[Drama 2020] Do You Like Brahms?, 브람스를 좋아하세요?

larus

1. Will SA follow the noble idiocy route?

- I answered NO. Though I can sort of see the writings on the wall that this might happen BUT SA has been surprising us with some of her decisions, so I'm hoping that THAT scene in the preview will mean no noble idiocy.

2. Do we need a time skip?

- I feel like the way the drama is going and there's only 4 episodes left, a time jump is necessary to just tie things up. Otherwise we will be left with an open ending, which for me is even worst.

3. What will JY’s answer be to Director Na (JK’s Grandma) as shown in the preview?

- I'm afraid he will choose to stay, unless he can let go of his sense of guilt and responsibility towards JK and her family. And so far, I haven't seen him addressing these feelings except for that one time he expressed the feeling of being burden by that piano.

Episode 13 will be, sort of the, penultimate episode for me. It will be very telling as to where the direction of the drama will go. I was expecting that in Episode 12 but I guess we need to see a catalyst or our couple to hit rock bottom so speak for them to make the ultimate decision as to what they really want to happen in their life and career.

• Like 11
  • Insightful 6

For my answers regarding the poll:

- I would say yes or no for this. I don't think she will straight up tell JY that she wants to break up or something along those lines, but I think she'll do noble idiocy in her own way. This meaning, she might distance herself away from JY (as someone else mentioned) or maybe just confront JY and tell him how she feels? Kind of what we see in the preview...

- No, no, please NO! I absolutely dislike when dramas do like a 5+ year time skip!! Time skips DO NOT SOLVE everything in a Korean drama, so I am PRAYING that we will not get a huge time skip. The only time when I think a time skip is somewhat acceptable is IF the drama has resolved everything BEFORE the time skip and the time skip is to show how our main couple is after a few years. These are just my thoughts though..

3. What will JY's answer be to Director Na (JK's Grandma) as shown in the preview?

- I want to say that he will say no, but maybe there won't be an answer to this? I'm not sure.. Also anyone else think they see JY crying in that scene for the preview? I can't tell if there's a tear streak on his left side of his face or if that's just some camera lighting...

Also I am wonder the same thing too @rafeusjanela about Brahms being mentioned since the drama title is "Do You Like Brahms". Actually I was finishing up episode 12 on Viki and saw one of the comments mention about Brahms... What if SA played Brahms for her graduation performance, although I feel like at this point it's kinda too late to switch songs now.. However, how amazing would it be to see SA play Brahms and JY being the accompanist for her :o Now this being said, I have NO idea if any of Brahms songs can be played on the violin accompanied with the piano.. This was just a thought I had when I saw that comment. Would love to see the drama bring it back to the drama title

• Like 10
  • Love 2

Another view of IG story :) Changing of seasons from summer to fall, wearing coats for it has gotten cold outside. Dimple couple are walking with yellow line between in a kinda serious mode, I still feel their warmth for each other :)

• Like 8
  • Love 1

I chose "No" because of my personal wish to see SA's and JY's growth and journey to overcome the odds. But I do think that if they need some "alone" time to sort out their internal struggles, then they should do so instead of forcing themselves to stick together when they lack the emotional headspace. I'll be cautiously optimistic that "alone" time can mean a short break and does not necessarily mean some melodramatic break-up. They have enough problems on their hands, and can do without the anguish of a break-up when they both clearly have such deep feelings for each other.

I chose "No" again, because a time skip might mean a lot of things get resolved off-screen and like many of you I hope DYLB avoids this k-drama trope. There will inevitably be some time passing to complete the resolution arc of the story, considering that we do need to fast forward to their graduation, the Tchaikovsky competition, amongst many other unresolved issues in the final four episodes. Even if there is some time skip, I hope it is a short period that is given to us AFTER the characters overcome the hurdles.

3. What will JY’s answer be to Director Na (JK’s Grandma) as shown in the preview?

I chose "there will be no answer" because I believe the context of Director Nah's question is misleading in the preview. Assuming Director Nah is asking JY to stay beside JK (direct context: remaining as JK's accompanist; possible indirect context: be JK's companion in a deeper capacity as a friend or more), JY will be sensitive enough to pick up both the direct and indirect contexts. My gut feeling is that he will address the direct context but intentionally disregard the second context. But whatever he chooses to do, I hope he carefully and clearly draws the line about his relationship with JK to Director Nah and also affirms his relationship with SA.

And since I'm too emotionally invested in what happens next, this is the result of my (over)analysis of the intro animation sequence posted by @Jillia earlier: https://youtu.be/fU7xLCJTmOw. Wishing for a beautiful and melodious ending!

https://twitter.com/azuresky2020/status/1314787179076304896?s=20

Namoo Actors Vlive will be releasing a clip about the DYLB set at 3pm KST today:

@cherrhys88 My post crossed with yours. Thanks for posting my tweet about the intro above :)

• Like 8
  • Love 8
  • Thanks 1

@Sky8lue i love your tweets! Thank you for bringing so much perspective to the drama. I fall more in love with the show because of that so thank you.

Also, is anybody going to buy the DVD! I really want to but I can't afford to spend 237 dollars... I feel like one hour isn't enough to give justice to the show. There so many scenes that have been cut and sort off ruins the continuity of the show.

• Like 5
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Sneha said:

@Sky8lue i love your tweets! Thank you for bringing so much perspective to the drama. I fall more in love with the show because of that so thank you.

@Sky8lue Me too! 

And I would like to take this moment to thank you all Brahmsies for sharing your comforting thoughts and feelings. It is wonderful yet nerve-wracking too, unpacking the ups and downs of this warm drama, I swear I could not have gotten through DYLB without all of you! Thank you all so much!

:heartxoxo:

Here's to more ice cream times ;)

• Like 9
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone for sharing your precious thoughts, insights, updates and everything else about DYLB! Buckle up your seatbelts as we cruise into the final 4 episodes!

:Megathanks:

Park Eun Bin gives a tour of the DYLB set in this video:

https://www.vlive.tv/video/217029

Kyunghoo office, the corridors of Kyunghoo building, the special rehearsal room, SA's bedroom, SA's house living room, Hyun Ho's bedroom etc are all part of the same filming set. It's impressive how intricate the set looks, when you scrutinise the bookshelves, stationery, furniture, wall decor etc. PEB mistook HH's room for JY's room at first (based on what PEB's film attire, this was filmed some time before the episode where SA visited JY's apartment). PEB marvelling at JY's "wall of fame" showcasing his medals, trophies and certificates is so cute.

• Like 7
  • Love 6
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sneha said:

Also, is anybody going to buy the DVD! I really want to but I can't afford to spend 237 dollars... I feel like one hour isn't enough to give justice to the show. There so many scenes that have been cut and sort off ruins the continuity of the show.

Is $237 for DVD? What I know is for Blu Ray version its cost 275000₩-$238( not DVD)the price is too hefty..but then what I know is if they reach the quota of the blu ray ,they will release a DVD version I think for the  public.

If not production will be discontinued.the OST that Im sure Ill purchase 

@cherrhys88 Welcome dear.happy to share!

I and we  all here are wishing hoping and praying for one happy ending for our OTP thst will make our heart happiest!❤

And thank you too for sharing the Tweets ..that umbrella symbolizes shield and protection(JY will be her shield and protector for always!) And the handkerchief symbolizes how much loves music and playing the violin and   how much she loves JY.

@Sky8lue

Those tweets I love them! That I love our OTP much much....peotector and shield of one each other ...om every storm that may come.they will ovwrcome all of this because they are one in solving the problems.

Park Eun Bin shows off her DYLB family on VLive- ChaeFamily

parkeunbin04-20201010-151646-0 parkeunbin04-20201010-151646-2 parkeunbin04-20201010-151646-1

Spoiler

parkeunbin04-20201010-151646-3

SA Office set tour .

Spoiler

parkeunbin04-20201010-152145-0 parkeunbin04-20201010-152145-1 parkeunbin04-20201010-152145-2

Ctto

• Like 8
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 1

Sharing my poll choices..

1. I voted No .. I think we would have seen it already if it were going that way.. I also think SA knows it will only hurt JY more if she were to leave.. 

2. I voted Yes for the time leap. I think smaller leaps are essential to show them progressing in their careers.. I would also like to see them at a point where they are satisfied with the choices they make..So a time leap in the very end after resolving most plot points is something I would like to see

3. I voted for him to say I will not stay by JK's side.. I voted for this option because I want JY to cut ties with JK so that she realises there is a world beyond JY and HH .. I think she ruined the harmony between the trio by kissing JY that night out of jealousy and is holding on to the idea that she may be in love with JY because that is all she can tell to assuage her guilt..

As much as I hate how she the things she tells SA , I can't bring myself to hate JK as a character and I hope for her to find peace and success and breaking away from JY may catalyse that..

• Like 9
  • Love 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

My answers to the poll questions:

1) no to noble idiocy. Both JY and SA have shown that they don't shy away from the tough questions. Hence, i still believe that they'll communicate and figure it out together. Besides if you're gonna suffer either way, might as well suffer together. 

2) no to time skip. Honestly not sure what this would accomplish so no.

3) JY won't have an immediate answer. My best guess of the sequence of events though ii/iii could be swapped around:

i. JK quarrels with grandma and she finds out that JK/JY/HH had a falling out.

ii. SA asks about taxi incident and tells JY that she's uncomfortable with him playing for JK. 

iii. Director goes to uni for some event and speaks to JY about staying by JK's side.

iv. JY meets with JK to tell her that they shouldn't meet again.

While I would like for JY to come to the decision (without any external influences) that he should distance himself from JK, I feel hearing about SA concerns would have been the biggest push. But boy he really needs to prioritise himself more and remove all these toxicities in his life.

Sidenote

Since JY is taking part in the tchaikovsky competition, I would like to see SA gifting him a new handkerchief as a good luck charm. 

• Like 12
  • Love 5

i will also chip in

probably yes but this will be a very brief interval

This, because IMHO episode 12 set some very good basis for SA and JY being an official couple in the public eye.

The rumours "tangled" SA's position a bit,  but they will actually free JY.

It is  apparent to me that JY resented the fact that he couldn't live freely, forced to live up to the fact  that , not only he was a public figure professionally , but also Jk's future husband in waiting. 

I think the rumours  in episode 12 will  break the cycle ( they must have been much worse than we saw for them to affect his professional sphere -no concert)

In addition ,the director did say that, towards the end, JY would get quite greedy about what he wants. If that's the case, i guess , any noble  idiocy attempt will drive him so mad that SA won't stand a chance (that's what i'd like to think). 

we do not need our leads to split followed by a time skip, no! that would be annoying

However i must hope for a time jump because the tchaikovsky is held in the summer., june/july I assume the show will have it set in the summer of 2021 and i really hope to get to see some and know the result! 

no answer, we will get a transition to another scene. she already ended up in hospital last time he tried to imply he was not going to marry JK, he is not going to risk that. However, the rumours in episodes 12 will do the job for him

Edited by marsha G
i added a sentence in the first paragraph
  • Like 13
  • Love 1

Hi! Here are my answers to the poll:

1. No. I sincerely hope that the writer does not take the noble idiocy route with Song Ah. Aside from it being an overused trope in kdramaland, it really isn't a good decision for the characters in their present circumstances. Both of them are already hurting; it's amazing that they've found solace in each other. Making them break up or separate would only break their hearts more. A break-up would be unnecessary, IMHO. I could accept an argument or a fight, but for them to cut each other off from their lives seems like a wrong thing to do. 

2. No once again. I'm not a big fan of time skips, especially if they are used to resolve conflicts. I feel that for Song Ah and Joon Young, time is not what they need but a long, heart-to-heart conversation. It's amazing how much progress they've made, actually, but there are some things left that they need to address. I also think that time won't help them largely with their musical journey. Yes, it could certainly be helpful, but things would be better if they talk. Otherwise, we'd have a Song Ah that still has no confidence in her playing, and a Joon Young full of loathing for the piano. If that drags on, nothing major will happen. They have to address the issues now. On another note, a time skip would be welcome if it shows us a lot of sweet moments between Joon Young and Song Ah, and maybe even mini versions of them? You get the idea. 

3. It's a no once again. Joon Young needs to realize that Jung Kyung's presence, no matter how small, will always make Song Ah uncomfortable, adding to the list of her worries and issues. It's true that it isn't easy to let go of a 15-year-long friendship, but it's also the only way Joon Young will truly be free from his burdens, as almost everything is connected to Kyunghoo. Not staying friends with Jung Kyung will be the best for both Joon Young and Song Ah. Hey, I could use a time skip for this one. Maybe they could be friends after everything, especially since we see the four of them (JY, SA, JK, and HH) performing at the end of DYLB's intro. But right now? Joon Young needs to listen to Song Ah. 

• Like 10
  • Love 6

@annamchoiI see they are only releasing blue-ray first. Yes, I don't have blue-ray hopefully enough people buy it so there is a cheaper dvd version. I feel so much has been deleted to fit the one-hour that we lost the depth and continuity of scenes.

@Jillia  I love the first bus scene more than the last actually from ep 11. It felt like JY actually couldn't believe what he was doing. The nervousness, excitement, and also the background music gives the same tone.  Also, it made me realize that up until that point SA has bus scenes alone. Not once had we gotten a scene going somewhere together which I don't know what it means yet. I was going to write long post about my thoughts on ep.11 but ep.12 happened and... rest they say is history

• Like 11
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 4

Whoa an in depth discussion about episode 12 with our dramas director. :D  sadly no english sub. 

so for the pol.

1. No. I think they have show the strength of our OTP in that they communicate. Also the way we see SA love her violin show that she hold on to what she loves. Maybe she gonna distance herself though because of her insecurity but I feel JY gonna hold on to her. 

2. No time skip is needed for me. I want to see them grow and be there while they figure our what they want to do with the music. But if JY gonna go for that competition I suppose there be some time skip then...

3. No. I think it is important for JY to leave his guilt and make a clear distance from JK and the foundation. At least for now. Maybe they can be friends later, but for now it is clear nothing healthy for JY being around them. I also think JK need to find her own road for now. 

• Like 10
  • Love 7

33 minutes ago, Sneha said:

@sal2 The struggles of being an international viewer is real. I want to know there thoughts of episode12.

Indeed hard to not know the language. Have wanted to learn Korean myself, but yet to start. It is a long video so seems like a very deep talk about the episode. If we are lucky maybe someone in the forum that knows Korean can translate. :) 

• Like 10