[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

OSEN | 2020. 04. 20. 8:38 AM

"The King: Eternal Monarch" speaks out about Japanese-style design in drama

2-A6-DFCCD-ED96-4982-A66-D-EC508-DD668-F

"The King: Eternal Monarch" production team made a stance on the controversy of Japan-flavored designs in the drama.

The Sat-Sun drama "The King: Eternal Monarch" (SBS) has gained much attention from TV viewers when its rating reached the 2-digit milestone right from the first episode on April 17. However, after the drama went on air, there was an opinion in the online community that the image of the building used in the drama's title intro is Japan-flavored, thereby sparking the controversy over Japanophilia.

In regard to this, on April 20, the drama's producer Hwa&Dam Pictures said, "The royal crest of the Great Korean Empire is designed following the "double plum flower" concept with one flower wrapping around another flower to represent the Constitutional Monarchy in which the Congress or the Government taking the Royal Family as the center. We would like to confirm that it has nothing to do with the Imperial Seal of Japan."

The company shared, "During the designing of the fictional 2-floor wooden building based on characteristics of our country's pagodas and Chinese palaces, we would like to confirm that we used some features of Japanese pagodas. It's an undeniable mistake of the production team that we did not notice the details during the designing of the Great Korean Empire fictional space and we sincerely apologize for this."

Finally, the production team added, "The production team will immediately revise the title design and make sure that there will be no inconvenience for the audience from episode 3. The already broadcast episodes will be changed in re-broadcasting and VOD services."

The production company's stance is as follows.

Hwa&Dam Pictures production company would like to give our stance regarding the matter that is stirring public opinion recently.

Firstly, we are going to talk about the royal crest of the Great Korean Empire.

The royal crest of the Great Korean Empire is designed following the "double plum flower" concept with one flower wrapping around another flower to represent the Constitutional Monarchy in which the Congress or the Government taking the Royal Family as the center. We would like to confirm that it has nothing to do with the Imperial Seal of Japan.

Next, we'd like to talk about the production of the title intro.

First of all, the wooden tower is constructed following the shape of the 5-floor wooden pagoda Baekje, which is on display at the Baekje History Reproduction Complex. We hoped that there would not be any misunderstandings in building a fictional wooden tower by recreating a wooden tower described in history books.

However, during the designing of the fictional 2-floor wooden building based on the characteristics of our country's pagodas and Chinese palaces, we would like to confirm that we used some features of Japanese pagodas. 

It's an undeniable mistake of the production team that we did not notice the details during the designing of the Great Korean Empire fictional space and we sincerely apologize for this.

The production team will immediately revise the title design and make sure that there will be no inconvenience for the audience from episode 3. The already broadcast episodes will be changed in re-broadcasting and VOD services.

We once again apologize and determine to try harder to create a good drama for TV viewers.

[OSEN = Reporter Ji Min Kyung] /mk3244@osen.co.kr 
[Photo] Hwa&Dam Pictures
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

• Like 9

Jeez so many people want it to flop and latest netizenbuzz article. These same knetizens do it with every kim eun sook drama and then later praise it.

I agree they should have taken care of that inaccuracy of using japan's Buddhist temple as palace, which was a sily mistake, considering the era and tensions between 2 countries back then, and apologized . But the reactions are too harsh.  Clear case of wanting it to fail. I hope it ends up undisputed blockbuster now to shut all of their mouths.

So many negative articles are getting released since it debuted. Someone's pr team working hard to put all those out. Looks like clear work of rivals.

• Like 1

Heavy is head that wears the clown , I am sad but they make this to every KES and LMH dramas but look at, every KES and LMH dramas became hit, just they make us sad, and biggest problem , Nate unfortunaltely , Naver closed comments and we have just full of hateful Nate, and NTZ always select hateful articles, never translate good ones, actually Nate sould close comments for celebrities's metal health, there are alwways harmful comments

• Like 3

2 hours ago, leeminhosny said:

Heavy is head that wears the clown , I am sad but they make this to every KES and LMH dramas but look at, every KES and LMH dramas became hit, just they make us sad, and biggest problem , Nate unfortunaltely , Naver closed comments and we have just full of hateful Nate, and NTZ always select hateful articles, never translate good ones, actually Nate sould close comments for celebrities's metal health, there are alwways harmful comments

I am kinda relieved that the article came out to late to do any sort of damage. It had already aired by that time. It didn't effect it's massive International success. The King: Eternal Monarch has become a megahit yesterday topping all Asian charts including parts of Africa, India, and South America. It has already reached it's milestone. It has generated to much buzz to make it successful

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

I am kinda relieved that the article came out to late to do any sort of damage. It had already aired by that time. It didn't effect it's massive International success. The King: Eternal Monarch has become a megahit yesterday topping all Asian charts including parts of Africa, India, and South America. It has ready reached it's milestone. We landed safely yesterday. 

From here on out there is really nothing that can stop the drama it has generated enough buzz 

And this is make to so many Hallyu actors, look at Crash landing , they said so many harmful words and talk about scandals and said "screenwriter isn't good any more" etc but again it became hit , and it surpassed 20% ratings

• Like 7

1 hour ago, leeminhosny said:

And this is make to so many Hallyu actors, look at Crash landing , they said so many harmful words and talk about scandals and said "screenwriter isn't good any more" etc but again it became hit , and it surpassed 20% ratings

They were more harsher on Itaewon Class as it has more buzz than Crash landing. I liked that drama.. They tend to catch fire quickly following whatever everyone is saying. I lowkey like these netizen riots they are hilarious sometimes they don't make sense especially when there is scandal articles but nonetheless hilarious. They cracked me up on many occasions reading their comments there is alot of humour in it but honestly they dont serve any purpose as they clearly are not consumers of any content just regular Joes who arrive there with their cop of cafe online for a good ol' conversation. It has become a social place and place for humoristic gathering. The whole point is the social gathering thats why they descend on these articles and the comedic comments. They serve with no objective opinion or constructive criticism nor do they serve any purpose if you wanna laugh and have fun you go there thats the only thing they serve. Closing Nate is the only good outcome like Naver

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

They were more harsher on Itaewon Class as it has more buzz than Crash landing. I liked that drama.  Seems like The King: Eternal Monarch has been added to the hitlist. They tend to catch fire quickly following whatever everyone is saying. I lowkey like these netizen riots they are hilarious sometimes they don't make sense but especially when there is scandal articles  

Eveytime I say popular Heirs line "“The one who wants to wear the crown, must bear its weight” that is right

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, yuiy78 said:

Many people commented that his lines is somehow romantic but so chessy.

For me, not at all.

His lines is so well delivered under serious tone and manner. Manner and tone of the king. And it also feels so sincere. I really felt it when I watched the show yesterday. 

From his last drama (LOBTS) to this show, I think he already developed his acting skill to the next level. Kudos to this man. 

ps. 

I love LOBTS, and his acting here was so on point. Love it. 

Thank you for speaking my mind. It is sincere. And while I can stand on JTE’s side and think he’s out of his mind, as a viewer, I know the weight of his words. She is someone he thinks he owes his life to and he’d been searching for her all his life. 

4 hours ago, bitofmadness said:

I don't know if it's just me but I feel like there are quite a number of references to the concept of God and Lee Rim sees himself as God. It's interesting to note that at the beginning of ep 1, he proclaims that "God did not create humans, weak humans created God." Throughout episode 1-2, we see him giving out judgement when he faces Jihoon's mum, "answering the prayers" of the wheelchair bound kid's mum, his desire to rewrite his own history...I guess the fact that he doesn't age while traveling between worlds adds to his superiority complex...

Thank you for pointing this out. Yes, he is trying to act as God. Let’s also recall the beginning of episode 1 when LL broke in to take the flute, particularly these lines that were exchanged:

LG’s father: “Do you not fear the punishment of the skies?”

LL: “The punishment of the skies? I plan to be the very being who gives punishment from the skies.” 

He also killed LG’s father with the four tiger sword which has the engraving, “The sky and the ground help the earth balance. Defeat the bad and make things just.”

This crazy psychopath thinks what he’s doing is good. :o

————————————————

I wonder how they’re able to film with that many people around. If I had the chance to witness him riding Maximus, I think I might just faint. Why does he own “the king” role so flawlessly? He fits the part in every way! 

• Like 13

4 funny things happened in #TheKingEternalMonarch ep 2

-leegon can't sit on the floor inside the jail so he’s asking for a cushion:lol:

-leegon didn't have money to buy a milk tea
-leegon scared everytime taeul tie up her hair
-leegon sold all his diamonds button
-----------

the king: eternal monarch's cinematography is really something

6be736d0a6ab485888d48128848637104450a22f.gifv
5c522251e5721b606e86225eca375cdb5ba2a4e5.gifv

Spoiler

067c4728beedbe2320997cd8df3657a82ab31834.gifv

4fde504e0bb2d3d8f65756d6df476bb85717d488.gifv

letsflytoasiarenata  The King: Eternal Monarch + cinematography

• Like 12