[Drama 2020] Dinner Mate/Shall We Eat Dinner Together?, 저녁 같이 드실래요?

larus

17 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

Makes me wonder what happened that the writer seemed to have set aside this magic formula that's been holding this drama together all along. :huh:

Probably because it's partially to highlight the complexities that go with mental illness.

The human psyche is complicated, to begin with. Pair that up with distorted views of reality (JH's condition), or problems one after another (in the case of Do-hee  -  break-up, stalker ex, parents' divorce, falling in love again, etc.) and things are bound to get messy. Once such happens, even the most rational and stable/consistent of people are bound to snap, like how HK punched JH even if, minutes prior, the former wrote "Beware of Countertransference" on his notes.

Now I think the one that wraps everything seamlessly is love. I realized that when Keanu and HK spoke about Keanu's philosophy of love in the current episode; that no matter how messy things get, love will always be the one that heals and fixes everything.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1

Will You Have Dinner With Me: Episodes 23-24

by LollyPip

Dinner2324-00106.jpg

With our dinner mates’ feelings for each other growing stronger, they’re finding the opposition has noticed and is stepping up its game. It’s a mystery why anyone would want someone who’s obviously in love with someone else, but nobody ever accused the exes of thinking logically. Unfortunately, one of them seems on the verge of a serious break, and someone needs to get them real help before something truly terrible happens.

EPISODE 23

Dinner2324-00011.jpgDinner2324-00015.jpg

After being dropped off by Hae-kyung, Do-hee finds her home ransacked. She picks up a pan and wields it like a weapon, slowly approaching the intruder hiding behind her bedroom curtains.

It’s Jae-hyuk, who’s sitting huddled on the floor, sobbing and bleeding badly from a gash on his hand. He crawls to Do-hee, begging her to save him and saying that he’s dying, but she backs away in horror. He wails that he can’t find the pictures of the two of them that she used to have, and that he feels like he’s going crazy.

Hae-kyung pounds on the front door, having gotten a terrified call from Do-hee when she first got home. She warns Jae-hyuk not to make a sound, then she goes to the door and tells Hae-kyung that it was only her mother at her house earlier. She has trouble looking him in the eye and he senses that something is off, but Do-hee keeps insisting that everything is fine so he reluctantly goes.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/07/will-you-have-dinner-with-me-episodes-23-24/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, thistle said:

That line was a real romance killer for me.  A person who "has no choice" but to be with someone is not in love.  I won't say what my immediate reaction was but it wasn't nice.

Maybe Do-hee was saying it in an ironic way. Perhaps by "no other choice" she meant that what she feels for him doesn't give any room for any other option except to give in to her love for him, despite her fears.  I hope that's what she meant. Sometimes nuances in language can be lost in translation. :)

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

19 minutes ago, emme_cee said:

Hmm.. Episode 14 is still raw on dramacool. Are you guys able to view the subbed version elsewhere?

I noticed that too. Kinda a sign the drama is not overly popular hence no rush to sub :(

But I havent found it anywhere else either. Still patiently waiting

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, emme_cee said:

Hmm.. Episode 14 is still raw on dramacool. Are you guys able to view the subbed version elsewhere?

Only on IQIYI and for VIP accounts only. I also checked out Dramacool and Kissasian and both still have them raw. 

• Like 3

Only 2 more episodes left :tears: Can I ask you guys if we’d ever hear DH call HK oppa? They are still using honorifics with each other, why? I really want to hear her call him oppa and him calling her just Do Hee ah..... :wub:

• Like 2

Annyeong Yorobun

Has been a long time since I wrote. Stopped watching after ep 10. Just following up the wrote written on the page and clips posted.

I had one question, if anyone of you can clarify....

I saw the next week's preview and there are no traces of KHK....:huh:. Why??

DH saying, did she refused to help when he asked. According to what I understood, it is in context of JH. May be they got to know his mental state after HK's accident (probably via Keanu)

Is she just sympathizing with JH when her bf is in hospital while saving her psycho ex.

Purely my imagination

I want myself to be entirely wrong, but looking at the preview and the photos of the last day shoot, where they, KHK and DH, sitting by the same food truck (in Jeju likely), what if KHK has been suffered from some partial memory loss or something :notsureifserious: + DH asking someone in the preview that, if she is will be able to forget whatever has happened in her life???

I know is looking vague, what you all say....?

By the way liked the light and bearable atmosphere in last episode

Take Care all

• Like 4

Hi All, been a silent reader of this thread when this drama first came out. 

I honestly have not seen the episodes that was aired last week and this week. Just a hunch, does anyone also felt the same way? I was really hooked at the beginning but now not so sure...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ayame said:

@emme_cee @YuSanSeul @akhenaten

Yeah, you can find it subbed through iQIYI's website/app if you have a VIP account. (Which is how I've been watching it.) All other sites usually rip from iQIYI, but (similar to Episode 9) iQIYI encrypted the sub for Episode 14, so no one has been able to rip it yet.

I think in a way this limits the viewership of this drama.  To be honest, I think one of the major factors for the success of other Kdramas (like those on TVN) is their availability on other drama platforms like Netflix.  Oh well.

Still no available subs for ep 14, I think. :mellow:

@Wook's Fan oh gosh! Please no! Not another trope! And one that will further lessen the chances of KHL and WDH spending more time together in the last 2 episodes.  That would mean all those sweet moments in episode 14 and the kiss in episode 11 are the last we'll ever see of Hae-kyung amd Do-hee.   If they do that, then I will really conclude that these Kdrama directors and writers have a sado-masochistic sense of drama.  :triumph:

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Wook's Fan said:

I saw the next week's preview and there are no traces of KHK.

They clearly want hold the suspense on how badly hurt HK is. I think the preview is so done in a vaguely way so it is hard to come to any answer to what gonna happens in the next episode for HK and DH. I do think next episode gonna be about DH letting herself completely love HK and letting her own demons go. I Have a hard time believe she would walk away from a hurt HK and this is a wake up call that she really need to let go of her past and focus on what she have today with HK. I also like to think this is a brutal wake up call for JH seeing HK is hurt because of him. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

3 hours ago, emme_cee said:

@emme_cee, @akhenaten& @YuSanSeulDinner Mate in dramanice is already subbed.. Idk if you can open this link though..

link here.. https://www7.dramanice.movie/drama/dinner-mate-detail

1 hour ago, Wook's Fan said:

Annyeong Yorobun

Has been a long time since I wrote. Stopped watching after ep 10. Just following up the wrote written on the page and clips posted.

I had one question, if anyone of you can clarify....

DH saying, did she refused to help when he asked. According to what I understood, it is in context of JH. May be they got to know his mental state after HK's accident (probably via Keanu)

Is she just sympathizing with JH when her bf is in hospital while saving her psycho ex.

Purely my imagination

I want myself to be entirely wrong, but looking at the preview and the photos of the last day shoot, where they, KHK and DH, sitting by the same food truck (in Jeju likely), what if KHK has been suffered from some partial memory loss or something :notsureifserious: + DH asking someone in the preview that, if she is will be able to forget whatever has happened in her life???

I know is looking vague, what you all say....?

By the way liked the light and bearable atmosphere in last episode

Take Care all

@Wook's FanI thought the same thing right then when HK was hit "again" by an accident.. In Episode 1-2 or 3-4 (idk if I remember correctly but this is where HK fell from the cliff in Jeju trying to save DH) the doctor told DH to take care and look after him because a minor head concussion might lead him to have critical condition and to think the accident just now is not minor.. Idk where this story of HK will go after the accident but definitely sure he is alive..

If he will have a memory loss (retrograde amnesia) the possibility of appearing DH and HK where they had their first meal will be probable, this will be DH letting HK remember of their first meal.. 

Maybe of topic.. I know SSH fans know Lee YeonHee if I'm not mistaken they dated before..

I just thought, SJH has some angles similar to LYH (especially in the released funeral BTS pictures).. 

Idk, SSH seems to like girls who have big round eyes?.. kkkkk ^^

• Like 5
  • Shocked 1

6 hours ago, emme_cee said:

I watched it without subs. I can only understand 3 words but its fun. :D Their acting is good that its like watching charlie choppin silent movie, you can still follow the story line :) 

7 hours ago, sal2 said:

They clearly want hold the suspense on how badly hurt HK is. I think the preview is so done in a vaguely way so it is hard to come to any answer to what gonna happens in the next episode for HK and DH. I do think next episode gonna be about DH letting herself completely love HK and letting her own demons go. I Have a hard time believe she would walk away from a hurt HK and this is a wake up call that she really need to let go of her past and focus on what she have today with HK. I also like to think this is a brutal wake up call for JH seeing HK is hurt because of him. 

The way they set up the car's impact with HK, there is no way that the aftermath won't involve some kind of life-saving operation. I'm thinking they might have him in a coma for "a couple days" in kdrama-land AKA half of Monday's episode. This will give DH the chance to completely tie up loose knots with JH and most likely lead to his institutionalization. I think she's gonna show complete abandon of her reserved nature that we've been seeing in prior episodes, I can't wait to see a more straightforward and bold DH. That, and the fact that HK's attempt to protect DH will make it much easier when DH's mom hears about their relationship, are the only positives I can see coming from this. Keanu was rlly wrong for dissuading HK from suggesting JH become a mental health inpatient at a facility and I suspect that's what we'll see AY beat Keanu up for in the preview. She's right, doctors aren't deities and they always aren't able to accurately gauge a situation, he knew JH was in a self-harm phase of his delusion disorder and he also knew he was a complex patient because he suffers from a combination of multiple mental issues (delusion disorder, borderline personality disorder, depression, anxiety).  However, it was a bad idea to have someone with so much emotional ties with him treating him as his patient, his clinical judgment is already not objective by default. I feel like Keanu keeps trusting JH's will more than he should just because JH admits his delusion and states he wants to get better. I've never seen so many chances given to a highly dangerous and destructive patient to live out in public freely. It was stupid to think they could just keep someone to monitor him on rotation, when everyone has lives and are not hired to do so. GW's place is not a controlled environment, literally no security as he can come and go as he pleases and GW isn't a mental health professional in addition to the fact that he has his own life to keep him distracted too.

• Like 8

@PreciousByTheBay Thanks for your great post and very clear and I agree DH is redeeming herself FINALLY.

The horrible last week has shown to us FINALLY DH more about HK. We know how HK is ALL IN and more so shown this week too.

I have not watched the latest episode yet as I got home very late due to work and admit only had time to watch 1 episode and watched the other drama I love on Mondays instead. 

So for now the BTS and clips on IG etc shared def appreciating.

Yes that is the thing, the nuances of language can be lost in the translation is so TRUE!

Spoiler

I speak a few languages.When I see original Hong Kong Cantonese movies dubbed over in Mandarin--not always good. One case is movies by legendary   周星馳 Stephen Chou. He has alot of jokes that don't translate well in Mandarin. (Once I saw one of his films in Mandarin dubs and I was so frustrated. I had to watch it again . (Mom had bootleg vcds.) Remember them?

Now after a few years of Korean drama listening, I do use subs but I let myself watch the characters and look at nuances of the scene, characters etc. Some of the best subs were done by FANS back in the day with no legit streaming sites. (They did not exist pre Drama Fever (RIP) for North America and Viki).

I loved the care of fans to (even explain historical references, sub the songs lyrics , and certain terms that might be understand as you would see in books as foot notes). They were amazing and helped alot with Saeguk. Only time now you see them possibly is for medical terms. Otherwise we don't see that anymore. (Miss those kinds of subs alot.)

I watched Hospital Playlist and many fans were not satisfied by Netflix subs (at times) and had to go to other sources but found that they all ripped from Netflix. Subs is not easy. I respect those who do it for jobs and those kind souls here in Soompi Forums who volunteer to do it. I try (my weak skills) sometimes to help when I can. So why I have a woman crush on Parasite Director's interpreter Sharon Choi  he used. She was amazing and she used conversational style English and translated from Korean so well. Loved it and she is not a professional but she has skills and flair. Her knowledge of the film world and of the director and her personal experiences further made her an amazing interpreter.

Great article she wrote for Variety of her experience during award season to help Director Bong Joon Ho.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/parasite-bong-joon-ho-interpreter-oscars-sharon-choi-1203505571/

Gosh I need to go back and read the comments. But wanted to drop in before lunch to say hi to everyone! 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Wook's Fan said:

DH saying, did she refused to help when he asked. According to what I understood, it is in context of JH.

I'm guessing it has to do with keeping viewers in suspense over what will happen to HK. I'm taking comfort in the idea that they will not make this series Crash Landing On You #2 in terms of the tragic fate of Ji-hye's character, here.

That being said, I'm good with @catch22's thoughts that HK being in a coma might take half of next Monday's episode. So 30 minutes? Hopefully nothing beyond 45 minutes as that's the max of my patience. -_- I still need lots of fluff and steamy moments between DH and HK. :ohboy2:

As for DH saying she refused to help when he asked, I'm with you that it is in the context of JH.

• Like 6

On 7/8/2020 at 3:12 PM, YuSanSeul said:

I noticed that too. Kinda a sign the drama is not overly popular hence no rush to sub :(

But I havent found it anywhere else either. Still patiently waiting

I just saw full subs on....., just now if anyone hasn’t watched it. I’m afraid of getting in trouble if i put a link so best to search on google. 

Edited by triplem
Pls don’t mention illegal streaming sites . Thanks

@celebrianna thank you for the recap.

I think I better stop commenting since the romance is good enough for me to watch tonight's episode as I skipped Monday's night episodes.

Work concerns has made me less interested in Kdramas. Excuse me if I say this-  will someone just care and control JH and get him into a hospital for goodness sake? He is endangering others. I find that I have lower tolerance for acute behavioural issues as I did literally spent time on Monday contemplating how I am working so hard. And then have people who receive the govt Covid financial aid- and have time to buy multiple types of recreational drugs and alcohol then overdose till they are unconscious- and have time to party. I don't even have time or energy to stop by a different supermarket to buy tissue paper.  

So yeah JH is really getting on my nerves. That's why I am not even interested in commenting. Is the writer intend on redeeming him? Whatever. And this actor was really nice as the secretary character in some other dramas. 

JJH has been so insane, irritating, just needing help and not getting anywhere with anyone. You guys are right. GW is nothing. He cannot handle anyone. He calls for help every single time. You asked what is his role in this drama? I bet the writer just wrote him in as "the inner voice " he replaces the inner monologue you usually see each character do in a Kdrama. I still haven't forgiven the stylist for his mop of shining bright cooper/ light chestnut hair.

I don't need bad jook. In fact can't even buy jook in my city. Ok maybe 1 type of jook in Chinatown.  This Kdrama is not engaging my interest anymore  and not serving as a distraction. That means it has derailed because it was doing a fine job keeping me distracted in the earlier episodes.

@YuSanSeul its not people not subbing its the fact that almost all dramas are legally licensed by about 3 big companies. And everyone else rips the subs illegally. That's why we can't post links soompi has been bought over by viki. IQiYi must have paid for the right to sub it in English. Otherwise the other entities ie viki, tvN Asia, Netflix would have subbed it.

Its Thursday now and I haven't watched Monday and Tuesday episodes. When a drama no longer serves as a distraction from real life it usually means the plot has derailed for me.  Even my earlier points I posted above is disjointed and rambling like a drunk. I can't even comment on the OTP as I currently cannot understand why the writer has made DH so weak where else she was strong and comfident before. Even KHK is not behaving professionally and has become a typical emotional mess of a Kdrama lead.

When Kdrama fails to hold my interests if means real life truly sucks. And JJH's dangerous, reckless behaviour all over the screen episode after episode is tiring to watch. If the writer is stupid I don't need to watch it. I already see enough stupidity in real life.  Running into traffic? Meh. See that all the time at work. Crying, sobbing, in denial, making excuses? All. The. Time. GW being so stupid. Actually no... most friends in real life that I see are actually better than him. He is totally, completely useless as a friend. Might as well chuck him. He enables JJH to justify his behaviour and does nothing to actually help him.

So yeah, signing out.  Might as well go recheck the latest airway managment for Covid cases on my days off. When that trumps Kdrama it means this drama is meh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Insightful 1

Now that I have watched the ending of Episode 14, I see why the significance of JH reading the Great Gatsby. In fact, earlier in the drama, we already had 2 instances where JH and HK were speeding in their cars. Those were hinting at the end.

In the ending of Great Gatsby, Tom lied to George that George's wife was having an affair with Jay Gatsby. Because of the lie, George ran his car into Jay and killed him. George himself committed suicide after that.

I wonder if that was the phone call that JH made, to get someone to run a car into JH. So appearing in front of HK and DH at that moment was a set up. Like Keanu said, if he is not cured,  he will end up in prison.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 3