[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

34 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

I'm not saying that such relationships don't happen where the female is older and/or wealthier, I'm just saying that it's still not commonplace in society.

I agree with everything you said.

Let me just add that, maybe this show isn't just about the gaps but also maybe the unfairness the society have against female? Maybe that's one of the points of this story: Them ending up together is possible and not a fairy tale.

• Like 13

I remember the tea house lady warns JH that he will be misunderstood since he is head over heels about the wealthy CEO of his company. I think he says it's enough for him to see her laugh sometime. Even though there's an age gap, class gap, money gap, power gap, there's no affinity gap. He's sensitive, quotes Rilke, loves that outdoor art gallery of paintings, loves the sea. He takes her to what he calls a great coffee place which is really just a bench looking out at the ocean. They are soul mates. Will societal constraints prevent two such perfectly attuned people from getting together/staying together?Curious to see where the writer goes with this. 

• Like 19

I completely agree that this drama is addressing  society’s prejudice and even misogyny in korean society but even so, I also look at Encounter as a coming of age story of SH and her journey to her own happiness. In a sense I find her romance with JH as a means to an end. As in this drama isnt about their romance but really about her alone. 

This said, i could have skimmed over this but how old is SH in this drama? Her ex husband is in his late 30s but for her, I gather she was at most only 34?

• Like 16

22 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

I agree that it is highlighting double standards and unfairness to women. Heck, if SH had been a man and JH the woman, this would just be a normal romance. :)

I like your speculation about a happy ending. I had initially thought that this would have a memorable ending rather than a happy ending since it was being promoted as a melodrama. However, having read a couple of articles now, it seems to be being promoted more as a romantic drama rather than a romantic melodrama, so a happier ending is possible. So not sure, if my confusion about this had to do with reading in translation versus reading in Korean.

Still, I think they could make a good case for an ending in which SH and JH aren't together any more despite their love for each other or an open ending given how much they have to bridge between their worlds. That they come together to love each other, and then return to their own spheres being stronger people, especially since the two people are at different stages of their lives. But, I also think that the strongest case for a happy ending may be the demands of the viewers who want SH and JH to be happy, especially now that they've sold the drama to 100 countries.  I have to say that I personally want to see SH and JH kick the system and stay together, though not sure how they'll do that.

I read the articles as well and i think it depends on the interpretation of how you perceive it- i read somewhere that the intention of the script would take on a movie- like quality which I interpreted as “open ended” as most Korean movies are in my opinion. The quality of the actual dialogue is more in tune with korean movies which makes sense because i read somewhere the scriptwriter wrote for movies and not dramas (or not too much experience). Hence the high production value and the nuanced acting synonymous with korean movies.

I also think that the way the drama is going is a social commentary and not trying to make a great point or another. More like- it points out an issue or observation on korean society as a whole and up to the audience to do something about it or not. Similar to the drama Miseng.

• Like 12

so finally up to date with this drama. lett me say how I am falling for our girl SH. I mean she is really talented in her work, and they way she proudly talk about how she turned the hotell managing into success is very impressive. It is not often we see a female lead as her being good at her work and also how she handle herself. The best part is how she is getting out of her shell and is smiling more. 

JH is surprising me in the way he is handling stuff and also how he only think about how SH is feeling. They both make my heart fluter :wub:

Regarding a happy ending. The more I think about the more I think we gonna get it. even if there is a big mountain to reach. I think SH father gonna surprise us going forward. I mean he clearly is done with ex laws and want the best for his girl. So when SH is gonna be vocal about what she want for the first time, I think he gonna step up for his daughter. Also I think this is a story about breaking expected rules and reaching for your happiness to get our fulfilled life. No mater how good SH is at her work there have clearly been missing something from her life.

But lett see what writer gonna do. I feel so far they have surprised us with how character have reacted to events so far!  

• Like 16

Visually stunning and classically romantic. 

tumblr_pjp13lTz0v1xkntwio9_r2_540.giftumblr_pjp13lTz0v1xkntwio7_r1_540.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_pjpbmtBzEr1r1my6mo1_540.giftumblr_pjpbmtBzEr1r1my6mo3_540.gif

----------------

tumblr_pjqwt4wQEe1taa1z6o1_1280.png

tumblr_pjqwt4wQEe1taa1z6o2_1280.png

wEsRLH9.gif

odetoyouth0616

==========

3218731.jpg?w=1024&h=1024&crop=1

Yong Jun Hyung (HIGHLIGHT) – Don’t Hesitate (망설이지 마요) Encounter OST Part 3

I feel it very slightly
The tremble in your eyes

Feels like I could tell you
Right now

If we get too close, it might be too hot
If we get too far, it might be too cold
So we’re just watching from far away
As if we’re waiting

Don’t hesitate love
Don’t hesitate love
Don’t just leave things alone
And make everything pass by right now

Don’t hesitate love
Tell me so I can hear

I’ll take a small step today
Till I arrive in front of you some day

I’m walking, every day, to you
You’re stopped right there

You’re looking at me
As if we’re waitingDon’t hesitate love

Spoiler

Don’t hesitate love
Don’t just leave things alone
And make everything pass by right now

Don’t hesitate love
Hurry and tell me so I can hear
Tell me now

Don’t hesitate love
Don’t hesitate love
Hold my hand tightly
So all these things won’t pass by right now

Don’t hesitate love
Tell me so I can hear

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, stroppyse said:

But, anyway, it does get to the point that the younger man is typically seen as an opportunist and a plaything rather than a serious partner for an older, wealthier, higher class woman. JH is going to have a very thick skin in order to get through what he has to, and still be there for SH.

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Still, I think they could make a good case for an ending in which SH and JH aren't together any more despite their love for each other or an open ending given how much they have to bridge between their worlds. That they come together to love each other, and then return to their own spheres being stronger people, especially since the two people are at different stages of their lives. But, I also think that the strongest case for a happy ending may be the demands of the viewers who want SH and JH to be happy, especially now that they've sold the drama to 100 countries.  I have to say that I personally want to see SH and JH kick the system and stay together, though not sure how they'll do that.

@stroppyse Initially this drama reminded me of "Pretty Noona who buys me food" but it quickly became evident that besides the age gap between the OTP, everything else is basically different. There's definitely a lot more going on in this drama. Like you said, there's also the money gap, the power gap, and the class gap. There is an inherent sort of naivety that we see in JH because of this. He is simply unfamiliar with all the external factors that CH has to deal with. Another potential road block with his family could be the fact that she is divorcee. 

At this point, I can see this drama going either way - giving us a happy ending where they end up together or giving us an alternate ending (I prefer to refer to it as an alternate ending instead of saying "sad") because it could still be a good ending despite them not ending up together if the drama is able to develop their characters well enough to show how they've evolved to be better people because of meeting each other. 

I am curious to see how JH will develop as a character. At this moment, he is slowly learning that his relationship with CH invites not only immense scrutiny on her but also threatens the very thing she's worked so hard for (Donghwa). I also wonder how CH will grow. The show is giving me the impression that CH lost herself. She was once a bright and bubbly girl who, after being sold off to a family by marriage, slowly learned to curb her feelings and to just endure each day quietly and to live according other people's expectations. Will JH help her return to her old self? What would they both have to sacrifice to be together? 

1 hour ago, littlemay said:

The last 2 episodes, I really feel for the ex-husband. I hope he find happiness, because he deserve it too. The actor, Jang Seung-jo did a good job playing the ex-husband. i don't hate him, but sort of pity him.

@littlemay I also felt for the ex-husband. At this point, I don't hate him at all. I actually feel sad for him because he obviously cares for CH and also has some decency in that he doesn't agree with his mother's tactics. I do hope he doesn't turn evil eventually. I think it makes for a more compelling character if he were to stay the way he is and grow from there.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

I agree that CH lost her sense of self, or perhaps it's fairer to say that she never developed a sense of herself. I think her nature was tamed much, much earlier than her arranged marriage. The drama indicates that she started being restricted as her father started his political career from his previous journalistic career. And, being a member of the family of a politician and thus being under scrutiny, SH would have been told constantly to mind her manners and to do as she's told, by her mother and whatever handlers her mother put on her. By the time of her marriage, I think SH had been groomed to be an obedient doll and so went along with the marriage without a murmur, even going so far as to try to become a woman to her future husband's taste.

yes, I agree with this part... she actually asked her ex-husband at first meeting what kind of woman he likes and that she will try to become that.  She was too restrained before.  And her ex-husband realised that.  What I'm getting from the show is that he actually loves her and wants her to be happy and to want to be with him willingly.  Of course I'm not supporting his choice of divorce grounds. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, bellaangel012 said:

This said, i could have skimmed over this but how old is SH in this drama? Her ex husband is in his late 30s but for her, I gather she was at most only 34?

Maybe more like the same as the real age of SHK (37) considering how outrageous the people’s reactions are when she admitted that they were in a summ stage. JH is 29, if she’s just 34 then thats not really so much of an age gap? Or is it?

@stroppyse I wanted to quote what you’ve said but my phone wont allow me quoting 2 posters. But yes, you’re absolutely right that viewer’s demands can turn the tide on how this drama ends.

• Like 12

A while ago, PBG tweeted

And here's the lyrics

eSNa (에스나) – 썸 (Eng Ver) Lyrics

Some by eSNa

There are some times I get tired of listening to you
Don’t mean that I don’t enjoy spending time with you
Maybe I’m the one who’s being weird
I’ve been thinking about this for a while I have

I can be all alone watching re-runs at home
But I seem to be waiting for you just for you
Can’t sleep cuz I’m thinking of your face
Waiting for the phone to ring just once tonight

Don’t say were just friends then try to hold my hand and kiss me like I’m yours
It ain’t nothing but it could be something if we tried
Tell me that you don’t think the lines have (oh) become a bit blurry
Oh what can we do

Things don’t have to be so complicated all you have to do
Is act the way you feel and maybe show the way you love
Tell me that you don’t think the lines have (oh) become a bit blurry
Tell me that you love me too
Just say that you love me too

Oohh how sweet he is, to tweet a song that really relate to JINSOO in latest episode..:wub:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

From the interesting discussions in this forum I wanna share mine too. 

When Park Bo Gum accepted Encounter/Boyfriend, I was one of no-no audiences due to Noona genre of drama but I found later that Encounter/Boyfriend’s storyline and script have been presented with new value and different visions.

After I have watched 6 episodes with repetitions because I am fond of each features and wanna indulge in thoroughly. 

It is very impressive that the key story of KJH&CSH’s feeling development looks unlikely to happen but the storyline detail, created situation, life background, and script are reasonable enough to deeply believe why KJH&CSH has attracted each other profoundly. 

KJH who come from the family which appreciate what he is eg. Parents appreciate KJH as a good son for spending life without troubling while parents have been busy working (KJH has not done anything spendid but his family value his being). 

When KJH was interested in CSH, he considered that he did not do anything wrong, he let himself expresse his feeling to CSH. 

Conversely, CSH who has done job very successfully to turn bad performed hotel to prominent hotel chains but her mother has never praised what she succeeded but has reprimanded whatever she has been. CSH’s dad loved CSH but he was busy to handle his wife and manage political life. CSH has never experienced to appreciate herself and let herself express what she really want. 

KJH might be the first person who praised her from his heart during holding hand scene to let her share how she has made this hotel chains be at this profitable stage. In CSH’s opinion, she feel like she has done hotel to survive rather than being a success.  

For CSH, even feeling with KJH, she still looked down herself from the conversation with her best friend secretary why CSH herself has to meet KJH after she is quite old and divorced. (she did not appreciate herself for CEO position and higher social status at all)

CSH has been interested in KJH more and more but CSH tried to restrain herself strictly. 

It might be CSH’s very first moment to be praised for a little thing here and there from KJH eg. he told her “cute” for her small hands that KJH wore gloves or her other tiny actions.

CSH is learning to express what she wants and has KJH who appreciates CSH to let CSH dare to be herself again after her dad’s political job and her mom’s strong greedy desire.

KJH is also learning to the new&real world of CSH’s cruel society, totally different from his usual peaceful life with dearly family, kind neighborhood, and peaceful library with books.

I am very amazed of reasonable scripts to create roles&situation&background and acting skills that Park Bo Gum’s and Song Hye Kyo’s comprehensive acting can portray KJH and CSH till audiences forgot their true PBG and SHK to be in the characters of the drama. I am glad that they selected this project after I used to object. 

• Like 18

Just got this on my sns

From JAMSAN, artist of the Encounter opening billboard illustrations

i can't remember now the Forum Chingu who led me to him -- but thanks much!

so love celestial bodies especially the moon

and with these stars-in-their-own-rights to go with 

it's bound to be quite a vision

and mooning over Bogummy

and that light of a person he is

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2