[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

2 hours ago, mrsj3n said:

Think should be Lee Lim.

But I'm sticking to Lee Rim cause it's stuck on my head now. Lol :phew:

@mychoiyoung

That is one mystery we hope that it will be revealed soon.

However for a well kept woman, she can't even wind down the window to smoke or command the driver to let her smoke.. I'm thinking she is a well kept prisoner by her heartless "admirer".

Btw, not sure about you guys... but I thought the late king (LG's dad) and LR has such an uncanny resemblance of each other!

Totally in awe of that!

I initially thought LH is LR and vice-versa during initial press release. Then saw that casting for this show is Genius. Baby LG and Adult LG have very similar expressions which I love. and LR LH and LG look quite similar in terms of makeup. (Had LMH maintained his earlier Chisled looked, it would not have matched that much, he has some fat now which makes it look more legible, I love that :D)

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, kboramint said:

Wait... This is Jo Yong's computer. Could that mean that  Yong is the time traveller that will save young LG NOT LG himself??    

Hi...I'm new here. I have been an avid reader of the forum but to a point of reading only...as i'm not very good in writing stuff. Anyhow...this drama really put a temporary stop on my usual brain activities...it really captivates me. I notice that

1. Minute 40 of epi 9..the camera was zooming Eun Sok's shoes...it was very familiar to one of the pair of shoes worn during the night Lee Gon was saved. 

2. I dont think Yeong will turn coats...he was thinking of Eun Sop in MOC depicting that he hopes Eun Sop is all right. 

3. I hope Jang mi is one of the good person as it makes me anxious when camera was zooming on him a few times without a reason...it was as though trying to prepare ourselves of something about him.

4. I think Lee Rim's henchman in Korea will turned against him. He did say that human can change and basically cannot be trusted . I also think that he is jealouse of his doppleganger. The slap by Lee Rim will do something on his alliance to Lee Rim

4. The boy deity only hangs around Luna and JTE...i wonder why.

The kind of romances depicting by Lee Gon and JTE is so matured and soothing for the heart . JTE having a king loving her and wants her to be with him does not swayed by wealth when compared to her sense of responsbility towards her father, friends and her work as a detective.

• Like 13

Ok this is crazy. I came here after 6 days or so and I have to go through 80+ pgs . I stopped trying to go through all of them after  15 pgs or so:sweatingbullets:

So pardon me if these questions or thoughts are repeated.

Yesterday's episode felt long :huh: I think the main point is the pacing of the drama. I want more speed :P

Ok the king finally realised why Lee lim didn't age thanks to Tae eul's curiosity regarding his age.

We are almost right about yoyo boy being related to God/fate

Again can they put timeline as in date/year in the captions because it has time travel aspect in it. ( I was wondering what if someone sees this series in 2022 after may and would think that video is from the past:joy:)

So now in the series they are in 2020 right? And at the start of the first episode TE+ SJ were questioning Lee lim in 2020 Jan?

And whatever we are watching now is major flashback leading to the questioning day. 

Does that mean may 27 2022 is the fate deciding day of JTE.?

Does that mean there are 2 more years left in her current life timeline? Will she get married to Lee gon in these 2 yrs:blush:

Or it may be like in Goblin every 10 yrs she in danger?! :sweatingbullets:

When that yoyo boy looked into that security camera I was legit taken back. That scene was shot well.

And how come that bookstore is not registered?! It is not exactly secret if uncle prince can visit it.

I didn't exactly like that he kept flute secret from her. Regarding that childhood promise to lady noh to me it  seemed that the young king was just reminding her gently that this is a secret you should not share with anyone and not that he can't do that.

Although I don't think withholding that info from Tae eul will lead to any serious problem. 

I was hoping that he would ask TE about SJ parents since he guessed it that Lee lim must have  swapped him bcoz of his parents.

Is he not worried about that missing ID anymore?

I don't know whether I said this aloud but sometimes they show LTE couple not discussing obvious things regarding the case/ Lee lim plans which makes me think they are slow and as a result episode is slow. Weren't they supposed to work as a team?!

Did we see PM koo's ex-husband/ his doppelganger in previous episodes?

• Like 7

I read somewhere on twitter that there is going to be a special episode? Don't remember when... Does anyone know what that's about? Is it a re-cap episode? Or behind-the-scenes stuff? Will there be deleted scenes or anything like that? :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ms_inquiry said:

I read somewhere on twitter that there is going to be a special episode? Don't remember when... Does anyone know what that's about? Is it a re-cap episode? Or behind-the-scenes stuff? Will there be deleted scenes or anything like that? :)

As far as I remember it is on Sunday (KST) As for the time and the rest of questions, someone help to fill in.  Tq

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, 1ouise said:

The freaky part is that the kid looked through the screen to LG.  :scream:

I said "kid" because I thought this looked like a girl. 

434d64a7f4274a5a93c09e345e7ac674ce13d792

AsianWiki confirmed that the role is played by a girl.

http://asianwiki.com/Kim_Bo-Min_(2010)

What do you think of the hands?  Too old for a kid?

f5bed00ae86bc258804226556e3b27ccf59e0493

Hmmm ... who could it be ... ???  <_<

• Like 9

1 hour ago, kaqueski said:

The blatant PPL in this drama is maybe its effort for comedic relief??? 

It's soooo obvious that it is funny. The cringey lines - such as products that the king uses, etc... Hahaha, anyone find it funny rather than annoying? 

:lol: yah that make me ask if the PD is really a professional one , come on , they are so obvious , and too mush , I wanna ask why ? And this make me more confused than drama hhhhh why they are so many pub in this drama if no one watch as they said why so many PPL ??? I read that a new one sponsored the king recently , my god ??? If is a Korean don't want watch this drama why they investigated in ???mystery 

• LOL 1

They are so needy and desperate for each other it’s unreal!

Lee Gon basically steals his girlfriend’s clothes and accessories and wears them when he misses her so much he can’t bear it or feels sad, gaining strength and comfort from them.

9229d418bdb6e4120e3ee317f7fe2af8101533e4

Spoiler

d5c765fce3399499a8aa2dc3641e7602832685705946595fc6c50f700fcf90a2e56f6e0c5277b636

Meanwhile in another universe, Tae Eul is using blackmail to move into his temporary home and moons over a banknote with his face on it (seriously, this is one of those things that can happen only in a kdrama) and and her souvenir photo in royal robe. They are really two peas in the same pot because LG is watching a CCTV footage of her since they never got to take a picture together. They have it bad!

7a76ef7b6e6172fdbdf3a85d8038743e3b468d1350ebc1827dbf29dcfd7f28e222ba9bb8cdb05b77

Spoiler

2641644f9384fe110bb91aa2f8403c7cc995cdc0

• Like 11
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

7 hours ago, Umjicheok said:

4. I was thinking about face mask murder case and there is more to it than roommate killing her. Why? Bcoz when they show another murder case of chaebol son they show that Lee Lim's assistant first gives the fatal wound then drops that knife towards doppelganger indicating that he should complete the process. Why would they show that to us? When police were investigating face mask girl they said the first wound itself was fatal then there was second wound. Why did they make it a point to tell us?!:sweatingbullets: may be I am thinking too much.

I agree.  There is more to this.  Everything about it is fishy.  Is it really a botched switch?  Maybe I'm thinking too much, cuz I keep trying to turn face mask girl into the prime minister's double--even though they don't look the same.  :o

Spoiler

27ce84966ccc91084a6ea000d2bd2936887abc54

9720035c62e04a6f67210104b8e6839853a58456

60d3327e9ac8b4abc81c63d62a276cbc6dd610bf

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

51 minutes ago, 1ouise said:

said "kid" because I thought this looked like a girl.  Hmmm ... who could it be ... ??

If it helps  ... the little child played baby Cha Young in Chocolate. I couldnt recognize her at first but literally did a screen grab check test :D

• Like 1

My Review of Episode 9

As mentioned in the previous episode, Tae Eul tags along Lee Gon to Song Jeong Hye's (mother of Lee Gon's doppelganger) address. They end up in the middle of nowehere, which leads him to think that Jeon Hye is with Lee Rim. Nevertheless, he enjoyed the road trip with Tae Eul.  :D

Spoiler

kccLvlZ.gif

We see from Shin Jae's flashback that his mother did leave him on the street. Another flashback shows us that he was approached by Lee Rim, who offered to find his mom for him. It's odd that young Shin Jae was wearing different jackets in the two scenes. It's also odd that only days after Lee Rim killed his brother in the palace, "wanted" traitor him would walk around in public. I wonder how long he has been planning this treason, including his elaborate plan after such, especially the switching of people between worlds. The possibility of him time traveling is also something to ponder on.

Spoiler

o6ZHT8i.gif

bNp5Fpf.gif

So Lee Gon notices another time stop, which leads him to think that Lee Rim just crossed to Korea. He then waits (all day?!) for that phone call on the 2G phone.

Spoiler

rlRVD03.gif

Upon arriving in Korea, Lee Rim adjusts his watch forward. This makes sense, as a few minutes spent on crossing the world in between would mean that hours have already passed in the other world.

Spoiler

oYt5XRG.gif

"A sage is moved to defeat the evil of the mountains and streams. Wield it with deep thoughts and make things right." It's interesting that these are the first words of Lee Gon to Lee Rim, 25 years after the night of treason. Those are the words engraved on the tiger sword, which signify the duties of a king. King Lee Gon, owner of the tiger sword, vows to make things right and defeat evil Lee Rim.

Spoiler

WOlU9xi.gif

Prime minister visits her ex-husband in prison, who was the source of the scandal photos she leaked. She talked about her greed and ambition taking her to where she is now. Interestingly, greed is exactly what Lee Rim uses to manipulate humans to his advantage. The dynamics between prime minister and Lee Rim is yet to be seen.

Spoiler

nHYTcT5.gif

MKgdwpy.gif

Lee Gon takes resto owner back to Corea and orders the guards to lock him up. I'm not surprised Eun Sup took that red balloon with him, but I'm sure the guards are more than surprised to see their captain holding one. :lol:

Spoiler

VSHZafx.gif

Lee Gon saying "Ye, Pyeha" is fierce! I'm glad his voice training for this drama has paid off! That deep voice enforces his authority as king.

Spoiler

cjHD760.gif

So Lee Sang Do's true identity has been found out by Lee Gon. "How could you when you don't even have the guts nor the caliber?" I wouldn't be surprised to see Le Sang Do tremble with such intense words. Well, he already did tremble with Lee Gon's death stare alone. Now, with Lee Min Ho's impactful delivery of lines and expressive eyes, we see his caliber in subtle yet powerful acting.

Spoiler

CZbEPQ5.gif

Burn! Prime minister may be bold in asking Lee Gon about him getting married, but she's no match with his blunt, "No, I already proposed to someone else." Awkward.

Spoiler

iX6q3VP.gif

Lee Gon goes over the cctv footage on Tae Eul. Notice the "2019-11-12" date stamp, which is a day after they crossed worlds to Corea.

Spoiler

km4g6Iu.gif

She, on the other hand, reminisces about their conversation on the seeds she bought in Corea. She later asks him, "And you're still saying that it's your first time dating?" He replies, "Of course, that statement is never going to change until the next life." Uhm, next life? Like next time loop? How many (first) times have you dated her?

4V8bvqb.gif

Lee Gon goes over the other cctv videos and sees one with Tae Eul walking past the yoyo boy. It sends him the creeps when the boy stares right at him through the screen and he notices the future date stamp, "2022-05-27", and that Tae Eul is wearing a different set of clothes compared to the other videos. Interestingly, May 27 is also Tae Eul's birthday.

Spoiler

aE08xGF.gif

fYDZv2l.png

We've been theorizing yoyo boy as fate. When lightning struck in the boy's time and space, and that lightning transcended over to Lee Gon's, which activated the marks on his shoulder, could it be that fate is calling on Lee Gon? I did mention about a theory on lightning calling on Lee Gon to fulfill his duties as the "sage that is moved to defeat the evil of the mountains and streams," as engraved in the king's four tiger sword.

Somehow, I feel there is more to Lee Rim's line, "Kang Shin Jae, the wrong move I made. And Jung Tae Eul, the move I didn't make." I guess it will make sense when the deal with Shin Jae's switch and Luna are finally revealed.    

Spoiler

IDGycka.gif

Lee Gon and Prince Buyeong's talk about fate has lead me into thinking that Lee Gon may have realized that it is his fate to set things right through the four tiger sword - to fix the imbalance Lee Rim has caused in opening the door to the other world. And to fix it, it means he has to close that door. "I've found a symbol, but I'm having trouble with it because the solution isn't good." The solution is to close the door, but that means he and Tae Eul would have to part ways and live on their respective worlds. But if it is his fate to set things right, could fate also lead him back to Tae Eul? Hopefully there exists a beautiful solution for this rather complicated problem.

Ct4Jhoq.gif

Time stopped yet again, and Lee Gon figures out that Lee Rim is back in Corea. It's the new year's celebration, and Lee Gon must have thought that Lee Rim would be there to watch him. Lee Gon initially ordered for a search for a 70-year old man, but with the help of Tae Eul's words and the cctv videos, he realized that Lee Rim has not aged a bit since the night of treason. He roars, "Traitor Lee Rim!" as he sees him in the crowd. 

This is such a shining moment for Lee Min Ho. When critics describe his acting as king as boring, in this episode, he did show them who's king - King of subtle yet powerful acting. Just hearing that deep roaring voice and seeing that intense, deadly stare is more than enough to convince anyone that Lee Min Ho is not called Hallyu King for nothing.

Spoiler

ArRJ5K2.gif

plQM0Cu.gif

• Like 6
  • Love 7
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 2