[Drama 2020] Do You Like Brahms?, 브람스를 좋아하세요?

larus

8 minutes ago, calledtoteach said:

I just picked this show up and am so depressed by it.  Are the previous episodes as pathetically sad, or is it worth going back and watching from the beginning?  The main leads are such good actors.

It is actually a lovely drama, we are just hitting the frustrating part that happens in every drama. Watch from the beginning so you can see why we love them...and hurt for them. 

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Jillia said:

@debbsthebee

@minsunieI'm invested as well! :wub: And it's so weird because I'm actually torn between wanting her to keep loving her violin and fight for her dream but at the same time I want her to think about it realistically (without Sung Jae, Professor Lee on her mind) and make a decision which will make her happy. I feel for her pain and I think many musicians have the same mindset like her but never become big in the classical world.

I think it hurts to watch this drama because the competitive world is so real. And we can even put it on our own lives, even if we're not musicians, dancers and so on. :D

Me tooooooo I’m so torn too... yes the competitive world and the whole struggle for when one is not acknowledged to have the Required talent vs “realistic/practical” is so so real. 

• Like 7
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, Jillia said:

PD-nim to Kim Min Jae: "Act like you've never seen or used an umbrella before."

Kim Min Jae :lol::

He looked so touched when given the brolly... and this scene is so cute- he has never had a a home, and SA is a home base for him! 

• Like 2
  • Love 7
  • Awesome 1

Thank you for sharing this interview @Sky8lue :)

Does this mean we never see them speaking informally ? Lol 

And also perhaps we don't see them performing the Frank Sonata ? 

The question about his thumb was also intriguing.. he keeps playing with them with Song Ah, while holding her hand, hugging her and of course while kissing . Whoever asked that question, we'll done :2540_meh:

• Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Wiggle 3

I do love this drama but can we have more skinship from our OTP?  It's so frustrating at times when everything is against them when they are both very nice people.  More skinship (not just holding hands but shoulder hugs and back hugs and all kinds of hug there is in dramaworld) would alleviate the frustration so we'll see the 'you and me against the world' thing.  Then there'd be less angst and slapping and kicking for us. :sweet:

Edited by Leni Rosos
  • Like 4
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1

The number of toxic people in this drama are crazy :wut: So frustratingggfff:triumph:

SA was too gloomy and dispirited in these latest 2 eps.. and JY is facing more and more problems.. so sad :tears: our OTP is surrounded by all those awful circumstances, so please at least don’t give any room for misunderstanding between each other.. or else i can’t even imagine how more frustrating the story will go..

• Like 9
  • Love 2

Chingus, I am honestly resigned SA and JY are meant to suffer. After ep. 12, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to suicide, mostly JY! :bawling::bawling::bawling:

And I know it sounds exaggerated, but man... they are so trapped in a nest of serpents... very toxic environment... trapped with no ways out. 

JY's father is such a trash person! His mother is such a loser... 

SA's destiny in the classical music's world so cursed, simply because she started later than the others. 

The reasoning everybody is giving you is: you can only be this and in this time. Anything else and you are worthless. 

And the sad part is... I would believe it is true, exactly like that in real life. In such an industry, nobody helps you, unless it is convenient for them in their original agenda. Nobody cares if you succeed... But they will care in order to criticize you and if possible, destroy you, so that they can be first. 

It is a world where people will step on you without hesitation, if that helps them to be ahead of you and others... 

It makes me so sick!!! 

I love classical music, but then again... if that's the way classical musicians treat one another, I am so disappointed!

Now the music is not guilty... I loved the scene of SA just hugging her violin, as to say, "poor baby instrument, he only wants to play, but I am a mother that cannot protect him"... It was so sad that it almost made me cry. 

I am done expecting anything better about anybody in this show... And poor Song ah and poor Joon young are victims who possibly would be happier away from the classical music environment of that university and its adults, but also few family members and ex friends... 

Poor OTP... I came into this party, in order to suffer with them. 

:confused:

• Sad 11

35 minutes ago, loveiskim said:

The number of toxic people in this drama are crazy. So frustratingggfff:triumph:
SA was too gloomy and dispirited in these latest 2 eps.. and JY is facing more and more problems.. so sad :tears: our OTP is surrounded by all those awful circumstances, so please at least don’t give any room for misunderstanding between each other.. or else i can’t even imagine how more frustrating the story will go..

ITA. I just finished watching both episodes and I kept wondering if people really live their lives that way surrounded by toxic people. I am honestly curious because I have never experienced anything like what JY and SA both endure from the people around them whether in school, work, family or social groups. Is this a reflection or exaggeration of SK’s society?

Let’s look at JY’s parents. Why are they doing this to him? I completely don’t get how parents can financially burden their kid perpetually like this without a care. It’s like they’re stifling their kid to death. The mother, why did she allow the diner in her husband’s name that allows him to use it as collateral? Is there some law in SK that allows him to automatically have legal right over the diner because of his marriage? With his egregious financial history, maybe it would have been better to legally protect it from his grasp. Too late though. No wonder JY is struggling with his piano. He probably negatively associates it with the financial woes that plagues him through his extremely inconsiderate parents. 

SA is probably facing her most difficult phase yet. I honestly don’t know what to think about the issue this time because there are some truths in what others say about the projection of her musical career. I do wonder if she will continue to enjoy music once she tries to make it a career. Somehow that industry seems brutal and it doesn’t seem to be for the faint of heart. In comparison, look at JY that is considered to be talented yet it seems that because another peer did better than him in a competition, he suddenly is no longer appealing enough to sell out a concert. Is this path really worth it for SA? I think she will have to decide for herself. In the process, I really hope she quits that professor. The woman isn’t even trying to instruct, correct or teach her. The only person gaining value from that relationship is the professor. 

• Like 11
  • Love 1

@Jillia

Agree with you about the melodrama here :) I do find there is a bit of difference, that is, the first time, when they were friends, what Song Ah did was to break off from the friendship with Joon Young. For this 2nd time, they are a couple. I wonder what would Song Ah? :)

• Like 4
  • Love 3

12 minutes ago, rozelan said:

@Jillia

Agree with you about the melodrama here :) I do find there is a bit of difference, that is, the first time, when they were friends, what Song Ah did was to break off from the friendship with Joon Young. For this 2nd time, they are a couple. I wonder what would Song Ah? :)

when thinking about it I agree this is probably the intention from the writer to ask this time as they are now couple how will SA react to this. I would think since we are at the climax it is meant to move something further and creating a change we finally want. yeah, ep 12 was frustrating to watch, but I like to think it is meant to force our two to finally make a stand in their life both in love and music. 

• Like 6
  • Love 4

Okay, so I haven't completely watched episode 12 and I think its best for me to watch just clips of episode 13. Here is my take on everything!

I agree with everyone that the repetition in scenarios is getting to be excessive at this point. I think the writer really wants everyone to reach their breaking point before they are able to heal. I get it these scenarios are getting old. I am going to focus on some of the positives. I no longer doubt JY's feelings toward Song-ah. Episode 11 did a great job in solidifying that for me. He is in awe of her ..sigh.. why can't she see it. Everything in episode 11 is wonderful. It has angst and some sweetness (unlike episode 12 which is full on angst).

The biggest problems in their relationship is they are way too considerate with each other and Songah's insecurities. In episode 12, Songah, she believes in giving him space after JY tells of his participation in the competition. Kudos for JY for finally telling her that. However, she starts getting worried for him and leaves. She keeps putting JY on pedestal in a sense. Also, she isn't really understanding what JY wants. He wants her to stay because he doesn't want to be alone anymore. He values her opinion, so much that she has no idea (her insecurity is swallowing her). Kudos for Song-ah to finally asking him to play. He looked so happy and honored.... if only.. I wish the fight had continued about her discomfort with Jk because then I think the JK issue would have been ended once in for all. In episode JY's  consideration came out in the lie he told about going to JK's to practice. He didn't want to do it, but he saw it as his only solution to keep both of them satisfied.  Episode 13, we will see that end as well. Also, he hasn't told SA about the new debt his dumb dad has collected once again. 

The problem with Songah is her insecurity and it is also her desperation. In episode 12, we see the extent of both. It is all the toxic ppl surrounding her that just made worse. In her relationship and in her position as a violinist she thinks timing is key. She is conflating her love for the violin with her love for JY. This conflation and misconception of  the two comes from extraordinary love and passion for the violin. She thinks that her love for the violin is the same as her love for JY. (Idk if I am making sense). However, she needs to realize that in both it is what your perspective, your memories, what you bring to it what love matters the most.  The reason for taking so much humiliation is essentially her utter desperation to play in front of audience and to gain acceptance that all her hard work meant something . Lastly, it is her desperation to fit in... that hurts on personal level for me. We all want to fit in a group to get a sense of belonging. In terms of speaking up for herself, she is also making significant progress. It is slow in episode 11 she tries with her Professor, but then stops because again the desperation to go to Grad school. She is trying... and I think episode 13 we are going to see some of that, but not in the way we would like.

I believe with episode 12, that writer wants to show that change happens slowly and it is not linear. There are times we improve, but then there are times were we regress back to how we did things before. This is apt for episode 12 since the title is play from the beginning. 

Some positive things, finally JY told her about the competition. SA asking JY to be her accompanist .He was so happy and honored if only SA saw that...

Also, I know many of us don't like this repetitive cycle, but hopefully that writer has made a good punishment for all these horrible character( Professor Lee, Professor Song, the horrible Manger...quick note the manager, JY's dad).

A negative of the writing there too many negative characters with very little screen time for the good characters.. There needs to be balance. However, we can argue life isn't always like that. However, Kudos to writer for making us so invested in their journey. I am going to keep my faith for a little longer. JY and SA  journey's hopefully ends on positive note. Keeping my fingers crossed. Definitely skipping episode 13 as well. 

Don't know what I am going to do without this show makes me sad to about it.  

Side note: Honestly, JK is starting to bother me less. She can be a good teacher, but she was a horrible friend. 

Poor thing Songah best qualities are being the reason to where she is right now. 

Sorry for such a long post, but I needed to let it out.Also, i didn't edit this so there many grammar errors and could be hard to understand.

Lastly, how is KMJ (JY) able to smile  differently for each time for SA touches his heart..His smiles.

• Like 8
  • Love 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

@Jillia @sal2 and  @rozelan

You made some good points .   It seems that JY is all ready on that path of change as regards to his relationship with SA.  But SA seems to be  hesitatant.     She has to be true to herself and honest with JY.    That's the only way they can become a real team to slay all the haters ....

JY parents...smh. I still think  he should let the restaurant go.   He and SA  could help her rent a new space   to reopen her restaurant.    It may be cheaper then paying what  the father owes. 

I still think what the professor  did ...saying that she was only a secretary is a slap in a face and if SA does not get out of that madness . I will be very disappointed  in the writer to allow her to be used like that...:crazy:

I've looked at a few earlier episodes..just to make my heart calm.. :D

• Like 7
  • Love 4

15 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Ahahah one would think JYP's the equivalent of BTS with all the fuss that's been going around.:unamused: 

Latte_Anyday, I'm sorry to cut your post but when I read JYP I thought of the singer and founder of JYP Entertainment, JYP :lol:

@annamchoi I hope you feel better! :heart:

There are a few things I would like to address before I dig deeper into my thoughts

1. Using the word "depressed" or "depressing" to describe the melancholy feelings in this drama is insensitive to people in real life who have depression and are going through difficulties on their healing process.
  2. Quote

After ep. 12, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to suicide, mostly JY! :bawling::bawling::bawling:

This statement is triggering to those who struggle with suicidal thoughts. The topic of suicide is sensitive and I ask that you do not take it lightly.

By all means, it is important to be mindful of our language to open up a conversation about mental health and not further stereotype those who have mental illnesses. 

--------

@Jillia I think Song Ah had to see Joon Young and Jung Kyung and feel those difficult feelings again. As we all know, Song Ah has been gentle throughout the drama and she started speaking her true thoughts and feelings with Joon Young. Although she was reluctant to ask Joon Young to play the piano with her, Joon Young took the initiative to offer playing the piano. So we are really seeing Song Ah right in the middle, coming out of her shell and still trying to speak her mind. 

Remember that scene between Cha Young In and Joon Young about habits? Why do we even have habits? Is it better to stick to them or not? 

--------

On the other hand, it is poignant that Song Ah's character has been intricately written with so much dimension, grace and beauty by a female writer. She can be anyone you meet in real life. (Often times in real life, people who don't know her story would deem her as someone with no backbone). But the writer has written a female character who doesn't solely exist for her male lead's story and developmental arc.

The filming also does justice to showcasing Park Eun Bin's acting. The director knows which angles to shoot Park Eun Bin in her own light and space. (Search: WWW was a good female cast. Everything was beautiful. But when I rewatched it, I noticed that the camera failed to focus on shooting the females in their own light and space). The camera does not overly exert Min jae's image. Rather his image and actions support Park Eun Bin's acting. I am a little bit disappointed that Park Eun Bin's high quality acting hasn't been headlining as much as Kim Min Jae is. 

It is a universal problem in which females are traditionally taught to be gentle and graceful and to not make mistakes. Females are prone to second guess themselves. Males are taught to be brave, to step up their game, and take their chances because traditionally, they are the breadwinners. But when we dig deeper into the problem, it is different for each culture and society. It is important to note that the drama only reflects upon one perspective of the Korean culture and society. It doesn't give you the full picture. You don't know the flaws and strengths of a society until you live there for a long time. 

I'll end this quote from Haruki Murakami's Colorless Tsukuru novel, 

"Let people live their own lives. Each person should decide for himself how happy, or unhappy, our society might be."

• Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 7

hello, i am new to the forum, but i have been lurking for many months because i really enjoy both Korean and Chinese dramas 

I felt i really had to register today to say one thing i fear about this drama:

The writers better not have JY have a fist fight with his dad before the competition. This would be an obvious trope but i really hope they won't go there as it  will ruin the whole drama for me. Do you think we can be spared this abomination the way his storyline is going?

PS other than fearing the above, I don't mind the heartache, i actually enjoyed episode 12, for example, For one in my eyes it clearly set the stage for  some SA's success in the school with her instrument.   I felt pity towards HN before as i could see she was being antagonistic towards SA for self preservation. SA is the only thing preventing her from dropping to the last place in ranking. it would not have felt right before episode 12 for SA to have success at the expense of HN. However after episode 12 , this will actually feel perfectly ok

Edited by marsha G
  • Like 12