[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

1 hour ago, lclarakl said:

I'm torn when it comes to JWS. I was under the impression that he really cheated on her. However, as this drama has progressed, it's become pretty obvious that he loves her. I would like to think that he was pretending that he cheated on her, but in the first couple of episodes I didn't get the impression he was pretending. Not only that, I don't know what he would have gained from doing so if he really loved her at the time. Could be he wanted to set a caged bird free, but I'm not sure.  I think over the years after seeing her take a failing hotel and turn it around and make it profitable, he probably realized what he lost. When his mother mentioned to him that she would like for them to get back together, it was like she planted this seed in him. He also thought that she would never go with another man just because of her personality; however, he now has competition.

I have a feeling that our leads will separate for a couple of years. I hope they separate because I need to male lead to become a "man"; someone that she can lean on; someone who can protect her. Right now he seems like a young kid; I want to see a confident man.

I’m torn about JWS too. Watching him so far up to episode 6, he was most pitiful when he bumpes into CSH while trying on a new suit. 

For the viewers, it is very telling that the picky woman he was referring to was CSH but for her, it wasn’t the case. Her facial reaction is silently violent, since it reminded her that their marriage collapse because of a 3rd person. 

In my opinion, she tried her best (in her own CSH way) but he choose the easy way out to let her go instead of fighting together.

remember KJH said lets allow the feeling inside them fight and she was like... fight? She was lost in thought for a bit then agrees to “some” relationship. 

• Like 15

2 hours ago, lclarakl said:

I'm torn when it comes to JWS. I was under the impression that he really cheated on her. However, as this drama has progressed, it's become pretty obvious that he loves her. I would like to think that he was pretending that he cheated on her, but in the first couple of episodes I didn't get the impression he was pretending. Not only that, I don't know what he would have gained from doing so if he really loved her at the time. Could be he wanted to set a caged bird free, but I'm not sure.  I think over the years after seeing her take a failing hotel and turn it around and make it profitable, he probably realized what he lost. When his mother mentioned to him that she would like for them to get back together, it was like she planted this seed in him. He also thought that she would never go with another man just because of her personality; however, he now has competition.

I have a feeling that our leads will separate for a couple of years. I hope they separate because I need to male lead to become a "man"; someone that she can lean on; someone who can protect her. Right now he seems like a young kid; I want to see a confident man.

Yes CSH behaves too much like a teenager in first love.. anticipating a time jump where he mans up both in work and in person..

• Like 9

2 hours ago, lclarakl said:

I like this scenario very much.. I still think he was loving CSH all the way.. He might have tried relationship with other girl.. But seeing the wallpaper on his phone it seems he was always struck on CSH!! .. He has that two sides where he checks out KJH's tie n feels assured that CSH might have not given him tie.. But he knows the truth but still He wants to thing sorts!!.. I want to know more n more abt him to give judgement abt him.. He came Two times n saved KJH knowing his relationship with CSH.. I don't know whether it's to help CSH or he has a big heart!! I m actually very confused by his behavior.. I can understand CSH's condition in marriage!! 

• Like 13

I just finished watching E6. This episode is all about establishing a demarcation line.

The first line were established by Congressman Cha against CSH's ex-mother in law. Congressman Cha I think is now politically savvy that he can now shield himself and will no longer bow to the wishes of CSH's ex-mother in law. A lot of pressure will eventually be thrown against Congressman Cha but I think he now knows he can defend himself in the political battlefield. 

The second demarcation line was established by CSH herself. With all the media present at the party and all important hotel officials and guest around, she announced her relationship with KJH. With that announcement, all the intentions of the evil people including MIL, CSH's mother, the Board of Director who planned the question came crashing down. The announcement this time around is no longer about friendship with KJH but it has now evolved into a serious relationship. It's like CSH telling everyone to stay away from her relationship. I was smiling like a cheshire cat looking at the faces of Secretary Jang, Mr. Nam,  CSH mother,  the announcer, the MIL, the Director and CSH ex-husband. The line has been drawn. I'm happy for both CSH and KJH:thumbsup::D:sweatingbullets::wub:

• Like 16

6 hours ago, Far^away said:

that muffler scene... that necktie scene... cemented how small gestures seemed like leaps and bounds for them.

I love this line alot. :heart:

This is the first time I'm going to comment about JWS. Mainly because I was trying to understand him.

I think the reason is simple. He said so himself. He, like CSH, knows the feeling of not owning your own life. When they got married, he might have seen that CSH has been pushed too much to the side or pressured by his mother and it reached a point where he cant stand the person he loves being stifled like that anymore, especially by his own mother. That might be the reason why he made up the outrageous "wanting to marry the other woman" alibi just to get Cha divorced and out of his family. He has been at cross with his mother twice and he never failed to remind his mother that CSH is not a thing. He did not however expect CSH to be involved with another man especially after the signed divorce contract that hinders CSH to ever be involved. So I understand the hesitation from his part in doing anything upfront like what KJH is doing.

MIL played her part well and because of that i hate her. Not as much as i hate CSH's mom. At least MIL has a reason deeper than just being selfish and chaebol. At least she's almost doing it to CSH because she knows his son loves her. CSH mom however, she's pure evil, selfish! argh

• Like 14

Encounter sold to 100 countries! :scream: This is good news indeed:wub:

Spoiler

So Encounter beats sageuk drama Jewel In The Palace in terms of buying the copyright to broadcast to their network from different countries! 

--------

Following its initial broadcast in South Korea, Dae Jang Geum was syndicated in over 60 countries around the world, under the titles Jewel in the Palace and The Great Jang-Geum

Source Wikipedia

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

I love this drama.  I am on a wonderful ride with these two.  I think that the K-drama has finally grown-up to air a drama portraying two individuals, an older, divorced, well accomplished woman, and a younger, well read, mature man, falling in love.  I am loving the journey from strangers connecting in Cuba to their "some" relationship.   Their chemistry makes my heart do somersaults.  I am 100% in their corner regardless the obstacles.   I do feel sorry for her ex-husband, but not enough for her to be in a relationship with him again.  I would love to see him embrace her decision, move on and wish her happiness.  It would be nice to see him find someone to love, someone of a humble background so that it would drive his mother insane.  :D

How do I describe it?  The plot is fast paced; however, the story line is slow.  I have watched how they've moved from phase to phase in their relationship and not have had that out of breath, rushed feeling. The walks in-hand, the bicycle ride, playing in the sand on the beach, and thinking about each other smiling, makes me reminisce about when I was falling in love with my mate; the I can't wait to see him again feeling, smiling when I thought about him, and not being sure if I wanted to entered into a more permanent relationship with him.   I applaud the writer and the directors for  one of the most beautiful K-drama love stories I have seen in years.  Even the poems and illustrations are perfect. 

I am hoping for a happy ending.   

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

Aaahh at last I already finish watched epi 5-6..my laptop thank u for coming back alive :lol:

Wow what a roller coaster feeling that I have right now..happy (I'm literaly grinning ear to ear,watched sweet scene that sweeter than sugar :wub:),angry,sad arrrghh every emotion came out at once. Shk x Pbg give their character a soul;I'm falling in love with their eyes n smile especially,so masmerizeme..eyes really important I guess to convey someone feelings..totally LOVE it..oh n the actor whose role is ex husband,jang seung jo his quite good too,potraying the lonely n miserable ex :sweatingbullets: n handsome one to add haha

For me this is my TOP/FAVE scene in epi 5-6 (although I like it all,but yeah I have my own fave):

*When SH saw JH in a cafe all by himself,lifeless n suddenly became a ball of happiness after he got a message from SH n their art date

*Cute bickering between JH hyung dae chan n sec jang

*Convo between sec jang n SH in the car, n SH crying

*The way JH hold SH arms to look at him at the ending of epi 5

*Riding bike scene

*The scarf n holding hands scene

*Neck tie scene n the ex hubby saw it

*JH confrontation with the ex hubby n ex MIL

* SH worried face n wanting to interfere when JH being bullied by the ex MIL

*N of course the ending of epi 6 

@utkim do we have same thought,after JH find a way to come in SH house,what next?I will let my wild imagination take over :P

• Like 9
  • LOL 6

On 12/13/2018 at 10:55 AM, stroppyse said:

It seems that JH is coming very aware of the extraordinary pressures that SH has to accept as a matter of fact in her life, and how she has coped with it. In order to protect herself and her emotions, she has deliberately emotionally stunted herself. And, while it may be easy for him to say things such as "It won't be so bad if you can smile" to her, that is actually the naive point of view of youth that haven't had to deal with consequences as yet. He's been blessed to have grown up with a close, loving family, though perhaps he has a sunnier disposition than most.

So, it seems that this story is not just of SH being able to step out of her cage, but also of JH having to grow up about the world some during their relationship together, regardless of the length of the relationship. It's clear that they have both already affected and changed each other already, with more to go.

On 12/13/2018 at 11:15 AM, stroppyse said:

What they are doing rather well, however, is crafting an OTP that I want to root for, despite their insurmountable odds at actually being able to be together. It's like the choice that SH is potentially going to be facing of choosing either JH or basically her whole world, including her job and her family. When one has so much, it is very hard to leave everything behind to go to a subsistence living situation.

It's still not clear to me whether this drama tends to take the more realistic ending of having the OTP part at the end, or to keep it in a more fairytale realm and allow them to stay together.

@stroppyse sorry for cutting your posts.. I totally agree with you here. I'll be honest, I have a feeling this drama might not give us a happy ending where they end up together. Rather, it might be the type of drama that shows us how two people meet unexpectedly and have a profound effect on each other's lives. I really like that poem and the thought behind the painting they viewed under the bridge.. it's like JH and SH have no control over meeting each other and they keep bumping into each other repeatedly and they don't know what it all means and whether they should be together or not. But they do know they're drawn to each other.

I think episode 1 seemed somewhat slow because it lingered on scenes where JH was exploring Cuba and I think that was done on purpose to give us an idea of what JH is like - he is young, carefree and is the type who lives in the present and knows how to take it all in and enjoy the moment. He has an appreciation for what is happening right in front of him. SH on the other hand has lived a pretty confined life. We can see it in the way she spent her time in Cuba. She only went to the places she needed to go and wouldn't have ventured out on her own until she was encouraged to do so. 

Yes, there's an age gap between the OTP but I think we aren't really meant to focus on that gap. I think this show is doing an amazing job at showing us all the complexities of their relationship beyond the age gap. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Well, honestly this drama doesn’t give me any feeling that it will be a sad ending. I just have this strong feeling we will have a happy ending :Dtnboeu.gif

dc

as I am not good in analyzing arts, can only see if it’s beautiful or not, I dun understand their language  :P, I’m thankful for your help to make me appreciated the drama even more. Thanks :wub:

• Like 21