QUICK POLL: Strong Female Leads in Dramas

partyon

QUICK POLL: Strong Female Leads in Dramas  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Which strong female leads are your favorite / do you feel the most inspired by? (choose as many as you like)

• Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo - Kim Bok Joo (Lee Sung Kyung)
    • Mother - Kang Soo Jin (Lee Bo Young)
    • Strong Woman Do Bong Soon - Do Bong Soon (Park Bo Young)
    • Search WWW - the 3 female leads (Im Soo Jung, Lee Da Hee, Jeon Hye Jin)
    • Graceful Family - Mo Seok Hee (Im Soo Hyang)
    • Mr. Sunshine - Go Ae Shin (Kim Tae Ri)
    • Hyena - Jung Geum Ja (Kim Hye Soo)
    • Nobody Knows - Cha Young Jin (Kim Seo Hyung)
    • Oh My General (c-drama) - Ye Zhao (Ma Sichun)
    • Second 20s - Ha No Ra (Choi Ji Woo)
    • Crash Landing On You - Yoon Se Ri (Son Ye Jin)
    • Hotel Del Luna - Jang Man Wol (IU)
    • It's Okay To Not Be Okay - Ko Moon Young (Seo Ye Ji)
    • Doctors - Yoo Hye Jung (Park Shin Hye)
    • Fight For My Way - Choi Ae Ra (Kim Ji Won)
    • Descendants of the Sun - Kang Mo Yeon (Song Hye Kyo)
    • The Promise - Lee Na Yeon (Lee Yu Ri)
    • The King 2 Hearts - Kim Hang Ah (Ha Ji Won)
    • The Great Queen Seondeok - Queen Seondeok (Lee Yo Won)
    • The Story of Minglan (c-drama) - Sheng Minlan (Zhao Liying)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/09/2021 at 09:00 PM

1 hour ago, partyon said:

I remember Healer even though it's many years ago since I watched it. PMY's character was quite independent if I recall correctly? :kiss_wink:

The Healer ahjumma was top notch too :glasses:

Anyone remember her?

Very independent (the total opposite of a damsel in distress) and fearless. Pmy gave that character effortless charm aswell.

Haha I loved the ahjumma esp her deadpan humour and wacky wadrobe (my low key inspo for my wfh outfit :p). It was refreshing seeing an older lady in a whizzy hacker role. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting poll!  I chose the characters from Mother and Hyena.  What bothers me about a lot of the female characters is they start strong, then end up weak, either getting injured and/or sick.  They never seem to recover and allow the male character to take over and protect them.  If I remember correctly, the female character in both Mother and Hyena stay strong throughout the drama.  They don't need a man; they can handle whatever comes by themselves!

4 hours ago, partyon said:

With long, how long do you mean, chingu? :scream:

Like "Man in a Veil" long?

Now that you have mentioned it, l think Yu Ra is very strong in an underhanded way. :tounge_wink: :joy:  I can't vote for YJ, unless, it's for the biggest idiot.

I like Na Yeon hero, take no prisoners. Always my favourite.

Jang  Nara in VIP is good. I d

remember she is married to a sleaze ball but is strong throughout. But it shows too much of the two bit mistress and the guy.

Miss M, still a bit early?

Nam ji hyun's performance in 365 repeat the year is another worthy contender. She's the embodiment of a strong character who is extremely resourceful and had really good detective skills despite not being a cop. I also liked that she did the saving. Lee see young in Kairos is amazing too. I love it when actresses star in darker roles as gives them more opportunities to showcase their acting, not that there's anything wrong with starring in fluffy type shows. 

For me it's Shen Minglan from Story of Minglan.  She is such an interesting character.  From a young age she had to learn to survive and eventually thrive in a very difficult family.

I measure all of my dramas by this one.  It's hands down one of my favorites and I'm so grateful I took a chance and watched it.

Hello everyone!

Thank you so much @partyon as always for tagging me on our community poll! :heart:

But I am so embarrassed to say that I haven't watched any of other dramas except It's Okay to not be Okay:joy: I really loved Seo Ye Ji's character there.

WVQy6TAY7Qekppgaes5Lr1hNanO5XqAWVK7-aXiY

And are all those women in the poll list strong?? This is something I love about K-dramaland. It makes a woman go independent rather than depend on a man. :)

Can't wait for the final results!

Thanks for making this lovely poll @partyon @Sleepy Owl @Lmangla

:biubiu:

12 hours ago, partyon said:

Any dramas you've watched that have inspiring and strong women in your opinion? :kiss_wink:

Setting aside FL from the poll and from all posts here,

let me add a few.

Oh Mi Joo from RUN ON 

spacer.png

Lee Ji An from MY MISTER

spacer.png

Kim Eun Joo from MY UNFAMILIAR FAMILY 

spacer.png

Sad that I have to hide the other FLs

Cha Soo hyun from SIGNAL

Spoiler

spacer.png

Byun Hye Young from FATHER IS STRANGE

Spoiler

spacer.png

Go Eun Byul from SCHOOL 2015

Spoiler

spacer.png

Goo Sae Ra from INTO THE RING 

Spoiler

spacer.png

Am sure there is more into the list ! 

looking forward to all the posts here !

:heartxoxo:

My voting summary:

• kim bok joo and yoon seri are hilarious and strong - loved their characters so a couple of votes there.
  • do bong soon is literally strong (and loved how the male main character was so into her hehe)
  • kang mo yeon cos I loved DotS and the pairings
  • also gave a vote to jang man wol as well just cos I like IU cos she is sooooooo pretty and her outfits in the show were also gorgeous... I wouldn't say her character in Hotel Del Luna stood out to me that much though

anddd Happy International Women's Day!

14 hours ago, Butterfly_hugs said:

Haha I loved the ahjumma esp her deadpan humour and wacky wadrobe (my low key inspo for my wfh outfit :p). It was refreshing seeing an older lady in a whizzy hacker role. 

She was great! She looked really cool also when she was knitting. :D Her outfits - lol :D 

90a19c5e05b31ab16f5b5dd4aeed18dd.jpg

cr. to owner

13 hours ago, CarolynH said:

Interesting poll!  I chose the characters from Mother and Hyena.  What bothers me about a lot of the female characters is they start strong, then end up weak, either getting injured and/or sick.  They never seem to recover and allow the male character to take over and protect them.  If I remember correctly, the female character in both Mother and Hyena stay strong throughout the drama.  They don't need a man; they can handle whatever comes by themselves!

I agree about this. Many times the characters start out strong but weaken as the drama progresses. I also voted for Mother and Hyena - both women stayed strong until the very end. :kiss_wink:

11 hours ago, maribella said:

Now that you have mentioned it, l think Yu Ra is very strong in an underhanded way. :tounge_wink: :joy:  I can't vote for YJ, unless, it's for the biggest idiot.

@Lmangla sweetie is already planning a "biggest idiot" poll. Yu Ra is on the list - no worries. :joy:

7 hours ago, gm4queen said:

And are all those women in the poll list strong?? This is something I love about K-dramaland. It makes a woman go independent rather than depend on a man. :)

We tried to choose women who were strong in different ways. Some are physically strong, others have a cool and strong personality, some overcome really huge issues. There is a description of each woman's strength in the first post of this thread. Feel free to read through it, if you'd like more information about them. :kiss_wink:

5 hours ago, yoeda said:

I'm hoping for Kim Mi Young in Fated To Love You but there's none. She was epitome of strong woman who evolved from being a post it girl and had amazing inner strength.

Fated to Love You was on my list, but since we could only choose 20 dramas, we had to drop it off the list

We EOs did speak about the fact that Jang Nara normally chooses strong female characters when she signs up for dramas. If you take a look at her dramas, a majority of them have showcased strong women. Look at VIP, The Last Empress, Bright Girl's Success, Go Back Couple, Oh My Baby etc. :kiss_wink:

Jang Nara is nowadays an expert in slapping her drama husbands, like this one in VIP

5-khoanh-khac-bung-no-nhat-cua-jang-nara

cr. to owner

Looks like Kim Hang Ah from The King 2 Hearts is leading :love: She's one of my favorites too. :kiss_wink:

Ha Ji Won was sensational as a North Korean officer who moved to South Korea to get engaged to the weak playboy Crown Prince.

20120328_hajiwon_north.jpg?w=584

d0339e9092a0eaa18eb92c0387c9b66a.jpg

hajiwon-tk2h.jpg

Looked almost like poor Lee Seung Gi had a hard time keeping up with her :joy:

For me its Bong Soon (the Height haha) and Ku Moon Young (Bluntness) 

KMY has been a journey I love, not many identified with her, I did on some level though. She broke the Kdrama stereotypes wherein the Guy is wrist grabbing the Girl , here it was Opposite for the first half hahaha.

Bong Soon is often ignored due to her height but if I keep away her Supernatural Powers she was someone who wanted to be an artist but was reduced to be a security guard , I can't pinpoint what I loved about her but Her in general along with my Love AH Min Hyuk (I want a BF like him) does tickle my fantasy.

Special Mention to Ma Sichun in Oh my General and Zhao Liying in Story of Minglan , these 2 always play the stronger female leads than their counterparts , I am not sure if I were to ever see them being Cutesy and dumb like others what will I do lol.

2 minutes ago, madmad min said:

Bong Soon is often ignored due to her height but if I keep away her Supernatural Powers she was someone who wanted to be an artist but was reduced to be a security guard , I can't pinpoint what I loved about her but Her in general along with my Love AH Min Hyuk (I want a BF like him) does tickle my fantasy.

@madmad min Many of us want a BF like oppa. :love:

The height difference was memorable, but they were so cute anyway. :kiss_wink:

90b4efa276b9b06566172e5144c45719.png

Archived