[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I just started watching this and am on ep 3.. I love it so far, just that the MIL gets on my nerves. She said, "Once you become a part of Taegyeong group, you'll remain a member until you die." 

:angry:

How is everyone liking it so far? Its been awhile since I watched a drama while it was still airing

• Like 11

I just finished watching 6th episode with English sub, seriously I feel like it's me who madly in love and in a pre-stage / some-relationship, I got that feeling, they deliver the plot really well. How could i got the butterflies on my stomach when it's CSH-KJH that holding hands not me?

I feel like Secretary Jang will end up with KJH's hyung (the Franchise CEO :D) their love story will be funny I guess, it will enjoyable too.

Seriously CSH mother, she is hopeless, choose her own desire over her relationship with her daughter, she is too ambitious, i feel bad for CSH, luckily she got her father. The painting in CSH office room, make me sad, that girl seating alone while watch the tree 

*How can Kang Moo Yeon mother personality change so much when she has CSH as her daughter :blink:*

I like when Jung Woo Seok warn the bad-ahjussi , how dare he think he will be the replacement of CSH, what a jerk. The bad-ahjussi and the traitor really got my nerve, seriously that bad-ahjussi need someone to 'teach' him so he can't messed up with CSH, hope their dirty plan got caught by JWS so he can take care of those jerk. 

The scene where CSH buying a necktie to KJH and accidentally meet her ex, and when JWS saw CSH enrope the necktie to KJH, these scenes added more fun into this episode, we need jealousy feels too beside madly in love feels. I can feel how awkward KJH be when the ex-husband suddenly ask about the his necktie, hahaha.

I like how CSH father reply to ex-MIL (hahaha) I'm over happy seeing Cha congressman stand on his own now.

Hye In really care towards KJH, she warn him, she also very sad seeing how ex-MIL treated KJH, I adore her. The bright person, KJH, never treated like how the ex-MIL treated him, no wonder he feels sad in CSH position as he imagine how she's being treated by those person all this time. Hope KJH will endure everything for their happiness.

And once again, the ending scene of this episode (like 4th episode) it's give me a very happily joy :wub: how CSH very confident answer the jerk-reporter question "We are in pre stage / some relationship" . Super happy seeing that bad-ahjussi expression after that answer, once again CSH-KJH wreck his dirty plan, CSH father smile, telling us he is support whatever his daughter decision, the rest like always surprise expression, once again CSH-KJH relationship passed another difficulties, great. 

And the preview of 7th episode, looking forward to see how CSH confidently declare she will live the way she wants not as what others want.

• Like 13

34 minutes ago, roxnilla7 said:

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I just started watching this and am on ep 3.. I love it so far, just that the MIL gets on my nerves. She said, "Once you become a part of Taegyeong group, you'll remain a member until you die." 

:angry:

How is everyone liking it so far? Its been awhile since I watched a drama while it was still airing

I love this show.  And, of course, I despise the MIL.  This is one problem I have with KDramas (especially the ones with chaebol families):  Parents are often so controlling, cruel, and verbally abusive.

I have a feeling that our main couple is in for a bumpy ride as the families start fighting for power and control.  Since so much time was spent filming in Cuba, I wonder if they will try to escape there to get away.  

• Like 5

For all intensive purposes “Encounter” is a hit! You can’t argue that... Everything just clicks. Storyline/actors/visuals/dialogue etc... It just keeps getting better each week. The ending of episode 6 truly takes the cake!

• Like 10

11 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@stroppyse

I also believe that he didn't cheat on her but that's not the point. It is about the impression he gave, the pain he caused. Falling in love with another woman and saying to the official wife, he fell in love with another woman and wants to spend the rest of his life with her is actually like cheating. As a married man he is supposed to be loyal and faithful and not look at other women. These words have the same impact than adultery... Moreover, CSH is not someone who will express her feelings hence JWS is assuming that she never loved him back. I sense that she did have some affection for him but in his eyes, it was never shown because she never smiled like that. But affection can be shown in  many different ways. In my opinion, he was used to be pursued by women and he thought that being treated like this means to be loved. CSH has been raised differently, therefore it could be that JWS just overlooked it.  CSH showed interest towards JH with gaze, her hands aso... did JWS pay attention to her body language? I doubt it, I also think that JWS is not subtle and not sensitive enough to pay attention to people's feelings. From my point of view, he is the exact opposite of JH. 

He has been doing the daddy long legs thing and helping her behind the scenes, so obviously he loved her and continues to love her.  I think  he fabricated the affair and forced his mom to let them divorce when he realized he would hurt her more to keep her in the marriage. He un-cuffed her.  That said, I think he will turn to the dark side (this is a drama and we have 10 episodes left :D) and start creating trouble forour OTP because of his jealousy.

2 hours ago, gumtaek said:

"Broadcast rights were sold to terrestrial, cable and OTT broadcasts in over 100 countries around the world."

With such great news, who else bothers about their local ratings?! Not me. 

"Boyfriend" is fighting prejudice against single/divorced women in the Korean society, and fighting such women being ostracized from society for falling in love with a younger man. I can't speak for the K-netizens and their closed culture and beliefs.

But as international fans, what we can do is to show our strong support for this awesome love story and our super-talented PBG and SHK by spreading love and positive comments in all possible social media platforms. There is no point in focusing on those negative comments or lower ratings. We have a choice to do good for this drama by our continuous collective 'voice' and give lots of accolades to the drama by overriding and wiping out those negativities, wherever we see them. 

The scale of broadcast rights sold attest to the worldwide popularity of "Boyfriend" and the explosive love for Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo. I'm so happy that the drama is well-loved and as there are beautiful poems, meaningful words and messages and sweet body language in a love relationship of yesteryears, it can only bring us joy and pride when we feel like a little love in our lives or it can console us in hard times with beautiful encouragement that nothing is impossible if we shed our inhibitions and go beyond our comfort zone.

Ep 6 is sweet with their bike ride, hand-holding and CSH initiating a walk together, which is a big step for her because she's usd to reigning in her emotions. It"s not without its sad moments too, where KJH is beginning to taste the real, ugly side of human beings when CSH's MIL confronted him with sarcasm and a super-caustic tongue and we have mothers who attach a value to their kids above blood relations. I'm with KJH - just how long had CSH had to put up with all these unplesantries? You can feel his pain at her pain.

PBG nailed the part with his awesome expression where he gave CSH encouragement to go ahead and do what she deemed fit, he's fine....and SHK shone with her look of uncertainty and final decisiveness to come clean. She looked torn at first.

The score is even at the moment without them even realizing that love has begun and we the viewers are ever so ready to embrace their love. I'm excited to see their growing intimacy and unified strength to fight their adversities. (I'm wondering about CSH's ex-husband vs KJH's close girl friend - who will betray whom?)

Meanwhile, back to their awe-inspiring eye contact moments.....wuli #JinSoo couple.  :D

• Like 18

Why Cuba?

Like what JH said, the world is wide and vast, there so many countries....

Maybe, just like our couple's relationship, Cuba has been to many revolutions and turmoils.

I came across Cuba's motto, " homeland or death, we shall overcome".

This should not be interpreted litetally for it is not to be, If ever the motto has connection to the flow of the drama. For me, though i still need to ponder the meaning more, it may mean : obstacles caused by family or caused by unforeseen one that is like a matter of life and death, they shall overcome together.

• Like 12

Song Hye-kyo, Park Bo-gum's 'Encounter' will be shown in more than 100 nations

2018/12/14 13:42

SEOUL, Dec. 14 (Yonhap) -- TvN's television series "Encounter" will air in more than 100 countries, CJ ENM, the owner of the cable channel, said Friday.

The South Korean entertainment giant said the romantic drama, starring Song Hye-kyo and Park Bo-gum, will be available on various global online streaming platforms, including Viki, as well as pay-TV service providers like Now TV in Singapore. Mnet Japan has also bought the broadcast rights to the popular series and will air the 16-part series in March.

"Many overseas partners had shown a strong interest in the series for the star cast and producer Park Shin-woo's proven production ability, even before its premiere," said Seo Jang-ho, head of the global content department at CJ ENM. "We expect the domestic popularity to spread overseas."

The romantic drama premiered in Korea on Nov. 28 and revolves around Cha Soo-hyun (played by Song), a high-powered politician's daughter who divorced a man from a chaebol family, and an ordinary young man named Kim Jin-hyuk (Park), who happens to work at the hotel Cha is running. The latest episode, aired Thursday, recorded 8.6 percent in its viewership rating, according to Nielsen Korea. 

This image provided by tvN shows an official poster for "Encounter," a new television series on the cable channel. (Yonhap)This image provided by tvN shows an official poster for "Encounter," a new television series on the cable channel. (Yonhap)

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20181214005400315?section=tongtongtv/news

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, vvpal said:

He has been doing the daddy long legs thing and helping her behind the scenes, so obviously he loved her and continues to love her.  I think  he fabricated the affair and forced his mom to let them divorce when he realized he would hurt her more to keep her in the marriage. He un-cuffed her.  That said, I think he will turn to the dark side (this is a drama and we have 10 episodes left :D) and start creating trouble forour OTP because of his jealousy.

I believe, you misunderstood me. I am pretty well aware that JWS loved and loves her and didn't cheat on her. BUT since he told her that he had fallen in love with another woman and he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her, for CSH it was like he has been "cheating" on her and had never loved her. Yes, through his gesture he wanted her to leave his family but he had in his mind that she would come back later to him. It doesn't matter if he has been fabricating the story because CSH is not aware of this. He did hurt her with his lies...

As for the daddy long leg, there is a reason why CSH refuses his help just like CSH's close friends. They don't want to be indebted to him. They don't know what he will ask after helping her. Due to the past, they are very cautious around him. Since his mother is manipulative, they also think, JWS is not different. They are not entirely wrong as he is trying to manipulate behind her back. Sure, his intention is to win her heart. Nonetheless, he is unwilling to let her know that he loves her. He wants her love without telling her that he loves her because he wants to have the upper hand in the couple. Maybe he is scared that his love could be used as a weakness. 

And the episode 6 proved one more time to me that JWS is not powerless. He threatened director Choi which outlines that he can even work against his mother's plan... 

• Like 18

I am posting this just so we get the right information. There are several articles with this news.

The 'boyfriend' 6th viewership rate was 8.6% and 10.1%, respectively, for cable-based, IPTV, and satellite-based pay-per-view platforms. The TVN target (male and female 2049) recorded an average 4.4% and 4.8%, respectively, and occupied first place in all channels including terrestrial broadcasting. (Paid platforms nationwide / provided by Nielsen Korea)

http://mnews.imaeil.com/Entertainments/2018121408475852155#cb

To back it up

70mEinM.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encounter_(South_Korean_TV_series)#Ratings

As you will note, ratings slightly went up for the latest episode.

Just to set records straight.

• Like 18

35 minutes ago, dvrels said:

Seriously CSH mother, she is hopeless, choose her own desire over her relationship with her daughter, she is too ambitious, i feel bad for CSH, luckily she got her father. The painting in CSH office room, make me sad, that girl seating alone while watch the tree 

*How can Kang Moo Yeon mother personality change so much when she has CSH as her daughter :blink:*

Oh yeah, I love how the same actress plays Song Hye-Gyo's mom in both shows. But very different personalities!

She's a great actress. She didn't do much in DOTS, but she was a great Bad Mom in Oh Hae-Young. And she was a great Good Mom in Mother.

Here, she might be the worst mom of all. Because the Bad Mom in Oh Hae-Young sort of atoned for her misdeeds by the end.

A couple more thoughts:

- I love how the Ramen scene and the "some" scene - aside from being swoooony - also works so well to neutralize their enemies. If you tell the truth, the baddies can't use it against you.

- Looks like Soo-Hyeon's dad is firmly on her side, and doesn't give a fig about the evil MIL. If these two moms really want to make the dad President of Korea, doesn't HE have to agree to it? He doesn't seem interested in doing what they want, so it looks like Game Over to me. What are they even fighting and hissing about?

• Like 13

I finally had the time to watch both episode today and what a roller coaster ride it is. 

My cheeks hurt watching those two. Aigoo....

highlight of the 5th episode for me is how both of them gathered their courage and took the plunge to have “some” relationship. KJH is courageous enough to ask her that question, and in turn CSH gathered her courage to say yes. *fist in the air*

And highlight of episode 6 for me was when KJH went to see his teacher to have some tea alone, when the teacher said,

For you, it’s not “some” relationship... you really like her...

his face changed as if he has been caught. And to think that how he asked for a some relationship first, he really is being considerate towards CSH. 

for me this is where KJH won against JWS. Not that I’m belittling JWS love for CSH, it’s just KJH wears his feeling on his sleeve and really went all out on her. 

that muffler scene... that necktie scene... cemented how small gestures seemed like leaps and bounds for them. 

As for the holding hand scene.... if KJH did not point out why she doesn’t want to take a chance with him, maybe she wouldn’t even think of holding his arm. 

Does anyone knows the song playing after they held hands? That song is so nice it seemed to ring in my ears even when I’m not watching. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Awesome analysis in this forum..Finished watching EP 6 subbed, and I could see lot of foreshadowing!! 

1. The "garden"  of the hotel that CSH refers to in Cuba - its the same hotel  that KJH liked in Ep1 (as pointed out earlier by one of our chingus in this forum). So we can defnly expect some scenes in Cuba related to the hotel

2. CSH said that Cuba hotel is expected to be ready by next new year - which means that most likely we will see a time jump to next year end since there are some Cuba scenes that we are yet to see..hopefully the hotel will see the marriage of the OTP?

3. WS came between his mom and KJH  and in a way defused the scene. Also both times when WS intereacted with KJH he was polite and not rude . I believe he will play a key role in helping them get together . After Ep6 am convinced that he will not be the bad guy in this series...now I feel lil sad for his unrequited love..but as pointed out by our expects he had hi chance and he blew it.

Reg. Cuba  future scenes :)here's the video in spoiler I found earlier this week.

Now, am more convinced of a happy ending :wub:

Spoiler

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I believe, you misunderstood me. I am pretty well aware that JWS loved and loves her and didn't cheat on her. BUT since he told her that he had fallen in love with another woman and he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her, for CSH it was like he has been "cheating" on her and had never loved her. Yes, through his gesture he wanted her to leave his family but he had in his mind that she would come back later to him. It doesn't matter if he has been fabricated the story because CSH is not aware of this. He did hurt her with his lies...

I'm torn when it comes to JWS. I was under the impression that he really cheated on her. However, as this drama has progressed, it's become pretty obvious that he loves her. I would like to think that he was pretending that he cheated on her, but in the first couple of episodes I didn't get the impression he was pretending. Not only that, I don't know what he would have gained from doing so if he really loved her at the time. Could be he wanted to set a caged bird free, but I'm not sure.  I think over the years after seeing her take a failing hotel and turn it around and make it profitable, he probably realized what he lost. When his mother mentioned to him that she would like for them to get back together, it was like she planted this seed in him. He also thought that she would never go with another man just because of her personality; however, he now has competition.

I have a feeling that our leads will separate for a couple of years. I hope they separate because I need to male lead to become a "man"; someone that she can lean on; someone who can protect her. Right now he seems like a young kid; I want to see a confident man.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, noonainwaiting said:

Every now and then she smiles, it really makes my day." 
-I had written earlier just how much JH values SH's smile and how he's striving to be the one who brings out that side for her. I don't find it to be a "savior complex" from his side, more like he is trying to be an equal partner to her in the best way he can.

THIS! Made me remember a certain namja saying 

“I feels like a useful person when I see you smile because of me”

i’m so deep in that ship and when KJH said thissss. I meltttttt. 

This is when the teacher said that the relationship its not just “some”, he really do like CSH. 

• Like 11