[Drama 2020] Dinner Mate/Shall We Eat Dinner Together?, 저녁 같이 드실래요?

larus

8 hours ago, akhenaten said:

https://youtu.be/7XbkXT-Ua7s

Here’s a nice fan-made video on Kim Hae-kyung and Woo Do-hee. I wish there were more of these.  :mellow:

That was beautiful. In my haze of disappointment I almost forgot how meaningful their meetings at the beginning of their relationship were - how easily they spoke to the other, the comfort they found in the other person, and the way they started to seek the other out, showing they were subconsciously missing each other. 

The scenes where their eyes meet are my favourites. On the bridge, when HK gives her his the business card, and the scene where HK shows up at 2N Box. Sigh, it started so well, the pace was good and their meetings were relaxed, DH was confident and quirky, HK was finding his happiness when they were together. It was so sweet when it was just them. Now I have the anxiety of expecting NE or JH to sour the mood all the time.  I feel like DH and HK are now both so miserable and they’re not relaxed together.  

I know it’s a kdrama, but usually it’s external forces that cause trouble and it reinforces the feelings the leads have for one another. In this case it’s not actually an external force,  because DH and HK could deal with JH together, what’s ruining their relationship is DH’s lying and her unstable emotional state. In making her so unstable I don’t know how they will progress the relationship. If she’s vulnerable and not thinking right they’re big no-no’s as far as being in a relationship is concerned. I don’t even really want to see HK fix it because their relationship should be boyfriend/girlfriend, not patient/psychiatrist. 

I miss you early episodes! 

:criesariver:

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

28 minutes ago, cantbreathe said:

That was beautiful. In my haze of disappointment I almost forgot how meaningful their meetings at the beginning of their relationship were - how easily they spoke to the other, the comfort they found in the other person, and the way they started to seek the other out, showing they were subconsciously missing each other. 

The scenes where their eyes meet are my favourites. On the bridge, when HK gives her his the business card, and the scene where HK shows up at 2N Box. Sigh, it started so well, the pace was good and their meetings were relaxed, DH was confident and quirky, HK was finding his happiness when they were together. It was so sweet when it was just them. Now I have the anxiety of expecting NE or JH to sour the mood all the time.  I feel like DH and HK are now both so miserable and they’re not relaxed together.  

I know it’s a kdrama, but usually it’s external forces that cause trouble and it reinforces the feelings the leads have for one another. In this case it’s not actually an external force,  because DH and HK could deal with JH together, what’s ruining their relationship is DH’s lying and her unstable emotional state. In making her so unstable I don’t know how they will progress the relationship. If she’s vulnerable and not thinking right they’re big no-no’s as far as being in a relationship is concerned. I don’t even really want to see HK fix it because their relationship should be boyfriend/girlfriend, not patient/psychiatrist. 

Omg so so true. I agree with everything you just said. I wish they’d give a justifiable reason as to why DH lied. And as much as HK loves her he shouldn’t let that slide. I feel like the way it can only be resolved is that DH owns up to her mistake, and seeks HK’s understanding. She also has to let go of her emotional turmoil and be sure of her own feelings for HK. Find her confident and quirky self again. Maybe she’d realize that during their break up?

• Like 4

On 7/3/2020 at 10:51 AM, akhenaten said:
Updated to 12/20 episodes??? I saw it on IQIYI (yes, I took out a VIP subscription just for this drama :D). 

14 hours ago, airgelaal said:

But our drama will end at 14 of July.

I also think it's a mistake, but nothing really scheduled after Dinner mate

I think that the confusion here is with the way that the drama episodes are numbered.  This is a "32 episode" show--in other words, 16 episodes counted as two in each one.  Thus, episode 20 is actually the second half of episode 10.

52 minutes ago, cantbreathe said:

.....I know it’s a kdrama, but usually it’s external forces that cause trouble and it reinforces the feelings the leads have for one another. In this case it’s not actually an external force,  because DH and HK could deal with JH together, what’s ruining their relationship is DH’s lying and her unstable emotional state. In making her so unstable I don’t know how they will progress the relationship.....

Well said.  I don't know how they will sort this (although I surely hope that they will).  In fact, I've been so royally annoyed about the mess from the most recent episode that I stayed away from the forum for a couple of days to catch my breath.  I felt very grumpy.  And I'm still kinda trying to get over it.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

@cantbreathe @starrynic @thistle @akhenaten 

Yes this last week wasn’t the best for this drama. (1 episode of the 2). I am still not loving it but I realize I must move on.

@huckleberrymoonriver Thanks for the clips always .

It is the weekend , tomorrow is Sunday and one day closer to Monday.

BTS clips look interesting & hope for more Keanu & AY (yes I sound like a broken record).

Seems like JH will talk more with Keanu. DH will stay away from HK for his own good. JH def set up HK with the reporter and as NE did with DH.

Yeah having DH as HK weak point for losing his cool on hand shows his deep emotions to DH. But at the price of losing his cool in his clinic check in area, def not cool .Must shock BJ as I am sure he has rarely seen HK this worked up.

I love the others comments writing of the better early episodes of our OTP. I hear you. The sass, the flirting, the nervous waiting for the other to respond. The other person eyes lighting up at the the thought, text, and sight of the other.

i loved how BJ said you were mean saying you would see her only is the trot singer got #1! Lol thanks to hacking they met up again! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cantbreathe said:

I understood that HK had a healing type of effect on DH but I don't think what she truly needed or was ready for was to get into a romantic relationship straight from a breakup, although her heart was going 2 steps ahead of her mind when it came to her feelings for HK. And now JH came back to reopen a wound that never truly healed, he even made it worse with his behaviour. I think DH would've healed way better if JH and NE weren't constantly in their space and their presence hadn't sped up the progression of her relationship with HK, they literally have no breathing room right now in this relationship. I think DH misses the easygoing friendship she had with HK when things weren't so complicated and they didn't know each other's names because things are moving too fast for her to cope but my thoughts on this are conflicted because I think a long friendship with HK would have had her too comfortable and complacent about her romantic feelings towards HK. Most likely, the longer their relationship was of a platonic nature, the more both would be too scared to risk the friendship they built and so, I can only predict that they'd eventually be two miserable people unsatisfied with the nature of their relationship. Remember, HK took her comforting advice about changing his outlook on dating as a subtle sign that she was interested in him but I think this is the problem, DH hints at wanting to advance in her relationship with HK but never follows through when he takes her cue and responds accordingly; she plays it off and pretends that she wasn't giving green signals when she realizes she asked for more than she can handle. For example, when she asked HK if he wanted ramyeon but ended up trolling him instead lol. HK understands she's skittish and has been mostly keeping the pace slow not to scare her, although he's had moments of weakness, like the movie date. JH is also uncontrollably clingy and dangerous at this point and nothing short of a restraining order and mental intervention will get him off her back. That's why I think she's gonna take the next episode or so to step-back, take a breather, and evaluate how she wants to move forward, I'm not shocked that a breakup is awaiting us to be honest. She really hasn't had time to digest her feelings and gain clarity after being confronted with situation after situation. Hopefully, she finds her confidence and resolve to sincerely chase after HK during this brief split.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

16 minutes ago, huckleberrymoonriver said:

Seems like HK will get drunk in next episode and his Sunbae will bring him home

Thank goodness it's not DH getting drop-dead drunk yet again.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

@huckleberrymoonriver Thanks for the article & preview pics.

So HK turn to drink being upset. We have seen it done too much by DH & AY. Keanu is a good sunbae. This preview of the arc DH and him are in bad terms really hitting HK hard. His practice took a hit, lost his lady & probably his participation with DH show is off the table. He def prob not used to being in this position. 

Glad for more Keanu !

Edited by Nodame
  • Like 3

@huckleberrymoonriver thanks for the preview pics!! I really do wonder why hadn’t he exposed his relationship with JH yet? Or even at least warned DH about him?? 

On the other hand, poor HK :tears: getting all drunk and sad. I’m so broken hearted for him. He doesn’t deserve it. @catch22 I wholeheartedly agree with all you’ve said. DH has been confusing him ever since the camping trip and she really needs to realize how she’s hurting him :tears: the guy literally did everything he normally wouldn’t have done for her and sigh.......she gave him only heartbreak :crybaby:

• Like 4

@huckleberrymoonriver @catch22 @starrynic @thistle

Definitely missing our OTP during their honeymoon phase which was very short lived!!! 

But yes two attractive people eating but not knowing each other’s names but enjoying each other’s company. I loved it a lot. I got to see more food (but lately not enough def not Let’s Eat series for sure).

Yeah I feel the separation i pray isn’t too long? It wasn’t after DH broke off their Dinner Mate arrangement.

AY & Keanu yessss more.

DH please get help and JH is dangerous! Uggh he is scary & a threat to himself and everyone around him too.

Edited by Nodame
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Nodame said:

.....But yes two attractive people eating but not knowing each other’s names but enjoying each other’s company. I loved it a lot.....

I kinda think that this was the best part of this drama.     There have been other really great moments and (of course) I love AY with Keanu but the first few episodes were so much fun.  I wish there had been more before the entrance of the Exes. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

17 minutes ago, thistle said:

I kinda think that this was the best part of this drama.     There have been other really great moments and (of course) I love AY with Keanu but the first few episodes were so much fun.  I wish there had been more before the entrance of the Exes. 

My thoughts exactly!!!! 

The exes are needed I understand but I did love their getting to know you are they flirting stage.:wub:

• Like 3

Will You Have Dinner With Me: Episodes 21-22

by selena

DIN2122-00131.jpg

With the broadcast interrupted, the team will have to make it up to the viewers by apologizing and working harder to create interesting content. Our couple experiences some uncomfortable moments and it’s important that they are addressed and not avoided. Meanwhile, the lovable neighborhood friend takes action, hoping to find closure before he moves on.

EPISODE 21 RECAP

DIN2122-00010.jpg
The broadcast is shut off abruptly and Jae-hyuk struggles to breathe due to his allergy. No-eul searches his bag for his medication and notices a picture of him and Do-hee. While everyone else is distracted, she purposely drops the photo onto the floor.

Worried, Do-hee angrily yells at Jae-hyuk for being careless, not realizing that he’s clutching onto her hand (it doesn’t escape Hae-kyung’s notice though). Hae-kyung takes control of the situation and recommends that he be taken to the hospital.

No-eul ever so calculatingly hands Jae-hyuk the dropped photo right in front of Hae-kyung and Do-hee. Do-hee glances at Hae-kyung, but he keeps a straight face and doesn’t betray any emotion.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/07/will-you-have-dinner-with-me-episodes-21-22/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Even though those exes have had a big presence in the two last episode. I also think there have been sweet scenes too between our OTP. we had the kiss! we did see them eat and also we had DH saying she was happy to see HK after a hard day (this really says allot about how he give her strength and make her happy) But yeah it is very sad seeing those exes pulling the rug under DH and HK.  

What I want to see is DH realizing that she do not want to lose HK and start helping him getting his reputation back. I mean this is important to happens fast, and make her forget her own insecurity.. Since she feels guilty for not being honest with him. She therefor go out of her ways to help her boyfriend. Of course we also have AY and K and the rest of the team helping out. I really want to see this after DH got to have her moment of sadness. I also think this would be karma for those exes thinking they manage to separate our OTP.

Anyway I really hope writer gives DH some growth in the next episodes and we can see her being confident in her relationship with HK. Let this be the last of JH and NE doing all their tricks and we got to move on to DH and HK growth.

• Like 6
  • Love 3

https://twitter.com/zapzee_net/status/1279720505075920898?s=20

Sharing this review of the drama.  I do share some of the sentiments of this review, especially the part when the reviewer said that the quality seemed to have gone down when the plot went towards the direction of their exes.  The reason why the drama was so good in its first half was the way Kim Hae-kyung and Woo Do-hee's relationship was unfolding, through shared meals and conversations.  Unfortunately, there were less scenes of these moments between them when they became a couple.  Worse, the drama seemed to spend more time on the exes, rather than the story of the main characters.  There are so many undeveloped plot points in the drama that would have been more compelling in their character journey, such as the arc of Kim Hae-kyung and his mother, and that of Do-hee and her own parents.  There is also the story of Ah-Young and Dr. Hyun-ho.  Yet these arcs were hardly even touched upon in the last few episodes.  Instead, they spent so much time making No-eul act all petty and Jae-hyuk act all weird.  And I personally think they spend too much time with that paintball game.  It could have been cut short without taking anything away from the story. 

And then the drama made Do-hee act totally out of character in the last episode by making her lie to Hae-kyung about Jae-hyuk.  And she didn't seem to be bothered by it the very next day.  She was shown having breakfast with her parents as if nothing happened, and having coffee and laughing with Hae-kyung, as if she never lied to him about something so important to their relationship.   At the very least, I would have expected her to come clean about her issue with Jae-hyuk to her mom.  A conversation with her mom the night she rushed to her parents' house would have been good because it not only would have been expected, but it would help in making her mother understand her daughter's heart (and drive the development of the relationship between her and her mom).  And I would have expected the drama to show some sort of restlessness in Do-hee the next morning as she talked to Hae-kyung.  I'm sure she could sense that Hae-kyung knows something's going on with her but he's being such a gentleman that he respects her prerogative in sharing these things with him.         

One of the worst things, I think, for a drama or a film or book to do is to alienate the viewers or readers from the main characters.  Whereas everyone once loved Do-hee very much, now they're starting to see her as effectively sabotaging her relationship with Hae-kyung with her secrecy.  She's always been a forthright and honest person, so the lies regarding Jae-hyuk doesn't make sense in the context of her character.  This negative reaction to her character might worsen if the drama persists in using the old noble idiocy trope, which is also not in keeping with the kind of person Do-hee was written to be.  

I do understand that there needs to be some cathartic moment for the main characters, a conflict that would drive the plot development as well as their character development as well.  If Jae-hyuk and No-eul have to be instrumental in that catharsis, then I'm fine with it, but it should be done in such a way that it makes sense.  And these characters must also make sense.  I kind of get that Jae-hyuk's actions five years ago when he just left Do-hee and his obsessive desire to get her back now is driven by his mental state, which was also brought about by his childhood trauma.  However, No-eul isn't so well-developed.  Her motivations are unclear so the only thing we get from her single-minded determination to get Hae-kyung back is that she's selfish and narcissistic and she sees him as a means to feed her own ego.  Even if that were really the case, a bit more of character development on her part would have worked wonders for the drama.  I would have wanted to know why someone as perceptive and intelligent as Hae-kyung would love someone like her.  And quite deeply too.  

I really hope the writer and director steer the drama back on course in the last 4 episodes.  We already know it's a done deal coz they've posted photos of their wrap up party.  Whatever they may have shot, that's how the drama will go.  We can only hope that they worked something out to salvage the near-disaster that was episode 12 and that they have managed it in 4 episodes without it being rushed.  Otherwise, we will be left again with the tragedy of a good drama being ruined and an excellent pairing in Seo Ji Hye and Song Seung Heon being wasted. In all honesty, I think what elevated this drama is the excellent chemistry between these actors and how they made us believe that a deep and intimate relationship can truly happen between two people, even if they don't know each other's names.  In the end, this is what may save this drama as well.     

• Like 4
  • Insightful 4

I just rewatched episode 11 & 12 [21-24].. I just thought, DH changed her passcode to SJH (her) real birthday (mm-dd: 0824).. 

Just want to share it!! ^^

Waiting for Monday but honestly not as excited as the previous episodes, it's just that I don't want to expect good interactions from DH and HK.. I know this week will be tough for sad to happy story transition but definetely still waiting for next week.. For sure there'll be happy ending based on BTS pictures released..

ROOTING FOR A HAPPY ENDING FOR DH & HK!! 

• Like 5

@akhenaten  I couldn’t have said it better myself about the points you brought up towards the breakdown of the drama. Def the sheer star power and OTP chemistry is good but the plot initially captivated us too!! With the other arcs abandoned and full steam ahead with the toxic exes grr. Yeah I agree paintball was way too long. Probably  writer nim had writers block using that as long filler. Sigh.

@huckleberrymoonriver Omg love this last posting all your fave clips, yes they are beautiful talking points for them to get closer. So beautiful & their deepening their bonds of relationship there. So lovely and yes def crossing the line but natural and not forced. The flow of their conversation is gold.:happy2:

@nyzah13 cool you could make out the new home passcode is SJH bday?! Woah.

Not as excited for tomorrow but I will persevere .

• Like 3