EVENT: [Drama 2006] Goong (Princess Hours) - 궁

partyon

[Drama 2006] Goong (Princess Hours) RE-WATCH EVENT

spacer.png

Chingus, welcome to the Goong (Princess Hours) re-watch event!

You may have heard of this classic k-drama - now is your chance to watch it together with your Event Organizers! Why not watch an older drama to re-live the feeling when the original Hallyu Wave was at its peak?

:yay:

1. How do I register?

Raise your hand and say you're in. You can join or leave at any time just like in a regular drama thread.

2. How does it work?

Every week - we will watch 2 episodes and post right here on this thread.

You can watch at your convenience but post your responses to the episode no earlier than Monday each week.

3. I've never watched it. Can I join the event anyway?

Absolutely! :kiss_wink:

4. What should I keep in mind?

You can watch the episodes faster than 2 episodes per week, but please keep to the episode schedule with regard to commenting.

Also, please do not add spoilers in your posts that might take away from the enjoyment of the chingus watching for the first time....

All normal k-drama thread rules apply also in this thread.

5. What is the schedule? When can I start commenting on the weekly episodes?

Aug 2 -- ep 1 & 2 (i.e. you can start commenting on episodes 1 and 2 on Monday Aug 2nd)

Aug 9 -- ep 3 & 4

Aug 16 -- ep 5 & 6

Aug 23 -- ep 7 & 8

Aug 30 -- ep 9 & 10

Sept 6 -- ep 11 & 12

Sept 13 -- ep 13 & 14

Sept 20 -- ep 15 & 16

Sept 27 -- ep 17 & 18

Oct 4 -- ep 19 & 20

Oct 11 -- ep 21 & 22

Oct 18 -- ep 23 & 24

6. Do you have any information about the drama?

Drama: Goong (Princess Hours)

Genre: comedy, romance, school, drama

Network: MBC
Episodes: 24

Director: Hwang In Roe, Kim Do Hyung

Writer: In Eun Ah

Release date: Jan 11, 2006 - Mar 30, 2006

OST: Spotify, YouTube

Official site: https://program.imbc.com/gung

Other site: https://asianwiki.com/Princess_Hours

Plot:

Feisty, bubbly, and no-nonsense, Chae Gyeong is an ordinary high school student. Until one day when she receives some unexpected news. Because of her grandfather's will, she must marry the unendurable Crown Prince Lee Shin who also happens to attend her high school. Chae Gyeong initially resists the proposal before reluctantly agreeing to marry him to help her debt-ridden family.

As she struggles to adapt herself to royal life, learning proper manners and taking on the duties of palace life while dealing with a disagreeable husband, the Crown Prince's sentimental cousin and second-in-line to the throne, Yul, steps into her life. She feels like she can rely on Yul for help and guidance but still finds it difficult not to worry about her haughty, cold-hearted husband. To help bridge this gap, the senior members of the royal family take some special measures to get them to spend the night together.

(Source: MyDramaList)

Cast:

spacer.png

Yoon Eun Hye - Shin Chae-Kyung

Ju Ji Hoon - Lee Shin

Kim Jeong Hoon - Lee Yul

Song Ji Hyo - Min Hyo-Rin

Lee Yoon Ji - Princess Hye-Myung

Shim Hye Jin - Lady Hwa-Yong

Park Chan Hwan - King

Yun Yoo San - Queen Min

Kim Hye Ja - Queen Mother Park

Kim Sang Joong - Lee Soo

Choi Bul Am - Emperor Seong-Jo

1.Soompi code of conduct | SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like  SOOMPI TV, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

tagging some people :

Your Event Organizers,

(who will be watching the drama too )

@confusedheart326 @agenth @Sleepy Owl @partyon @Lmangla

• Like 6
  • Love 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

12 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

I will try to join you guys, this is was an amazing drama. Thanks for the mention @partyon

Yay, glad to have you onboard, chingu!  :cheers:

6 hours ago, CarolynH said:

I will join too.  Where can I watch it? Yeah, I'm too lazy to look it up lol.

Are you watching it for the first time? :kiss_wink:

It's available at least on Viki and Amazon. Haven't checked if it's available on Netflix or Viu.

Normally it would be listed as "Princess Hours" on these sites.

6 hours ago, gm4queen said:

Thank you @partyon chingu for tagging me! I haven't watched this drama before so am I still welcome here??? :D

I will still try watching the drama and leaving comments along with you guys! :lol:

Of course, you can watch it even if you haven't watched it before. I joined the Empress Ki re-watch party back in the day with no experience of a sageuk before. :D I survived.

6 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Thanks for the tag @partyon! Havent seen this drama yet. Hopefully I'll be able to join when the re-watch starts. :)

Ooh, what a nice surprise that you are joining the rewatch party too. :heartxoxo:You can already start watching it. Commenting on the first two episodes is allowed starting from Monday next week.

330jt-WTKWJ9NE991-Full-Image_GalleryBack

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

I like the Queen mother.

CK was adorable for the first half when she was the clueless commoner trying to fit in, but as more romance developed she became whiny. I think the series was the first for Yoon and Ju?

Her parents started depending on her as their cash cow. But they changed them to be supportive parents which was  nice.

One thing which I had to ignore was that all the drama involved 19 year olds. I was struggling with my assignments and a few pimples at that age.

marriage problems?:crazymad:

Let's see how I react this time round.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

the second classic drama i have watched. (no one can beat autumn in my heart, for sure). i used to hate song jihyo before i knew she is the song jihyo who i adore in running man :lol:

it was a good drama when i was a teenager. a charming and cold prince who falling love to a ordinary girl and she can change him for better. it sounds so dreamy for my 13 yo. but, idk if i will watch it again because my preferences are different now.

anyway, thanks for the tag! can't wait for another event. i like filling the pool

• Like 4
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

I remember watching this on a vcd/ dvd with dodgy subs lmao idk if it was the subs but I didn't love it like everyone else did but it was okay! worth the watch, it was the first one that I watched with a 'modern royalty' kinda theme.

what a coincidence though, I recently watched a Knowings Bro ep that had Yoon EunHye as a guest (ep 289) and one of the segments showed

Spoiler

a snippet of the YEH and JJH's kiss from Goong!

was such a throwback since I haven't seen her in so long

• Like 4
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

2 hours ago, maribella said:

One thing which I had to ignore was that all the drama involved 19 year olds. I was struggling with my assignments and a few pimples at that age.

marriage problems?

Let's see how I react this time round.

I know right? :D 
I am wondering whether they will make the leads older (college students) in the remake they are planning....?

57 minutes ago, annaR said:

anyway, thanks for the tag! can't wait for another event. i like filling the pool

Thanks for commenting. :heart: If you have any event ideas, do feel free to contact us EOs. :kiss_wink:

24 minutes ago, *.:AnGeL*BAbII:.* said:

what a coincidence though, I recently watched a Knowings Bro ep that Yoon EunHye as a guest (ep 289) and one of the segments showed

was such a throwback since I haven't seen her in so long

It's such a pity that she stopped appearing in dramas. Her recent variety show appearances have given me some hope that she might be considering getting back into the limelight. Yoon Eun Hye is a great actress and a great kisser too. I would be so happy if she would get back into the game again. :partyblob:

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

34 minutes ago, partyon said:

know right? :D 
I am wondering whether they will make the leads older (college students) in the remake they are plannin

A remake? Oh no no, look at Phoenix, people I know dropped it. So I did not watch even 1 episode and the original was so enjoyable. 

Goong S was supposed to be part 2, but it turned out to be completely different actors. 

I say just leave it as one of the classics that started a new trope of overprivileged scions. Goong S, Boys over Flower... any more?

• Like 3
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

3 hours ago, maribella said:

marriage problems?

yea I had the same feel when I watched. but these days, after reading about some royal gossips, I think perhaps the grandfather was right in making sure his grandson got married young and the wife could be trained in the royal ways and got adjusted to living in the palace -- so no running away across the pond and throwing temper tantrums from across the sea with interviews and flashy memoirs....  ^_^

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

54 minutes ago, maribella said:

A remake? Oh no no, look at Phoenix, people I know dropped it. So I did not watch even 1 episode and the original was so enjoyable. 

Yes, there were mixed reactions about the news that Goong was going to get a remake. It's only 15 years ago since the original one came out - it might be too early for a remake?

https://www.soompi.com/article/1457648wpp/hit-2006-drama-goong-to-get-a-remake

I say just leave it as one of the classics that started a new trope of overprivileged scions. Goong S, Boys over Flower... any more?

Agree. I would rather watch a part 2 with Ju Ji Hoon and Yoon Eun Hye as adults in any case.

But with Boys Over Flowers, I have to say that I am quite enjoying the remakes. I have watched all of them and I am waiting for the Thai version to come out sometime this year. @agenth and Ms. Koko @kokodus have promised to watch it with me. :glasses:

This is by the way one of the best parodies of a BOF trailer I've seen in a long time :joy:

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

14 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

yea I had the same feel when I watched. but these days, after reading about some royal gossips, I think perhaps the grandfather was right in making sure his grandson got married young and the wife could be trained in the royal ways and got adjusted to living in the palace -- so no running away across the pond and throwing temper tantrums from across the sea with interviews and flashy memoirs....  ^_^

The oldman made that promise a long time ago, when marriages were arranged for all, not just the rich. 

I don't think age matters, some people think they can have their cake and eat it. 

In the manga, the king was quite horny. The part I read dealt with the possibility that Yul was his son.  I think  this show deviated from the webtoon.

Is it still continuing?

• Like 3
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

8 minutes ago, maribella said:

In the manga, the king was quite horny. The part I read dealt with the possibility that Yul was his son.  I think  this show deviated from the webtoon.

Is it still continuing?

I remember reading parts of the translated manga and was so bored that I dropped it. at the time, it was still continuing. it should have finished by now right? 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

tenor-1.gif

:foryou:

thank you lovely @partyon for tagging me. one of my favourite shows and definitely worth a rewatch. classic korean drama Princess Hours. for now, let's just pretend that 'their sweet kiss' are like any other song we might hear on the radio by an artist we've never heard of before. :D

tumblr-mzyr51-Cy-TM1tr6kt6o6-500.gif

source:

https://kdramahood.com/dh/princess-hours/

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 4

6 hours ago, partyon said:

Ooh, what a nice surprise that you are joining the rewatch party too. You can already start watching it. Commenting on the first two episodes is allowed starting from Monday next week.

May I be able to. :lol: If there aren't changes to the sched, I can squeeze an ep or two a week. :D

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

Yassss!!! I'm in :issohappy:

This was the second k-drama I ever watched back in 2008.

After watching Coffee Prince, I needed more YEH dramas so I found this and I became her fan after watching Goong. I even went to Chinatown in NYC and bought both DVD series with the horrible "Engrish" subtitles lol

I wish we could do a watch party on Viki for this

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

18 hours ago, partyon said:

Are you watching it for the first time? :kiss_wink:

It's available at least on Viki and Amazon. Haven't checked if it's available on Netflix or Viu.

Normally it would be listed as "Princess Hours" on these sites.

Yes!  I've never seen it before!

You have to be a Viki Pass Plus to access it on Viki, which I'm not.:(  It's unavailable on Amazon Prime in my region. :tears: I'll have to resort to another site to watch:o.  I'll try although I don't like watching on those sites.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 3

7 hours ago, balletgoddess said:

Yassss!!! I'm in

This was the second k-drama I ever watched back in 2008.

After watching Coffee Prince, I needed more YEH dramas so I found this and I became her fan after watching Goong. I even went to Chinatown in NYC and bought both DVD series with the horrible "Engrish" subtitles lol

I wish we could do a watch party on Viki for this

Yay! Glad to have you onboard! :partyblob:

Would love to do a watch party on Viki. But as @CarolynH pointed out, it's a Viki Pass Plus drama, and I guess it's safe to assume not everyone has that?

Apparently Goong is only available on Netflix in Japan.

Hopefully, we can all enjoy this drama in any case and have some fun commenting on the episodes. :kiss_wink:

I will put up a poll regarding the 2 first episodes next week.

:wow1:

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1