My corner of Soompi

Lmangla

Hello my lovelies~ it's great to see you here! 

MY CORNER:

Just returned from my holiday where I accidentally lost the path on a hill so I was literally between trees (and I really was panicked, as I was stuck there.) ...  I noticed I get lost without internet connection / phone :D. But despite this, I am mentally planning my next travel ~  but I hope I will get the opportunity pre-2023 again....

I also experienced my first afternoon tea at the inspiration for Orient Express movie and I really loved it there ~!

Big Brother Snacks GIF by Big Brother Australia

This summer I also met new people, am experiencing a new side of myself too, I somehow achieve things I wouldn't have thought possible before. 

DRAMALAND:

Extraordinary Lawyer Woo Young Woo: Enjoyed this a lot before the focus shifted to the "secondary" couple, actually the SML is a jerk and I don't like the story it takes, because he did a lot of bad things to our FL and it's being cheapened...

If You Wish Upon Me:

img.gif

Yep. I'm a goner. What did you expect? The emotions, the dog, the colors. And of course my oppa. Join us in watching If you Wish Upon Me, if you want a new drama that is depicting how people try to find purpose of life. 

---

21 hours ago, rocher22 said:

I finished the Israeli series ''Tehran S2 ''...Glenn Close was excellent...   

ooh this sounds interesting, I missed out on s1.

23 hours ago, gm4queen said:

I've never ever dropped any of his dramas so far. But Today's Webtoon might take the cake. I am so upset. I don't want any romance here....

oh noes! but focus on wet daniel's hair instead? I do think he looks good there... so I will probably checkout fly butterfly :D

On 8/15/2022 at 7:43 PM, Dramafreak said:

I guess, am in a mood for romance and Harry Potter style thrill :D

I want to watch Sound of Magic and Tell me Your Wish... might pick up Big Mouth but we will see. Live watching is a pain and I like binge watching :D I wish I could unsee Alchemy of Souls and binge watch it all over again. I wish they would make the season two asap!

Other than that am job searching (unsuccessfully) and trying to do some boring tasks that pay my bills. Bought some books but not read more than a chapter or two! Here it has been raining a lot and I just like doing nothing except observing the rain and looking at the sky. Started learning korean... at last! Have the oral and written exam this week. I am dreading the reading and writing part. Am so unprepared :( 

OMG WATCH BOTH SOUND OF MAGIC AND TELL ME YOUR WISH!!!

I'm sorry I just get super excited when I see someone wanting to watch my oppa's dramas! TSOM and TMYW are different flavours of dramas, so it's good to see them as you will see new, different things. The soundtrack to TSOM  is amazing, and of course the meaning behind the story, as it's based on a webtoon. Only 6 episodes, chingu! You can do it!

Re: Job search - i wish you good luck! I had a hard time looking for a job too some time ago but now I am quite happy at what I found. Take your time and enjoy the time you have pre-job as well.  

On 8/15/2022 at 2:14 PM, MayanEcho said:

I finished a few dramas while hiding from the heat. One made me laugh, another gave fuzzy feels. I wish that one followed more faithfully the novel it was based from though, since the supposed mind-boggling "darkness" and "heartaches" were omitted or downplayed in the drama.  I suppose producers decided to go that way for ratings and viewers. However, I rather think that the drama would be more impressive and have greater name recall if those scenes in the book were kept. 

There's another drama that quite disappointed because the other half of the main leads is so awkward to watch. Fearless forecast: some rising artists will overtake this person's fame in a couple years if acting doesn't level up. 

sorry if i've missed it, but which dramas where you talking about? 

On 8/15/2022 at 5:10 PM, joccu said:

Well I started book challenge with @confusedheart. I have one book left to read. It been amazing to read books that you maybe would not normally read. 

which book would you recommend to me the most? I've been trying to get back into reading but haven't had the opportunity to jump back in. 

3 hours ago, madmad min said:

-----> My Girl lol and became a fan , why no shows like this anymore also the ost is so good

haha word. this is my fave song from the OST, and yours? 

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

On 8/15/2022 at 12:50 PM, frozentundra said:

Not yet. Disney is not airing it in North America, South America, or Europe, which I can. not. understand. They buy up streaming rights to Kdramas and then never show them in most of the world, it's crazy.

Yes, I am so not happy with what they are doing! Boo to Disney+. (At the moment, the only K-drama available on Disney+ in the U.S. is "Snowdrop," which they made available after the entire series had aired.)

My theory on why they do this: in the U.S., Disney+ is thought of as a kid-friendly service. Parents do not expect adult fare on that channel at all, and they've been complaining about it.

https://www.avclub.com/daredevil-disney-plus-parents-group-complaints-1848646231

Shows like "Big Mouth" is adult fare and should not be watched by children. I'm assuming that is why it's not available in the U.S., and probably never will be.

So I wish that Disney+ would just stay out of the K-drama business - most of it is not for young children, so leave it to Netflix or Viki or whatever, please? But at the same time, I'm assuming that they are making money in South Korea and other countries where the K-dramas are available, so...

Yeah, it's a bummer.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 2

7 hours ago, confusedheart said:

Did you enjoy the drama? I liked the book, though just read just the Part 1, I liked the book more. The onscreen representation failed to make an impact, expect the handsome LMH. 

No I couldn't find the momentum to watch the drama, not even for a hot scene with LMH! LOL

Not sure if it's the age thing, it's just so hard to get into a drama... anytime I see something interesting and the recap is available on dramabeans, I just speed run the whole thing by reading LOL If the story is good then I will start on the drama..

During the hiatus for AoS, I read the whole recap for Hwayugi (due to time constraint :smirk: and mostly because I don't have the stomach for horror :skull:) I must say that I also really like the romance there! It's the same FL with cafe minamdang no? And Lee Seung Gi is reuniting with Lee Se Young in a drama properly featuring them as the OTP...

On 8/16/2022 at 3:57 AM, nohamahamoud2002 said:

Starring Anthony Hopkins? I watched it many times, Hopkins is just so good. This is one of my favourite Hopkins movies, I like "The Edge" too

Anthony Hopkins? Hannibal Lecter!!! My favorite fictional villain of all time.. Highly recommend Silence of the lambs for anyone here into psychological horror mystery, though for me I prefer the book 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

@confusedheart - I don't like the ending of the Eve, the entire story is too dragy, full of obsession of love, lust and revenge....if you ask me whether the FL lead will choose 2nd ML since he is flying over to Spain to find her at the end, I don't think so, she still love the first ML deep inside her heart...

I would recommend you to watch a short Kdrama (total 4 EP) - "Boar hunting" or "Hunted" at MBC channel. A thriller, mysterious with a surprising plot. You can binge watch it. I almost gave up on this show at the beginning because it didn't have a popular actor or actress, but looking at the synopsis mentioning one of the MBC's best screenplays, I was hooked as the storyline developed... Trust me, you won't regret watching it. :)

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

11 hours ago, Lmangla said:

kekekke.... I find your bird story and update so cute! :lol:

so what kind of bird is it?

chingus, I have been in a kdrama slump. so watching lot of random stuff -- some local content, documentaries and whatever I end up coming across. am trying to get back to watching kdrama rhythm again. lets see. I need a drama and thread that is all chatty! even soompi forum has been rather quiet lately. 

otherwise, quiet summer. I started exercising again after a gap of 2 years. telling myself before every class - fighting!! and then coming home feeling all bruised and super tired. :sweatingbullets:

Tiki is a Lineolated parakeet (Linnie).  They're small like an American parakeet, but have a short tail, walks like a parrot and has big round eyes.  

Keep exercising!  It makes you feel better.  I dread exercising some days, but after I'm done, I feel better.  

8 hours ago, confusedheart said:

Oh yes! Which one is your favourirte book? I have a kindle but I don't enjoy reading on a kindle. I still bend up buying paperbacks and then once I have read them, I don't know what to do with them. 

I just started and I liked the Amos Decker character.  I have another one that I'm going to start, Absolute Power.

I'm probably one of the few who did not like the Pachinko, the book.  It started off interesting, then I couldn't wait to finish it.  I thought some of it needed more of an explanation (1) why did the Japanese yakusa allow his daughter to marry Hansu, a Korean?  Yes, he came to "respect" both, but, allowing his daughter to marry a Korean?  Wouldn't that be scandalous?  I guess no one questions a yakusa; (2) why did Noa commit suicide?  He had a wife and kids.  Was he that selfish?  I couldn't get past either of those to really say the book is as good as claimed.  

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 3

11 hours ago, gm4queen said:

Yes chingu! Today's Webtoon is the Korean remake of the Japanese version. Inspired by a manga, Japanese version is said to have no romance. I wonder what would happen in the Korean drama though...

Korean dramas just cannot stay away from romance. They HAVE to include it in every single drama. :smashes:

Extraordinary Attorney Woo was pretty fine up until it started focusing on romance. It's been going downhill since then. :unamused:

And oppa's Tell Me Your Wish drama started angling on the romance already in ep 2. Even though the drama has some extremely heavy themes which for the story's sake should be the main focus.

8 hours ago, lilyphenix said:

French, English, German.

Are you European?

Wanna join our Eurovision Song Contest Club?

jungkook-looking-jungkook-run.gif

@larus @joccu @agenth @the_sweetroad @Ameera Ali @Idylla Kaizoku and I are already members!  

:dorakiss:

3 hours ago, kwayteow_mama said:

During the hiatus for AoS, I read the whole recap for Hwayugi

Good choice! :approves:

That drama was a DISASTER!

:evilelmo:

I really want the time I invested in watching this drama back... :bawling:

2 hours ago, CarolynH said:

I'm probably one of the few who did not like the Pachinko, the book.  It started off interesting, then I couldn't wait to finish it. 

Chingu, most people I know didn't love the book. I loved the first part of the book, but from there on it just went downhill. There were too many characters - the story was too convoluted and it was honestly quite boring.
I didn't like the drama either because it kept jumping between the different eras.

Dropped it

Sheldon Whitehouse Mic Drop GIF by GIPHY News

• Like 2
  • Love 5

6 hours ago, frozentundra said:

Still. If they aren't going to air it, can't they let someone else have the streaming rights??

This is a good point. @chickfactor @frozentundra To be fair I never understood why they are going for kdramas anyway. K-dramas are not really their core business and the target audience / demographics just don't match up?

I Have No Idea Shrug GIF

Also, I've noticed that many of the dramas they invest in have idol actors who have never acted before or have very little acting experience. Seems their main focus is on getting young kpop fans to tune in. Regardless if the drama is good or not. Or the acting. :unamused:

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, CarolynH said:

Tiki is a Lineolated parakeet (Linnie).  They're small like an American parakeet, but have a short tail, walks like a parrot and has big round eyes.  

Keep exercising!  It makes you feel better.  I dread exercising some days, but after I'm done, I feel better.  

tiki is such a cute name. looked it up and the bird looks cute. so what colour is it? 

yea, I am exercising for health reasons and not necessarily to lose weight. I just wanted to feel more fit and active. otherwise, I was starting to feel tired even after doing something like cleaning. just need to get back into the rhythm of having a regular life. the pandemic really played havoc with us. sucks. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

Just now, partyon said:

Big Mouth, sweetie, Big Mouth! It's your style. :coolshades:

is it? I just need to find the motivation to watch it. I keep thinking each day I will get around to it but instead the day just flies by and I have no idea what I was watching earlier. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 4

2 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

is it? I just need to find the motivation to watch it. I keep thinking each day I will get around to it but instead the day just flies by and I have no idea what I was watching earlier. 

Sweetie....

Just Do It Shia GIF by MOODMAN

• LOL 6

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

I am exercising for health reasons and not necessarily to lose weight. I just wanted to feel more fit and active. otherwise, I was starting to feel tired even after doing something like cleaning. just need to get back into the rhythm of having a regular life. the pandemic really played havoc with us. sucks. 

Sorry to hear that. We noticed at our house that even after we were "well," the exhaustion would come back and haunt us, and we'd feel exhausted after doing some normal activity (but not consistently--one day it would be okay, another day we'd be wiped out). Husband is a marathon runner and particularly noticed it. And even if you didn't get that from covid, just being under basically house arrest for a year will do that for you, too. I hope you can feel back to normal soon!

1 hour ago, partyon said:

Also, I've noticed that many of the dramas they invest in have idol actors who have never acted before or have very little acting experience. Seems their main focus is on getting young kpop fans to tune in. Regardless if the drama is good or not. Or the acting. :unamused:

Big Mouth has some heavy hitting true actors (and so does the upcoming Moving), but yes, overall I have noticed the trend of them going for dramas that cast music idols. It's very weird (and frustrating), because when you want to listen to music, it's nicer to listen to people who can actually sing (and sing a good song). Under the same logic, if you want to watch a drama, it's preferable to watch one that's well written and where the actors can actually act. That's sort of the POINT. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1

11 hours ago, confusedheart said:

Definitely one of the most fascinating writers. 

I had read Camus' L' etranger many years ago in English and it was really depressing. Existentialism is not my cuppa a tea.

I think that's why I watch silly shows, it shows that life is silly, unpredictable, it changes and it can be glorious or the opposite.

• Like 5
  • Blob 2

12 hours ago, confusedheart said:

Heard a lot about both the books but isn't but They Both Die in The End a YA? Is Rich Dad , Poor Dad about how to make money? I need some strategies. 

You have been busy! 

That definitely gave me some food for thought. I should learn to be more thankful and grateful for all that I am blessed with 

@confusedheart sorry, but, what do you mean by this? (but isn't but They Both Die in The End a YA?) -  Yes, the theme of "Rich Dad Poor Dad" is how to use money as a tool for wealth development. It destroys the myth that the rich are born rich.   :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Blob 4

15 hours ago, confusedheart said:

Definitely one of the most fascinating writers. 

A deep thinker. My favourite quote from him - In the midst of winter, I found that deep within me there lies an invincible summer. 

Have fun, chingu! I want to go to SK and buy lots of skincare products. I am a big skincare junkie. 

Thank you! I go there for the same thing :joy:- they've very good ones for hydration!! 

You are re such a fast learner!

I've got a good master to whip me into shape. Muahahahaha!!

@partyon

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, frozentundra said:

Sorry to hear that. We noticed at our house that even after we were "well," the exhaustion would come back and haunt us, and we'd feel exhausted after doing some normal activity (but not consistently--one day it would be okay, another day we'd be wiped out). Husband is a marathon runner and particularly noticed it. And even if you didn't get that from covid, just being under basically house arrest for a year will do that for you, too. I hope you can feel back to normal soon!

thanks for the encouragement. I never understood the concept of recluse in books or movies but the pandemic really made me understand how that happens. there is a kind of mental fatigue that sort of settles in when you are in the house too long and even something like shopping (which you used to enjoy) seems a bit intimidating. like you said, one day you feel well to do regular things and the next you are wiped out. 

so I am glad to slowly ease back into exercising. had to search around as my old trainer was no longer available and I didn't feel comfortable with the few places I looked at. then you again have to motivate yourself to keep looking. so I am really glad to find a class and trainer that I feel comfortable with. she pushes but at the same time, tells me to listen to my body and not push too hard. the group is a nice bunch and rather chatty. so yea, I hope to feel normal soon. :)

• Like 1
  • Blob 3