtoon chapters (korean version) in the drama. That would be amazing :love:

Thank you theonlyone88 and dojoed for the backstory and info about webtoon. 

Edited by averia
  • Like 7

18 minutes ago, dojoed said:

I know right?? The first fight scene between the brothers really showcased how good Park Seo-joon is at emotional scenes, so much so that I actually felt like Lee Tae-hwan fell a bit short lol. But so looking forward to EVERYTHING seriously lol post-confession Lee Young-joon is insanely swoony swoons. Park Min-young I have absolute confidence in! Ever since SSKS she’s been an amazing female lead for like, everything. Pulls off comedy and emotional scenes equally well and she’s SO pretty too gawsh

At this rate I’ll squee all day with you and have no life, swoony swoons is about the right adjective hehehe. 

Spoiler

Gosh when he said “my soul was sucked out of me” as a sweeeeeet compliment to her after uh seeing her nekkid during their actual actual night together.... I nearly died hahahahaha. And when she cried halfway during it cos she felt so sad she didn’t remember him... aiyo.

All I can say is I feel it’ll be hard for TvN to cut out that scene, cos there is so much emotional load there. But I know they’ll have to modify it :( 

Spoiler question for those who’ve read:

Spoiler

You know when he tries to kiss MiSo in the office chair and then pushes her chair to face the wall in fear? I’m not clear whether it was his trauma of women cos based on my understanding of the Chinese one, he explained in another chapter that he doesn’t know when the nightmare flashbacks will come whenever he closes his eyes, so it felt like more because he closed his eyes, instead of because he had a trauma with women?

Anyway I remember the scene being funny in the end, not so traumatic cos MiSo was just so confused by his push-pull and she had alr been falling slowly for him hehehe. And in the end their first kiss was healing cos he got to sleep well after that.. while she had to explain her swollen lips lo lolol. What is with male kdrama leads and sleeping well after finding their woman? Teehee.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 3

14 minutes ago, averia said:

You have no idea how excited I am now after reading your posts about the webtoon. 

Reveal hidden contents

So it's official: the brother is a wacko and the parents are crazy. Poor LYJ. He had to deal with so many things on his own. No surprise that LSY is a bestseller author if he lives all his life in a fantasy world. 

It's really ironic that KMS wants to leave LYJ and search for the guy that she knew in the past only to find out that he was under her nose for 9 years :lol:

I wonder if we get to see scenes from 40,48 and 50 webtoon chapters in the drama. That would be amazing :love:

Thank you theonlyone88 and dojoed for the backstory and info about webtoon. 

No worries! But I wouldn’t 

Spoiler

blame the parents too much. After all, Young-joon only decided to feign amnesia after hearing his parents discuss in tears about the psychiatrist suggesting that Sung-yeon be sent to a mental hospital for treatment if his condition didn’t pick up. They were really put between a rock and a hard place there, and I can understand why they would just gratefully accept Young-joon’s excuse. They did feel very sorry towards him though, their mother even asked Sung-yeon to stop in one of the later chapters when he had a fit of self-pity again. And they love Mi-so! That’s a total plus 

12 minutes ago, attriste said:

At this rate I’ll squee all day with you and have no life, swoony swoons is about the right adjective hehehe. 

Reveal hidden contents

Gosh when he said “my soul was sucked out of me” as a sweeeeeet compliment to her after uh seeing her nekkid during their actual actual night together.... I nearly died hahahahaha. And when she cried halfway during it cos she felt so sad she didn’t remember him... aiyo.

All I can say is I feel it’ll be hard for TvN to cut out that scene, cos there is so much emotional load there. But I know they’ll have to modify it :( 

Spoiler question for those who’ve read:

Reveal hidden contents

You know when he tries to kiss MiSo in the office chair and then pushes her to the wall in fear? I’m not clear whether it was his trauma of women cos based on my understanding of the Chinese one, he explained in another chapter that he doesn’t know when the nightmare flashbacks will come whenever he closes his eyes, so it felt like more because he closed his eyes, instead of because he had a trauma with women. 

Anyway I remember the scene being funny in the end, not so traumatic cos MiSo was just so confused by his push-pull and she had alr been falling slowly for him hehehe. And in the end their first kiss was healing cos he got to sleep well after that.. while she had to explain her swollen lips lo lolol. What is with male kdrama leads and sleeping well after finding their woman? Teehee.

Zoooomg that though. I thought that the webtoon did SUCH a great job in 

Spoiler

depicting their first night together. It was really tender and in character for the both of them awwww. Also you can tell he’s so happy to finally be with her and it’s all just amazing and Mi-so is also so satisfied being with him and ahhhhhhhh LOVE IT

As for your question,

Spoiler

do you remember him having to close his eyes to climb to where the woman was hanging from the rafters to get that pair of scissors? I think that’s probably why he hates closing his eyes—brings back all the horrific memories of that day. Also I guess he only can do it in front of Mi-so, seeing how back that it was her voice that gave him strength to pull through anyway! 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

Just finished watching episode 4 with subs. The book passages remind me of BTIOFL in the best way; I loved the poem they featured in that series. And apparently two of the guest actors so far did the show as a favor to the PD, not to mention Young Joon's father is Jung So Min's dad in BTIOFL, and Lee Min Ki sending a food truck for the PD---the PD seems to be well-loved.

I really liked seeing Mi So and Young Joon's work dynamic in the episode; not the over-working part with unreasonable demands of course, but how they work together like a well-oiled machine. At the arts center, they were like such a power couple. I really like how they show Mi So as supremely capable and professional (even more than Young Joon I would say); she gets ish DONE. And I love how she does her negotiations and threats with a smile (first with Ji Ran, then with the shady reporter). She's definitely one of my favorite K-drama leads ever. (I hope the show doesn't ruin her like BTIOFL did with Ji Ho. :()

I said before that I missed the laughs a bit, but it is sweet to see Young Joon coming to terms with his feelings. It's also fun to see how he and Mi So fall back on the familiarity of their work relationship when they stray too far into these newly-realized feelings. Also loved seeing Young Joon's parents again, and how they adore Mi So. I love that they're not the typical drama chaebol parents and that they actually like the female lead from the start.

I'm really happy the show has PSJ and PMY in the lead, actors with both strong comedic and dramatic chops and with sizzling chemistry to boot. I feel like even if the story go awry, their perfomances might be able to see me through to the end.

• Like 12

I am totally into the romance between our couple...anything else with brother and past are salad dressing for me...but the main meal , the verbal exchanges , the actual physical interactions ...awww those are the moments that light up the screen .

I forgot to mention, i love his friend/ president ...his only friend lollll but such an honest and funny one...."you are the childish one"  :tounge_wink:haaha 

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

By the way, thanks to @theonlyone88, it was confirmed what I had suspected in the last episode. However, I wasn't sure because this scene was shown for one second and it was so unclear.

Spoiler

However, if you look carefully, you will be able to see two persons: a boy and a younger child, both with tied hands. Since we saw later a similar scene where there was only one boy, then I wasn't sure.

WIWWMK4.png

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Igotcaughtdancingagain said:

thank you sis @labyrinth525for this additional info.  yeah saw some of the illustrations from the webtoon and I am thrilled just thinking how the drama will render those scenes especially the skinships hihihi.

I activated my viki subscription again bcoz of PMY's drama hehehe....  It was expired already when 7dq finished..... 

18 hours ago, crazyyo said:

I know a lot of people are (I mean all) against his older brother at this point. But tbh I can see where's he coming from. There's obviously a misunderstanding between them where bro thinks YJ did something wrong, and YJ never clarified the situation? Nevertheless he comes back in a happy mood (may be his intentions aren't good) but if we assume that he really came back to reconcile he was treated quite badly lol. They need to be locked in a room lol (like school 2013, someone did mention this above I think)

Also , in the preview both brothers have sleeping issue I mean nightmares, I mean why his brother? Wasn't YJ the only one who got kidnapped?

That's okay... there's really no villain in the drama according to the writer.... 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, dojoed said:

PSJ is one of my most favourite actors because his acting feels natural. He’s just got this natural charisma and aura onscreen. I wasn’t sure about this show when it was announced, he never played a chaebol before and it seemed to me it was quite a downgrade from his previous roles because chaebols are usually boring. However now I really appreciate his character in WSK. I’ve seen him swoony many times before but I didn’t know he could be so hilarious too  :D

So how swoony was his confession? Should I mentally prepared myself? 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

By the way, thanks to @theonlyone88, it was confirmed what I had suspected in the last episode. However, I wasn't sure because this scene was shown for one second and it was so unclear.

Hide contents

However, if you look carefully, you will be able to see two persons: a boy and a younger child, both with tied hands. Since we saw later a similar scene where there was only one boy, then I wasn't sure.

WIWWMK4.png

Long term lurker her but coming out of the shadows for this show. The leads are on fire with their performances even down to the little things (PSJ with his hand gestures and eyes and PMY  with her facial expressions of forbearance and impatience with YJ).

Just read the spoilers detailed above by some great commenters and I am shook! Loved PSJ acting in other roles and I have seen how great he is in acting and if only a fraction of the spoilers ends up on screen, I don't know how I will be able to cope. The angst level is going to go up but I am sure there is going to be beautiful emotional moments between PSJ and PMY as they finally realise (at all levels what truly mean to each other).

The pic above points to a nightmare by YJ and just feel so sad knowing the backstory which really adds to the relationship between the leads now and not merely a lame device that kdramas serve for having a childhood love crap (as much I love the trope it often is a substitute for real chemistry and characterisation). This really adds in the gaps in their personal development in themselves and for each other. Though I love them together, will be interested to see if Mi So will really quit and how this will actually affect their lives. It needs to happen so they see how they are apart and they can grow but also understand their feelings for each other. Though I really need these two together on screen for as much as the drama as possible so I am in two minds about it!

Anyone waiting for Mi So to be scared by spider around YJ and see the reaction by YJ when we know by the spoilers that this was fear was created by him in order to protect her from a greater terror?  I am terrible but I can't wait for the angst. It is such a fluffy show right now that I see people complaining about how light it is which I don't see at all as I can see that there is extra layering going on where on reflection we will see sadness (where YJ introduces himself with ultra confidence and as Mi So sees it narcissism but there will be a flashback where YJ will be happy to some extent Mi So doesn't remember him but also angsty that he remembers their connection and she doesn't and we will see that coloured all their relationship from day one to the present day.

Also, one day (probably when they are ordering flowers for their wedding lets be real) Mi So or probably one of her sisters is going to mention how Mi So has awful allergies to flowers and we are going to get a flashback to Mi So tearing up in YJ's presence and sneezing on him after him giving her flowers and him congratulating himself on his awesomeness at making her cry and then we will snap back to the present day. Imagine his FACE!!!!lol forever!!!!

• Like 7
  • LOL 5

16 minutes ago, MrsSoJiSub said:

The library scene. I love it. So symbolic. So telling. Kim Mi So is CEO Joon's light. She's his person. Without here he wold be lost. She can lead him when he falls into himself (into his dark place, his ego and narcissism) and in turn he is able to learn from her, her support, her presence, her light...allows him to lead her as well. In the words of F.R.I.E.N.D.S "He's her lobster!" (and vice versa). Other than the library, I really enjoyed our couple being a bamf power couple taking care of the art gallery potential mess.

What I really really love about the two's dynamic is the mutual trust and respect of one another's work and abilities. While everyone else was looking panicked lost, CEO immediately looked to secretary Kim knowing she is smart and capable and would rise where others are falling. He trust her and her intelligence and know how so much. It's rare to see this in a drama (most leads question, doubt, and belittle female leads know how in their field of work) and I adore it. When they were walking through the gallery taking note, questioning problems, and Mi So coming up with solutions :wub::wub::wub: I cracked up when CEO pointed out that the man only seems to know how to respond with "Unfortunately" I was just as annoyed and silently eye rolling and questioning the man's competence as much as I think CEO was. As a professional he should be able to come up with an idea or something, especially in front of his boss. Make something up (even if it's not the best idea) and fake it until you make it. But just being all "unfortunately.." aka I cannot think on my feet and have no idea what to do, looked really bad for him. I was all proud smiles when secretary Kim was able to role out idea and possible solutions. She should have that man's job. 

Real talk though, I could not be secretary Kim. He sent her on that errand to get that food (running down stairs in them heels...you can miss me with that request. Not I lol.) then when she comes back he's all "I no longer want it." She's a saint that needs to teach me her way for being able to hold in her anger. I swear we would have exchanged words, next time he could get his own damn lunch, and you best believe hamburger, fries, napkins, and coffee would be sitting on his desk to do whatever the heck he wanted with it! As much as I enjoy the two's progress, they are playing a dangerous game. They are blurring the lines of secretary Kim (his worker) and when she is Kim Mi So (the woman who is off the clock so should be able to say, do, think, what she feels) and in real life that would strain on a relationship. For all the equal there is still a huge power imbalance (same with Joon and his bff hence why bff often holds back his fire words least he get fired) and it needs to be resolved or can't really ship like I want to ship. I await the day Kim Mi So doesn't have to throw on a smile and hold it in. I want her to be able to get angry at him. To not have to sugar coat her words. To say no. To just say and behave how she feels like she would with any other guys she is dating.

They still very much see each other as CEO and secretary. Until they learn to turn it off when outside the office (when the work day is done) and become Joon and Mi So, a relationship is doomed to fail. I think @bebebisous33 mentioned CEO did not tell Kim they were on a date because he knew she would reject him, which is true. Kim Mi So had been there as secretary Kim, not the woman Kim. For her is was sort of an extension of her work day and much of it was her "job". I don't want their dating to be a job where she smiles and tells him what he wants to hear, holds in feelings, boasts his ego, etc etc. I need them to see each other as man and woman and come to terms if they like what they see and want to be with what they see. I don't want them there because "your'e my boss and could fire me" or "I'm your boss and you have do what I say". I need them to be together because Lee Joon likes Kim Mi So and Kim Mi So likes Lee Joon. 

Agree all the way here with regards to her having to be employee versus girlfriend. How is she supposed to tell her true feelings and thoughts as much as YJ says he needs her to when she thinks he could fire her at any time and leave her in the lurch (as much as we know all about their past and YJ's sincerity, how is she supposed to know? The power dynamics are too skewed in YJ's direction and I don't think he realises that yet and how vulnerable that would make Mi So feel. They need to get out of their respective roles of employer and employee as it is already stifling and distorting all their interactions as much as they are a power couple at the office, they need to be a REAL couple of equals in real life.

• Like 8

@theonlyone88 OMG! Thank you soo much for the explanation! :D I haven't had a chance at all to go through the webtoon and my, my, my, thank you for the synopsis. I am now really looking forward to the drama. Looking forward to LYJ doing all he can to protect KMS and not telling her the truth of who he is. I'm sorry, but totally loving it this setup. Like I'm not upset at LYJ for changing his name and hiding his true identity from KMS, it's for her own protection. Like he's going to keep the traumatize and not let her have it. :love: 

LYJ you are :thumbsup: 

I still can't believe the hyung, though. Like seriously, it's your fault and you gonna be the one having troubles. That's what happen when you are evil. I'm sorry, it's only the beginning and we barely know how the hyung is going to be portray like in the drama, but from reading you all talk about the webtoon, I'm already not liking the hyung. I like the actor, but not the character. He's evil! :rage:

13 minutes ago, jeijei said:

The Forest of Wisdom Library has been featured in a number of Kdramas. I remember it in  Father I'll Take Care of You and Hwayugi

Here is a write-up I found: 

https://koreandramaland.com/listings/forest-of-wisdom-library/

I was going to point out about the library, because it was in Hwayugi. Wow! Can't believe it's a popular shooting scene for Kdramas. 

• Like 7

@turtle0217 For me, SY is not evil but rather mentally sick. He has been selfish and jealous in the past and the kidnapping actually reinforced these flaws because his defense mechanism was to switch his position with his brother. By playing the victim, he wants to get all the attention from his parents. Besides, notice that his pen name is "Morpheus", the god of dreams in Greek Mythology. He is living in a dream where he doesn't want to wake up because if he did, he wouldn't be able to deal with reality. On the other hand, he thinks that he is the one who knows everything in life. He implied that his brother knew nothing about love. I don't think, SY knows about love because he mentioned three things he learnt in France and one of them was WOMEN! His words imply that he is actually a womanizer. 

• Like 16

1 hour ago, kdramaznoob said:

Agree all the way here with regards to her having to be employee versus girlfriend. How is she supposed to tell her true feelings and thoughts as much as YJ says he needs her to when she thinks he could fire her at any time and leave her in the lurch (as much as we know all about their past and YJ's sincerity, how is she supposed to know? The power dynamics are too skewed in YJ's direction and I don't think he realises that yet and how vulnerable that would make Mi So feel. They need to get out of their respective roles of employer and employee as it is already stifling and distorting all their interactions as much as they are a power couple at the office, they need to be a REAL couple of equals in real life.

Yup. At this point if Joon confesses he's going to be rightfully rejected. because the two are playing on different fields. Right now he's going forth doing the things he has assuming they are dating/he's wooing her. Meanwhile our girl Mi So is out here doing these things thinking it's an extension of her job and like he has said, it's a gratitude dinner from a boss to his soon to be former employee. She's not seeing these things in the romantic "date me" way he is secretly implying them as, and that will be his downfall. Did he not watch Reply 1988!?!? If you like the girl tell her, don't he secretly nice leaving Christmas gift gloves to her brother to give, coming in the rain with an umbrella, or going to concerts you hate just to please her (lawds will I ever get over the heart break of Jung Hwan?). Freaking tell her before you chese playing looking kind of dopey everyone takes care of him other BFF comes in and be the forefront hero who was always the hero in the back, and get the girl...*deep breath stops self from falling into 88 feels*  

Lee Joon needs to sincerely explain to secretary Kim that he doesn't just see her as secretary Kim, he sees her as Kim Mi So the woman (which we the audience know because in his talks with her, he often switches from secretary Kim, to Kim Mi So when it's about feelings and just liking her because she is a tailored suit -only he would confess love as a perfectly made suit-) and want her to act accordingly and treat/interact with him as Kim Mi So. TELL HER YOU DUNCE BEFORE YOUR MAYBE EVIL BROTHER WORMS HIS WAY INTO HER HEART AND HAS HER CONFLICTED JUST TO ADD DRAMA TO THE DRAMA AND TORTURE ME FOR LIKE 8 EPS OR SO!!!

There are so many spoilers here. I haven't read the webtoon (maybe will once the drama ends) and want the drama to tell me what is happening. So would you all mind posting reaction comments to spoiler comments in spoiler tag? I know it's not intentional but no spoiler tag reaction to something that has been spoiled gives it away a bit (if it's a good or bad thing. If brother is bad or not, if they were kidnapped and what happened exactly etc). I thus far know much more about the kidnapping than the drama has told, due to reactions. I hope it's not too much to ask as I don't want to take from anyone's fun, but please spoiler tag reactions/comments on spoiler tagged material.  Thank you. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, jeijei said:

The Forest of Wisdom Library has been featured in a number of Kdramas. I remember it in  Father I'll Take Care of You and Hwayugi

Here is a write-up I found: 

https://koreandramaland.com/listings/forest-of-wisdom-library/

They did an entire travel episode where they visted it in night goblin.. don't remember the episode though

• Like 1