EVENT: [Drama 2006] Goong (Princess Hours) - 궁

partyon

39 minutes ago, LadySin said:

Me! Me! Me!

This was the KDrama that started it all for me!

How do I join in?

By what you just did - i.e. post here. :kiss_wink:

REMINDER TO EVERYONE:

Feel free to watch ep 1 and 2 of the drama, and starting from tomorrow (Monday) you can start commenting on the episodes right here on this thread.

:gangnamstyle:

@gm4queen @UnniSarah @CarolynH @annaR @*.:AnGeL*BAbII:.* @MayanEcho @maribella @twinkle_little_star @balletgoddess @LadySin

@agenth @confusedheart326 @Sleepy Owl @Lmangla

Let's have fun! :partyblob:

goong-001.jpg?resize=500,390&ssl=1

• Like 5
  • Love 4
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

I googled Goong's remake. Not very optimistic, if true.

CG will be played by the girl eunuch with Park Bogum 21 yrs

Shin is going to played by a 30 yr guy, tales of Nokdu

Yul by a 25 (?) no where near 19. Singer

Hyorin by a 24 year old singer. 

Isn't 30 very far from 19? and there are so many Korean actors.

An Asian may not have wrinkles or lines at 30, but the face is harder and thinner. Even Jang Nara who looks half her age has tell tale signs. Her hands. The fingers look like claws, def forty year hands.  Likewise the woman in Gangnam beauty. One week she was a single mother police I think. Then she played a 19 year old freshman. My mind couldn't make the leap. She has a tell tale sign too.

Even if their looks lie like Jang Nara, if their hands are not filmed, and they play someone much younger,

their acting could be over the top.

in Ms Monte Cristo, they were jumpy and skippy. Don't think it will be as nice as these old ones.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Insightful 1

hAPvMrl.gif

Thank you @partyon   Looking forward to watch GOONG   Feeling such nostalgia   GOONG is one of the dramas I gobbled down madly when I first started watching kdramas (late 2012)  Then (2013) some blogger shouted to watch EP1&2, Gu Family Book and the character (Wol-Ryung) and CJH walked into my life.  Such a kdrama journey ever since then

fpyeDgC.gif

mluT8VU.jpg

tNgK72J.jpg

Spoiler

IMEw5JB.jpg

:hypehype:

This was the most popular male K-pop hairstyle 10 years ago

December 23rd, 2016

Spoiler

aoeFSbW.jpg

Just 10 years ago, male K-pop idols sported funky hairstyles that you would never see today. 

Hairstyle trends in Korea and especially in K-pop change like lightning, and idols make sure to keep up and look their best. Many of the styles worn by early generations of K-Pop idols would be considered ridiculous today. One of the many strange hairstyles that was trendy at the time was the “shaggy hair”(샤기컷) or “wolf hair” (울프컷) hairstyle. This style involved layering strands of longer hair to make it look unkempt and canine-like. Although hardly anyone sports the look today, many idols could be seen with it just a decade before.

Spoiler

F6c4nng.jpg

Pre-debut Luhan rocks the “emo-boy” wolf hair look.

more photos => https://www.koreaboo.com/stories/popular-male-k-pop-hairstyle-10-years-ago/

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

14 hours ago, maribella said:

An Asian may not have wrinkles or lines at 30, but the face is harder and thinner. Even Jang Nara who looks half her age has tell tale signs. Her hands. The fingers look like claws, def forty year hands.  Likewise the woman in Gangnam beauty. One week she was a single mother police I think. Then she played a 19 year old freshman. My mind couldn't make the leap. She has a tell tale sign too.

Even if their looks lie like Jang Nara, if their hands are not filmed, and they play someone much younger,

in Ms Monte Cristo, they were jumpy and skippy. Don't think it will be as nice as these old ones.

Kim Yoo Jung is so pretty. But i doubt if she has the aegyo like CG has. She is more suitable to act as a regal princess or queen than the clumsy commoner like CG. 

I don't know..it's hard to imagine other people as these legend characters. The remake is an awful idea. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 3

25 minutes ago, mellina said:

Kim Yoo Jung is so pretty. But i doubt if she has the aegyo like CG has. She is more suitable to act as a regal princess or queen than the clumsy commoner like CG. 

I don't know..it's hard to imagine other people as these legend characters. The remake is an awful idea. 

If she's a good actress, maybe she could. But I think it's just cashing in on the popularity.

Yoon was also overdoing the young part in some instances. In many countries, 19 years would be a sophomore. Though overall it was very entertaining.

The actor playing CG's was in a some dramas and he played the loopy type too. Same as this drama. 

They are not poor people, the father had a factory. But why do they make it CG as a real clutz

not having any social grace? That was my pet peeve for the first few episodes.

• Like 2
  • Blob 3

On 7/30/2021 at 6:59 PM, *.:AnGeL*BAbII:.* said:

I remember watching this on a vcd/ dvd with dodgy subs lmao idk if it was the subs but I didn't love it like everyone else did but it was okay! worth the watch, it was the first one that I watched with a 'modern royalty' kinda theme.

what a coincidence though, I recently watched a Knowings Bro ep that had Yoon EunHye as a guest (ep 289) and one of the segments showed

Reveal hidden contents

a snippet of the YEH and JJH's kiss from Goong!

was such a throwback since I haven't seen her in so long

*** I remember I also watched this on DVD. In fact, I still have my copy of this - hahaha. I watched it mainly for JJH.  This show was adorable. It was a bit slow in the middle, though. But, the plot is well-written. I still regard this as a classical love story after more than 10 years. "Goong" is Korean for palace, so the royal home is a major setting. It is filled with Korean

culture and impressively gorgeous hairstyles.     :shaq:

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

21 hours ago, maribella said:

Oh no! This does not sound very promising. I started watching it. This is my first time watching the drama and I love the pairing. I think that's what makes this story so appealing. The two actors are just so perfect age-wise as well to portray the roles. I hope they don't ruin it with a remake. This one has a charm of its own and it will not age simply because of the two actors who made it so real and believable.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 3

On 8/1/2021 at 4:10 PM, partyon said:

By what you just did - i.e. post here. 

REMINDER TO EVERYONE:

Feel free to watch ep 1 and 2 of the drama, and starting from tomorrow (Monday) you can start commenting on the episodes right here on this thread.

@gm4queen @UnniSarah @CarolynH @annaR @*.:AnGeL*BAbII:.* @MayanEcho @maribella @twinkle_little_star @balletgoddess @LadySin

@agenth @confusedheart326 @Sleepy Owl @Lmangla

Let's have fun!

giphy.gif

nguping.gif

hai everyone. :D I've been rewatching it for 6 hours now. :D the drama Princess Hours offers a fun, humorous glimpse into the day to day life of the main couple seem like a perfect fit and their interactions are always lovely cute. :D to refresh memory, the drama Princess Hours is Joo Ji Hoon's debut on the television screen in 2006. at that time, he played Lee Shin, a young prince who was arranged by Chae Kyung played by versatile actress Yoo Eun Hye. their acting and chemistry have made Princess Hours a legendary drama. as early as episode 1 to 2, we get glimpses of vulnerability in the midst of Lee Shin's aloofness. :D the royal family's Crown Prince Lee Shin's final year of a student's high school but his grandmother decides that it's time for him to marry and involve with the decreasing popularity among the public for the Royalty. a grand wedding for the Crown Prince Lee Shin is decided to be the best publicity move to improve the image of the Royalty and at the same time prepare Crown Prince Lee Shin for immediate succession. Lee Shin's bride has already been choosen by his deceased grandfather, the former King Seongjo. after getting rejected by his ballerina girlfriend Hyo Rin starred by Song Ji Hyo, he decides to proceed with his arranged marriage to female lead Chae Kyung an ordinary girl. she's accidentally heard Crown Prince and Hyo Rin talked about marriage proposal. :D besides that, Lee Shin's cousin Lee Yul has been living in England for 14 years apparently he's returning home to Korea and he become Chae Kyung classmate that just happens to go to the same exclusive art school. Chae Kyung's perfectly amiable. she's the kind of girl you might have a little chat with about this and that. :D Chae Kyung and Crown Prince Shin spend morning chattering away. :D I can't wait to watch their characters they seem always very approachable, their relationship appear to developing deeper feelings, a series of scandals are exposed to the public right after the pair were officially announced married. :D I must say, watching Princess Hours 2006 was the perfect classic drama into my ethereal night out on the town. to be continued episode 3. :D

giphy-1.gif

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

:waves:guys! Wave to @partyon chingu! :lol:

I've already watched first 2 episodes of Goong! I haven't seen the lead cast in any other drama before. But I am catching up with everyone! I like it that the female lead is all funny! The prince is so tall as always! :D So the leads were meant to be together since their childhood?? I am looking forward for the next episodes!

Loving it so far! :dorashakes:

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

3 hours ago, twinkle_little_star said:

I've been rewatching it for 6 hours now.

6 hours? woah!

just started ep 1 and was playing on my phone at the same time. for a sec, thought I was watching some ghost drama when they showed the grandmother in the dark. umm, what is with that creepy music. and the news from the doctor sounded more like "I am sorry ma'am but grandfather is possessed by some creepy ghost" -- yea, no one sounds like that kind of doctor. and what is with grandmother immediately worrying about line of succession. if it is a constitutional monarchy, surely, there is time for the prince to grow up a bit more. not like the country would fall into disrepair if a kid heir doesn't get popped out soon... ah, but I digress. this is obviously a manga written for a different audience and I am just an ajummah who is more excited that I got free turns for 4 hours now and so it means I am going to be playing endless loop of match 3. 

• LOL 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

1 minute ago, Ameera Ali said:

Am I only one who watching it for first time :loolz:

Nah, me too. I am in love with the two leads. I don't like the FL's parents. I have a feeling the ML likes / cares about the FL. At least not indifferent towards her as her got her some chocolates by making an excuse and saying how it was Yul who had sent it to her.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Blob 1

ep 1 thoughts ~ like the girl in glasses giving wicked comments. royalty are nothing but a drain on taxes. hahahahah.... yea, common refrain from many. and I remember being confused many years ago by the set up of this school. is it a college? is it a school? why are they specializing in a "major" -- is the korean high school system different? 

what is that ballet teacher saying -- for every 0.1 gram, you have to exercise an hour?! horror,:expressionless:  lady, are you trying to get these girls to starve or get some eating disorder? shaking my head. 

okay, that is strange, why would you have such a fancy mirror in a school hallway. that just looks like an accident waiting to happen with students tripping over it. why not have a normal mirror attached to the wall in the bathroom? and why is the fire extinguisher on the floor? isn't it supposed to be in a proper case on the wall. for a fancy school catering to rich and famous, decor is bad and just waiting for students to trip over and fall. tsk tsk. 

everyone else is wearing knee length skirt. so why is the female lead wearing some hybrid fashion where her skirt is really short and gym pants on bottom? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

20 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

@partyon so the prince grow beautifully

Yeah, it's hard to believe that young scrawny prince got transformed into glorious abs... :emmm: ... I mean a glorious oppa. :love:

Let's take a look at the transformation:

From 2006:

fe2f1ed7c678591b8230517f6583053814ad1877

to 2020:

tenor.gif?itemid=18486939

@agenth approves too. :loveu:

@Lmangla approves of the bathroom fittings. :joy:

PS. Putting together a poll of episodes 1&2...

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

46 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

ep 1 thoughts ~ like the girl in glasses giving wicked comments. royalty are nothing but a drain on taxes. hahahahah.... yea, common refrain from many. and I remember being confused many years ago by the set up of this school. is it a college? is it a school? why are they specializing in a "major" -- is the korean high school system different? 

what is that ballet teacher saying -- for every 0.1 gram, you have to exercise an hour?! horror,:expressionless:  lady, are you trying to get these girls to starve or get some eating disorder? shaking my head. 

okay, that is strange, why would you have such a fancy mirror in a school hallway. that just looks like an accident waiting to happen with students tripping over it. why not have a normal mirror attached to the wall in the bathroom? and why is the fire extinguisher on the floor? isn't it supposed to be in a proper case on the wall. for a fancy school catering to rich and famous, decor is bad and just waiting for students to trip over and fall. tsk tsk. 

everyone else is wearing knee length skirt. so why is the female lead wearing some hybrid fashion where her skirt is really short and gym pants on bottom? 

One benefit to royals is I suppose the draw for tourists lol. 

is this supposed to be a fancy school? I thought it was a normal one, albeit one that had some chaebol heirs + Prince. But when they said look, the Prince is amongst all the heirs, there were just 3-4 other dudes, who not-so-coincidentally had the same hairstyle as he did. LOL. At least he didn't go Gu Jun Pyo on them. 

And it's annoying how the girls scream every time Prince arrives to school - so basically he never goes to class then? 

I guess this school is a special sort of high school, one that allows you to declare a major, so it would be like, graduating but with skills in the art you want. Then again, I am no expert.

1 hour ago, Ameera Ali said:

Am I only one who watching it for first time 

nah, me as well

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

more on ep 1:

no hot bodyguards? 

why does everyone in the palace talk like they are on anti-depressants? 

why is the grandmother such a heavy head piece in modern times? won't you get a headache? why not be cool and just have a short hairdo? 

why is a drama about a bunch of teenagers seem so depressing? 

most interesting bit -- she wasn't actually intended for prince but for cousin yul. 

what is with the weird choice of music? sounds Irish? 

kind of disappointed that she didn't break the vase or the prince didn't walk in as she caught it. kekeke, that would have been funny. 

what is with the teddy bears at the end - did those sell a lot when the drama aired? chingus, do you think stuffed toyes are cute? I don't know -- they creep me out, thanks to horror movies. :sweatingbullets:

19 minutes ago, partyon said:

@Lmangla approves of the bathroom fittings

all I can think is those tiles are really clean. no grime. what cleaner did they use? 

• LOL 5

12 minutes ago, partyon said:

Yeah, it's hard to believe that young scrawny prince got transformed into glorious abs... :emmm: ... I mean a glorious oppa. :love:

maybe because he didn’t get beaten up by the lead woman  in ep 1 he grow up to be gorgeous :joy: 

m5QH0Tt.gif

• LOL 5
  • Awesome 1