QUICK POLL: Strong Female Leads in Dramas

partyon

QUICK POLL: Strong Female Leads in Dramas  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Which strong female leads are your favorite / do you feel the most inspired by? (choose as many as you like)

• Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo - Kim Bok Joo (Lee Sung Kyung)
    • Mother - Kang Soo Jin (Lee Bo Young)
    • Strong Woman Do Bong Soon - Do Bong Soon (Park Bo Young)
    • Search WWW - the 3 female leads (Im Soo Jung, Lee Da Hee, Jeon Hye Jin)
    • Graceful Family - Mo Seok Hee (Im Soo Hyang)
    • Mr. Sunshine - Go Ae Shin (Kim Tae Ri)
    • Hyena - Jung Geum Ja (Kim Hye Soo)
    • Nobody Knows - Cha Young Jin (Kim Seo Hyung)
    • Oh My General (c-drama) - Ye Zhao (Ma Sichun)
    • Second 20s - Ha No Ra (Choi Ji Woo)
    • Crash Landing On You - Yoon Se Ri (Son Ye Jin)
    • Hotel Del Luna - Jang Man Wol (IU)
    • It's Okay To Not Be Okay - Ko Moon Young (Seo Ye Ji)
    • Doctors - Yoo Hye Jung (Park Shin Hye)
    • Fight For My Way - Choi Ae Ra (Kim Ji Won)
    • Descendants of the Sun - Kang Mo Yeon (Song Hye Kyo)
    • The Promise - Lee Na Yeon (Lee Yu Ri)
    • The King 2 Hearts - Kim Hang Ah (Ha Ji Won)
    • The Great Queen Seondeok - Queen Seondeok (Lee Yo Won)
    • The Story of Minglan (c-drama) - Sheng Minlan (Zhao Liying)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/09/2021 at 09:00 PM

Quick Poll: STRONG FEMALE LEADS IN DRAMAS

tenor.gif?itemid=13611320

Monday March 8th is International Women's Day. :partyblob:

Inspired by that and by a lovely PM from @kismet22 , we Event Organizers decided to put together a poll to celebrate strong female leads.

Now we know that there are tons of sensational female leads in k-dramas, c-dramas, TW-dramas, etc. but due to this being a Quick Poll we had to narrow down the choices to 20. As usual, feel free to leave a comment below and tell us which women you feel inspired by!

badass+guns.gif?format=500w

Below is a list of the female characters in the poll and a short description of them:

Spoiler

1. Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo
Kim Bok Joo (Lee Sung Kyung) is a young woman chasing her dream of weightlifting on an athlete college campus. She has an ambitious and outgoing personality, and will stand up for injustice. She does not hesitate to beat guys up if they provoke her.

2. Mother
Kang Soo Jin (Lee Bo Young) is a teacher who realizes that one of her students is being abused at home by her family. She makes an impulsive decision to kidnap the child and attempts to become her mother all the while on the run.

3. Strong Woman Do Bong Soon

Do Bong Soon (Park Bo Young) was born with superhuman strength. Her dream is to create a video game with herself as the main character. She desperately wants to become a delicate and elegant woman but thanks to her strength, she gets a job as bodyguard to a rich heir (who is the CEO of a gaming company) instead...

4. Search WWW

The story of three women in their late thirties — Bae Ta Mi (Im Soo Jung), Scarlett (Lee Da Hee) and Song Ga Kyeong (Jeon Hye Jin) — who work in the top two competitive web portal companies. Instead of backstabbing and lies, the three characters stick together and empower each other.

5. Graceful Family

Mo Seok Hee (Im Soo Hyang) returns to Korea from a 15 year exile in the US, determined to find out who murdered her mother. She is intelligent with a big personality and she never backs down from a challenge. Despite her brash ways, this heiress always manages to own it like the boss she is, while of course looking fabulous!

6. Mr. Sunshine

Go Ae Shin (Kim Tae Ri) is the daughter of an aristocrat. She’s also a resistance fighter who works for a cause she believes in. Willing to put her life on the line, she fights for her beliefs to the very end and shows that whatever a man can do, she can do it better.

7. Hyena

Jung Geum Ja (Kim Hye Soo) is a fearless lawyer who crosses the boundaries of law and lawlessness, justice and injustice, ethics and corruption. She is a true hyena that chases after money and success no matter what it takes....

8. Nobody Knows

Cha Young Jin (Kim Seo Hyung) is a detective who is haunted by the death of her friend who was murdered 19 years ago. Years later, the serial killer is back to taunt her, but she won't stop until he's caught. She shows extreme courage, resilience and strength.

9. Oh My General (c-drama)

Ye Zhao (Ma Sichun) is a woman who is disguised as a boy and raised as a warrior. She is given the title of general, and her skills and bravery earn her the respect of her fellow men. She is the first one to run to a fight instead of from it.

10. Second 20s

Ha No Ra (Choi Ji Woo) dreamed of becoming a dancer, but became pregnant at age 19 and had to quit school and get married. Her life revolved around being a housewife + mother. Now 38 years old and ready to divorce, No Ra is diagnosed with terminal cancer. She decides to go back to school and experience college life for the first time.

11. Crash Landing On You

Yoon Se Ri (Son Ye Jin) is a heiress with a troubled family history as she is her father's illegitimate child. She is an independent businesswoman who runs her own successful company. She grows into a person who's more mindful of the people around her and who is willing taking risks.

12. Hotel Del Luna

Jang Man Wol (IU) is the beautiful but moody owner of Hotel del Luna for 1,300 years. Initially condemned to be the owner of the hotel to atone for killing many people, she is known for her love of gaudy and elaborate outfits, as well as champagne. She is a woman who doesn’t need a man to take care of her!

13. It's Okay To Not Be Okay

Ko Moon Young (Seo Ye Ji) comes off as cold, detached and controlling, but she knows what she wants, no matter what people say. She is known for her impeccable fashion sense - this matches her fiery attitude. She's not afraid and stands up for herself and, on occasion, others.

14. Doctors

Yoo Hye Jung (Park Shin Hye) is a high-school delinquent transformed into a successful neurosurgeon. She is not only book-smart, but also work-smart, and street-smart too. She is honest, compassionate and not easily intimidated.

15. Fight for My Way

Choi Ae Ra (Kim Ji Won) is working as a department store employee but dreams of becoming an announcer. She keeps on striving for her dream to come true. She stays true to herself, refusing to be dampened by the words and actions of others while staying spirited, strong and sassy.

16. Descendants of the Sun

Dr. Kang Mo Yeon (Song Hye Kyo) is a cardiothoracic surgeon who works at Haesung Hospital. She is a beautiful, strong and assertive woman who believes that competence should outweigh connections but must confront the harsh reality that she cannot get anywhere without connections. She stands firmly by her principles, though she is not afraid to admit her mistakes.

17. The Promise

Lee Na Yeon / Baek Do Hee (Lee Yoo Ri) is the ultimate revenge drama heroine for many daily drama viewers. She is focused, relentless and smart in how she plans her revenge. No random forgiveness or brain transplant -- this is a woman who has no intention on turning back from the path she has chosen.

18. The King 2 Hearts

Captain Kim Hang Ah (Ha Ji Won) is a North Korean Special Forces officer and known to be an "Iron Lady" in the military. It takes a lot of strength to suffer hardships, but she does it with grace, a sassy attitude, and a strength that can’t be contested, even by the most macho of men.

19. The Great Queen Seondeok

Queen Seondeok (Lee Yo Won) is a charismatic, yet solitary ruler. She was known as the first female ruler in Korean history. She encouraged a renaissance in thought, literature, and the arts in Silla. Queen Seondeok was described as "generous, benevolent, wise, and smart"

20. Story of Minglan (c-drama)

Minglan (Zhao Liying) is a quiet heroine but one that cannot be underestimated. She is quick-witted and her keen ability to analyze people and situations serves her well in navigating many of the problems she faces.

Happy voting! The poll is open for 48 hours! :kiss_wink:

Oh-My-General-gif.gif

(All gif credits go to the owners of them).

Your Event Organizers @partyon @Lmangla @Sleepy Owl

tagging:

Spoiler

@madmad min@choco milo@Nikaa94 @sadthe1st  @reasilvi@dolorisbrady@JoannaID@Fangirl22@willenette@rocher22@NPR@africandramalover@Berou@Itsmylifeboss@kokodus@k8telyn@jjjeslyn @MY15 @reiko@lucia704@The.Lannister@Chibi8535@croquembouche2018@wze2702@Rose Sam@rubyminho@ElectricHearts@BinJinBest@QueenieBee@Babam@Piggycloy@SuZy Leoo @Smileforu @Min2206@kismet22 @rita96 @Missprincesa@Miadee@stellalafemme     @Asgarla@vangsweetie637@Indianfan@haha1999@BinjinFangirl@ocean90@pretty_JULY@Shining tiara@im0202@Thong Thin@*.:AnGeL*BAbII:.*@Jillia@serenilmauve @vajandi@joccu@tas82@nina_mitrokhina 5misnina@Y.Q.@Gisell Gisell   @Jeannie@Sakurafairy@kdramagrandma@gnyaa@hahanzyy@superspace@Kool@audreyng205@Gina Nazario@Pyar@Ding77@gtLmh0622@Jiyuu@parkeunbinchoidaniel@@sinhvichuchu@Anjalifairy@celebrianna   @Tracie13@rukizie   @hushh@kaykafisyah@cafe99 @danisnk222  @liv_well@Romance Tag@kittyna@joybran@liongurl@Edgar Pordwed@LiB for Velvet@samzi85@SC2019@Lmangla@Biology Lesson@azureblue7@Prettysup@Ayame@yoeda@widala@larus@msdot@dramafan33@izziemazzie@ELFlamingo@CarolynH@Hohoho@Sleepy Owl@twinkle_little_star@CallieP@gm4queen@Yippeun_eonnie@Joanna Alfson@M6M  @Skyline@kireeti2@naul@pompyavi@graceyco@JJS's Fan-atics@leeminhosny@morningdew@ssteph@flutterby06@kembie@tinatrix236@firebabe@inspiredbyshj@Mikayla Holloway@weirdnshort@sakurapotter@gy_pyang_gy@katakwasabi@soojeons@SophieH@Minbongyi@Time loop@4evrkdrama @Alice Wonderland @Ameera Ali @ktcjdrama@nrllee @TiNaDo @UnniSarah @strongtower @PeVe @Nodame @faithwalker @booha @iksunijini @twinkle_little_star @forme26 fi @YongZura⁷ᴮᴱ @maribella @syntyche @Wuzetian @Dal-A @Sejabin @Mocharel @westley @maria_m2me @Adwina Oltariani @pauliza @Lj @princessaves @mocha @valinor500 @Spring Mood @FanMode101 @Soar Wi @Lyricalstars @agenth @anyeze @Siomara Brito @Aolian @MayanEcho @fragola @ncly @Olea @Denali @hola2jin @SCSfanz @selen4ever @xoxogkxoxo @debbsthebee @deborahkim153 @MrEildriz @makyno @tsukino7 @airgelaal @NoonaCaana @lebeaucouple @blingbling @billroberts @miraliyana90 @xylaxyly @charray @usadango @sora sora @eLizza @Ms.sunshine @vangie_bicera @tothestars @pad-hari @Lavenderpurple @Naty828 @tofumochu @Yinye @BINGO_O @annaR @Jinnie @Firefly @CA C @widala @Lorena @JumboQueen @adzukibean_rcl @SophieH @Poppy517 @Heretorant @gutterland @Phoenix26 @JoannaID @Nikaa94 @lexicon @mademoisellesia @Areumdaun @extrodinairey @Senseandstyle @MineunGoals @erfatm @pixie0622 @asiaren @Poppy517 @Alila N @goldsh _216 @binderclips123 @blackberrypie @SweetLullaby @doralok @belena @NYdoc @HappyForLove @tothestars @Jernie @Ikutaathu @SexyDolceVita @Polka Dot @goshhh @Blithenostalgia @brooksmom   

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, brooksmom said:

I can't believe I haven't watched any except second twenty's. They put that woman in a high school uniform to signify that she was back in college. Or did I get that wrong. 

I don't think she was wearing a uniform in the actual drama? Then again it was so long ago since I watched it, I don't remember much. :D

Any dramas you've watched that have inspiring and strong women in your opinion? :kiss_wink:

Ooh I forgot, she is still my favourite "strong" woman .... It's a long series ..  The Flower in Prison (started from in the womb..).  She's strong in everything ...even "stronger" than her supposed partner (I remembered of being so angry at the male lead character ha ha)

bb306eb10bd3c428510dd116992251b1.jpg

The2BFlower2Bin2BPrison2B9.jpg

I was in awed when she was "fighting" a real fight.  Okay, that's all... going back to RL activities.

Credit to the owner

From this list I have only seen, my 2cents (very cheap thoughts):

• Half of Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo: To be honest the female lead character annoyed me A LOT. For example, the way she ate. It should mean she would pick a lot more muscle than her lean, dainty figure suggests - I'm not saying she should have been obese, rather that her portrayal as weightlifter was unbelievable. And for some reason she always gets whiny female roles. Sorry!
  • Mr. Sunshine: I liked this versatile Ae Shin - she wielded the power she had, was far smarter than the men she encountered - yes I pick her.
  • Hyena: Geum Ja knows how to fight dirty, and she will lower herself and do things, just for success. And she also knows how to be kind, without being teary-eyed. Her portrayal impressed me a lot, especially when finding out about her past. How she refused to forgive her "father". Yes woman yes. You do not need to forgive. My vote goes to her.
  • Nobody Knows: unfortunately the series was a bit boring for me, so I skipped a lot, and ended up dropping. Sorry. 
  • Second 20s: Half of the series she was too timid for me, always trying to be a peacemaker, and doing things for her husband, despite his bad treatment of her. It boiled my blood and the male lead wasn't exactly charming at first, either. 
  • Crash Landing On You: Have seen only half, and forgotten about it. Yes, kick me so I need to rewatch lol.
  • Hotel Del Luna: Same here, even though I love IU's acting.
  • It's Okay To Not Be Okay: Here's a woman, who is successful and does what it takes - and temperamental, but not apologetic. This kind of portrayal is refreshing. Voted.
  • Doctors: I only saw a couple of episodes and I really didn't like the character of Hye Jung. She was unnecessarily violent most of the time, even once she grew up to be a doctor. 
  • Descendants of the Sun: a very cliché romantic series, where I don't find the heroine particularly interesting

On my watchlist: 

• Mother: interesting storyline!
  • Strong Woman Do Bong Soon: has been recommended to me. Now it's a problem due to the Ji Soo scandal...
  • Search WWW: high-tech and women in power - need I say more?
  • Fight for my Way: After watching Lovestruck in the City, this series has been recommended to me
  • The King 2 Hearts: One of the oldies I haven't gotten a chance to watch yet, even though this series also was recommended to me...

So Chingus, I have chosen many characters here, but here are my top three favorite strong FLs.

Queen Seondeok

For me, the first option will always be Queen Seondeok. Not as a character, but as a historical figure, and the funny thing is I am yet to watch the drama, and I will surely watch it this year (it has been in my watchlist for years now). Coming back to Queen Seondeok, being the first reigning/ruling Empress in the history of Korea, who being the first led the way for some more in the history of Shilla. She became Queen during the turbulent times, faced a big crisis (Bidam's rebellion) and actually led the way to the Unification of the three Korean Kingdoms. She didn't participate in it of course, it was her nephew who did it, but the direction she led Shilla in led to that. So I highly admire her as a historical figure. 

288a523df5b57b54810c61e49169fac0.jpg

Go Ae Shin - Mr. Sunshine

The other one that I watched and admired a lot was "Go Ae Shin" from Mr. Sunshine. Being a noble woman, fighting for her country and she believes is right. This is what you get if you mess up with her, and even if you are the most feared character of the drama

sunshine-19-00009.jpg

Cha Young Jin - Nobody Knows

You rarely see a female centric psychological thrillers and here we have a detective who is the team leader of a crimes unit department team. The best thing about her character was apart from being smart, and best at her work, she was a warm person to other characters of the story despite having a sad past. We usually see the main character in such dramas to be a cold person, and not really click well with others, but here it was different. Her team members always looked up to her and trusted her leadership, and the characters especially the students were guided by her. She will not remain as my favorite female characters, but as one of the best characters I have seen in this genre too. 

cha-young-jin-coat.jpg

Apart from them, I did choose DOTS, CLOY, Its Okay Not To Be Okay, Hotel Del Luna and Graceful Families, and they all had one thing in common. The FLs didn't really rely on the ML, they were the best in their fields, and played an equally important roles in the dramas. Another thing common is, that they actually saved the ML in some point of the drama too. They stood up for what they thought was right and went with it. I will write some posts on their individual FLs later on. 

Apart from them, the remaining dramas are mostly the ones which are in my watchlist and I need to watch them. If I were to choose one which I will want to watch here the most, it will be "Mother". 

Anyway Chingus, will be looking forward to your posts, and will come back with my post on the remaining favorite strong FLs of mine :approves:

1 hour ago, agenth said:

On my watchlist: 

• Mother: interesting storyline!
  • Strong Woman Do Bong Soon: has been recommended to me. Now it's a problem due to the Ji Soo scandal...
  • Search WWW: high-tech and women in power - need I say more?
  • Fight for my Way: After watching Lovestruck in the City, this series has been recommended to me
  • The King 2 Hearts: One of the oldies I haven't gotten a chance to watch yet, even though this series also was recommended to me...

I have watched 4 of the 5 dramas on your watchlist. Here are some thoughts :kiss_wink:

• Mother: Have a box of tissues at hand 'cause this drama is a tearjerker. It's awesome, beautiful and inspiring, but you'll cry. A lot. :bawling:
  • Strong Woman Do Bong Soon: funny and heartwarming. Bong Soon doesn't want to be strong - she wants to be feminine but not only her physical strength, but her pure heart is what make oppa's (Park Hyung Sik) heart beat faster when he's around her:wub:
    Also, she carries him around like he's a feather when he gets hurt.  :D
    original.gif
    cr. to owner
  • Search WWW: this drama wasn't dull. Especially Scarlett left an impression on me.
    giphy.gif
    cr. to owner
  • The King 2 Hearts: this is an older drama, but a classic. Ha Ji Won and Lee Seung Gi played their roles well. Ha Ji Won's character saved his crown prince character from harm's way quite a few times 
48 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Would like to have seen Go Hae-ri  (Bae Suzy) from VAGABOND here ... Just saying

What made her such an inspiring character? :kiss_wink: I haven't watched the drama myself.

1 hour ago, YongZura⁷ᴮᴱ said:

Ooh I forgot, she is still my favourite "strong" woman .... It's a long series ..  The Flower in Prison (started from in the womb..).  She's strong in everything ...even "stronger" than her supposed partner (I remembered of being so angry at the male lead character ha ha)

With long, how long do you mean, chingu? :scream:

Like "Man in a Veil" long?

sesame street fainting GIF

@partyon No. of episodes: 51 :D

The thread is still here: 

Well as usual, there will be a + and a - but as for the character I really love her character  :wub:  I'll just share three video clips of the drama:

A teenager

I love the transition

A woman

Credit to MBC

15 minutes ago, Butterfly_hugs said:

PMY's healer characters a good shout too 

I remember Healer even though it's many years ago since I watched it. PMY's character was quite independent if I recall correctly? :kiss_wink:

The Healer ahjumma was top notch too :glasses:

idreamed-healer-ahjumma.jpg

Anyone remember her?

20 minutes ago, partyon said:
35 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Would like to have seen Go Hae-ri  (Bae Suzy) from VAGABOND here ... Just saying

What made her such an inspiring character? :kiss_wink: I haven't watched the drama myself.

She is a female NIS agent, trying to prove herself to an increasingly skeptical group of fellow male agents + carrying the burden of living up to her fathers legacy (military hero).

She fights through adversity, deception, betrayal, and loss - at the end, ultimately believing a man she loved is dead ( he isn't )

It is an engaging drama worth watching, but without a second season, the ending is the definition of infuriating as NOTHING has been resolved.  When I first watched it, I thought the last episode was a great cliffhanger for a second season ... only to find out there was no second season - almost threw a chair at my monitor :rolleyes:

Haven't watched any of the choices! :sweatingbullets: But noting these shows having strong women for future watching. 

There's one show I'm liking, even if until now it is still not subbed. It's the Cdrama Miss S, whose FL Ma Yili as Su Wenli is portraying a socialite but a smart cookie who can give detectives a run for their money. She went back to Shanghai to prevent the early release of her sister's murderer. The show is a remake of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.

Bonus: the fabulous dresses! :wub:

OiqYtSEx9NMm4zwW6LFlLcIPX7l8DEluA11_LU2l

The actress herself is considered a role model and has been independently supporting herself from when she was 15.

https://www.thatsmags.com/shanghai/post/29385/5-fast-facts-about-chinese-actress-role-model-ma-yili

I voted Ko Moon Young - It's okay not to be okay, because I was overall impressed by the drama. I loved the trio and would have voted for all 3 of them! :P 

I am missing Bai Feng Jiu from C drama Eternal love of dream, :( 

She's sweet, able, courageous and loyal to the ones she loves. She not a "typical" princess and sure as heck not a weakling. 

Gundega (Rouzmary) (Latvia)'s review of Three Lives Three Worlds, the  Pillow Book I

@rocher22 Chingu, I think "Six Flying Dragons" had one of the most strong women in the drama. All the female characters involved were among the best in what they did, even better the guys in that field. 

1. Boon Yi 

51c23c5a6dd88b7a8df5a700d2932c21.jpg

She was a born leader, and we see how she was being called "General" by the villagers, which she thought they joked, but most of them were serious with it. She later on inspired more people and led them efficiently, be it for getting the info, spying on others or just working as team. At the same time she was quite smart. I liked the fact she chose herself and her people over the ML and Sambong, the man she always admired. 

2. Cheok Sa Gwang

dragons-mm-ii.jpg?w=634

dragons-m-iii.png

My most favorite female character from the series, even more than Boon Yi. Despite the limited screen time, she was just the best for me. The best swords woman out there that even the best swordsman of the series Lee Bang Ji struggled a lot fighting against her. In fact it always required the two of the best swordsmen of Joseon to fight here for the fight to look equal, otherwise they never had a chance against her alone. 

At the same time, despite being the best fighter out there, and suffering the loss of dear ones' lives, she always opted to not take revenge, let things go and move on. Its just that the situation would always force her to pick the sword, despite her not liking to kill and thus a lot of times she would just hit the people with the back of the sword not causing serious injury to them. 

3. Yeon Hee 

image-5.jpg

She was smart, was leading the group of assassins and spies. She was the one responsible for getting the information for the good guys and was literally running a information hub and control center for them. She is the most famous spy who no one has seen but have surely heard her name. 

4. Min Da Kyung 

6852ac471f5dc1813ffa798adeb73e1b.png

The only actual historical character of this drama in this list. She later goes on to become the Queen when Yi Bang Won becomes the King. A Smart woman and the best political analyst out there, she is so good that her father who is considered to be great political analyst, takes advices from her when it comes to political moves. She plays a big part in making her husband the Third King of Joseon. 

Apart from these ladies, we have a secret society, the Nameless whose leader was a woman too, not to forget the Female spy of the bad guys and our favorite grand mom of Muhyeol. This drama is filled with strong and smart ladies, and shows how equally they were responsible in the establishment of Joseon. 

Archived