EVENT: [Drama 2006] Goong (Princess Hours) - 궁

partyon

Ep 1 & 2 Poll is Up!

Everyone, a new poll is up! :sparklyeyes:

We have 3 questions....

1) What do you miss the most from 2006? The t-shirt over a long sleeve shirt?

430fbad81239a4f850117843c827a05d.gif

2) Who do you think will be the MVP (Most Valuable Player) in the drama?

378739511722bd0e73605495a8fdf59c.gif

(HINT: it's not a cat)

3) Would you marry a prince/princess because of a promise between your grandpas?

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611bb30205e17c5327745

In other news, the music in ep 1 & 2 drove me nuts. What's with the Irish jig / Riverdance music? :unamused:

What were your thoughts with regard to the episodes? :kiss_wink: Did you find the teddy bears scary? Did you also find yourself wondering how much hair was on grandma dowager queen's head?

@gm4queen @UnniSarah @CarolynH @annaR @*.:AnGeL*BAbII:.* @MayanEcho @maribella @twinkle_little_star @balletgoddess @LadySin @booha @Ameera Ali @willenette @mellina 

@agenth @confusedheart326 @Sleepy Owl @Lmangla

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
  • Wiggle 2

I'm still on episode 1, but it reminds me of BOF, which I'm re-watching.  The entrance of the prince and 3 friends and the spunky girl, who I imagine will end up with the Prince.  I raised my eyebrow at her father using the ring as the table stabilizer.  TBC

• Like 2
  • Blob 5

@partyon you know they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but Grandpa's choice is a bit too hairy for me.

:Megalol:

There are a lot of shows of this trope 'not that I even like you but I have to marry you' for some reason or another.   I really did not like her family in the beginning, sort of bear with it by the end. I did not hear any regret from them for pushing her into the marriage to solve their monetary problems. Or did I miss it?

My first encounter of the  kind was 'Full House'. I enjoyed it too. Amazing how cliched tropes can be fun.

• Blob 5

Oh they have those toy like tiny cell phones. :love: I think the trend is coming back. Smaller, sleeker, foldable cell phones. Oh the princess has started a new trend. Gym pants underneath the skirt and pencils in your bun. :D

I'd marry a prince if he is

a. not a jerk/ playboy

b. handsome

c. can not not be not the sharpest crayon in the box. :tears:

d. loves animals especially cats and dogs

e. Is a good person

Do we find them in the fantasy K-drama land only?:huh:

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Wiggle 1

On 8/2/2021 at 2:39 PM, partyon said:

Ep 1 & 2 Poll is Up!

Everyone, a new poll is up! :sparklyeyes:

We have 3 questions....

3) Would you marry a prince/princess because of a promise between your grandpas?

Well look at Shin Chae-Kyung’s instant imaginary reaction to Lee Shin. lol  haha  A prince like him who can say nooo  :ok:
Yeah I’m a sucker for any romance drama with prince/ general/aristocrat  :bawling:

nm8uWvp.jpg   W4dVxqN.jpg

cr to DC

GAoCzsG.gif

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

**After watching Goong again I came to see why it became so popular.  It’s more than just a manhwa Cinderella romcom.   Life is hard.  Life doesn’t give us a free pass. Everyone has to pay a price one way or another  No exceptions.     In the drama everyone carries on their backs the burden of life and the writer shows how they deal with it each in their own way.  But there is great deal of tenderness portraying their struggle in the drama which might be hard to do effectively in a manhwa setting.   
Nicely done for those four teenagers who are suddenly thrust into the situation and have to grow up under such pressure.

(updated version, recent re-serialized through Kakao Page)

cucIfXg.jpg

(original manhwa, black&white)

9hbHziF.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1

This is not my first time watching this show. But there were episodes in the 60-70 % zone that I sort of zipped through. :grimace:

It was very entertaining when I first watched it. But the klutzy CG became rather whiny when she started falling for Shin. Anyway we are still talking 1-2 or 3-4 now?

I read somewhere that the school is an exclusive Arts school. The prince is sent here instead of the Royal school to mix with the people - who knows where the Royal school is - and he majors in film making.

BTW is Shin's father Dae Jang Geum's pa? I think so. Also the father of Na Yeon's twin in Heaven's Promise. That actor has a startled look in HP, I think it's a mediocre job. 

When Yoon was first cast as a popular manga character, there was a lot of hoo-haa because many thought she was not princess-like at all in her girl's group. She does play the clueless teenager rather well. Yes, the very short skirt would not get by in many schools I read about outside Korea.

But why do we get this 'normal life' as the middle class way of life? Shin is a prince what's normal to him is not middle class. I am sure even billionaire families like Gates' don't live like middle class, no? I don't know any billionaire families.
Ok ok, readers of mangas and viewers of Kdramas are middle class in Korea. 

I'm guilty of FFWing again this second time round. I don't find CG's family warm and loving, quite annoying. 

In fact the Dowager queen is funnier and if the music jazzes up a bit, it would be a fun family. 

Meeting and chatting together for breakfast is so nice. 'Normal' families would barely say bye before before dashing out.

• Like 2
  • Blob 4

I finished ep 3 last night.  It's getting better... I think.  I'm trying to keep an open mind, knowing that it is an older drama. I did get a laugh when Chae Kyung's headdress got stuck in the PM's hair :lol:

15 hours ago, maribella said:

I'm guilty of FFWing again this second time round. I don't find CG's family warm and loving, quite annoying.

Sorry to cut your post, but I agree with you.  Cg's family seems, at least at this point in the drama, like gold diggers, which I really despise. 

Off to watch ep 4.!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 3

5 hours ago, CarolynH said:

I finished ep 3 last night.  It's getting better... I think.  I'm trying to keep an open mind, knowing that it is an older drama. I did get a laugh when Chae Kyung's headdress got stuck in the PM's hair :lol:

Sorry to cut your post, but I agree with you.  Cg's family seems, at least at this point in the drama, like gold diggers, which I really despise. 

Off to watch ep 4.!

Is this your first viewing? I'll leave it for you to find out.

It's the usual 'middle class' is the norm, loving devoted parents etc.  versus cold uncaring Royals. Didn't work for me.

It's like the show girl and the idiot prince who want to break away and lead normal lives but have been signing deals cashing in on their terrible old lives. Is that logical?

• Like 2
  • Blob 5

giphy.gif

hai everyone. :D a view into Goong's past is shown as we are introduced to this couple. episode 3 now stands in another connexion, where it is certainly out of place. Chae Kyung is finally determined to be Crown Princess. as soon as she moves into the palace, her training begins. :D learning the palace speech is a given and it's difficult for her to learn the proper order and etiquette for the upcoming ceremonies but Crown Prince Shin's cold to her. however, versatile actress Yoon Eun Hye, she excelled at her character as this kinda bubbly ordinary girl who realizes she's going to marry the prince of Korea. :D revealing a plot twist to viewers in advance when Shin makes a deal with Chae Kyung, in a few years, if she can't bear the pressures of palace life any longer, he'll grant her a divorce. meanwhile, the ceremony installing the Crown Princess takes place. their traditional marriage takes place in the 21st century Royal Family. after weeks of waiting, it's finally time to watch Crown Prince Shin and Chae Kyung tie the knot live on TV. for real. this is so exciting. there's been so much planning and prepping both publicly and the scenes that the big day finally being here must be such a relief on top of all of the excitement. :D the episode 4, which is of more than merely personal interest. on the first night following the wedding ceremony, a young couple get married and have their first night together in their new room. they're saving one's virginity till marriage might be considered a dying practice in this day but some couples still choose to abstain due to tradition or just personal choice. :D 

there're many romantic moments in the series, like their accidentally first kiss feel in love. Shin took away Chae Kyung first kiss. :D later, they return to school after a long absence. Chae Kyung, who is a real live Cinderella becomes an outcast at their school. from my point of view, let's say you arrive in class unmotivated to be there. ask yourself questions such as, 'what do I need to get out of today's class to be prepared for the meeting with classmates and ex-girlfriend?' :D I could try savouring one episode at one time in a slow watching practice. one more episode, please. :D why I can't stop binge watching on Princess Hours. :D 

original.gif

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 4

:waves: guys!

I've finished watching episode 3-4 and this series is so funny yet so emotional at the same time! :)

So Yul might end up being a rival to Lee Shin? And I want Shin to be nice to his pretty bride! These two got the chemistry! I can;t wait to see them fall for each other and overcome their problems! :lol:

Love the grandma queen! She is strict but so funny! :joy:

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 3

Chingus, a new poll is up! :glee:

This time the poll focuses on ep 3 & 4. Thank you to @confusedheart326 chingu who came up with the majority of the questions.

:heartxoxo:

For me the wedding was bitter sweet. All I could think about when the tied up goose was gifted Chae Kyung, was that she was entering the palace and would find herself soon in a similar position as the goose. Without a voice and a free will. It felt a bit sad.

But then again, this is a romcom and things are usually rosier in drama land. So let's see if Chae Kyung will find her own voice and her own freedom as the drama progresses...

:transforms:

Thank you to all of you who have voted and/or commented. We enjoy reading your thoughts very much. :kiss_wink:

@gm4queen @UnniSarah @CarolynH @annaR @*.:AnGeL*BAbII:.* @MayanEcho @maribella @twinkle_little_star @balletgoddess @LadySin @booha @Ameera Ali @willenette @mellina 

@agenth @confusedheart326 @Sleepy Owl @Lmangla

• Like 1
  • Love 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, maribella said:

Is this your first viewing? I'll leave it for you to find out.

It's the usual 'middle class' is the norm, loving devoted parents etc.  versus cold uncaring Royals. Didn't work for me.

It's like the show girl and the idiot prince who want to break away and lead normal lives but have been signing deals cashing in on their terrible old lives. Is that logical?

Yes, it's the first watch for me.

13 hours ago, gm4queen said:

guys!

I've finished watching episode 3-4 and this series is so funny yet so emotional at the same time! :)

So Yul might end up being a rival to Lee Shin? And I want Shin to be nice to his pretty bride! These two got the chemistry! I can;t wait to see them fall for each other and overcome their problems! :lol:

Love the grandma queen! She is strict but so funny! :joy:

Is So Yul the guy with the  orange/red hair?  If so, I suspect there will be the love triangle.  At this point, I like orange hair better than the prince.  So, orange hair was supposed to be crown prince, but because his father died, he is no longer consider part of the royal family?  I notice he did not have any bodyguards or anyone giving him a lift home.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 3

13 hours ago, CarolynH said:

Yes, it's the first watch for me.

Is So Yul the guy with the  orange/red hair?  If so, I suspect there will be the love triangle.  At this point, I like orange hair better than the prince.  So, orange hair was supposed to be crown prince, but because his father died, he is no longer consider part of the royal family?  I notice he did not have any bodyguards or anyone giving him a lift home.  

Yes, Yul is the guy with the orange hair and he was the original heir to the throne.

I do not remember though why his uncle became king instead of him (after his father died). Normally I would have thought that the crown would be passed on to the son?

I also wondered why he has no bodyguards around him. He is 2nd in line....? Wouldn't there be a risk for him too?

I guess that one has to throw reason out of the window when watching this drama... :loolz:

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 3

10 hours ago, partyon said:

Yes, Yul is the guy with the orange hair and he was the original heir to the throne.

I do not remember though why his uncle became king instead of him (after his father died). Normally I would have thought that the crown would be passed on to the son?

I also wondered why he has no bodyguards around him. He is 2nd in line....? Wouldn't there be a risk for him too?

I guess that one has to throw reason out of the window when watching this drama... 

Thanks @partyon!  The only reason why the crown wouldn't pass to orange hair is if the father died doing something notorious, I suppose.  

Ok, so this is one of those "don't think too hard" dramas?! :tounge_wink:

• LOL 5

On 8/10/2021 at 7:08 PM, partyon said:

Spoiler

Yul confessed his feelings to CG later and said that if his father had not died, he would have been in Shin's place.

So in the Korean system or maybe just 'Goong's' system, the crown goes laterally to the living children of the King. Shin's father became the Crown prince and then king.

But it seems if Yul's mother could pull her shenanigans and got Yul reinstated as the CP (later , sorry to first time viewers) then I don't think there is a succession rule. The 'board of directors' or Hwang Sil  could vote somebody in. 

There was no mention about Yul's mother's background except that she was a ballet dancer. She was quite condescending to CG when they met.

Edited by partyon
Please put spoilers in spoiler tag for chingus watching drama for the first time. Thanks :)
  • Like 1
  • Blob 3

On 7/30/2021 at 2:05 AM, partyon said:

[Drama 2006] Goong (Princess Hours) RE-WATCH EVENT

Chingus, welcome to the Goong (Princess Hours) re-watch event!

You may have heard of this classic k-drama - now is your chance to watch it together with your Event Organizers! Why not watch an older drama to re-live the feeling when the original Hallyu Wave was at its peak?

1. How do I register?

Raise your hand and say you're in. You can join or leave at any time just like in a regular drama thread.

2. How does it work?

Every week - we will watch 2 episodes and post right here on this thread.

You can watch at your convenience but post your responses to the episode no earlier than Monday each week.

3. I've never watched it. Can I join the event anyway?

Absolutely! 

4. What should I keep in mind?

You can watch the episodes faster than 2 episodes per week, but please keep to the episode schedule with regard to commenting.

Also, please do not add spoilers in your posts that might take away from the enjoyment of the chingus watching for the first time....

All normal k-drama thread rules apply also in this thread.

5. What is the schedule? When can I start commenting on the weekly episodes?

Aug 2 -- ep 1 & 2 (i.e. you can start commenting on episodes 1 and 2 on Monday Aug 2nd)

Aug 9 -- ep 3 & 4

Aug 16 -- ep 5 & 6

Aug 23 -- ep 7 & 8

Aug 30 -- ep 9 & 10

Sept 6 -- ep 11 & 12

Sept 13 -- ep 13 & 14

Sept 20 -- ep 15 & 16

Sept 27 -- ep 17 & 18

Oct 4 -- ep 19 & 20

Oct 11 -- ep 21 & 22

Oct 18 -- ep 23 & 24

6. Do you have any information about the drama?

Drama: Goong (Princess Hours)

Genre: comedy, romance, school, drama

Network: MBC
Episodes: 24

Director: Hwang In Roe, Kim Do Hyung

Writer: In Eun Ah

Release date: Jan 11, 2006 - Mar 30, 2006

OST: Spotify, YouTube

Official site: https://program.imbc.com/gung

Other site: https://asianwiki.com/Princess_Hours

Plot:

Feisty, bubbly, and no-nonsense, Chae Gyeong is an ordinary high school student. Until one day when she receives some unexpected news. Because of her grandfather's will, she must marry the unendurable Crown Prince Lee Shin who also happens to attend her high school. Chae Gyeong initially resists the proposal before reluctantly agreeing to marry him to help her debt-ridden family.

As she struggles to adapt herself to royal life, learning proper manners and taking on the duties of palace life while dealing with a disagreeable husband, the Crown Prince's sentimental cousin and second-in-line to the throne, Yul, steps into her life. She feels like she can rely on Yul for help and guidance but still finds it difficult not to worry about her haughty, cold-hearted husband. To help bridge this gap, the senior members of the royal family take some special measures to get them to spend the night together.

(Source: MyDramaList)

Cast:

Yoon Eun Hye - Shin Chae-Kyung

Ju Ji Hoon - Lee Shin

Kim Jeong Hoon - Lee Yul

Song Ji Hyo - Min Hyo-Rin

Lee Yoon Ji - Princess Hye-Myung

Shim Hye Jin - Lady Hwa-Yong

Park Chan Hwan - King

Yun Yoo San - Queen Min

Kim Hye Ja - Queen Mother Park

Kim Sang Joong - Lee Soo

Choi Bul Am - Emperor Seong-Jo

1.Soompi code of conduct | SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like  SOOMPI TV, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

tagging some people :

Your Event Organizers,

(who will be watching the drama too )

@confusedheart326 @agenth @Sleepy Owl @partyon @Lmangla

princess-hours-lee-yul-lee-shin-chaekyeo

hai everyone. :D from 5 to 6 episode of Goong, this time to focus on the emotions and feelings. :D from my point of view, this is significant because it's Chae Kyung first admission of having feelings for her husband Crown Prince Lee Shin. likewise, there can be parallel intimacy scenes at different location, when Shin's listening to music. he heard every words from Chae Kyung. his earbuds were in but Chae Kyung discovers that there was no music inside cd player. I really like these cute moments when someone hears something they weren't supposed to. it's worth every risk. :D there were emotional scenes at the equestrian club, Shin finally confronts his best friends about being mean to Chae Kyung. after all, he's conscious of Hyo Rin evil intention as she further whisperings Shin, Chae Kyung's not graceful and attractive in character or appearance. in my view, wondering whether Shin's really, truly falling in love with Chae Kyung?chances are, he's probably already asked a close friend for the telltale signs. and, if they're like most people, they probably responded with "you just know," "it's hard to describe" or something equally vague, all of which, needless to say, are pretty unhelpful. Shin might find himself rehashing his conversations in the middle of school, thinking about his next date days in advance or even envisioning his future together with Chae Kyung. :D Chae Kyung, who is always on his mind. :D incredibly, over half the people who watch one of these shows entirely will proceed to watch it again or several more times. I'll rewatching it. :D

S5u.gif

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

I watched ep 5 & 6 and the drama just keeps getting better.

Like @twinkle_little_star mentioned, we're seeing a prince who is becoming more aware of Chae Kyung and perhaps also starting to have some feelings for her.

She's different compared to his ex Min Hyo Rin and to his friends. She's more lively and exciting - things that Shin Goon hasn't experienced himself during his sheltered and duty filled upbringing.

On the other hand, we're seeing Chae Kyung becoming interested in knowing more about her husband. She senses that he's quite sensitive underneath his cold royal exterior, and also she's starting to have some feelings for him. Be it just friendship or love at this point. :heart:

We're starting to see the 4 main characters lives get more and more intertwined, and feelings of jealousy are starting to arise in each and every character.

Ep 5

• We saw our main couple have their first real fight. The prince called Chae Kyung a gold digger, and Prince Shin got to experience first hand what it feels like when you make your wife cry...
  • We also found out that Prince Shin has a warmer heart than we would expect, because it wasn't Yul who had suggested that he give CG chocolates and candies. Prince Shin had bought them on his own accord.
  • Shin's friends were pretty mean to our princess during Shin's birthday party on Jeju. Not only were they teasing her but Min Hyo Rin was also all over the prince. :rage:
    Shin took a very passive stance about the whole thing, which probably made our princess feel even more lonely than ever.

b355b667a060af9b003276021f7e15612558eb00
  • Chae Kyung's gift to Shin was lovely, though. She had put so much effort into designing the shoes herself. That gift came from her heart as opposed to the materialistic gifts Shin got from his friends. We saw Shin Goon being touched about the gift too.
    :heartxoxo:

Ep 6

• LOL at Chae Kyung showing the peace sign in all photos. She really is reshaping the monarchy isn't she? :D
    pricness+hours+goong+episode+6.png
  • She's a great wife though, protecting Prince Shin from being attacked with eggs.
  • The annoying part was that Yul is starting to interfere more and more in our leads' relationship. Saying that CG should leave Shin alone and that Shin would prefer to be with Hyo Rin.
    I am glad that CG stood up for herself and listened to her heart. She went to comfort Shin and he was clearly happy about that.
    And we got our first back hug! :love:
    d63742dd8824feba1cc4ce9bb59ecbec.jpg
  • We saw a lot of progress as Shin also finally stood up for his wife against his friends' vicious comments. Yay!

Looking forward to reading your comments @maribella @gm4queen @Sleepy Owl @confusedheart326 @CarolynH and everyone else.

:dorashakes:

• Love 3
  • Thanks 1