[Drama 2020] Dinner Mate/Shall We Eat Dinner Together?, 저녁 같이 드실래요?

larus

I'm going through the early episodes, especially episodes 5 to 8 and I really, really miss the dynamic between Hae-kyung and Do-hee, the push and pull, and the undeniable sexual tension. 

The sudden shift into melodrama territory has put a damper on the overall mood but I really hope we get back the warmth and ease and comfort between them soon. :please:

Anyway, look at these wonderful stills I found! :heart4:

https://twitter.com/analia_ikonic/status/1280116374673784838?s=19

• Like 4
  • Love 1

The episode begins with HK counseling JH. JH speaks of his father who he said never accepted him as a son.  He said his mom wasn't strong enough to love him. He said he thought that no one would care if he died but then DH was with him. HK is turned off by this and suggests transferring his case to another therapist. JH refuses. He said only HK can understand what he's feeling. How important DH is to him and how much he loves DH. He told HK that night when he came to DH's house, the night she sent him back. He pauses and HK asks him what is he talking about. He told him that he was there that night when DH sent him back. HK takes some time to digest this information and he asks JH if he's saying he was there that night. JH notices HK thinking on this and he's kind of using this to his advantage and tells HK, she didn't tell you? 

Flashback to DH telling that lie to HK. HK is obviously bothered by what she did. JH, playing innocent, tells him not to get the wrong idea. He said it was nothing. JH tells HK he just went there because he really missed her. He said when he got there, he pressed the passcode wondering if it was the same one and it was the same. So he just went inside. He tells HK, DH will protect him (JH) with whatever he does just like that night. He yells because DH loves him. This guy is nuts!  HK gets up and punches him and says, "You crazy jerk!"

DH arrives in a taxi. Things pick back up now from the last scene of last episode. HK is extremely unprofessional here. This is terrible writing for his character. DH looks at HK. The reporter is taking a video of the scene. HK's assistant try to stop him. JH starts to talk to DH. HK tells him don't move. DH is just standing there. I don't know what to think about her. Really. Anyway, one of HK's patient starts to hyperventilate and he goes to get her to calm down. DH drags JH out of HK's office. Once again, HK is unprofessional, leaves the patient to his assistant and runs out after DH and her crazy ex. He's too late, they left in a taxi. 

In the taxi, the driver asks where to. JH responds but DH cuts him off and says to the police station. She repeats to the driver, to the nearest police station. The cousin is pacing feeling that something terrible is about to happen and he blames himself. He tells this to NE who came to work. The taxi drops DH and her ex off at the police station. He starts to apologize when he gets out of the cab. Outside the police station, DH stoops down and start to scream and cry. The psycho looking on watching her cry. I don't know if it's sunk in that he's driving her into a corner. 

DH calls the cousin and tells him that she's by the police station and that he must come by without telling anyone. Hk is driving and calling DH but she's not answering her phone. There's a flashback scene where the cousin went off on NE by telling her that she and JH are getting in the way of HK and DH. He tells her and she and JH has no conscience. They say they love the other person but they have no interest in that other person's happiness. NE says HK was happy when he was with her. The cousin tells her she's unbelievable. In the present, NE talks to the reporter that she was working with last episode and finally tells him that the article would be full of lies. I don't know if this is her finally facing reality after JH's cousin lambasted her. 

HK is in the office with AY. He's looking for DH and vaguely tells her that there was an incident at his office. He leaves after AY confirms that she doesn't know where DH is. It's night now and DH and her ex are still standing outside the police station. When the cousin arrives, she tells him that she came to report JH for stalking and trespassing. She doesn't report him but gives him another chance by telling his cousin to take care of him. She says if he shows up in front of her again she will report him. 

The cousin calls HK to tell him that DH was at the police station but left. She walks to the bridge where she and HK had met by fate. She reminisces on their memories there. She says in her thoughts that she's scared because she values her present too much and because she can't erase her past. 

HK goes to see Keanu. Meanwhile the two terrible exes are at the cousin's place no doubt drowning in pity for themselves after causing so much hurt and destruction. Back to Keanu and HK. HK tells his diagnosis of JH's condition. He regrets punching JH in the face. He said he should have cared for DH first. He said he shouldn't have let DH go like that. He said he was angry. He said he was mad that she lied to him. He was a bit mad about how she didn't tell him the truth to cover for that jerk. He said he understood why DH lied to cover for JH. He said he understands but then it seems to be a thing that therapist say because Keanu says he used to say the same thing. HK admits he's mad but he misses her. And then he hates her. By the way, all of this is said while he's drunk. 

DH finally appears there. HK is a little passed out drunk and she asks Keanu why is HK like this. I guess she means why is he drunk. She starts to say "I'm sorry" while he's there lying drunk. DH regrets telling HK about her past relationships and wonders how different things would have been if she hadn't told him so much. 

HK wakes up the next morning in a room with Keanu. Flashback to Keanu taking HK home on his back. lol Over at DH's place, she texts AY that she's taking the day off. She goes outside and HK is right in front of her door. He invites her to go to breakfast. Instead, they stay at her place to eat breakfast where she makes him instant meal. He thanks her for the breakfast. 

They talk about JH. Hk said he heard everything from the cousin and he says it's okay. DH says it's not okay. She said he doesn't deserve this. They're not Romeo and Juliet. Their relationship is not that special but everything is a complete mess. HK said it's not her fault. She agrees but said that nothing would have happened if they just went on their own ways without knowing each other's name. She said she's regretting, that's all. HK asks if she means it. She said yes. HK says to let him guess what's she's feeling right now. She said she feels uncomfortable eating with him right now. She's not sure if she can eat with him comfortably. 

AY and Keanu have breakfast. He tells her that HK is indeed his junior from medical school and not high school. Ms. DH is now home at the breakfast table alone and nursing her grief. JH is also at his cousin's place still lying in a daze on his sofa. The cousin calls HK who is sitting outside DH's apartment building lost in his thoughts. He tells HK about JH's condition and asks him if it's okay to leave him alone at home like that. HK says he will send someone over. It's Keanu. He arrives at the cousin's place. 

HK rescheduled all his patients. He keeps reflecting on what DH told him earlier that morning. His assistant warned him about the reporter and that his business might be in trouble. He ignores this and tells his assistant to shut the door after he leaves. DH goes home to visit her mom. They order fried chicken and they're basically hanging out. DH denies that something happened. The mother told her that she went to see HK. DH then realized that it was her mother who told HK that she would advise her daughter to dump him if she ever brought him home. lol DH is tickled by the fact that HK and her may be Romeo and Juliet after all with the disapproving parent and all. 

The guy who was a former patient brings his new Vietnamese wife to HK and they brought Vietnamese food for HK. While looking at the food HK remembers what DH told him about not being able to eat comfortably with him. He looks like his heart is breaking and the food reminds him of that painful memory. Nevertheless he takes a bite of what's looks to be a summer roll. The wife thanks him and they all begin to eat the food together. Poor HK. The guy looks like he's crying while eating.

JH is still lying listless on the sofa. He notices Keanu and asks him why did he come.  Keanu tells him to eat the food that's laid out on the table. NE is jogging and reflects on what HK told her at the paint ball site. Maybe it's finally sinking in that she needs to let go and move on. Keanu tells JH to eat the porridge. He said this might not have happened if he didn't arouse JH. JH denies this and says it has nothing to do with DH. Keanu says yes it does. JH says it's about his father. Keanu says yes and that's why JH was obsessed with DH and turned it into his illness. JH screams "Why?.....why is loving DH an illness?" Keanu tells him his love turned into poison and created an illness inside him. JH denies this. He said it's not true. He tells Keanu to get out. He's screaming and crying. He tells Keanu he thinks he's right. He has an illness in his heart but he can get better if he gets counseling and treatments, right? He said he really meant what he said. He really love DH. He's on his knees before Keanu, crying and saying he didn't mean to hurt her. He truly loves DH. He really does. It hurts so much. Keanu tells him let them not live like this anymore. 

DH is still at her mom's place. She said to let them go blow off some steam. They went to an arcade to play games. AY and DH's friend joins them. NE goes to HK's office. She came to tell HK that she gave up. Also, a flashback shows that she saw HK kissing DH at the paint ball site. Finally it's over with NE's persistence. She means it this time. She cries as she walks down the sidewalk alone. 

DH walks home to find HK outside her apartment waiting for her. She walks past him and he says to stay safe. He said that he'll make it comfortable for her to eat with him again so don't worry and wait for him. He tells her not to worry about anything and he pats her on the shoulder and turns to leave. Next day DH calls AY to take three more days off. She claims she's cleaning her apartment. 

HK goes to see his mom who asks for DH. HK's mom tells HK not to give up on DH and the next time he comes to bring her. She can see her son is sad. HK's mom goes into surgery. Thankfully HK's assistant is there with him. A nurse brings a note to HK that his mom left for him. She apologizes to him for not remembering that he's the most important person to her and she tells him she loves him. 

HIS MOM DIED. It's so heartbreaking. The surgeons came out and told him they're sorry. HK is stunned. He reflects on his memories of his mom. HK starts to cry now that it finally sank in. Oh. My. Gosh. I'm crying too. It's so sad. THE END.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 8

30 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

She says if he shows up in front of her again she will report him.

Whoa DH. you go girl tell him that you do not tolerate his behavior even scaring her :D  Yeah I sure agree that HK was unprofessional, but JH have been egging him on for quite some time. Of course he have his limit too so he snapped by JH being provocative. 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, sal2 said:

Whoa DH. you go girl tell him that you do not tolerate his behavior even scaring her :D  Yeah I sure agree that HK was unprofessional, but JH have been egging him on for quite some time. Of course he have his limit too so he snapped by JH being provocative. 

Yeah! I’m so happy she made herself very clear to JH, and there are no more misunderstandings. I really worried they might make DH think HK was being aggressive and threatening JH. 

:hwaiting2:

Urgh, spoke too soon. I hate that DH needs to hurt HK unnecessarily to sort her headspace out. She couldn’t have just said I need some time??

• Like 4

1 minute ago, thistle said:

Could you tell us more?  Spoilers, please.

I saw them at HK's mom funeral and then together as before as couple and i'm totally happy! But the crazy guy will play another crazy thing i suppose 'cause on the last frame of preview there will be something that happen to HK and Doo Hee will be there...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, thistle said:

Could you tell us more?  Spoilers, please.

Lolol since @celebrianna is recapping,  i thought we would eventually get to the spoiler but 

Spoiler

HKs mom died as we all have guessed.  Very sad crying HK to end the end.  

Preview shows that our OTP getting back together tomorrow and some sweet scenes to follow.  

Prob will the end week with some JH hindrances again tho. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lalalaelala said:

Lolol since @celebrianna is recapping,  i thought we would eventually get to the spoiler but 

Hide contents

HKs mom died as we all have guessed.  Very sad crying HK to end the end.  

Preview shows that our OTP getting back together tomorrow and some sweet scenes to follow.  

Prob will the end week with some JH hindrances again tho. 

Thank you!  And thanks also to @lolly84

.....I admit that I am unwilling to watch today's episode because I am really not happy about where the drama has been going (lying is a big issue for me and so is HK's unprofessional behavior) but I really, really still want to know what is happening.  Bad me.  ;)

.....editing because I forgot to thank @celebrianna for recapping for us!  Thank you so much!  You are our hero for today!  :star:

• Like 4
  • Love 2

@thistle, I thought of you during that scene where HK's mom died. It's a really heartbreaking scene. You kept saying that he needs to confront his problem with her instead of running away and I'm just really glad they reconciled because at least she got to tell him those important words. It's a really stirring scene. It just broke my heart when he cried so much for his mom. 

You guys were talking that HK loves more than DH. I think nothing has changed this episode. It's still him waiting for her and accommodating her. It's still him missing her and almost near tears. I don't know if you all will like today's episode. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Poor HK and DH. The bad day started with JH and just got worse..... I understand DH, I belive she sure feeling very guilty for lying to Hk and the affect it had. I think she did not want her past relationship affecting her and HK relationship like this. But I am glad HK is not giving up though and want to make her comfortable eating with him aging. you go man breaking her walls :D 

Poor HK trying to figure out what she really means with her words. It is like a puzzle. I think what she really says is that she need time. She is putting up her walls... I think this is what make her not fully letting herself love him as she is scared getting hurt again by the the person she loves leaving her.

But then his mother. :tears:  just how much is  this poor man gonna handle. SO happy though seeing DH gonna be there for him when he needs her. Time to give your man a shoulder to cry on and show how you love him. 

• Like 6

Hi all! Sorry I'm late to join this cozy dinner table :)

I started this drama for Seo Ji Hye, and to catch the cameo of Kim Jung Hyun (thats right, I was a avid fan of their previous work together!). But unfortunately, the comic relief and exaggerated over the top acting just in that short snippet wasn't quite for me I must admit (cue drama "Love with Flaws" where the unrealistic? humourous? acting was just unrelatable). 

Then SJH and Song Seung Hoon's BTS came up on my youtube feed, I dare say their chemistry reminded me of his and Kim Tae Hee's back from their "My Princess" days, loved his acting and their convincing love line back then. So I decided to give this drama another shot, and there was no turning back! I have to say, in no way is this the most innovative intense heart wrenching tear jerking story-of-my-life drama. I can see why the reception isn't amazing for a drama that had the best intentions and a masterpiece a beckoning--day to day people who are comforted with food that heals the soul, our OTP who rediscover each other and find love, the beautiful filmography and locations that do not resemble the regular Seoul we see in other dramas (anyone else thinks that DH's residence, Golham, is somewhere out of Seoul?). Sometimes I wish they would cut back on a bit of the comic style acting (don't get me wrong, humour is entertaining but needs to be restrained at times to refrain from distracting the audience immersion into the storyline), maybe then the korean audience would not have criticised their acting as being sub-par, when really, they were just trying to inject humour. In all that screen time the writer could have chosen to expand and focus on other plots-- HK's relationship with his mother/JH's lack of love growing up that led to his obsession with DH and how he gets healed/NoEul's emotional reliance on HK. And I get that the focus of the drama is our 4 main characters, but since the theme is healing through food, it would have been ideal if each of HK's patients had more of an emotional or relatable story to tell (Hotel del Luna/Master's Sun style) like his 2nd patient who attempted suicide because of his wife. Realistic storylines such as those may have drawn in a wider audience.

I mean, if only other non fans of the drama

had witnessed our OTP and even Jung Jae Hyuk's raw emotions and crying scenes today that was so beautifully executed (it tugged at my heartstrings), the drama would have definitely garnered the positive feedback it deserved! 

Clearly this drama does not contain the perfect writing we would have wished for, with loopholes in the storyline and less than desirable characteristics of our leads as a few have already pointed out.

But can I just say, the chemistry between our leads is just, :wut:.

I mean, just the BTS alone of their kiss scene got me searching to see if a couple forum had been created for them :lol:. Can I fangirl on SSH and SJH as a potential couple? They look so cute interacting in their BTS ! Its either that, or the convincing love line between our OTP that is drawing me in :wub:

If anything, the writer had done well building up on DH-HK's relationship, that initial awkwardness, the typical push and pull, that ever so apparent attraction but restraint put in place for fear of rejection again. The dynamics between our leads is definitely the biggest factor I'm hooked, I even tuned in to today's episode live after last week's cliffhanger!

With only 3 episodes to go and most of the story telling done, I hope the momentum does not slow down from here. I would hate to see SJH's first lead project, and a team of actors who clearly get along so well (I even love how SSH and Director-nim are such good friends) end this drama on a low. Its definitely an underrated drama to say the least.

P.s. anyone else caught on how SSH and SJH joked in their BTS about having Son Naeun walk in and witness them kissing? And Viola! Our Director-nim adds that scene in today to explain why she finally decides to give up on Hk! 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, nyzah13 said:

@huckleberrymoonriverI don't want to expect but shocks this gives me butterflies in my stomach.. An IG account named dinner_couple gives me so much hope of our OTP actually based from short clips with meaningful interaction of SJH & SSH.. He/she got sharp eyes and observation skills with those matching captions that makes me so delusional about their staging relationship.. HAHAHA :sweatingbullets: Ayyyyeee.. :tounge_wink::wub: Love is in the air.. :heart:

@nyzah13New BTS of not yet seen episode. SSH and SJH kept holding hands because of something they both want to hold.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, thistle said:

.....I admit that I am unwilling to watch today's episode because I am really not happy about where the drama has been going (lying is a big issue for me and so is HK's unprofessional behavior) but I really, really still want to know what is happening.  Bad me.  ;)

I think I’m going to skip this episode too. I’ll just watch it at the end once they give us the sweet scenes again.

In the preview, it’s still HK giving DH a hug, she’s not doing any of the pursuing. I’m getting really tired of it as I feel like HK is giving out so much and getting nothing back and it’s unrealistic he’d go back for more rejection and or standoffishness.

We know what DH is thinking, he doesn’t, so for him it’s just rejection piled on rejection. She’s much colder than at the beginning of the series. (Although I admit haven’t seen the latest episode, it just seems like it). I know this is an unpopular view, but I still feel like DH doesn’t deserve HK. She doesn’t ever consider his feelings. 

Anyone who has ever had a messy relationship may know they have issues, but you should still able to be considerate to your new partner. HK has very deep feelings for her, and she knows he took a leap of faith on her, does this even factor into her thoughts?? 

Since this is about healing and eating, couldn’t we have had more of our couple healing each other and eating? It would have been nice if they remained oblivious for longer and it would have kept this awkwardness to a minimum. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

22 minutes ago, sal2 said:

Poor HK trying to figure out what she really means with her words. It is like a puzzle. I think what she really says is that she need time. She is putting up her walls... I think this is what make her not fully letting herself love him as she is scared getting hurt again by the the person she loves leaving her.

But then his mother. :tears:  just how much is  this poor man gonna handle. SO happy though seeing DH gonna be there for him when he needs her. Time to give your man a shoulder to cry on and show how you love him. 

I feel you!! I was thinking the same while watching.

I felt so bad for HK, the poor man with his reputation as a doctor on the line, potentially going through a break in his relationship, then losing his mother. Like how does that happen all in 1 episode! I just wanted DH to be there for him to comfort him so badddddllyyy :(

• Like 5

@YuSanSeul, yep, I also think it would have been nice if this was a healing drama by using the psychiatric profession. I think Hospital Playlist and Chocolate did the healing drama type well. One was about doctors and their patients stories and the other was about a Hospice and their dying patient stories. In that vein, it might have been nice if a similar story telling was employed here with the romance as a nice complement. However, I guess the thing about a drama is that it’s a writer’s story to tell. I don’t think someone with JH’s issues should have been neglected this long. It would have been nice if his cousin as a family member could have intervened sooner. Well, the story is what it is now so all we can do is see what happens next.

• Like 4