[Drama 2020] Do You Like Brahms?, 브람스를 좋아하세요?

larus

Phew...I'm new here and what a great discussion thread! Thanks to everyone who has left their great comments -  wish I have discovered this earlier:D

I understand that the writer is trying to portray the story close to the real life situation but ep 12 is almost ...... suffocating. I definitely have trust in the characters (esp. JY and SA) that they could find their way out somehow but it's not going to be easy and 4 eps could be too short (?) for all the holes to be filled properly - considering that JY and SA might have a break up (which I hope would not happen as it might drag the story further). I just really hope the story could be finished properly because I love the show, the casts, and the characters so much.

Here are some parts I personally wish to see in the remaining eps based on some previous scenes:

• Maybe some focus on the playing of the pieces (The idea that music can be healing - DAMN I've been missing this since ep3<_<)
  • SA to find a way for her to actually play violin happily, not necessarily as a profession (RUN away from the toxic professor!!!)
  • JY not to see his piano playing talent as a burden and to regain his joy in playing it
  • The revival of the friendships and maybe new friendship of six persons (?)
  • SA's proposal of Brahms, Schumann, and Clara (The friendship between the three) for Kyunghoo's 15th Anniversary to be played by JY, HH, and JK
  • SA and JY's graduation performance
  • JY's parents to finally realize how much they have hurt JY, JY's mum to divorce JY's dad and stop taking the mess he was making
  • JY to play at the Tchaikovsky competition with his own way and actually getting 10 point from one judge (and maybe average mark from the other judges) but either won the first prize (he has only won the 2nd place following the professor's way of playing) or maybe impressed someone who can help with his professional path
  • SA to be by JY's side during the course of Tchaikovsky competition (Maybe moments of SA comforting JY through the suffocating past experiences)
  • JK and HH both become professors in universities (not necessarily Seoryeong) or become a musical coach of some sort because I think they will be such great teacher with their love for classical music
  • JK's family to face the passing of JK's mum properly and solve the conflicts within the family from their hearts
  • JK and HH to face their past relationship - either realize they still love each other and be together again or realize it's not love and say goodbye properly 
  • JY manages to convince Chris to transfer JY's management rights back to Kyunghoo (and GOODBYE to manager Park)

@emmafaye

I agree with the part on the portrayal of the classical music world in SK. I don't know how the field is in real world but it is saddening if it is the actual trend in the field - what a way to kill talents.

@Sneha

Yes - I too feel some scenes are definitely repetitive (esp. the misunderstanding  SA has on JY and JK)  but also the fact that it hasn't been confronted properly by SA and JY. And I can't agree more with your comment on the insufficient writing of ep 12 for the positive characters and too much emphasis on the negative characters - it feels for me like the writer is trying to build up some tension but went too far. I think it's not a problem if the story is finished off properly but it does kill some joy in waiting for the story to be revealed. I really wish the viewer's rating of this drama could increase further but it seems like many people have decided not to watch the recent episodes until the full story is out:sweatingbullets:

• Like 13
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 2

@Yq Tan Thank you for the points that you mentioned. I really love to see that all of those points be implemented.

I really wish the viewer's rating of this drama could increase further but it seems like many people have decided not to watch the recent episodes until the full story is out

It does hurt .... As someone who's watching both dramas DYLB and ROY which are broadcasted on the same day, I feel the Tuesday's episode is the worst this week (not the drama itself but how it made me feel  and this is just a personal thought).  I will need to find something to cheer up  while waiting for the next episode.

Credit to the owner

• Like 15

I love your thoughts @ponderings because it's true that we often judge people the way we see them without knowing what's really going on inside. And oftentimes times we, women, are taught to endure in silence hence we do second guess ourselves in certain situations and decisions.

I'm seeing a lot of people deciding to drop the drama after the last couple of episodes. And I do get the sentiment because I myself skipped the last episode. We were treated with this subtle, slow burn and sweet drama in the beginning and then all these angst suddenly rained down on us.  And some of us do watch these dramas as an escape or for all it's fluff.  But if we are to read the writer's interviews, she did say she wrote this drama as close to real life as possible, so it is fair to say that this is what real life is. It's not all sweet and good times. I'm just hoping the next four episodes will show progress and not continue with this trope and cram every resolution in the last episode because THAT will be really disappointing since the writer has been doing really well in staying away from the usual drama cliches.

• Like 13
  • Love 2

As the writer's interview prepared me for the pressures both leads will face, I was ok with ep 12.  We never know how you will face situations until you are facing them.  I believe SA will need to find her voice and I believe she will.  To me she is taking all this in ..all these bad things and she will comes forth stronger.  She will speak out in her own way and her own time. 

• Like 7
  • Love 5

Do You Like Brahms: Episodes 11-12 Open Thread

by missvictrix

Brahms1112_1.jpg

It’s one step forward and two steps back for our couple this week, as our heroine struggles with all the gossip and mean-spirited remarks that shake her gentle soul. Even though our hero provides some of the best support possible, she is going to have to be honest with him about her insecurities if they want their precious relationship to last.

EPISODES 11-12 WEECAP

Brahms1112_2.jpg

Poor Song-ah really had a rough go this week — and so did we. Indeed, much of Episode 11 consists of Song-ah’s brightness getting tarnished by the rude and/or cold-hearted people around her. Professor Lee, who has yet to offer anything constructive or affirming to Song-ah, really outdoes herself this week. The nonsense with her chamber orchestra continues, with Song-ah doing all the gopher work, and taking all the hits.

Similarly, Simon-on-the-loose is not one to think of other people’s feelings, and while he tries to recruit Song-ah after graduation, he also makes it clear she has no talent as a violinist, started playing too late, and should basically give up once she earns her diploma.

Finally, the third thing (or person) that’s causing Song-ah so much emotional grief is Jung-kyung. No matter how clear Joon-young makes it that he’s playing with Jung-kyung as a friendly favor, Song-ah gets torn up whenever her name is mentioned, whenever they are practicing together, or even mention they are practicing together.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/10/do-you-like-brahms-episodes-11-12-open-thread/

• Like 12

I am so enjoying everyone's comments. I concur ... They express my sentiments exactly. Episode 12 wore me out. It was exhausting to watch these two truly lovely people, challenged at every turn and forced to struggle through all the blows they continue to receive right after they enjoy one afternoon of sheer bliss. I had to force myself to watch it to the end. I also fear that there is not enough time left to solve all these huge problems for both of the main characters. Nahee started the nasty rumor and I think she regrets it, but it's too late, the ball is rolling.That nasty self serving professor, I mean will she get her just rewards? The father of JY, he should have been dropped years ago instead of allowing him to suck the life out of his son....enough already. The mother should have put a stop to that a long time ago...Shame on his parents. As to Song ah, she really needs to pull herself up by the bootstraps, shoulders back, get her great haircut back....she's loosing her edge. She needs to get her game back and give herself credit for her successes. After all she made it into the school of music at college level because she can play the violin. She is in the school of music because she needs additional training which that professor should be giving her. The fact that she is not succeeding is because of the basic biases against her for being an older student...it really is a shame...they are killing her joy.

As to JK, well she is really responsible for the mess the 3 friends are in. She let Song ah know she wants JY back and that of course rattles Song ah with good reason. Although I am a bit dissapoited in Song ah's lack of faith in JY's feelings for her. She knows he is under pressure and she should give him a break and sit and talk with him. She knows he is preparing for a competition and she is very aware of the toll this is taking on him. She should be a support system for him, not contribute to his pain. She has plenty of discouragement on her own plate. They need to Talk to each other PLEASE....

I just adore the character Joon Young. He is so genuine. Will somebody please help him...I cried, it's too sad.

I love this drama and really thought that 12 was going to give us a chance to cheer them on as they become a team and together overcome some of these challenges through their love of music and for each other. If this goes on I fear for the mental health of Joon Young.

Right now I am also discouraged by the weight of the dispare and honestly fear the ending.

• Like 12
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

Regarding the ratings, I wish it could do better because it's still the best out of the Monday-Tuesday dramas for me (episode 12 notwithstanding), but the appeal of dramas in terms of genre, story, cinematography, pacing, acting, chemistry of the leads etc can be so subjective. I hope the last four episodes brings back the understated charm of DYLB that was more evident in the first half even as the story delves into the more sombre topics in the final resolution arc. I'll watch till the end, but probably won't live recap going forward (how did I end up live recapping the most angst-filled episode on Tuesday...it gave me insomnia). 

Plot and characterisation issues aside, I have to say that all of the cast have done a phenomenal job portraying each of their characters (even the more two-dimensional characters like Professor Lee and Park Seong Jae are well-acted). I cannot imagine Song Ah and Joonyoung being portrayed by anyone other than PEB and KMJ (that's how well I feel they have assimilated into their roles). For that reason, I feel emotionally invested in Song Ah's and Joonyoung's lives and wish for the best for both of them, individually as well as together.

Apologies that I'm unable to embed the photos with text here, so please click on the tweet instead (2nd & 3rd pictures):

https://twitter.com/azuresky2020/status/1314080429931020288?s=20

More excitingly, the BTS is here:

• Like 9
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 6

Thanks for the heads-up about the BTS, @Sky8lue

That was one of the cutest BTS videos I've watched! Aaaaah, I was smiling the whole time. Will probably rewatch it later, haha! It's so nice to see them joking around after watching episode 12. 

They should just date in real life already! Haha. So sweeeeet.

• Like 12
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, ponderings said:

@annamchoi I hope you feel better! :heart:

Thanks sweetie..Im  much much better now..❤

Ep 12 is DISHEARTENING: 

Truthfully, I understand SA (she's a saint alright) going through so much in a day.

JY and SA argues like adults..She knows when to stop and calms themselves(hope they didnt have to argue though because of JK- ugh that girl)

JY never letting the problem drag away applogizes right away.

The Umbrella Line from now on dont worry about the rain,I will bring this umbrella with me everyday  ..signifcantly means JY will be her shield and protector...for always!

Hope SA will realized how much JY loves and cherishes her !❤ and would fight for their relationship.

JK meanwhile has all the priviledges..(came from a  chaebol  clan ) she never worked..all she did was play violin

And the was fortunate to graduate in a prestigous university.no idea at all on how the world  works for someone whos not lucky as she is!-money and oppurnities.

-SA also never "experienced"(she alsocame from a well off family) working .as soon as she graduated she pursued her love for music particularly her love for violin. So she really doesnt  understands  the struggle JY face.that at a young age he needs to work to support his family financially and pay off his dad's debts.He never get to do what he truly like and love most!

-HH is an example too of someone who experienced the much earned living. He strives and works hard to fit in in the industry he loves and into JK 's life .one thing good though is both HH parents suoport him in the craft he truly loves.

-MS/DY ends misunderstanding..Glad that DY apologizes for his behavior, and want MS and SA be friends again.

Hope to see MS be friends again with SA because  she really needs one right now and I wish too that its the same with DY.

-JY as  SA accompanist is a way for her to be sure of her decisions (if shes niot condident enough whoever her accompaniist,   the result  will be the same as shes a bit lacking in talent in music)) regarding pursuing her music degree or she will take a different path.I know whatever path  SA  chooses JY will support her wholeheartedly.

She must leave that USER FRIENDLY TEACHER LEE!! cant wait for her downfall.

-I will not talk about the ANNOYING PEOPLE ! because it  will only make  me puke! Theyre all disgusting!

Let them be happy now..soon  they will face thier karma.! Each and everyone of them!

-SA misunderstands JY clearly when he saw him with JK   in the taxi.. .not sure though if SA will confront JY about it, you all know how the writers giving us surprises! SA or may not or JY will himself tell her about it.

-DE CAPO means SA to go back to her sole focus in  the beginning that to graduate and earn her masters degree and be happy with JY , be eachother's shield and protector.

• Like 12
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Just_Me said:

Yaaay thanks for the BTS @Sky8lue..

For anyone who may interest for Blu-ray..the pre-order is opened

https://global.yes24.com/Goods/93510341#

(It's okay to share this kind of link right?!, If not please tell me:) )

Thank you for the link. :)   

I'm just wondering is that the usual price of these Blu-ray dvds? And I wonder what will happen if they won't reach the numbers they are aiming for?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, cherrhys88 said:

I'm just wondering is that the usual price of these Blu-ray dvds? And I wonder what will happen if they won't reach the numbers they are aiming for?

I don't know about the price but it's seem that if the pre-order not reach the minimum (maybe 1000pcs)  then it will be cancelled

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, cherrhys88 said:

Yes it is when I bought mine DVD version(The moon that embraces the sun in 2012 it cost  me around 168000 ₩ )not directly in korea  but in an online store.

I did participate in the survey, but i the price is bit hefty 275000₩.I will buy the OST for sure.

If they will not reach the quota, production will not push through but if did they gonna produce for the public.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

@Jillia @Just_Me  @annamchoi Thank you for the reply. :)  I hope they will be able to reach their numbers. It will be interesting to see those cut scenes. But yeah, price is a bit steep and shipping cost is not even there yet. 

The latest bts was really adorable. They are obviously more comfortable with each other now. :wub: Twitter and Instagram are full of clips from this cute bts, to make up for the episode 12 anguish. :D

• Like 8

@YongZura⁷ᴮᴱ Haha I definitely feel the same - I'm surviving on reading the comments, the sweet BTS, and re-watching previous eps :lol:

@Jillia Thank you! The part that you said you wish the characters to speak up for themselves somehow reminded me of the ep13 teaser where the characters are confessing their true feelings to their family (JY to his mum and JK to her grandma) and their partner (SA to JY on JK) - so now I'm hoping that is the theme for next week ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ (Secretly wish SA can say something to the professor next week too:P)

Regarding your discussions on the recognition on Eunbin's acting skills, I guess she has debuted for a long time (she debuted the year Minjae was born :D) and is already well-known for her good acting skill while Minjae's career is still at an early stage (since 2014). In fact, Eunbin was ranked number 2 in the Actor Brand Reputation in September - indicating that she's actually getting good attention (both population and market value) through the drama itself. IMO, the important thing for an actor is to get constant casting chances so they can stay in the industry for longer - I don't think Eunbin needs to worry about that (and in fact she's already in it for 20+ years!). But this obviously shouldn't stop her to be praised for her great portrayal of SA in DYLB - I think the director and the writer have praised her for saving a character that could potentially be annoying to the viewers (perhaps because she can seems intimidated at times?). I seriously cant see anyone else to be SA other than Eunbin^_^

• Like 9
  • Love 9
  • Insightful 1

~  when men quicker to get ready compared to women 

Men 

16021500131602150010.gif

vs 

women 

** oppa trying to pass time by enjoying  the view ( her beautiful face :wub:

16021501241602150120.gif

** but typical man can’t understand perfection can’t be rushed :D
16021501931602150189.gif