Confessions of a Drama Addict (Part 1): Their Most Favorite Drama Characters

partyon

On 5/19/2023 at 2:28 AM, MayanEcho said:

Same, I prefer the childhood arc. I stopped seeing it at the episode wherein she was asked to feed her sis-in-law's baby while she was mourning her own baby.

Really?  So you did not continue watching it till the end?  

I suddenly recall another favourite  FL character in the classic "Jewel In The Palace" or "Dae Jang Geum".  My sister even bought a set of DVDs for the drama.  Though I hate the political stuff in Sageuk, I love some other parts of it.  

• Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

46 minutes ago, YongZura⁷ said:

Really?  So you did not continue watching it till the end?

I wish I could, but that was also the time I had to stay longer in school. I just wanted dinner then sleep immediately. :sweatingbullets:

49 minutes ago, YongZura⁷ said:

suddenly recall another favourite  FL character in the classic "Jewel In The Palace" or "Dae Jang Geum".  My sister even bought a set of DVDs for the drama.  Though I hate the political stuff in Sageuk, I love some other parts of it.

I saw a bit of Jewel in the Palace. But they say the drama romanticised it? Real story was grim?

Political stuff can be very exhausting to watch when it's too one-sided, LOL. 

• Love 1
  • Blob 3

@partyon Thanks for the invite this time round. While I have a bunch of favourite dramas not so much with characters. Hard to remember the characters. So for the time being I will just go with these two. Perhaps when I remember a few more will add them later on as well.

Favourite Character - Carl Laker and Jung Ho by Ji Chang Wook in Smile Again (2010 Version) and Healer respectively. He was one of the early actors that I was introduced to in K-Dramas so he has a soft spot for me. In Healer he does a good job of being a bumbling guy but secretly he is the Mysterious Healer. found his double roles memorable in the show. Plus he had a good support team in it as well.

Favourite Character (Female) - Han Cha Ah in Bridal Mask. To be honest I found her character far more interesting than the female lead in that show. She was slightly more complex which made her more interesting. Leaving you to wonder if she was truly bad or was it due to the situation.

Bonus Mention. Kim So Hyun/Claudia Black in Fugitive Plan B. Considering that this was the drama that basically started it all for me had to have a character from that as well. Sure Rain was fun and all in that drama but she stands out because there were scenes when she had to speak in English with her employer and well she had a great accent to go along with it as well as the boss. Accent is a deal breaker for me at times. So she gets a mention not to add that she works in Hollywood films as well as a plus now. Anyone remember her in Avengers. :)

well will end this post over here for the time being until I recall some more characters. @partyon nice picks. have seen a few of those shows so know what you are talking about but the others have no idea. But am going to assume that they are just as good and will give them a shot when i get the time. Thanks for the indirect recommendations.

• Love 3

4 hours ago, yamiyugi said:

@partyon Thanks for the invite this time round. While I have a bunch of favourite dramas not so much with characters. Hard to remember the characters. So for the time being I will just go with these two. Perhaps when I remember a few more will add them later on as well.

Favourite Character - Carl Laker and Jung Ho by Ji Chang Wook in Smile Again (2010 Version) and Healer respectively. He was one of the early actors that I was introduced to in K-Dramas so he has a soft spot for me. In Healer he does a good job of being a bumbling guy but secretly he is the Mysterious Healer. found his double roles memorable in the show. Plus he had a good support team in it as well.

Favourite Character (Female) - Han Cha Ah in Bridal Mask. To be honest I found her character far more interesting than the female lead in that show. She was slightly more complex which made her more interesting. Leaving you to wonder if she was truly bad or was it due to the situation.

Bonus Mention. Kim So Hyun/Claudia Black in Fugitive Plan B. Considering that this was the drama that basically started it all for me had to have a character from that as well. Sure Rain was fun and all in that drama but she stands out because there were scenes when she had to speak in English with her employer and well she had a great accent to go along with it as well as the boss. Accent is a deal breaker for me at times. So she gets a mention not to add that she works in Hollywood films as well as a plus now. Anyone remember her in Avengers. :)

well will end this post over here for the time being until I recall some more characters. @partyon nice picks. have seen a few of those shows so know what you are talking about but the others have no idea. But am going to assume that they are just as good and will give them a shot when i get the time. Thanks for the indirect recommendations.

@yamiyugi  I guess I have to agree with you here - because it's big deal for me, too in watching K-dramas. Some are great, some had to work hard for their great accents. Others were gifted with growing up abroad and coming back to Korea with perfectly seasoned foreign language skills like Taecyeon and others. When English comes on in K-dramas, I immediately  pay more attention. If it’s good, I admire. If it’s bad, I get a good laugh. I’m sure many relate.   :shaq:   I also agree with you about RAIN in Fugitive Plan B.  It's flawed but enjoyable is how I would characterize this drama. 

• Insightful 1
  • Blob 2

On 5/20/2023 at 2:48 PM, yamiyugi said:

Ooooh, Ji Chang Wook is my oppa ! :love: Loved him in Healer too. I hadn't watched any of his dramas before Healer, and I was seriously impressed with his effortless and natural acting abilities. And he is hot. That's when I knew I needed to add him to my oppa list.

On 5/20/2023 at 2:48 PM, yamiyugi said:

Favourite Character (Female) - Han Cha Ah in Bridal Mask. To be honest I found her character far more interesting than the female lead in that show.

I have not watched Gaksital (even though I probably should because it stars my Joo Won oppa :emmm:).

Apparently Han Chae Ah played a character named Ra Ra?

Gaksital-003.jpg

She looks evil but I suspect she's a more complex character than that?

I have often found second FLs or MLs to be more interesting than the FL / ML - Mask being one of the dramas.

21 hours ago, willenette said:

When English comes on in K-dramas, I immediately  pay more attention. If it’s good, I admire. If it’s bad, I get a good laugh.

Yes, we've seen quite a few attempts through the years... Aigoo, just this week I heard someone "butcher" the German language in Family. Not to mention Vincenzo, who couldn't at times pronounce his own name correctly in Italian... :flushed:

• LOL 4

I just realized that I dont have favorite characters.   :unsure:

Some characters I liked....

- Dong Mae...Mr. Sunshine

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFBdg8WMBE_S9q5mT7Nes

- Bang Won...SFD

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ99_z6uPUJ6UM68CsrBj0

- The FL(Yan Hui)....Back From The Brink

- The FL, Yin Lou...Unchained Love

dilirebas.tumblr.com - Tumbex

ctto

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, rocher22 said:

I just realized that I dont have favorite characters.   :unsure:

It's okay. I had to think as well. I was surprised with your list as you only listed historical characters :D

23 hours ago, yamiyugi said:

Carl Laker

What do you like about this character? My curiosity is piqued, as we mostly know JCW post-Empress Ki / Healer. 

• Love 2
  • Wiggle 1

Part 2..     :D

NGM's character....The Girl Who Sees Smells

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRijXTD1f_SXHalISuvdk_

Suhyeok...  All Of Us Are Dead

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRkmklNjPirLtEjXbyvWP

The prosecutor, Ha Min..   Children of the Lesser God

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhaxygyEEpQLH8VTbGFyd

The female detective, Je Yi...   The Veil

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlORBb6R-uLH-LBkg7v7K

Eul Tae....  Bulgasal

kdramadaily — netflixdramas: Lee Joon 이준 as Ok Eul Tae in...

ctto

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
  • Wiggle 1

6 hours ago, partyon said:

Ooooh, Ji Chang Wook is my oppa ! :love: Loved him in Healer too. I hadn't watched any of his dramas before Healer, and I was seriously impressed with his effortless and natural acting abilities. And he is hot. That's when I knew I needed to add him to my oppa list.

Yes, we've seen quite a few attempts through the years... Aigoo, just this week I heard someone "butcher" the German language in Family. Not to mention of Vincenzo couldn't at times pronounce his own name correctly in Italian... :flushed:

@partyon  same here, dear - he's one of my biases, too! I first watched him in "Empress Ki". I guess that was his breakthrough role, although - spoiler ahead

Spoiler

he died in the drama......sigh)

After this drama, I followed ALL his works. He is so good at his craft…he brings you right along for the ride. And I very much agree with you - he's sexy & HOT! He is so enchanting.  :kisslevel:   About Vincenzo, Song Joong Ki once shared that he have worked very hard along with an Italian tutor and yes he have studied Italian, too. He even admitted that Italian is “a very difficult language.” For his role as Vincenzo, he needed to speak Italian in several of the show's scenes.   :kaching3:

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

3 hours ago, rocher22 said:

Eul Tae....  Bulgasal

This is Lee Joon, no?

16 minutes ago, Dear-Amberaranya Anarhanni said:

My favourite female lead is Bai Feng Jiu by Dilraba Dilmurat

Is Bai Feng Jiu the main character in Three Lives Three Worlds, The Pillow Book? 

It's a drama that I haven't watched but I know it's super popular with many chingus on this forum. @MayanEcho @SC2019 @Lmangla @Wuzetian @SilverDawn come to mind. :kiss_wink:

What made her character memorable?

• Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

7 minutes ago, partyon said:

What made her character memorable?

In the 3L3W universe, Bai Feng Jiu is the only red nine-tailed fox, the second most beautiful (her aunt Bai Qian is the first), born with a phoenix flower birthmark on her forehead, the only granddaughter of the Bai, and the youngest Qing Qiu queen. 

What makes her memorable... or rather, infamous? :D

1. Destroyed the supposed husband-to-be's palace and leveled a mountain when she was married off against her will. Spurned husband would still commission a portrait of hers to look at in his new home.

2. She's a good cook! At the same time, she got iron stomach, LOL. The only one who didn't die or get poisoned eating the sweet and sour fishes cooked by Dong Hua.

3. She's also very good with swords, courtesy of her father Bai Yi. For a royal, she was raised very independently, and known for her knack of courting trouble.

4. Young as she was, she's known to be very loyal to her people and subjects, even if she may lose her life for their sake.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Wow, your lists bring me so many memories of dramas that I loved!! :sweet:

As for me, I have lots of favorites, haha!! I will try to shortlist them, but cannot choose only one:

Kdrama Male lead:

1. Nam Shin III (Are you human too?)

2. Kim Tak Gu (King of baking)

3. Emperor Ta Hwan (Empress Ki)

4. Min (Hello Monster)

5. Kyung Joon (Big)

Kdrama Female lead:

1. Seung Nyang (Empress Ki)

2. Bok Ju (Weighlifting fairy Kim Bok Ju)

3. Hae Soo (Moon lovers, Scarlet heart)

4. Goo Hae Ryung (Rookie storian Goo Hae Ryung)

5. Hye Sung (I hear your voice)

Jdrama Male lead:

1. Komikado sensei (Legal High)

2. Sakaki Makio (My boss, my hero)

3. Nakatsu (Hana Kimi)

Jdrama Female lead:

1. Okitegami Kyoko (Okitegami Kyoko no biboroku)

2. Mami (Talio fukushu daiko no futari)

3. Ashiya Mizuki (Hana Kimi)

Special mention from Cdramas: Su Su + Ye Hua from Ten miles of peach blossoms.

And finally from other media, I'd pick Daenerys from Game of Thrones (only until season 7) and Damon from The vampire diaries.:fullofhearts:

• Love 3
  • Wiggle 1

8 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Di alam semesta 3L3W, Bai Feng Jiu adalah satu-satunya rubah merah berekor sembilan, yang tercantik kedua (bibinya Bai Qian adalah yang pertama), lahir dengan tanda lahir bunga phoenix di dahinya, satu-satunya cucu dari Bai, dan ratu Qing Qiu termuda. 

Apa yang membuatnya berkesan... atau lebih tepatnya, terkenal? :D

1. Menghancurkan istana calon suami dan meratakan gunung ketika dia dinikahkan di luar keinginannya. Suami yang ditolak masih akan meminta potretnya untuk dilihat di rumah barunya.

2. Dia koki yang baik! Pada saat yang sama, dia punya perut besi, LOL. Satu-satunya yang tidak mati atau keracunan memakan ikan asam manis yang dimasak oleh Dong Hua.

3. Dia juga sangat mahir menggunakan pedang, milik ayahnya Bai Yi. Untuk seorang bangsawan, dia dibesarkan dengan sangat mandiri, dan dikenal karena bakatnya dalam masalah pacaran.

4. Semuda dia, dia dikenal sangat setia kepada rakyat dan rakyatnya, bahkan jika dia mungkin kehilangan nyawanya demi mereka.

Thank you very much for the explanation

On 5/19/2023 at 1:34 PM, partyon said:

Which is your favorite drama character ever if you could choose only one?

Did you not see me carefully sidestepping the question? :D I love a lot of drama characters and don't know how to narrow it down. I love a lot of Lee Jong Suk's characters--Go Nam Soon (School 2013), Park Soo Ha (I Hear Your Voice), Dalpo (Pinocchio), Kang Chul (W). They have a vulnerability that they try to hide, but you can tell they feel deeply.

I love Mudeok (Alchemy of Souls). I love Buyeon, too, but something about the Mudeok incarnation really got to me; she's a bit like some of the LJS characters above. And I love Jang Uk (AOS) for just being a regular guy, no big drama, but he tries so hard.

I love Han Hyo Joo's characters Go Eun Sun (Brilliant Legacy) and Oh Yeon Joo (W) because they are the kind of people I would be friends with in real life. Plus I'm an artist, so you know, saving the ones you love by drawing is rather appealing to me. :)

Not Korean, but Dongfang Qingcang is all kinds of memorable (Love Between Fairy and Devil). I think I would run screaming from such a person in real life, but in fiction his transformation is just SO MUCH, I can't help but be invested.

I love the Rat (Jung Man Bok) in Crash Landing on You--to me his story is the most pitable, and so his courage shines the most. I guess I love Ri Jeong Hyuk's dad, the stiff government leader, in that one, too. 

I love Louis in Shopping King Louis for being dumb and loveable on the surface but also smart underneath. And for the penguin walk. 

I love Kang Han Soo in Joseon Attorney for all his many layers--crazy, vengeful, unhinged, silly and flamboyant, deadly serious, deeply wounded, razor smart, wildly in love. Just an enjoyable character to watch.

Um...I need to stop. :D 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Wiggle 1

On 5/21/2023 at 6:44 PM, MayanEcho said:

What makes her memorable... or rather, infamous? :D

She sure has a lot talents! :heartxoxo:

On 5/21/2023 at 6:44 PM, MayanEcho said:

The only one who didn't die or get poisoned eating the sweet and sour fishes cooked by Dong Hua.

Am not sure she would have made it out alive from a meal prepared by the mage Park Jin in Alchemy of Souls :D

No one was immune :D

23 hours ago, Rollito Deprimavera said:

2. Kim Tak Gu (King of baking)

This role was played by Yoon Shi Yoon oppa, no?

I remember @Lmangla sweetie loving the drama too. :wub:

4. Min (Hello Monster)

Omo! The "villain" role. He was good. But scary.

3. Emperor Ta Hwan (Empress Ki)

@agenth will be your best friend forever. :D I also liked Ta Hwan even though he was extremely childish and volatile from time to time. There was something very interesting about his character despite all of that.

5 hours ago, frozentundra said:

I love a lot of Lee Jong Suk's characters

I think you missed Big Mouth? Or should we forget that drama? I know it's not making my rewatch list. hehe :D

Plus I'm an artist, so you know, saving the ones you love by drawing is rather appealing to me. :)

Omo! That is so cool, chingu! :kiss_wink:

My drawings look like this:

enhanced-31113-1468981802-6.jpg

This on a good day... :sweatingbullets:

@frozentundra Since you like dramas with drawings, maybe you watched Hello Monster (I Remember You)? It featured drawings heavily as one main theme.

You-27.jpg?ssl=1

I love Louis in Shopping King Louis for being dumb and loveable on the surface but also smart underneath. And for the penguin walk. 

Ooh, Ms Koko @kokodus loved him too! :love:

Um...I need to stop. :D 

Noooo.... Don't stop! It's so much fun to read about these characters. :dorakiss:

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Wiggle 1

Plus I'm an artist, so you know, saving the ones you love by drawing is rather appealing to me. :)

Ooo, you gotta try Under the Skin cdrama, wherein one of the two MLs is a forensic artist. So plenty of drawing and sketches in this drama!

15 minutes ago, partyon said:

Am not sure she would have made it out alive from a meal prepared by the mage Park Jin in Alchemy of Souls :D

It's talent or sorcery to survive awfully cooked/prepared food that scares away the soul. :lol:

• LOL 3

7 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Ooo, you gotta try Under the Skin cdrama, wherein one of the two MLs is a forensic artist. So plenty of drawing and sketches in this drama!

justin-timberlake.gif

While you're at it, @frozentundra please also consider watching Doctor Cha. The daughter in the family is an aspiring artist!

fair-play-robin.gif

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I love the doggy, @partyon

Big Mouth was all right. I really enjoyed the humor moments and the relationship in the little family. LJS's character was just fine, it's just that in the end

Spoiler

I didn't get the point of the story. He spent the whole time trying to NOT be the violent criminal he was framed as being, and then...whoops, I guess we're gonna turn into Big Mouse and knock off our enemies... Like, I didn't get the point.

But I don't watch a lot of noir, maybe they are all like that? 

• Love 1
  • Blob 1