EVENT: [Drama 2006] Goong (Princess Hours) - 궁

partyon

A mixed bag with ep 17 and 18

In ep 17, I thought it was sweet when Shin asked CY to stay by his side even if he's not the CP.  I think it shows that he cares for her and (gasp!) needs her.  Hyorin had me feeling a bit sorry for her as she was truthful with the reporter.  What I didn't understand was the "friends" Yul invited to his birthday.  I didn't think he really had any friends, other than CY. 

Pigtails is not a good look for Shin in ep 18.  Yul's is really getting on my nerves. At least, Shin is honest with Hyorin about loving CY.  Shin really needs to be open with CY.  Here's my question does Peyha like Yul's mother?  Did they have an affair?

• Love 2

Annyeonghaseyo Chingus! :heythere:

A new poll is up for Episodes 17 & 18 based on the unforgettable birthday bash. :biubiu:

Please vote and share your thoughts with us.

@gm4queen @UnniSarah @CarolynH @annaR @*.:AnGeL*BAbII:.* @MayanEcho @maribella @twinkle_little_star @balletgoddess @LadySin @booha @Ameera Ali @willenette @mellina 

Re: Your friendly neighbourhood EOs

@partyon  @Lmangla  @Sleepy Owl  @agenth  @confusedheart

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 2

I wish there is 'none of the above option'.

Yul is really quite harmless, his mum is the manipulative one. There was a scene with the old king much earlier on when he angrily chased her out. I did not catch why.

She should have known the rule that the crown prince is the only prince allowed to live in the palace. 
She said she was a ballerina before getting married. She was really talking down to CK. Would Koreans accept a dancer as princess? 
The British are different. I saw the actress in a scene which showed her wearing only a pair of knickers and hugging the ML. 

:hwaiting2:

• Like 1
  • Blob 3

I agree with @maribella for question 1.  I don't have SLS, but I wouldn't say Yul is an idiot.  Currently, he's annoying, but I suspect, in the end he'll realize that CY is in love with Shin Goon.  He'd have to knock off Shin Goon to have a chance :joy:

I've just realized the last couple of episodes that Hyorin is not from a wealthy family.  How is she able to go horseback riding?  How was she able to buy a plane ticket to Thailand -did Yul's mother pay for it?

Thanks for the fun poll EOs!

• Blob 3

4 hours ago, CarolynH said:

I agree with @maribella for question 1.  I don't have SLS, but I wouldn't say Yul is an idiot.  Currently, he's annoying, but I suspect, in the end he'll realize that CY is in love with Shin Goon.  He'd have to knock off Shin Goon to have a chance :joy:

I've just realized the last couple of episodes that Hyorin is not from a wealthy family.  How is she able to go horseback riding?  How was she able to buy a plane ticket to Thailand -did Yul's mother pay for it?

Her mother is a servant in a rich woman's house, referred to as 'Madame' and she has been sponsoring HR's education.

• Thanks 1
  • Blob 3

Chingus @maribella and @CarolynH Ah yes, that was an oversight on my part. I should have included None of the above as an option too. He is too busy being stupid so TBH, it slipped my mind completely. :D He is either busy being deluded or sprouting preposterous political ideas. :facepalm: He and Hyorin can start dating each other. Both belonged to the 'Lonely Broken Hearts Club'.

@CarolynH I am with you regarding Hyorin. I was under the impression that she was from an affluent family too. Seeing how she was a ballet dancer, went horse riding in an exclusive club, but that might have been because of Shin. In fact, I initially thought that Shin had proposed to her because they belonged to the same class, besides being friends. 

@Nelza How are you liking it so far? What are your thoughts? Do share them please.

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

**Okay in EP17 CK and Shin made to the next stage of their relationship but the way things are happening looks heavy with a lot of angst.  Everybody is in a pressure cooker.   :sad1:

On 9/29/2021 at 7:33 PM, maribella said:

I wish there is 'none of the above option'.

Yul is really quite harmless, his mum is the manipulative one. There was a scene with the old king much earlier on when he angrily chased her out. I did not catch why.

She should have known the rule that the crown prince is the only prince allowed to live in the palace. 
She said she was a ballerina before getting married. She was really talking down to CK. Would Koreans accept a dancer as princess? 
The British are different. I saw the actress in a scene which showed her wearing only a pair of knickers and hugging the ML. 

:hwaiting2:

Yeah that’s a palace hidden secret. The old king learned about hanky-panky between Yul’s mom and Shin’s dad.  I suspect it was butler Gong  who discovered their secret meetings in that old library (probably after her husband CP was dead and Shin’s dad became CP)    Yul’s mom first dated Shin’s dad (?maybe in collage) but she ditched the love and accepted the marriage from the brother of Shin’s dad because he was CP and she wanted to be a queen.  She knew Shin’s dad never got over her so she flirted with him.  That’s why the old  king gave her two options: Live outside of the palace in Korea, no financial support  OR leave Korea permanently with financial support. When she left the country, no one knew why then except perhaps Shin’s mom.

(I don’t remember exactly when)Shin found letters (his dad & Yul’s mom) and when he realized Yul had a feeling for CK he became raged.  We saw the amusing scene during a family dinner when CK got hurt and Yul jump in to help her and how Shin, his dad, his mom and Yul’s mom reacted. lol  :sweats: :sweat_smile:

On 9/29/2021 at 8:50 PM, CarolynH said:

A boy, Kang In (one of Shin’s rich friends) helped HR like buying a ticket to Thailand and other things)  He has a deep crush on her but he can’t be with her. He’s from a rich family and lives like a rich kid but that’s all (??because his mom is a second wife something like that)   That’s why he let Shin date her.    So whenever he looks at HR there is a sad expression.   

• Thanks 2
  • Blob 3

53 minutes ago, booha said:

We saw the amusing scene during a family dinner when CK got hurt and Yul jump in to help her and how Shin, his dad, his mom an

I thought that was a bit much of CK biting her tongue and reacting like a spoilt kid. I liked her in the early episodes , but later she became whiny. Occasionally they gave flashes of the girl she was. Of course, we all change but she wasn't in the palace for more than a year.

• Like 1
  • Blob 4

On 10/1/2021 at 12:16 AM, maribella said:

I thought that was a bit much of CK biting her tongue and reacting like a spoilt kid. I liked her in the early episodes , but later she became whiny. Occasionally they gave flashes of the girl she was. Of course, we all change but she wasn't in the palace for more than a year.

Okay until CK came to the palace she lived in an ordinary family albeit a rather goofy one (an  interesting contrast against Shin’s royal family)   She’s only 19 and at first she seems lost in the shock of her changing fortune. But gradually when things pile up around her, she couldn’t help whining under such circumstances, just like Shin who is as much confused and has a hard time and says things wrongly looking inconsiderate and mean.  :kicks:
CK and Shin are complete opposite in personality and background. I think their relationship survives from doom because of intervention of Cupid’s love arrow. :innocent:  
Yeah whenever either acts childish I feel irritated.  Then I have to say; how could they not? Lol  They are only 19 ( in Korea 2006)  yet they are forced into a difficult marital relationship.  mymy  :handsup:  :sweat_smile:

onBZAht.jpg

qBBinhr.gif

Rdq63Vm.gif

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

Thoughts from ep 19 and 20

CY (is it supposed to be CK?) is right that Shin doesn't consider her feelings.  And Shin has some nerve telling CK not to meet Yul when he continues to see Hyorin.  The light bulb has turned on for me!  The King did and continues to have feelings for Yul's omma.  Shin redeemed himself by allowing CK to spend the night at her parents, but her omma was right in sending her back to the Palace.  And hey, now CK drives like a pro?  Where are all her bodyguards?

A bunch of people were stupid in ep 20.  CK continues to do things that make me want to shake her and tell her to get a clue!  And the Palace was stupid seemingly to allow CK to drive off the premises.  I found Hyorin the most mature of the bunch.  At least she now understands that she is not first in Shin's heart and is moving on.  Bravo!  I'm trying to figure out if Yul is being a good friend to CK in suggesting she asks for the divorce during the interview, or if he is being selfish.  I guess I'll find out next week!

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

On 10/3/2021 at 9:59 AM, booha said:

have to say; how could they not? Lol  They are only 19 ( in Korea 2006)  yet they are forced into a difficult

The early episodes emphasised their youth, playing childish games and quarrelling like kids. But the whiny CK was not from a youthful reaction, that part was gone. Their characters were reacting like adults, all within a short space of time. 
What the heck? I am applying real life expectations to kdrama again. :smirk: 
I enjoyed watching this show for most episodes.

Spoiler

The finale with Yul's mother trying to commit suicide and his grande geste accepting responsiblity was amusing. I should feel another emotion I think.

But real life again: Yul had admitted to arson and framing his cousin for it, wouldn't he be charged for the crime as Shin was investigated? Kdrama police can be so forgiving.

• LOL 5

On 10/4/2021 at 4:55 AM, CarolynH said:

CK continues to do things that make me want to shake her and tell her to get a clue!  And the Palace was stupid seemingly to allow CK to drive off the premises.

I see that you're watching the part where EVERYTHING about the drama annoys us. :D 

@maribella You're back, chingu! :waves:

@booha is still onboard too! Thank you for the lovely pics and gifs :kiss_wink:

@confusedheart putting up a poll. :glasses:

Did we loose @twinkle_little_star?

Here are my thoughts on ep 19 & 20:

• Communication between the two leads is sometimes improving, but it's like "two steps forward - one step back". So many issues would be resolved if they would just open their mouths and tell each other how they feel. <sigh>
  • The whole discussion about divorce shows us that CK is at her breaking point, but let's see if she takes the high road - not just thinking about her own feelings, but taking into account Shin's and the royal family's as well.
    These episodes really cemented my dislike for Yul because he clearly is trying to influence CK to dump Shin. :rage:

PS. Believe it or not, but my dongsaeng @Sleepy Owl completed the drama after whining for the first 10 episodes

"Noona, do I really have to watch this? I am FFing all the episodes and completing them in 5 minutes. It's too sappy!"

2 weeks later:

"Noona, it was actually pretty good! I binge watched all of the episodes in one go."

Me:

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Still waiting for him to comment on this thread though
:loolz:

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

On 10/4/2021 at 11:39 PM, partyon said:

PS. Believe it or not, but my dongsaeng @Sleepy Owl completed the drama after whining for the first 10 episodes

"Noona, do I really have to watch this? I am FFing all the episodes and completing them in 5 minutes. It's too sappy!"

2 weeks later:

"Noona, it was actually pretty good! I binge watched all of the episodes in one go."

Still waiting for him to comment on this thread though

Well yeah, I completed the drama, although on "Super FF" mode not always, but most of the times :joy:

So Noona, did I say "pretty good"? I would say it was rather good, won't say it was among the best dramas I watched, but it surely got a lot better than the first few episodes which were forcing me to drop it/indefinitely pause it :piggydance:

I will be commenting for this week's episode this week, can't do it right now since I really don't remember what happened in which episode and don't really want to spoil it for others. So I will just check out the episodes a bit and see what actually had happened in them and get back here to comment. 

But, I got to say, knowing they are still kids, very young, I can't really take the love triangle seriously :joy:

They show the 2nd ML suffering a lot, with some relevant music in the background, and here I am eating my popcorn and thinking "Why is he acting like it is end of the world" :loolz:

The only that had me going was the 2nd ML's mom, since I was really interested in seeing how all her evil plans will finally get her in a tight spot. 

• LOL 5
  • Awesome 1

8 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

They show the 2nd ML suffering a lot, with some relevant music in the background, and here I am eating my popcorn and thinking "Why is he acting like it is end of the world" 

teenage angst; everything is so melodramatic at that stage. 

pikachu-pokemon.gif 

and then we grow up.... or not! :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

On 10/4/2021 at 3:09 PM, partyon said:

@booha is still onboard too! Thank you for the lovely pics and gifs :kiss_wink:

Oh yes  as a matter of fact I couldn’t help myself again and finished it a while ago  haha  So much in the head but putting it down on the page is a different matter sigh :sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets:

Yes I agree CK and Shin are improving but still it’s torture to watch. At this point they know they have a feeling for each other so their conversation  becomes more like a two way act though there are hits and many misses.  :confounded:
If they aren’t a bit underage, when their talking is hitting a concrete wall, they could stop and hug and kisskiss. Lol     Doesn’t anybody think it will generate a sweet emotion which could soften boiling frustration and anger?!!   hehe 

Yeah in truth this only works in a kdrama land.   In reality who would raise a hand and say timeout in the midst of a screaming argument.  The wisest thing is to accept that the relationship is hard and messy regardless of age.   So that a writer forever toils over it and we the viewers watch it over and over. :getmygrooveon:

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, booha said:

Oh yes  as a matter of fact I couldn’t help myself again and finished it a while ago  haha  So much in the head but putting it down on the page is a different matter sigh :sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets:

lol.  i take notes while I'm watching (yes, like when I was in school many many years ago!).  I can't remember what I've watched otherwise.  And I have to post soon thereafter or I still don't know what I've watched because I can't read my writing :wut:

• LOL 3

23 hours ago, CarolynH said:

lol.  i take notes while I'm watching (yes, like when I was in school many many years ago!).  I can't remember what I've watched otherwise.  And I have to post soon thereafter or I still don't know what I've watched because I can't read my writing :wut:

I like your point. :thumbsup:    After each episode just scribble down before moving on to the next episode.  Gosh however sometimes when the brain is set for binge watching  it may be hard to pause and think through what I watched. This strong urge to see the next episode is hard to ignore.  Lol :cold_sweat:       However it might work on the on-going drama. :kitty:

Btw it seems in Goong any secret/spoiler is revealed in such a way that it can be easily missed,  like the scene where the old king told Yul’s mom about her indiscretion with his two sons ( the scene is very brief & the line is rather vague)  or Shin mentioned finding his dad’s love letters which I still don’t remember which EP it’s from.  Lol  :cries3:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Thoughts on eps 21-22-from my notes!

I called ep 21, the feel bad for Shin ep.  Early in the ep, I felt CK hurt Shin pretty badly although he has been sending her mixed signals.  I think the King is too hard on Shin, especially when he took Yul to the cultural event instead of Shin.  Even if Shin didn't want to go, that had to hurt.  It irritated me that CK couldn't figure out that the only way to make amends was to identify Yul as the person she was with.  Why would she protect Yul over Shin? Yow!  Yul told the truth!  I didn't expect that--at least now.  CK continues to hurt Shin by asking Yul to take her to her room.  CK was upset that Shin didn't visit her, but what would he do if he visited her--small talk?  I also was yelling for CK to tell the grandma the truth.  The grandma has been so nice and supportive, and that's how she's repaid?

What was the purpose of Shin's sister?  I had high hopes that she would run interference, but she just sits by people's side.  Perhaps a wasted character?

Wow!  I can't believe last two eps next week!

• Love 1

Chingus, here are my thoughts on ep 21 and 22. Only one more week to go after this! :love:

Ep 21

• This is an episode where my heart for the first time bled for Shin. He confessed his feelings to CK on live TV and she repays him by mentioning divorce in front of the whole nation. Specifically after he had asked her not to.
    It was very selfish of her and also showed that she Yul has too much influence over her thoughts and actions.
    :kicks:
  • Prince Shin is not very good at communicating about his feelings so he uses the silent treatment all the while CK is trying to make amends to the King, her husband and the royal household.
    Our couple's communication skills suck - I don't think anyone disagrees on the fact that they should really work on it....
  • @CarolynH Like you I had hoped that CK would have opened up to Grandma. :tears: But in the end we got a confession from Yul.
    advice madea GIF
  • Honestly if there is something CK should divorce, it's that dress that she wore to the interview. ATROCIOUS! :rage:
    1968b8a2960ba21ce1b11d103913d6a792b537fd
  • cr. to owner

Ep 22

• CK was pardoned and of course she was hurt that Shin didn't visit her. Because sigh. We never have a happy moment. :unamused:
  • Finally we get rid of Yul!
    Hell Yeah Yes GIF by Paul McCartney
    But not before a fire breaks out :unamused:
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1