[Drama 2020] Dinner Mate/Shall We Eat Dinner Together?, 저녁 같이 드실래요?

larus

1 hour ago, YuSanSeul said:

Am I one of the minority who actually liked episode 13? (And that is having watched it without subs too)

I understand where @cantbreathe @celebrianna and @thistle are coming from with character flaws and the disappointment that ensues. But I am also one of those who tends to let emotions rule unfortunately (hopeless me!) I think, as @PreciousByTheBay mentioned, if someone like HK who had as much feelings for DH as we have witnessed, were to be constantly provoked by JH, it will be hard to maintain a professional attitude and stay level headed. To HK's credit, he did attempt to refer JH elsewhere when he could sense himself getting riled up by JH. Whether is was jealousy, disappointment at being kept in the dark by DH or simply worried about her safety that finally caused HK to snap, I feel like its all a lover's instinct in that moment of anger.

DH may not be perfect or as reciprocal in the way she treats HK, but I feel like she definitely had redeeming qualities in this episode. Her drawing the line with JH--reflection on the bridge, wishing that HK never knew all the details of her past relationships that would've spared him the angst--hurtful words at the dinner table to push him away. Whilst not all done tastefully, all these actions originated from her delicate but precious love from him, is it not? She herself was lost at how to better protect her new found loved one, especially after witnessing the man she thought would have been more level headed totally lose it. I mean, even us bystanders thought HK would have held it together better, but instead he lost control, what more needs to be said about the shock DH felt when she witnessed his outburst?

I also especially like how JH finally seemed to have regained some sensibility and stopped behaving like a possessive stalker. The fact that his gaze softened when seeing DH break down allowed me to sympathise with his character again.

@nyzah13 and @Nodame, can I join you in cheering for our OTP? I can't seem to get enough of these two now. Their natural interactions, their perfect pairing coupled with their seemingly friendly easy going nature makes it difficult not to root for them! :wub:

I was writing a very long explanation about every characters behavior.. Shocks it all disappeared.. Grrrr...

Anyhow, emotion is a complex thing. if you guys remember episode 12 where HK counselled DH mother you can understand it from there.. It's an important thing..
Here's the link: 

https://www.pinterest.ph/pin/308637380710492076/
In psychology we have what we call defense mechanisms (mature and immature) and Stages of coping DABDA (usally with death)- Denial, Anger, Bargain, Depression and Acceptance.

Definitely our characters are in this process..
-Luckily for No-Eul was able to accept that HK is over her, even though it was tough she faced him directly by saying it in front of him.

-DH definitely is still in the process of figuring out her emotions, she can't resolve them them she needs to identify it first (and she needs time)
-For JH, he still has a lot to go through and definitely he is still in his denial stage with lots of immature defense mechanisms through his sudden outburst.

@YuSanSeul & @akhenaten we can delude together with @Nodame & @huckleberrymoonriver
I hope I mentioned the names exactly for this OTP..

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess I'm the one, who likes DH more after  13 episode. I think, her relationship with HK is the only thing that keeps her sane from the very first episode. She is not that strong as may be others think. She is just a human. 

Of course, she is lucky that HK is by her side. But I prefer  to think, that it's destiny.  may be it's not that obvious, but she helped HK a lot too. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, 0ly40 said:

preview july 7

Ohh that preview! HK to WDH: “I would even die for you!” Then it shows WDH screaming HK’s name as it looks like he’s saving her from imminent danger D:

Edited by triplem
Please do not quote images (pics, IG , YT, gifs) . Thanks
  • Like 1

There was an unsubbed scene Between GW and JH where JH was lying down on the couch reading a book and it looks like GW asks him what he’s reading. The exchange seems pleasant but JH disappears after. What did they say to each other? Is the book significant?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, emme_cee said:

There was an unsubbed scene Between GW and JH where JH was lying down on the couch reading a book and it looks like GW asks him what he’s reading. The exchange seems pleasant but JH disappears after. What did they say to each other? Is the book significant?

I thought it was Lee Moon-Jung book.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, emme_cee said:

Unsubbed? The scene was subbed when I was watching it on iQIYI. The book JH was reading is The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

It's already subbed but here, in case you missed it:

GW: Are you okay now?

JH: Yeah, I'm fine.

GW: Let's go get coffee.

JH: I just want to stay at home.

GW: Okay then. I'll buy it for you. What do you want?

JH: Americano.

GW: Americano.

-Later when GW comes back and JH is gone-

GW: Hey, would you like to have some cookies?

...Hyung. Jae-hyuk hyung. Hey. Hyung!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Song Seung Heon And Seo Ji Hye Comfort Each Other Through A Warm Embrace In “Dinner Mate”

Jul 7, 2020
by S. Nam
09139b753a3a429eb2524913b16817f1.jpeg?s=

MBC’s Monday-Tuesday drama “Dinner Mate” released new romantic stills of Song Seung Heon and Seo Ji Hye!

Spoiler

In the previous broadcast, Woo Do Hee (Seo Ji Hye) wanted to break up with Kim Hae Kyung (Song Seung Heon) because she was tired of Jung Jae Hyuk’s (Lee Ji Hoon‘s) excessive interference. However, Kim Hae Kyung didn’t give up and sweetly comforted her with the words, “Please wait. Don’t worry about anything.”

The newly released stills reveal Woo Do Hee personally preparing a meal for Kim Hae Kyung. The two hug ardently, creating a romantic atmosphere and drawing curiosity as to whether the two will be able to overcome the pain of their first loves and carry out a beautiful romance in the future.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1411382wpp/song-seung-heon-and-seo-ji-hye-comfort-each-other-through-a-warm-embrace-in-dinner-mate

• Like 6
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, Ayame said:

More pictures for tonight

Did not see that coming DH comforting NE. But then we did have a hint of friendship between them before NE found out about DH and HK. I guess what she really needed was a friend. So I think out of NE and JH she is the one that could be redeemed. But hope she really is sorry for her action and this is how their friendship gonna start to form. if that is possible in DH eyes since NE still is HK ex. But to me I find it interesting that DH never got scared HK would go back to NE, but then they in the past talked about each other ex and she got the confirmation that HK was done with NE. SO maybe a friendship between DH and NE could happens. I am rooting for NE to become more healthy in mind and body after her coming to senses in ep. 13 :) 

• Like 8

Hello everyone. I'm a late comer on this thread. I wanted to watch this drama but its not available on Netflix and Viki. Luckily I found a streaming website the other day and binge-watched from the beginning. I like SSH and SJH pairing. They look so natural and doesn't act coy to each other. I want to board their ship too. Please count me in :D 

All the actors has great acting. Keanu's HA-HA-HA laugh are infectious :D I wonder what bts like with him. So far I'd only seen the main actors bts. I really enjoyed it.

Though, must admit that there are scenes that are dragging and quite slow. I actually almost gave up in the first 15 minutes but I had nothing else to watch so I carry on ;) and because I don't have to wait for new episodes, I didn't have the opportunity to super-analysed the plot and I simply get to enjoy each eps. as it comes. 

Overall, its an entertaining drama. So well done to everyone :) 

• Like 5

The episode begins with HK and his assistant in the waiting room. The surgeons come out and apologizes. HK's mom passed away. HK reflects on his mother's last letter to him. He breaks down crying. Poor guy. The next scene shows JH's cousin's place empty and DH's place empty. Switches back to HK who holds his mother's letter in his hands and then he sees a pair of shoes. It's DH. She hugs him as he begins to cry again. DH comforts him. HK reflects that he almost missed what his mother wanted to say because he said "Next time" but his mother must have realized that now was the time to say those words.

Outside the memorial, DH thanks HK's assistant for calling her. HK's assistant tells DH to go home and change because she's wearing sweats. She agrees and tells him she'll be back in an hour. JH's cousin calls her. He can't find HK. She tells him that HK's mom passed away. He called because he can't find JH. 

DH is home and she's now dressed in a black outfit. She goes outside her apartment to leave and JH is standing there. She asks him why is he there and she told him not to appear in front of her. He asks to talk for a second. She said she has to go and makes a move to leave but he steps in front of her and says just give him 30 minutes. No ten minutes. Let's talk. He said he just realized how terrified she must have been by everything he did. He said he realizes that he's not sane. The thought that it was over between them made him lose control of himself. He must have lost it. He said he's really going to get treated. He's not saying that to win her back because they're really over. But he doesn't want to be a bad memory to her. He asks her for a favor. Please don't hate him so much. She looks at him. The scene ends. 

JH's cousin goes to HK's mother memorial. He said he wants to talk to him. HK's assistant interrupts and HK asks where is DH. He said DH went home to change. HK asked the cousin where is JH. He hesitates then tells him JH is gone. HK shouts at him asking why didn't he tell him. I guess he's scared for DH's safety. HK gets ready to call someone but then he remembers his mother telling him not to lose DH. He gets ready to go off but then DH calls out to him.

He drags DH outside and asks why didn't she answer her phone. He yells why does she make him worry. She tells him she went home to change her clothes and that JH came by. He said why didn't she call him and weren't she afraid. HK is very upset. What if something happened to her. DH tells him she sent JH away. She said she forgot her phone at home while rushing to return to the memorial place and that's why she didn't answer. He hugs her and apologize for yelling. He was just worried that something might have happened to her. He couldn't breathe. She said she felt the same way when his assistant called her earlier that morning. She was worried so much that she couldn't breathe. HK tells her not to go anywhere without him. He said from now on trust and stay with him. She said yes and that she has no other choice now. She apologizes for taking so long. They're still hugging. 

JH is back at his cousin's place. He takes out his mobile and looks at the photo of him and DH. He's contemplating deleting it. It doesn't show if he does. 

HK and DH are at the burial site. He said he would come often to visit. HK tells her that his mom wanted to see her. DH apologizes to mom and said she'll come often. HK and her are holding hands and her colleagues from work are standing in the back ground. The colleagues are walking back and talking. They ask about NE since she was the ex girlfriend. DH's friend says once you breakup you're technically strangers so why ask about her. Then the colleague who exercises at work ask why did HK and DH keep holding hands. lol His colleagues wonders how he could be so clueless. 

Back to JH and his mobile phone. He calls someone but the phone keeps ringing. HK tells DH to come with him. She said they can't go together all the time. She tells him to go home and get some sleep because he looks awful. She touches his cheek gently. He tells her to call him when she gets home. HK and his assistant leave the burial site. 

HK is home. He receives a call from Keanu. Kenau asks if he's okay. Keanu is outside HK's office. It looks like he'll conduct counseling sessions there. HK said he already spoke to his staff. HK is tired. He lies down to go to sleep. Keanu introduces himself to HK's assistant. The assistant gives Keanu JH's file and ask him if JH is really going to get treated at their clinic. Keanu says yes. The assistant asks if JH agreed. Keanu said yes. He said doctors shouldn't pick and choose their patients. 

The cousin comes home to find JH lying on his sofa. At DH's job, her colleagues talk briefly about when DH and HK started dating. DH goes to visit HK at his house. She finds him fast asleep. She touches his forehead. She touches his jaw. She touches his face. lol I guess she can't help it now that he's asleep. lol She stoops down and stares at his face. HK wakes up to a chopping noise in the kitchen. He looks and sees DH chopping vegetables. He asks what she's doing. She told him that she called his assistant for the passcode because he wasn't answering his door. He hugs her from behind while she's chopping. He starts to pull back her hair (because she's cooking) and she's sort of startled and pulls up her hair herself. As she turns to do this he hugs her waist. lol They're just staring at each other and then the pot boiling interrupts them. He asks what she's cooking. She said she asked his assistant what he likes. There's a flashback with the assistant urging HK to eat and he says he has no appetite. Long story short, DH cooks noodles for him. Turns out the noodle taste weird and bad but HK tells DH he likes it even though it tastes like that. The reason why he seems to like it is because there's a flashback of his dad telling him that his mom was a bad cook. lol I guess DH's noodles fit in that category. After the flashback, HK thanks DH. He said now he would have been truly left alone (both parents dead) but she's with him. DH tells him the noodles are really like a prescription while she stands over him and hugs him from the back while he's sitting eating the noodles. HK tears up crying. He tells her jokingly that she's really a bad cook and then said he's kidding. He put his arms around her waist and hugs her and tells her he'll remember this for a long time. DH teases him that he's such a crybaby. He said the kimchi is spicy. 

NE returns to the studio. She finds out that HK's mom dies. She leaves right away to go somewhere.  At the clinic, HK and Keanu talk about his mom passing and his sorrow. DH is home sleeping in HK's bed. She wakes up to find a note from HK telling him that he went to the clinic for a moment and he'll be back. NE comes to HK's house. DH answers the door. She asks for HK. DH told her HK stepped out for a bit. DH invites her in and NE begins to leave but DH grabs her hand and tell her to wait inside.

At the clinic, HK asks Keanu if he thinks JH can get better. Keanu said he will try. He put back on his gown to cure him. HK gives his personal opinion that he thinks JH should be hospitalized. Keanu said that they should give JH some time. He might get better sooner than they think. HK disagrees. He said what if that's not the case and the opposite happens. Keanu said if that happens he might have to quit being a doctor for good or JH should get hospitalized. If neither happens, JH could end up in prison. Keanu tells HK lets give JH another chance. HK says okay and leaves. However, before that, he asks Keanu if he's okay with JH considering his past tragedy. HK alludes to "that accident". Keanu stops him and says he's getting better. He said he's curing and healing himself with a loving heart. 

DH and NE are uncomfortably waiting at HK's house. NE asked DH if she told the others not to contact her about HK's mother's news. She said she just found out the news. DH tells her that all of them were so shocked and out of it that they didn't think to contact her. NE thought maybe HK didn't want her to know. NE talks about her hurt that HK didn't contact her about this because she really liked his mother. She thinks that HK didn't tell her because he thinks she's still hoping even after she told him she gave up. DH basically tells her some things and then told her that she's pretty and amazing and she was annoyed when NE hanged around HK. She tells NE to stop acting fine. None of them are completely fine after a breakup. NE says again that she really like HK's mom. DH gets up and hugs her and tells her she knows. She said Hk did wrong. Then she tells NE not to call HK's mom "Mother". She comforts NE as she cries. 

HK comes home. DH says she didn't make NE cry. lol DH is leaving them to chat privately but HK wants to take her home. DH deters him. She turns to NE and tells NE to punch HK once. HK asks what are they talking about. DH ignores him and tells him that he and NE should talk today. DH leaves and outside HK's door, she tells herself she's so outstanding. lol She makes to leave and then comes back to eavesdrop outside the apartment door. lol She says out loud to herself that she trusts HK. 

HK sits to talk to NE. He asks what's going on. NE says jerk. She said why didn't he tell her that his mom died. HK says because she's the mother of her ex-boyfriend. He didn't have to tell her. He said he appreciates her mourning for his mom and he's sure his mom appreciates it but there's nothing they can do for each other anymore. It's right that they don't do anything. NE asks him if they can't be friends just because they broke up. Why is he so uptight? They're not living in the Victorian era. HK says maybe they could be friends one day but not now. They're not comfortable with each other. Most importantly, he doesn't want to worry DH. She said he really changed a lot. He's become really mean. She gets up to leave and he says, he guess he really have [changed]. NE leaves his apartment. DH is still outside. lol She blows a sigh. HK pulls out his phone to call her. DH is outside the apartment door and answers the phone speaking very low. I guess she's afraid of her voice echoing and being found out. lol HK opens his apartment door and catches her right outside talking. LOL 

DH makes to leave after being caught but HK grabs her and pulls her into his apartment. HK has her against a wall and he's right in front of her. He asks her why didn't she leave. If she doesn't trust him. The scene is kind of sensual especially the way he asks her if she doesn't trust him. lol She's making excuses and he says, or is it that she didn't want to go home. It looks like he's moving nearer to kiss her. lol He asks her if she wants to stay. I guess he means spend the night. Her phone vibrates and interrupts the mood. Her mom is calling. 

DH's mom is at her apartment and the whole place is still ransacked.  The mother asks her if a thief broke in. HK listens to her lie to her mom. He doesn't look too pleased. Anyway, he asks if she really needs to go home? Poor guy. lol He tells her he'll drive her home. DH laments her mom's timing. lol The mom said she'll stay the night. 

Keanu joins AY for breakfast at their spot. She gives Keanu a mobile phone. He takes out his own phone and shows it to AY. He tells her he just turned it on for the first time in years. She complains how much time they could have reach out to each other if only he had a mobile phone. She's cute. lol He asks her for her mobile number so that he can come running when she calls and vice versa. 

DH finally tells AY about the things JH did. She said she felt angry, upset and embarrassed but sorry for him. DH tells AY that HK found a doctor to treat JH. AY says something like what kind of nut will help a jerk like JH. lol If only she knew. 

Keanu is having a session with JH. He asks JH how was yesterday. JH basically said he's trying to accept reality. That the things he did were wrong and he's ill. Keanu said Delusional Disorder is a disease. He says once the delusions break, it hurts. It hurts bad. JH asks if living in delusions wouldn't make him happier. Keanu says maybe. However, if he wants to live in the real world, he needs to get out of that fake world. JH asks Keanu what does he think is his fake world? Keanu says the world where JH can't live without DH. The world where he is worthless without his father's approval. Keanu tells him that right now he's seeing in the real world a handsome, smart young man. Jh is silently crying.  Keanu tells him there are many things he can do in the real world. JH asks Keanu if he thinks he can do it. Keanu says yes, let's give it a try. 

NE has an antagonistic conversation with trash reporter in a cafe. NE basically wins the argument and leaves. 

DH's mother set her up with a blind date. 

AY and Keanu has a cute moment on the phone. Shortly afterwards she goes to visit Keanu at the clinic. She's asking for a homeless man. lol Poor AY. She doesn't realize that Keanu is a doctor. lol Keanu hears her description of him as she talks to HK's assistant. lol He comes out and tells her if that's the way she thinks of him. He laughs. AY is surprised to find out he's a psychiatrist and finally finds out his real name. It's so funny how she has to adjusts her thinking of him because now she realizes he's more than a homeless man. She asks if there's more she needs to know about him. She tells him that he doesn't look good in a doctor's gown. He asks her if she preferred it when he was homeless, dirty, and didn't change his clothes. AY gets up and tells him she hates men who likes to show off. lol She hates them. She then leaves. Keanu laughs and says to himself, he guess something he said triggered her. He wonders what it is. 

DH meets the blind date. She explains she has a boyfriend. Suddenly HK shows up and ends her sentence. Apparently he went to work to pick her up and followed her. The situation is amusingly awkward. DH introduces her boyfriend to the blind date. They sit down to talk. The blind date said he has a girl friend too. lol HK and DH begins to argue over why she hasn't told her mother yet that she has a boyfriend. Meanwhile, the blind date guy took the opportunity to slip away. lol DH finally confesses to DH that her mother is the one who visited him before and said she would discourage her daughter from dating him. lol 

AY is drunk going home alone. Keanu shows up. He catches her when she's off balanced. He said he listens to stories and wants to know why she hates him. HK and DH are still discussing about her mother. He's upset that DH's mom thinks that way of him. She explains her father is a cheater and that's probably why her mother doesn't like men like him. HK said he wouldn't cheat and he'd die for DH. He would tell her mother that. DH asks him if he would really die for her. He said yes. She asks how could he just casually say he'd die for her. HK said he didn't just casually say it. 

They're walking together, walking and laughing and exchanging information about their favorite foods then they see JH standing in front of them. HK calls Keanu and tells him JH is there. Keanu tells HK that JH accepted reality and not to arouse him. He'll be right there. HK walks up to JH. DH stays distance away. We see HK saying something but can't hear the words. JH runs into the middle of the road and HK runs out after him and pushes him out of the way. HK gets hit real hard by a car. He's bloody and poor DH is holding him and asking for help. JH is passed out on the sidewalk. 

THE END

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 8

LoVEd this episode. The best so far for me. I cried along with HK at the Guksu scene (noodles made by Dohee that fell nicely in line with HK's arc and reminiscing his Mum). That has by far, been the most well thought out and executed scene.  I was even pleasantly surprised and very touched by SSH's realistic acting! The lovey dovey moments and slight jealousy from DH and HK got me smiling and giggling. And can I call out that sexual tension at his place :Woah: ?!

If only DH's mother didn't make that phone call. What a tease! I was so ready for some intimacy already! We have had what, ONE KISS between 2 OVERgrown adults :sweatingbullets: so far???

If only every episode incorporated everything we got today, relatable storyline, character development, a remorseful antagonist with a sympathetic back story and PLENTY of coupley moments. Even the humour was good relief without being over the top.

But gaHH whats with that cliffhanger! How many times are we gonna see Seo Ji Hye bawling and calling for help whilst clutching on to her loved one teethering on the brink of death?(cue Kim Jung Hyun in CLOY).

Gonna enjoy the subbed version when it's out to digest and appreciate the episode again before I come back with more.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Hello everyone!

Just got to work!

@celebrianna Love your work always (now after this next week is FINALE week) giving us the update. I have to wait til end of my work day to see this. Sigh. So your recaps are life! (Glad there is a lot of healing and more communication).:hooray2:

@DonnaMae Welcome to our Dinner Mate family! (Hehe I myself joined a forum a few weeks ago literally the week before finale week myself. So I know the feeling.)

@nyzah13 Thanks for research and learning about the psych terms.  I think we have a good fan group for the OTP  IRL  with @YuSanSeul @huckleberrymoonriver @akhenaten too. Awwwwww they are adorbs for sure. I saw the BTS while getting ready for work of them doing the hugging (in the kitchen) . Love how SSH was playfully dipping SYJ, these two are too cute. 

@larus Thanks for always sharing the info/articles. I was glad to read it this morning.

I just wanted to say hi and i have to get back to work. But always love reading posts and comments.

@huckleberrymoonriver The info about the OTP def agree.

@airgelaal I think now we know more about DH thinking, slowly seeing her thinking is helping me too in the ep 13 too

@sal2 I agree that NE is having some ok redemption after GW was on her case (finally being voice of reason) and then seeing DH and HK at the MT kissing.

Edited by Nodame
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

(One of the) Most touching tear jerking scene of today (swipe right :rolleyes:):

Spoiler

Scene with the Best (sexual) tension in the last 14 episodes:

Spoiler

Humour? Jealousy? Just another everyday couple moment? Who needs/goes a blind date when you've got Mr Popular Kim Hae Kyong the handsome psychiatrist?! Ahhh, they're just too cute:

Spoiler

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Can I just say my ovaries exploded at that scene when DH was pulled back by HK into his condo? :D She looked like an anime character when she got pulled! And then yes... that sexual tension!

That should carry us out for days even with the ending of today's episode and what happened to HK. Hopefully they release teaser photos that will serve as a balm to our aching hearts.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

Amid all the chaos, I appreciate that we learned a bit more about Keanu. When he disclosed he was HK’s senior to AY, he mentioned that it’s difficult for patients to become doctors but doctors can easily become patients. Then, during his exchange with JH, he said let’s not live like this anymore, both you and I. Keanu seems to be acknowledging his mental health also?

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2