Confessions of a Drama Addict (Part 1): Their Most Favorite Drama Characters

partyon

1 hour ago, partyon said:

t's Yoongi's talk show. :kiss_wink: He invites people to come over for a drink and then he interviews them. So far he's been interviewing RM, Jimin, Shin Dong Yeop, Taeyang, Tablo, Lee Sung Min, etc. Actress Lee Na Young will be his first female guest. Apparently she's never done a talk show before, so it's super exciting to see her as a guest in Suchwita.

You can find the subbed episodes on YouTube. Account BANGTANTV uploads them. Teaser for ep 11:

Nice. I will watch an episode. But I like interviews so maybe I will watch all. :D

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 3

:waves: guys!!

I don't know why I am so late for the party.. :sweatingbullets: But still I can brag about my favorite oppa, right? :joy:

Well, this drama was released in streaming platforms last year. It didn't premiere in South Korea for some valid reason. I've been so longing to see him in the drama! He is playing as a professional hair stylist and I love when he shows off his skills in the drama! He took 3 months of training and you can see his dedication for his role.

And what I love about the drama is it's so soothing and light! It's a slice-of-life drama so I still enjoy binge-watching his scenes. He is so arrogant and has no clue about women and romance. :D But still, he makes it happen! I think @larus & @backstreetboysfan has already watched the drama! I want more people to discover it and enjoy as much as I did. :lol:

This is my Daniel oppa in Salon De Nabi. He is so handsome, right?? :heart:

FwYitVxagAIsUDS?format=jpg&name=large

The series was out at the time when my beloved father passed away last year! :bawling: I found myself comfortable while watching the drama so I am always thankful to him for accepting the role! It was such a wonderful journey!

Eagerly waiting for his next lead role! :dorashakes:

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 4

19 hours ago, madmad min said:

Yes Ju Ji Hun , I havent yet seen  the one with Rain, if I reckon that is a Makhajang Love Story...but have to be in that mindset lol...but I know I will Love it lmao....

@madmad min  Their drama was "A Love to Kill". Sorry for my ignorance, but what's Makhajang ? (hard love????)   :heart2beat:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 4

5 hours ago, gm4queen said:

He is playing as a professional hair stylist and I love when he shows off his skills in the drama! He took 3 months of training and you can see his dedication for his role.

That is true dedication! :love:

1 hour ago, joccu said:

Minshil was the greatest villain in the Great Queen Seondeok. 

Nice! I sometimes find that villains are the more interesting characters in many dramas. Take the kdrama Mask for example, the 2nd lead couple were the most interesting characters. I only finished the drama because of them.

X2WgJf.jpg

The weirdest married couple I've seen in a kdrama in a while.

:ilike:

@willenette A makjang drama is a drama that is "excessive" and "take things too far". Overdramatic plot twists, kimchi slaps, truck of dooms, birth secrets, the works.

1FiNsuZ.gif

This is a great example of a makjang drama:

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

39 minutes ago, partyon said:

Nice! I sometimes find that villains are the more interesting characters in many dramas. Take the kdrama Mask for example, the 2nd lead couple were the most interesting characters. I only finished the drama because of them.

The weirdest married couple I've seen in a kdrama in a while.

:ilike:

@willenette A makjang drama is a drama that is "excessive" and "take things too far". Overdramatic plot twists, kimchi slaps, truck of dooms, birth secrets, the works.

This is a great example of a makjang drama:

@partyon  thanks for the word info, dear. Now, I know..... hahaha - About "Mask", I watched it, too because of Ju Ji Hun and Yeon Jung Hoon. I do agree with you - they're an interesting characters. For me, they stole the story. For many episodes it was Suk Hoon (Yeon Jung Hoon) who fascinated me the most. Here, Suk Hoon has no conscience, no remorse, and no guilt. He believes his own lies, which is why he convinces so many people that he is trustworthy and on their side. Yeon Jung Hoon gives a brilliant performance as a sociopath.There is one thing I would have changed if I were the writer and that is to not try and humanize Suk Hoon by trying to show him capable of guilt at the very end of the drama. I find the drama good because it's happy-ending (for the main lead). I'm a sucker for happy-ending stories. I think it's one of the rare K-dramas that show the couple get married and have a child together...I also agree with you that villains are the more interesting characters in many dramas. Korean drama writers really need to leave their villains as villains and not try to bring them any sympathy or reform them. It's much more believable that they would not change by the end of the show after doing many heinous things throughout the show. I would have graded Mask a full A+ instead of an A if the show had

depicted a sociopath accurately from beginning to end.   :rubchin:

• Like 1
  • Blob 3

On 5/17/2023 at 2:16 AM, Lmangla said:

I feel like I have amnesia -- I like characters and then after a season, I forget the drama as well as the character. so it seems like I have watched so many that I can't nominate for this event. ^_^

Thank goodness!  I thought I'm the only one.  I gave up on choosing any ONE character.  In general, I'm most interested in watching dramas with a charismatic, kind, independent, wise, etc female lead.  Whenever I read a synopsis with a character like this, I'll usually sign up (but still not all) haha.

@MayanEcho Now that you mentioned it, Oshin is the best.  But I prefer her story when she was younger.  She's a tough one.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

7 minutes ago, YongZura⁷ said:

In general, I'm most interested in watching dramas with a charismatic, kind, independent, wise, etc female lead. 

Chingu, are you watching Doctor Cha? You might like it if you like those types of FL characters. :kiss_wink:

PS. Did you see my new DP? hehe

• Love 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

1 minute ago, partyon said:

Chingu, are you watching Doctor Cha? You might like it. :kiss_wink:

PS. Did you see my new DP?

I am :fullofhearts: It was binge-watching for me when I found out about it.

@partyon I thought I saw a different one a few days ago.  You'll have a few sets of him this year. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

11 minutes ago, YongZura⁷ said:

I am :fullofhearts: It was binge-watching for me when I found out about it.

Yay! It's such a good drama, no? I love how Doctor Cha is gaining her independence but still doing it in her own way and not letting others pressure her with regard to her future.

:biubiu:

One should not make hasty decisions when emotions are running high, so it's good that she's taking her time to think about her options.

Do join us on the drama thread if you have some time. :heartxoxo:

What else are you watching?

11 minutes ago, YongZura⁷ said:

@partyon I thought I saw a different one a few days ago.  You'll have a few sets of him this year. 

Yes! There are some amazing gifs available this year. Rotating gifs before Yoongi has to enlist. :kiss_wink:

• Like 1
  • Blob 3

By the way, speaking of favorite kdrama characters, I decided to do a rewatch of Mother (the Korean version that aired in 2018) together with @Sleepy Owl who had never watched it.

Watching it again (just finished the first 2 episodes and cried buckets again) and I do remember how all the mothers in this drama left a deep impression on me. Not sure they are my favorite, but they for sure are memorable.

Looking at the old thread here on this forum, and noticed that @justamom @Latte_Anyday @frozentundra @lclarakl @0ly40 @UnniSarah @chickfactor @irilight @Lunkera @-jadecloud- were all also active on the thread back in the day. :kiss_wink:

What are your thoughts? Are any of the Mother characters your favorite drama characters?

PS. If anyone is up for a rewatch of Mother, do join us. :kiss_wink:

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

7 hours ago, joccu said:

Minshil was the greatest villain in the Great Queen Seondeok. 

minshil was strong. She had lot of followers. And she had amazing plans.  She was really wise and had almost everyone eating in her hands. 

She is my favorite female antagonist till this day.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

8 hours ago, joccu said:

@partyon  @agenth  Minshil was the greatest villain in the Great Queen Seondeok. 

minshil was strong. She had lot of followers. And she had amazing plans.  She was really wise and had almost everyone eating in her hands. 

1 hour ago, larus said:

She is my favorite female antagonist till this day.

I do agree on this, I think she would be my most favorite female villain in Sageuk, and most probably in Kdramas as well. The only person who might come close to her in my opinion is this lady

MV5BZWM3YjNkYTktNTM5YS00YjhmLWIxNmQtODI3

She is Madam Jami from "Emperor of the Sea". I do remember her being a very smart businesswoman in the drama, and causing problems for the good guys in multiple instances. Also one of the main reasons why I remember her is because of the different hairstyles that she had throughout the drama, and some of them were pretty funny :loolz:

49fd0d9ac7f953a1b18e636003808522--intern

7 hours ago, partyon said:

I agree, both of them (I mean the 2nd leads) were very twisted and complex in nature. They made the drama a lot more interesting and that is why I also completed the drama :eats:

2 hours ago, partyon said:

By the way, speaking of favorite kdrama characters, I decided to do a rewatch of Mother (the Korean version that aired in 2018) together with @Sleepy Owl who had never watched it.

Watching it again (just finished the first 2 episodes and cried buckets again) and I do remember how all the mothers in this drama left a deep impression on me. Not sure they are my favorite, but they for sure are memorable.

While I had planned to rewatch it with @partyon Noona, I actually binge-watched it :loolz:

I just loved this drama, and it might actually be in my top 10 kdramas. I do agree with you Noona that each mother was memorable and left a deep impression on me as well. 

2 hours ago, partyon said:

What are your thoughts? Are any of the Mother characters your favorite drama characters?

If I am supposed to choose some, I would firstly go for Lee Hye Young's character Cha Young Shin who had adopted the FL. I just loved her character, she was not perfect, and she knew it. There were times when you would see her do something wrong, and later on we would see her think about it, accept and apologize for that. She is shown to be such a strong and intimidating character in the start, that you wouldn't really expect her to be that way. At the same time, she was such a sweet woman with pure soul. I just loved her.

Secondly I actually liked the Doctor there. There were times when he would just understand the situation and not really question FL about anything. He was helpful throughout the drama as well, and I just loved how understanding he was throughout the drama. I did like the detective too. 

3 hours ago, YongZura⁷ said:

At the moment I'm also watching The Good Bad Mother, another interesting FL.  

I am watching this drama as well Chingu, and enjoying it a lot. I think @agenth Chingu is also watching it :exercice:

@MayanEcho Chingu, thank you for the information on Oshin. I think someone else had also told me the same thing about it a couple of years ago that this drama is very dark at times. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

5 hours ago, YongZura⁷ said:

Now that you mentioned it, Oshin is the best.  But I prefer her story when she was younger.  She's a tough one.

Same, I prefer the childhood arc. I stopped seeing it at the episode wherein she was asked to feed her sis-in-law's baby while she was mourning her own baby.

1 hour ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Chingu, thank you for the information on Oshin. I think someone else had also told me the same thing about it a couple of years ago that this drama is very dark at times. 

Oshin would make one question a lot of things. For example, a year or two of a child being an indentured servant, in exchange of a sack of rice to feed her family. Is this even a fair exchange? Or the mother also leaving the house to work as a prostitute, while the father relies on seasonal jobs. 

There's this scene that little Oshin finds her mother in the brothel while entertaining clients, and she tells her mother, in admiration, that she had never seen her looking so beautiful. It's so messed up.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Blob 2

On 5/18/2023 at 12:33 AM, gm4queen said:

guys!!

I don't know why I am so late for the party..  But still I can brag about my favorite oppa, right? 

Well, this drama was released in streaming platforms last year. It didn't premiere in South Korea for some valid reason. I've been so longing to see him in the drama! He is playing as a professional hair stylist and I love when he shows off his skills in the drama! He took 3 months of training and you can see his dedication for his role.

And what I love about the drama is it's so soothing and light! It's a slice-of-life drama so I still enjoy binge-watching his scenes. He is so arrogant and has no clue about women and romance.  But still, he makes it happen! I think @larus & @backstreetboysfan has already watched the drama! I want more people to discover it and enjoy as much as I did. 

This is my Daniel oppa in Salon De Nabi. He is so handsome, right?? 

Yes, I did. I loved it it was good.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

@frozentundra such an amazing drama! :fullofhearts:

I didn't expect that I would cry again when watching the first 2 episodes. I don't think a kdrama has ever made me cry as much as that one did.

Which is your favorite drama character ever if you could choose only one?

• Blob 2