[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

Hwa Sa mesmerizing vocal shines in beautiful "Orbit" music video from "The King: Eternal Monarch"

MAMAMOO's Hwa Sa debuts as a solo OST singer for SBS's 'The King: Eternal Monarch'!

Hwa Sa's  OST Part.2 for 'The King: Eternal Monarch' was released today. "Orbit" will serve as the ending theme song for the drama series, boasting a powerful mixture of hip-hop and guitar sounds. The lyrics depict an individual's vows to protect the ones they love.

This marks Hwa Sa's first-ever solo OST, approximately 6 years after her debut. Do you like Hwa Sa's OST at the end of SBS's 'The King: Eternal Monarch'?

credit: https://www.allkpop.com/video/2020/04/hwa-sa-mesmerizing-vocal-shines-in-beautiful-orbit-music-video-from-the-king-eternal-monarch

There is also another OST I heard in episode 2, the singer repeats the word "gravity" in it. Do you know the name of the singer?! I like that too! :))

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Yoojay said:

I've just watched 2nd episode. Woah the plot! 

I'm just curious, why in every reflection of LeeGon, there are two persons? 

First at the blue mirrored building, second is at the museum. 

Or is it just me who take this seriously while it means nothing? Hahah. 

Btw, hwasa's voice is sooo gooodd! Love all the ost:wub:

It is normal to have two reflections from a single pane of glass, one from the front of the glass and one from the back.  At the glass building there are even more reflections, but it could be because there are more panes of glass.  Even so, something weird is going on there.  Where did the Rabbit go?

aa4904644e63c59da94a654c15287b323be0bc9b

What's going on here?

fdf1bd5d6284114ec74e27fff0ffe809c31fdd1f

• Like 8
  • Insightful 3

I think LG has been in love with her since he was 8 years old. Not real love, of course, but think how many times he's contemplated her image, thinking she's responsible for saving his life. I think that's why he's a little disappointed in tough demeanor at first. He had a more romantic image of her in his mind. It will be so interesting to see what happens in that relationship!

• Like 12

So excited about this drama.  Last Lee Min Ho's drama that I like wasThe Great Doctor or The Good Doctor.  I think he had great chemistry with the female lead, even tho she is older.  And what a great love story it was.  I tried The Heir and LOTBS, but didn't get to finish them for some reason.  :crazy:  Looking forward to my Friday and Saturday mornings.  :w00t:

• Like 2

Imagine the king returning to Corea with a buttonless coat. Grandma, believing he chased after a girl, would think he gave all his diamonds to a woman. Omo, doesn’t that make the king look like such a clueless and dumb hopeless romantic? Hahahahaha :lol:

• Like 6
  • LOL 7

36 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

Imagine the king returning to Corea with a buttonless coat. Grandma, believing he chased after a girl, would think he gave all his diamonds to a woman. Omo, doesn’t that make the king look like such a clueless and dumb hopeless romantic? Hahahahaha :lol:

He was very wasteful with the money from the diamonds staying at 5 star hotel and buying everything there is. I think he will head back soon to Corea and this time it seemed like his not coming alone or empty handed but he will bring the girl with him back to Corea. I have seen them riding on the horse towards the portal can't wait for that moment to come. She dosen't believe him yet on his claim about multiverse and I don't blame her for it

• Like 6

First Impressions: The King: Eternal Monarch | Episodes 1-2

I already had high hopes with this drama based on the story elements they said they will be using. You can’t blame me since they have a modern monarch, parallel universe (my excitement went from 5 to 500 after knowing this premise), and of course, romance. These are my personal beloved tropes and Kim Eun-sook decided to use it all at once. Saying this series definitely delivered would be an understatement. From the cinematography to its intense storytelling, the pilot episode unabashedly pulled me into its world. The credit really goes to the set-up written by Kim Eun-sook. She truly knows how to create a believable fictional world with a detailed background and interesting characters. Of course, the production team led by PD Baek Sang-hoon has also successfully brought into life Eun-sook’s vision for this drama.

The character introductions felt a bit short as the premiere episode was focused on showing the difference between the two worlds: The Kingdom of Corea and the Republic of Korea. But I think it was enough to build the air of mystery around them.

(Side note: I love that Lee Min-ho’s character is a mathematician and he easily concluded that he was in a parallel universe since he’s familiar with the theory.)

Full article: https://ahjummamshies.wordpress.com/2020/04/19/first-impression-the-king-eternal-monarch-episodes-1-2/

• Like 8
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

Lol! Thank you for the laugh :lol:.

Hi everyone. I've watched both episodes and I unfortunately find the world building loose. I found it hard to keep track which is Korea vs Corea because the surroundings look the same. I am aslo confused with King Tan's fixation with Goblin's bride. His character seems to like her since he was a kid, but the name tag is from the future....so basicly kid King Tan fell for an Noona/Ahjumma? Hehehe. As he grow older, he acknowledges that now he is older than her...which is honestly weird for me. He waited 25 years for a future 30yo. I can't compute. Time travel clashes with parallel world. 

wVwKVm.gif

Anyways...my theory is...the black figure that saved kid King Tan is King Tan himself....he traveled to the past to somewhat change history but it went haywire. I feel Harry Potter Prisoner of Azkaban vibes with this drama. Hehehe

• Like 6
  • LOL 3

2020042001001308400087931.jpg

The Return of the Korean Wave God
"Hallyu stars" are heating up the small screen one after another.

Lee Min-ho was the first to take the mound. Lee Min-ho made a comeback to the small screen three years after his military service with SBS' "The King-Eternal Monarch," which first aired on the 17th. Although there must have been a lot of love calls, he chose to play the role of Lee Gon, the emperor of the Korean Empire, amid infinite trust in writer Kim Eun-sook, who had produced good results with SBS' "The Heirs." 

Lee Min-ho is showing off his chemistry with Kim Go-eun (played by Jung Tae-eul), perfectly digesting Kim Eun-sook's ticklish dialogue as well as her still-looking appearance. In addition, the bromance with Woo Do-hwan (Cho Young), the commander of the Imperial Guard, is another point to watch. As soon as "The King" started, it surpassed 11 percent (Nielsen Korea, based on national standards), heralding a huge success. In addition, "The King" is known to have already collected production costs with profits from broadcasting rights and Netflix rights. If PPL profits are added to this, it is expected to record even more profit. It is said that Lee Min-ho's influence played its part.

Expectations are high not only for viewers but also for the industry. Amid a string of recent slumps in a series of dramas, Studio Dragon is looking for a chance to rebound with "The King" and "Youth Record." Industry sources also predicted a possible rise in stock prices. While dramas that have drawn expectations from the casting stage are taking off one by one, attention is being paid to whether Korean Wave stars representing Korea and abroad will be able to make their names.

http://www.sportsseoul.com/news/read/907282?ref=naver

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1

19 minutes ago, katakwasabi said:

Lol! Thank you for the laugh :lol:.

Hi everyone. I've watched both episodes and I unfortunately find the world building loose. I found it hard to keep track which is Korea vs Corea because the surroundings look the same.

Seoul in Corea looks like a modern day Joseon Dynasty mixed in with street cars while Seoul in Korea looks like what you see in modern day Seoul.  

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

I always love dramas about a modern day Joseon Dynasty. It makes me wonder if in the Kingdom of Corea, there is no North Corea and there was never a Korean War and the Japanese had never occupied the Peninsula in 1910. For all we know, Corea could have occupied Japan and is still ruling it today. This is what I love about alternative worlds. I wish there was some why to know the history of this world.      

• Like 6

The first 2 episodes are a bit slow. I’d like to think it was necessary though to build up the story.

When the king meets Tae Eul it becomes much more interesting. The king is one cheesy fella, with all those corny pick-up line. No wonder Tae Eul not falling for it. Lol.

But it’s very cute the way his face lights up when she’s around. 

75-E1-C3-F4-76-C9-4-AD5-9-EB5-85-C5-B3-B

A62-ABC51-EA5-C-4648-8-FE6-780135-E69561

Here’s my favorite scene in episode 2. I don’t know how these two are gonna end up together with the way it’s been going. Haha.

C7-B44910-FF96-4-CD0-85-ED-CA04-DBDA9-A6

DFD10953-9942-4-DEF-8358-26-AD204262-C7.

ps: that smug smile at the end. They are so cute!

• Like 8
  • Love 3

@katakwasabi I’m laughing because you call him King Tan lol :lol:. I’m pretty sure it’s King Gon but I get what you’re referencing lol. I don’t find it as hard to follow because of the people around. It’s easy for me to distinguish which character belongs to which world and I know only the king and Lee Lim can cross the worlds. You’ll also notice when Lee Rim crosses the world, he is dressed differently. In Corea, he’s usually dressed well in a suit while in Korea, he disguises himself in rugged clothing. I think it’ll become easier as we familiarize ourselves with which character belongs to which world. 

Yes, we’ve all come to conclusion that time traveling is at play here. I’m 90% certain the king saved himself at the beginning. Why he developed a liking towards JTE, it think it’s pretty simple, you’ll like anyone who saved you. Is it love? Probably not but you may be fond of them.

@Joanna Alfson nope, we haven’t come up with a name for the otp yet :D

• Like 6

5 hours ago, jerboa83 said:

"Baby" Maximus seems an adult Falabella pony to me (like the one in this pic)... Look at its short legs! It can't grow into a normal-sized horse, LOL! :joy:

Yeah, the little pony was cute but it definitely is of another breed :lol:

I am sorry to say that Maximus is an old grandpa now. Horses live for around 25-30 years. Since 25 years has passed, handsome Maximus probably won’t be around for too much longer :persevere: I wished they hadn’t introduced Maximus as being that old....

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, kboramint said:

I always love dramas about a modern day Joseon Dynasty. It makes me wonder if in the Kingdom of Corea, there is no North Corea and there was never a Korean War and the Japanese had never occupied the Peninsula in 1910. For all we know, Corea could have occupied Japan and is still ruling it today. This is what I love about alternative worlds. I wish there was some why to know the history of this world.      

When Lee Lim came to Korea, he was stumped at first by the news headlines which talked of the president, the republic, north-south relations, etc.  This was different from Corea.  After being in Korea, Lee Gon wanted to try budae jjigae--the army stew made from US supplies--something new to him.  So I believe you are correct:  there is no division of Corea.  I also believe there was no Japanese occupation.  It seems like this Corea shows what might have been.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Don't know how I feel about those first two episodes. Acting aside (have to say, I'm not big on either of the leads but do like WDH) I feel like this will already become a bit of a convoluted mess. Kim Eun-sook is hit and miss for me but I enjoyed Mr Sunshine to the extent that I will give this at least 2-4 more episodes to see the direction they want to go in.

• Like 2