[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

On 4/29/2020 at 9:40 AM, chewii said:

Also, a certain theory defies parallelism (where there exist no point of intersection) given we are in space curve based on Einstein's theory, when two parallel objects travel on non opposite direction they will meet at a certain point (geometry of space, this was mentioned in Painter of the Wind ) thus explains how Eung sup and Young had an intertwined events (hot/cold). It is arguably possible that at a certain point two or more identical objects could transverse events while moving at an absolute time. 

You mentioned Painter of the Wind?  Are you referring to the 2008 Korean Drama with that title or something else?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I hope all these references calling KTE Princess Diana is a foretelling that she could make a good Queen for LG, her actual humanity for the common people unlike PM, and not the fact that Princess Diana died... 

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, 1ouise said:

There is so much to unpack in each episode.  If you are sleeping or fast-forwarding, don't complain later that it doesn't make sense.

SJ's bully:

LG's comrade:

Uho..wasn't this bully the one Jangmi Arrested in episode 2? Why does he have so many scenes...he is one of King's men and was in the rowing scene as well....:blink:

3 hours ago, simplebeauty08 said:

I do not think there is a time gap at all. I think LG just did not go back to RoK right away. JTE was able to go back home right after LG send her off right? 

Yes She was...but I think if time stops in the Portal or moves differently do they like Leave ROK at 8 pm and reach KOC same day at 9 pm? Or there was a mention of time change I think....I am leaving this question...haf to wait for next week to know more clearly.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, 1ouise said:

Your idea is interesting.  When LR comes to assassinate the king he is already covered in blood.  (It could be because he just killed the queen.)  I wondered why he said "still," like this isn't his first time doing this.  (It could be nothing.)  He's had half the flute, but keeps trying to get the whole thing.  TE does have a "Back to the Future" sticker on her phone.  ;)

It’s just my theory after watching tonight’s episode. :blush:  Thank you for noticing it. 

What if Lee Gon, EunSup, TaeEul, the milktea shop owner and her doppelgänger and shin jae and his doppelgänger and the prime minister will assemble a team to destroy the Evil uncle Lee rim? Oh I can’t wait for next week’s episode! :unsure:

• Like 11

Too many posts to read. One theory I had to put out there:

I think in the preview: when LG says kill him, it is an order... he means his own doppleganger (because he doesn't know that the little child was killed!)

he has come to the realization that JTA has a doppleganger and LR had one, so what if he has one too.

Too wild a theory, I guess. I am excited for episode 7.

I wonder if the id disappeared or is actually stolen? Does evil uncle know who the saviour of the little king was? Why is he zeroing in on Hyung-nim? He doesnt know that JTE and LG have met, yet. And ohhh,  ES doesn't see his... missed opportunity. Doctor uncle will die in episode 7. Maybe JTE goes to inspect that swap at the murder scene.

War or whatever that was with Japan: politically/diplomatically incorrect. Patriotic aspirations of Korea are well reflected though. A blatant attempt at appeasing the Korean masses.  And the photograph of LG in a uniform was around for sometime so this was a part of the script for sometime and not a new aspect.

• Like 10
  • Insightful 2

13 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

Now let’s talk about the mystery behind the missing ID. I assumed it was going to happen. When the present catches up to the future, the two should mesh and become one. Technically, Lee Gon’s copy should have disappeared. Do you think he is the thief? I thought it was him but why would he hide it from head court lady noh? I don’t believe there’s a thief involved. It’s a matter of magic. That can only mean that this is not a story overlapping one that’s already happened. Future LG must have turned back time, not just simply traveled back in time. That means the world future LG was living in did not continue on. It’s as though it ceased to exist when he turned back time.

I'm interested to see how this plays out.  As I remember, the ID that LG kept no longer had the lanyard attached.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 6

3 minutes ago, 1ouise said:

I'm interested to see how this plays out.  As I remember, the ID that LG kept no longer had the lanyard attached.

You always have the sharpest eyes! The one he handed to JTE in today’s episode had the lanyard so... did he steal hers because his went missing? Things are getting more and more interesting!

• Like 9

had so many questions after ep6

how about Shin Jae, if Lee Rim next target is him that means Shin Jae's Corea version must be very close to the King's surroundings

but we didnt see him yet

If not, can Shin Jae be much more important role who holds some mystery/secret of that event back in 1994? 

is the nightmare he often dream is that even in the past or the future that gonna happen soon? 

and does Lee Rim already knows every single person that close to Lee Gon is related to the coffee owner? Especially the most important person - Jung Tae Eul. 
honestly if Lee Rim knows about Tae Eul, he will focus on her only thats the most efficient way to hurt Lee Gon like hell

The Id card that was lost in the palace, more than finding the culprit I am more curious to know HOW it can be used? Will it be used as fake Id to copy Tae Eul (ft Luna?)  or its the one will be in 1994 scene? 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Mingignim said:

I think today’s episode (ep6) is not slow at all, comparing to ep5 HAHA. At least they start to be aware & alerted about the upcoming threat now and they’re catching up with LR who is soooooo close to JTE. Too close. I can feel the chill when ES meet LR in JTE home. Omg. That frighten me a lot. Overall, I’m quite impressed with this week (even I didn’t like ep5 much due to its lack of story progress). It’s cute& heart warming & thrilling. The real typhoon is gonna come now. Be prepared.:glasses:

Let me emphasis what you said right there! He was so close to JTE! I got frightened at the end because I thought her eyes met LL. Surely she’s done research on him in Corea so she’ll know him when she sees him. Thank goodness it was LG. 

And let me just emphasis that again! He was so close to JTE! Meaning, HE WAS SO CLOSE TO LG! They missed each other by a few days? It can turn to hours. Minutes. Seconds. He said he likes it there and will visit more frequently. He’s bound to cross path with LG there one day. 

Also, I can’t decide what to call evil uncle. Is it Lee Rim or Lee Lim? I was going with Lee Rim until Netflix came out and decided to call him Lee Lim. Lol.

2 hours ago, superspace said:

Am I the only one who is crying watching today episode? :tears:

The more clear and bigger the feeling between LG & JTE, the more complicated for each other, bcs they are from different worlds.

I hold my breath when JTE said to PM that she is just a traveler and will leave soon

I feel pain when JTE ask her ID & Lee Gon said He will not let her go. And when JTE said that she can’t beat the other person bcs that person is from LG’s world. But Lee Gon said to JTE beat that person (the most important person to LG)

I hold my tears when LG-JTE need to said goodbye to each other. Lee Gon said “Will you wait for me” and JTE nods her head and said “I will see you again, Lee Gon”

And finally, I cry for their last scene. Lee Gon is there. JTE runs and hugs him. And Lee Gon realizes that He can be danger to JTE (JTE finally has the same feeling for him). At first, Lee Gon thought it is just fine for him to miss her, go to she her and leave her. But now, all of that will effect JTE too. Because love is beautiful but many times is hurt too. :wub:

And the waiting is starting again. Friday, why are you so far away? 

I think you summarized how we all felt wonderfully! 

Oh it hurts to realize he lured her right into a trap. It must pain him. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 3
  • Love 1

There were so many hints from past episodes that is now gradually becoming more apparent and dots are beginning to connect. 

0, as in zero, LG's favorite number, which is beginning and end and infinite from mathematics view point. JTE is LG's 0. His journey started with her having hold of her ID card and will end with her in some way that we don't know yet. But since 0 is also infinite, the end will just be another beginning. Kind of like keep going through same time frame with same people  but with different outcome depending on actions taken or not taken. The critical date or catalyst of series of events is 11/11/2019.

My thinking is that LG saved his young self and dropped JTE's ID to himself as reminder to find the path back to beginning to resolve events that include his evil uncle and his fate with JTE. 

In ep1, JTE was interrogating evil uncle but did not appear to know him as LG's uncle from different universe. And yet, from ep 5 and 6, we know that she learned about LR from online search and LG's telling of that tragic event. So when did this interrogation take place? This leads me to think, maybe the interrogation took place in different round of YG and YTE inter-fated looping. Just a though. 

This drama has so much potential. Loving it. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 4

Just wanted to get some stuff confirmed/ straightened out so I can concentrate on the characters.

World travel:

- there is a world exchange link where time is suspended.

- each entry into S Korea leaves a larger illuminated scars extending from shoulder onto face at least for Lee Gon and Lim.

- there must be a storm in the world they leave from

- can someone translate that * beep beep beep * stick name into English?

- there is no rule at present how time travel can occur

Plot 1:

- Lee Lim wants to: actually what does he want to do? Overthrow the King or be the King? 

- is he legitimate? Stepbrother implies he is from the mother's first marriage therefore even if legitimate not from the King's issue so can't inherit anyway

- bringing the doppelgangers from Korea to Corea to strengthen his power base

- has his loyal cadre of soldiers in both Korea and Corea

- why is he interested in JTE? And Sung Jae

Plot 2:

- the divorced civilian Prime Minister wants the King

- she is ruthless

- she has a spy in the palace

Plot 3:  the gambler murder I can't even remember who it is Lee Sang Do or Kim Bok Man

- had a voicemail recording of a Corea news broadcast

- his wife might have murdered him but is missing

- did a Corean or Korean murder him? * snigger * pun intended

Romance plot point

- common denominator? Has the writer sorted out the common denominator? Is it physical ie the wheelchair bound polio civilian. Or economic ie the pregnant poor female. 

- because Luna and JTE are opposites criminal vs enforcer

Secondary characters

- Jo Yeong and Eun Seup

- Seung Ah and Na Ri or whatever their names.

Missing doppelgangers in Corea and Korea: 

- Lee Gon

- Shin Jae

So oy, isn't this a bit much for a drama viewer to follow? How I am going to work on the:

- mutual confession ep 7-8 

- then somewhere in ep 10- 12 crisis and break up

- break up ep 13-15

- can't even factor time jump as those 2 are going weeks without seeing each other already for episode 16.

- plus sort out the ending for Luna

Who the heck is the 2nd male lead? Shin Jae?

Then the secondary romance has to be Jo Yeong and the Press office lady right? Not the Korean bubble tea cafe owner right?

Ok. Have I got it now? Got woken up with a flurry of MMS at past 2am so wasn't impressed by my friends. Either way it was 0200hrs KST and 1000 PST and episode 6 was up when I started episode 6. Just putting it out there once and for all that ridiculous time discussion.

I am used to reading multiple book series with multiple side plots. And also war series with multiple action fronts. I am watching a romance drama right? That is because there is way too many things distracting the OTP from their romancing. How in the world am I going to get the OTP dating or second OTP dating with all this nonsense?

This reminds me of all the Gordon Ramsey's kitchen shows where he tells a restaurant owners that their menu has no theme. And there are too many items on the menu and to pare down to some specialities.

Addit- oh yes I did enjoy episode 6. All 20 min of it. That was the part that slowed me down as I repeated the scenes. The rest must not have been riveting as I just watched it through once. The palm writing scene made me snigger with the aghast looks from Secretary No. Plus the unimpressed/ disbelief from Jo Yeong. And I laughed when he discovered Luna is a criminal. Lol. He must be about to tear his hair out trying to decide how Lee Gon ended up with a unregistered citizen from Korea who looks like a Corean criminal.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 2

The KISS in ep5 was well written and executed by both lead actors. It conveyed so much of both giver and receiver's state of mind. The giver of this kiss used it to answer receiver's question or rather challenge "JTE: this is your first date". Instead if answering it verbally,  the king slowly leaned in and kissed her with all tenderness. As viewer, I felt the longing of wanting to meet and know her for years, , respect he has for her as person who is brave, the love he feels for her as the fated one. The kiss is so pure. 

The receiver JTE, having just had her world turned upside down, was still thinking what the hack just happened. Her head was analyzing but her heart was losing it. 

I applaud both actors for not over-acting this scene for dramatic effect. It should not be a passionate kiss but a tender revelation from one longing heart to another.

• Like 11
  • Love 10

On 5/3/2020 at 2:54 AM, Heretorant said:

Also, I can’t decide what to call evil uncle. Is it Lee Rim or Lee Lim? I was going with Lee Rim until Netflix came out and decided to call him Lee Lim. Lol.

This is because of this letter --> ㄹ  (it is similar to "l" and "r" depending on its position) 

I guess i'm used to use LR too to identify him. Somehow the way one describe him here in this thread we understand who we are referring to.

p.s Will read other posts later.... everyone's observation is great... it seems i need to rewatch again (more than twice)

• Like 7

9 hours ago, leeminhosny said:

People are so quick to criticize this drama. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it just previous episode were the comments were negative, now they took a complete 180 turn. I loved today's episode and fell in love even more with Kim Go Eun's acting at the end. Her tearful eyes and relieve and happy expression when she saw him standing there waiting for her. That moment when she just ran towards him and hugged him tight and the ost, so beautiful :love: I can't wait for the scene between Eun Seob and Jo Young, it is going to be so fun to watch :lol:

Has the latest ost been released? The one at the end that sings "please don't cry", it is sounds so beautiful.

• Like 8
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 2

11 minutes ago, Kara N said:

People are so quick to criticize this drama. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it just previous episode were the comments were negative, now they took a complete 180 turn. I loved today's episode and fell in love even more with Kim Go Eun's acting at the end. Her tearful eyes and relieve and happy expression when she saw him standing there waiting for her. That moment when she just ran towards him and hugged him tight and the ost, so beautiful :love: I can't wait for the scene between Eun Seob and Jo Young, it is going to be so fun to watch :lol:

I said earlier, NTZB always translates Nate's hate comments and doesn't translate positive ,not just for this drama about every actor, actress any case so I don't care Nate comments because Nate full of haters, Naver 70% market share and thus better represents general Korean sentiment on topics presented.Generally Naver is more positive about everything.Nate doesn't represent general Korean.

3 minutes ago, Kara N said:

Has the latest ost been released? The one at the end that sings "please don't cry", it is sounds so beautiful.

Tomorrow will be released

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1