Add and Subtract Game

Admin

4 minutes ago, 000231846597 said:

@wallflowersforjane @Lmangla There are some words that I am so used to in Asian English that I left some native speakers quite baffled.

Cueing: shroff, nullah, MRT

MRT is train; cueing is standing in line right? what is shroff and nullah? is nullah a version of null and void?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

36 minutes ago, 000231846597 said:

yeah we need more ppl in our team!

I'll try my best to help subtracting the number. :) 

34 minutes ago, partyon said:

Watch out, the thread moves fast sometimes so it's best to refresh the page after you posted and adjust your number in case new posts came in before you posted. :)

Dully noted. Thanks for the tips. Are there many members of team add that jump over to subtract team?

32 minutes ago, wallflowersforjane said:

So I often think about what signs JW and GU and the rest might be. A bit too crazy for me to share in the Wintergarden or main thread but no judgements here right? So far, only Seok Hyung has celebrated his birthday on screen, approx July so that means he's a Cancer. Since no other birthdays was shown, I am assuming the other four have birthdays in Jan-Mar. And that's why I suspect Jeong Won is a Pisces. It would explain his complex emotions and compassion so much! If speculation is right that GU is named for the season she was born in, a December/January date means there's a high chance of her being a Capricorn.

I think Song Hwa's birthday is in April, according to the scene where IJ bought his gift during flashback. JWon might've been born around Jan-Mar. I'm guessing IJ and JWan birthday is between Jan-Mar or May-Aug and might have not been mentioned during the drama because of the fast timeline. 

24 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

@alleram95 thanks , i appreciate your translating for us in so many dramas too :wub: 
About the sub & adding it’s open you can choose not to add or sub :joy: , we mainly do here is chat & have fun together about what we watching now or old dramas . 

Eh? You can choose not to add or subtract either when you posted in here? So does it mean I can choose to add or subtract a number in one post and not doing it at all in another post? :sweatingbullets:

About translating, hehe thanks but I'm still lacking in many ways. I can understand a little bit about Korean daily conversations due to my experiences watching drama for years, but not the professional terms like medical, law and others. Learn about the grammar structures for less than year and be-friending naver dictionary (and sometimes google translate) until forever to help understanding new words that I've never heard. 

Ahh seeing food picture at @Lmangla previous post made me hungry at this time. It's almost 1 a.m so I shouldn't eat anything since I'll have to sleep soon. By the way I think I've met @Lmangla at Five Children thread. Is it you or I made a mistake for thinking you as another poster? 

9 minutes ago, triplem said:

@alleram95 the team switching happened mainly from team add to team sub because of the shortage in team sub members. 

Ahh, so member of team subtract never jump over to team add?

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

10 minutes ago, triplem said:

@Lmangla Gosh i love that word enthu cutlet . I’m gonna use it @kokodus it’s the perfect word “Enthu cutlet  WG shippers are now on overdrive predicting S2 scenarios.” 

LOL... perfect usage of the expression. 100 marks! :joy:

another random expression: I have no idea who makes these up and how they end up in wider parlance

example#3: soup boy

meaning: someone who has a sad love life or just got dumped or is love sick

comment: I was so confused the first time I heard it because my first reaction was what does soup have do with being dumped? maybe they drink soup to make themselves feel better? what is the logic here? I don't think I ever got an answer to that. :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

5 minutes ago, alleram95 said:

I'll try my best to help subtracting the number. :) 

Dully noted. Thanks for the tips. Are there many members of team add that jump over to subtract team?

Thank you! :kiss_wink:

No, I was the only one recently who jumped ship to help out the team. I think @Lmangla jumped to team subtract as well at some point?

7 minutes ago, alleram95 said:

Ahh, so member of team subtract never jump over to team add?

@Ameera Alidid. She doesn't like losing.... :joy:

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

18 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

MRT is train; cueing is standing in line right? what is shroff and nullah? is nullah a version of null and void?

@partyon I honestly have no idea that the word 'cue' would cause additional confusion LOL

Shroff and nullah are indian-influenced English in 1700s.... they have now pretty much disappeared in modern English, but are still in use in some of the previous British Colonies in Asia.

@triplem @wallflowersforjane you may have some ideas what shroff and nullah actually mean?

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

4 minutes ago, partyon said:

No, I was the only one recently who jumped ship to help out the team. I think @Lmangla jumped to team subtract as well at some point?

yea I jumped ship several years? back I think.. it has been really long that I don't remember now...

12 minutes ago, alleram95 said:

Ahh seeing food picture at @Lmangla previous post made me hungry at this time. It's almost 1 a.m so I shouldn't eat anything since I'll have to sleep soon. By the way I think I've met @Lmangla at Five Children thread. Is it you or I made a mistake for thinking you as another poster? 

yea, your name looks familiar and yea, I did watch five children and was on the thread for most of it... waving hello!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, 000231846597 said:

@wallflowersforjane @Lmangla There are some words that I am so used to in Asian English that I left some native speakers quite baffled.

Cueing: shroff, nullah, MRT

Ah, MRT yes. I always forget that. Tourists always look confused when I use it. I have to say subway for them to get it.

I don't know shroff and nullah. Just looked it up though, I like shroff. Such a cool sound to it!

27 minutes ago, triplem said:

@wallflowersforjane omg . Hello neighbour!! You miss bubble tea or not ? why did your Govt ban it during CB? Thank god they didn’t close the shops here in Msia. I love my bubble tea from time to time . 

Hello hello! I suspected you were Malaysian from one of your posts earlier. At first, I missed it a lot but then I got used to it. Or substituted it with Pokka bottled milk tea. Govt just wanted to close down as many shops as possible to reduce the number of people outside lor. The GrabFood system crashed that night because people were fighting to get one last cup. But anyway, it's re-opened already!

19 minutes ago, alleram95 said:

I think Song Hwa's birthday is in April, according to the scene where IJ bought his gift during flashback. JWon might've been born around Jan-Mar. I'm guessing IJ and JWan birthday is between Jan-Mar or May-Aug and might have not been mentioned during the drama because of the fast timeline. 

Oh yes, totally forgot about that! She could be an Aries or a Taurus. I lean towards her being a Taurus though, works hard and plays hard.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, 000231846597 said:

@triplem @wallflowersforjane you may have some ideas what shroff and nullah actually mean?

just asked uncle google... shroff refers to a money changer. not sure about why it is called shroff as that can be a last name. perhaps, the money lenders had that last name and it just became shorthand to refer to them that way.

nullah means riverbed or drain for rain or floodwater. am not an engineer. so maybe thats why I haven't heard of this one. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, 000231846597 said:

Shroff and nullah are indian-influenced English in 1700s.... they have now pretty much disappeared in modern English, but are still in use in some of the previous British Colonies in Asia.

Cashier and stream?

The number is

@Ameera Ali @Lmangla @wallflowersforjane:joy:

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

@kokodus okay, I’m officially on board with Dr. Jang. I am so sad HP is done and I don’t know what to do with myself. I feel like rewatching all the episodes. I miss the fab 5 already! I am hardcore rooting for Ik-Jun and Songhwa. I feel bad for Dr. Ahn but I do think Ik-Jun and Songhwa are a better fit. 

For those watching TKEM, I just started ep 13 and it’s making me feel so anxious and stressed!! 

@snowlou let me tell you that @Sushimi has another person inside of her called “sugar” and she can be totally obsessed. Better not let her out bec she can go out of control. 

@triplem was it you who told me about Romance of Tiger and Rose? Ugh it’s so cute I breezed through all available episodes and now waiting for new ones. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

22 minutes ago, wallflowersforjane said:

Ah, MRT yes. I always forget that. Tourists always look confused when I use it. I have to say subway for them to get it.

Even the word “subway” can be confusing. It means pedestrian tunnel in my city, not metro.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

23 minutes ago, 000231846597 said:

Even the word “subway” can be confusing. It means pedestrian tunnel in my city, not metro.

There are a lot of different words for subway. In most countries the word French word metro is used for subway. London of course has an underground (or tube).

I think MRT is used in quite a few Asian countries, no? If I recall correctly Singapore, Bangkok and Taipei call their metro MRT?

This baby's pretty talented at dancing to Beyonce's Single Ladies (Put A Ring on It) :D

• Like 1
  • LOL 4