[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

Yeahhhhh,..... it's a bitter sweet ending. Sucks for SB, but great that no body else's died (TT .....BI)...

I think if the writer meant to end it this way, they needed to make sure viewers have attachment to SY's character. They can't just hide SY with a reason that her soul is weaker than SB and expect viewers be okay that SY get the benefit of SB's hard work. They could have made the two souls in and out take turn all those time, it could be easier to except that at the end, all back to their original place,.... whether it is the rightful place based on merit or not (up to viewers to decide).

PS. The characters of SB and SY are so different; hard to imagine that SY would hug her maids, or even have close relationship with the kitchen staff, "accidentally" grab the King's elbow, or even do "aum"..... (smh.... cannot picture it).

• Like 11
  • Wiggle 1

6 minutes ago, Raffles said:

It's apparent SY never told him. Ugh.

The entire thing is all mucked up, grrr! I am so upset with it. SY deserved to live (?), the writers never gave us a chance to invest in SY's emotions and personality, while going all out on SB, so how can they expect us to empathize with a character that was never really there in the first place.

The spin offs were saving graces for the writers, hoping they could trick the watchers to go into this bubble wherein SY deserved to be beloved by the king because of their history from the well upto the bamboo forest. 

But like what CJ told HJ, he did not love her just because of their history like the well incident. CJ, I am so sure, did not just love the SB persona but grew to love what he was seeing and what he has seen. Did he love her at first? Nope. His heart saw her as SB and that was what he loved.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, aisling said:

And we thought the Chinese version had bad endings  :joy: 

You know what I just realised? I finally caught the famous second lead syndrome! Can you believe I’ve never suffered from SLS even though I’ve been watching dramas for over a decade?

But I guess this is what people feel when they root for the person who ends up alone while loving a main lead? 

I’m team So Bong all the way! 
So Bong will always remain my true eccentric Queen and the one who Cheoljong fell in love with.

I never understood Second lead  Syndrome, until today.   I don't  know if I can finish watching the ending with English subs.  I am going to wait until the Mr. Queen Bamboo forest spinoff are with English subs and than try again. 

I feel bad for CJ he stuck with his Kitten.  In my head I think BH will missed CJ but they will find enough each in this life. CJ died at 32 and is reborn remembering his old life and finds BH. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, gglex6275 said:

A propos to all who bore down upto till the shi.t.t.y end. It suxx, all throughout it, no indication of it being SY except in moments he went girly and screamed her head off after that hot night with the king.

Let's just agree to disagree. I say ending was bull.crap. but thats me, I am not close minded to consider a heterosexual man can develop feelings for another heterosexual man. It does happen. I believe the writers had to bow down to the SK conservatives that frown at that kind of relationship. Even as a possibility. If SK was like Thailand, I bet, it wouldn't end that way.

On a note though, SK drama can run a good 20-30 episode wonderful drama and muck it up on the final episode. There was never a sageuk that ran well and ended up wonderfully. I guess, SK societal norms don't do well for good endings.

BTW, one thing I really, really didn't like about SY as opposed to SB is that she was such a coward. When KJG gave her a task to do, was it to spy on the King, rather than go against her clan, do the right thing, she does what? Kill herself?! Okaaayyyy. 

SB got threatened, got assassination attempts but never did back down. The more SB is pushed, the harder SB pushed back, SY however just crumpled in a corner to die. So in my eyes, SY's redemption was not to take the position of the King's beloved but to go with BI, in the afterlife.

Who deserved to live more? It is the one who didn't give up at the slightest sign of trouble.

It takes a lot of time to change a society's conservative beliefs. I don't blame the writers.  I can't even change my grandparents and my inlaws' views. My parents are broadminded and hence I am even more broad minded. I would have loved to see any controversial storyline because I love bold writers. That's what attracted me to watch this drama in the first place.

A woman in Joseon era? I'm not surprised that she decided to kill herself. When I argued about woman's rights with one of my grandmas long ago, she told that she had no option but to kill herself if her daughter suffers in her married home (hypothetical situation) because once her daughter is married off, even the mother has no rights to intervene. :facepalm:

In order to cater to conservative society,

I would have been more satisfied if BH was a woman in his previous life and a man in current life. BH, in the present world, is what all SY wasn't. A woman like SY who might have initially had a fiery heart like her mother (If I am not mistaken was a Donghak sympathizer) would have been conditioned to believe that she has no rights to oppose the society. In her next life, when being born as a man, she did all she wanted to do. During the drowning incident, BH was able to go and change his past life.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, NitaA said:

Yeahhhhh,..... it's a bitter sweet ending. Sucks for SB, but great that no body else's died (TT .....BI)...

I think if the writer meant to end it this way, they needed to make sure viewers have attachment to SY's character. They can't just hide SY with a reason that her soul is weaker than SB and expect viewers be okay that SY get the benefit of SB's hard work. They could have made the two souls in and out take turn all those time, it could be easier to except that at the end, all back to their original place,.... whether it is the rightful place based on merit or not (up to viewers to decide).

PS. The characters of SB and SY are so different; hard to imagine that SY would hug her maids, or even have close relationship with the kitchen staff, "accidentally" grab the King's elbow, or even do "aum"..... (smh.... cannot picture it).

I cannot even imagine SY punching CJ lights out if he annoys her. Remember when CJ was asking advice from Director Hong, he said that Director Hong's advice will likely end up with SB killing him. Can anyone imagine now CJ being afraid of SY or knowing that SY will not be above hitting him in the face if she is annoyed?

Like I said, palace dynamics will change, since it was SB's social sphere. The palace maids, eunuchs, the concubines and even the cooks.

Writer should have the consideration on how to stay true to the plot before even penning in ending a story.

5 minutes ago, aisling said:

Someone on TW said Cheoljong turned from a sex maniac into an alcoholic cause after So Bong left he never had the same amazing sex anymore :loolz:

Now that would be entirely possible! Could also be a reason for him dying early too!

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

@foreverempress i agree with your view and I am not erudite enough to debate precise definitions.  

What has me all broody right now is that I watched till ep 17 and purposely kept ep 18-20 to marathon. While keeping up with the spoilers and plots.

I am exceptionally peeved that the character that was throughout the whole series just got smacked back into the future. And his feelings and passion all became watered down tea in the future. Its like my male lead has been deprived of his Queen. And received a Queen who cannot think on her feet- she killed herself remember when pressured- and reaped the benefit. Come on... she now has a bun in the oven. Was the King even coming to her regularly before then? He had the concubine too. She now has a guy who has the hots for her all the time.

So effectively after 20 episodes I have now witnessed a lame duck 2nd female lead. Ok more like THIRD female lead get the male lead.

Gah. Stomp stomp stomp.

Man I am peeved. I am going back to CLOY where KHJ's character was killed. Then Forest where SHS' character was killed. They were more justiable and logical than this. Grrr...

• Like 13
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

No matter what, I'm grateful to Shin Hye Sun and Kim Jung Hyun hard works for making my weekend meaningful.

Thank you so much:bawling:

credit to the owner

I love all Kim Jung Hyun's costumes in this drama:wub:

credit to the owner

Spoiler

credit to the owner

and Shin Hye Sun's hanbok too:)

credit to the owner

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 3

I hope all this unhappiness does not take away that it still was a great drama and that the actors did an awesome portrayal of their characters . I, for one, forgot we were in a pandemic every time I watched the squad on screen.   I really didn’t expect a homophobic ending, especially the drama already got warned for using historic figures in the beginning and because this wouldn’t sit well with Korean audiences . Could the writers have done a better job with SY ? Yes, I wished they would have made her original character close to who BH is and that she had no choice but to jump into the lake so that it makes sense that SY + BH are one. 

Focusing on the ending is doing such an injustice to the actors who worked so hard on it . Being a veteran Kdrama watcher , the writers rarely tie up loose ends like we want them to and writers really need to take a lesson on how to end dramas.  But thank you to SHS, KJH, Choi Sang gung, Hong Yeon, Royal Chef, kings eunuch, Kim Hwan, Director Hong for bringing us so many laughs and joy admits a worldwide crisis.  I, for one, will rewatch this for all the funny scenes . 

• Like 13
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

Im still heartbroken with the ending

But, I have to remind myself to focus on the team works.. 

I will keep watching KJH and SHS works...

But I need time to be ready to watch the subbed ep 20... :brokenheart:

Jung Hyun-ah, we were happy from ep 1-19, but many unhappy with the ending of ep 20....:sad1: however, thank you for your hard work, we really enjoyed it...

• Like 4
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 1

I absolutely loved this drama, including the ending. With all the negative crazy stuff going on in our world, this is exactly what I needed. 

For those who were expecting a more detailed resolution involving BH, I don't think that’s realistic. Korea as a country is not there culturally. This drama stayed away from crossing that line throughout it. It went as far as it could but stayed basically as a fun rom-com.

BH did a lot for the royal couple and went back to his merry life. And the royal couple became a real couple. And that is that.

No more no less and I'm absolutely fine with that outcome.  

I thought EP 20 was perfect. Totally in line with what I had hoped.  It stayed in the lane the drama has been in from the beginning. No surprises. 

• Like 13
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, Raffles said:

I loved the payoff to the Choi-chef love story. He invited her to have ramen as a softer, piano version of the love circle theme (la-ah-ah!) was playing. :tounge_wink:

I also liked the just desserts to our baddies, though I really think So Bong had earned the take-down of Sunwon. The brother was the king's nemesis, and the sister was hers.

I have been looking for that music on the love circle theme I hope they release it with the rest of the OST.  They played it many times during the last 2 episodes.

• Like 2