[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

I am halfway through the episode. Loved  The scene when he is about to go to war and the emotional connection and background music. Coming from an army family myself, when my father went to  war in 1999, i was a kid but the emotional moment is still there in mind.

Partner of the soldier goes through so many emotions at that moment . At that moment you know your partner is going to protect the country, but at the same time the tension in heart is something else. It was very relatable scene and i liked how director introduced the scene, with only few dialogues like will you wait for me? Because soldier and their partners know, there is no sure thing that you will return after the war.

Plus the lost id card. I think it isn't stolen but the time loop completes and it disappeared because one can exist at the time?

Also liked king has all authority not others!

• Like 5
  • Love 3

“Am I a joke to you.” Jo Young, probably.

c45a6c82936b03287d315ccd507f9028529ac763

Someone unbreak his heart! No one will ever convince me that Young isn’t hurt and jealous. 

034efb0683ce58656957a59ae6e2c933d923e153

Seriously, once this is all over Young is going to need to undergo therapy because all the shocks, emotional turmoil and passive agression in such a short span of time can’t be healthy. That is, if he survives because knowing the writer she will off him to make Lee Gon’s already tragic life even more miserable because she loves tormenting her male leads like no one else. I’m scared shitless because I’m getting King2Hearts bromance feels with Young and Gon and we all know how that drama went. I’m still not over the trauma and it has been 8 years already.

67280b07cf786352180709ca7e5e3b6ef597c89e

Spoiler

b88330d405d95fc82fca40fd69c71843a84359e2b37c3efbab79ff366d37c9fc072f1a09b439b04b195659f72fe4f2c82e3e47f6f459c2bed0a6f319

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Keikokoko said:

There were so many hints from past episodes that is now gradually becoming more apparent and dots are beginning to connect. 

0, as in zero, LG's favorite number, which is beginning and end and infinite from mathematics view point. JTE is LG's 0. His journey started with her having hold of her ID card and will end with her in some way that we don't know yet. But since 0 is also infinite, the end will just be another beginning. Kind of like keep going through same time frame with same people  but with different outcome depending on actions taken or not taken. The critical date or catalyst of series of events is 11/11/2019.

My thinking is that LG saved his young self and dropped JTE's ID to himself as reminder to find the path back to beginning to resolve events that include his evil uncle and his fate with JTE. 

In ep1, JTE was interrogating evil uncle but did not appear to know him as LG's uncle from different universe. And yet, from ep 5 and 6, we know that she learned about LR from online search and LG's telling of that tragic event. So when did this interrogation take place? This leads me to think, maybe the interrogation took place in different round of YG and YTE inter-fated looping. Just a though. 

This drama has so much potential. Loving it. 

@Keikokoko I was thinking the same thing about LG as you!! I honestly think he probably traveled back in time to save his future self and left the ID to ensure that his future self finds 

So I went and rewatched ep 1 and I think its set in 2020. Whats more interesting is this scene :

cb325Rx.jpg

I noticed how when TE is talking to Lee Rim, her ID tag is the one that was re-issued 11/11/2019. So I guess that scene is in the future (since its 2020 and the events we are currently seeing is months beforehand)? Does that mean she's already aware during this scene of who he is? I don't know, but I just thought maybe I should put this out there. Or maybe someone else had already pointed this out earlier. :joy:

Other things that I found interesting is the yellow leaf tree and pink wheat (ferns or wheat grass or flowers) from the trailer:

tV3IGjh.png

Was this a result of the seeds that TE in ep.6 had planted in the in-between area between the two worlds?

• Like 8
  • Insightful 7

Seriously the best episode so far. Very well made and my complaints against pds is over now. The patience was the key. 

The chemistry, the  pain of waiting , the longing was off the charts!

Loved how she found out difference between northern souther regions of corea and north south korea and linked the dots!

The ship scenes were the best moment of the episode in my opinion. Lee min ho just commanding presence, that asks for applause! 

Loved the subtle forehead kiss and his dialogues to the point!

And ending was special . The tears gave it away but at the same time he realized he has involved her in his world and put her at risk. 

Only thing!

I am confused as we have seen same people's fingerprints don't match  but old prince said though  the corpse was born with sick body but his finger prints and blood type matched the evil uncle. That was confusing. How did korean's version matched with evil uncle ? Or we can assume Luna's records are not available in corea? That's why they couldn't match with the queen. Anyone can clear? Thanks in advance!

• Like 5
  • Insightful 3

4 hours ago, leeminhosny said:

I love war scene so much, I think so exciting , at least it is better than 5 minutes long dedektive's slipper zoom :lol:

That scene enabled me to witness the "trust that SJ and JTE have between them and how it really started.   I believe that this trust will play a very important part later during crucial moment.

@Ameera Ali  JangMi's a softie :kiss_wink: 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

The magical flower seeds JTE spread in the land between will definitely be significant later.

All signs are pointing to a sad but potentially happy ending. What does this mean? The storm will come before the rainbow. How many signs have we gotten so far? 

1) Kim So Wol’s poem. Death foreshadowed. But he’s not willing to accept it. We think Lee Gon is stuck in a time loop. Is it because he can’t accept JTE’s death so he keeps going back to try and change the outcome?

2) Lee Gon referring to himself as “I am,” indicating he is eternal. While this means he will live on as JTE dies, it can also mean he has the chance to keep redoing it until it is right. 

3) Lee Gon telling JTE that he will travel to the end of the world in between and tell her all about it. Is this foreshadowing? Will he really be stuck in this world and forced to explore its vastness?
4) The ginkgo tree. We know it’s significant just not how yet. Will JTE’s imaginary flower seeds sprout into this tree? The history of Ginkgo trees reveals it can be quite relevant to this story. It is the oldest surviving species of trees known to man and is a symbol of endurance, protection and longevity. 

“This tree is a sign that something good is going to happen in your life and you will live to enjoy its goodness in your life.“

Read more about it here:

https://treesymbolism.com/ginkgo-tree-symbolism-meaning.html

Anymore signs you can think of? 

2 hours ago, Deepakmahajan said:

I am confused as we have seen same people's fingerprints don't match  but old prince said though  the corpse was born with sick body but his finger prints and blood type matched the evil uncle. That was confusing. How did korean's version matched with evil uncle ? Or we can assume Luna's records are not available in corea? That's why they couldn't match with the queen. Anyone can clear? Thanks in advance!

But have we seen the same people’s fingerprints not match? They’ve never caught Luna so her fingerprints might not be registered. And young Lee Gon died. Did they register his fingerprints and DNA? Maybe not. I’m not an expert at forensics but I’m going to assume for the sake of this story to make sense lol.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 6
  • Thanks 3

@Heretorant @Deepakmahajan

If the subtitles are correct, Prince Uncle mentioned blood and fingerprint are a match.

There was no mention about DNA?

However he also noted on the difference of the body condition of the dead body.

LR (I'm gonna stick to calling evil step uncle LR) has a warrior body form but the dead body lookalike was born with some physical issues (forget the terms he used). 

And not to forget,  the young LG in Korea was supposed to be dead. If the police did not search for his identity through fingerprint or blood or DNA, there is no way they would know his parents right?

What is puzzling to me is there is no doppelganger of JTE's father or our girl is not searching properly on where he could have been since they don't have the same name.

@SweetButters You are right. The scene at episode 1 took place at year 2020.

Can't tell if JTE is already aware of LR when they locked him up but if I remembered correctly, the interrogation was gearing towards the murder of his own step brother. 

So who knows, this is a do-over and JTE and gang caught him just as he crossed over to Korea hence the bloodied suit just like when he first crossed over to Korea?

There's anything that bothered me.

The seed that JTE was holding was clearly shown as 相思花。 相思 actually meant yearning / lovesickness.

So why is the translation / subtitles showing it as "Imaginary flower"????

@briseis YES!!!! I love this secretary's facial expression in the plane! Lol

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, superspace said:

Am I the only one who is crying watching today episode? :tears:

The more clear and bigger the feeling between LG & JTE, the more complicated for each other, bcs they are from different worlds.

I hold my breath when JTE said to PM that she is just a traveler and will leave soon

I feel pain when JTE ask her ID & Lee Gon said He will not let her go. And when JTE said that she can’t beat the other person bcs that person is from LG’s world. But Lee Gon said to JTE beat that person (the most important person to LG)

I hold my tears when LG-JTE need to said goodbye to each other. Lee Gon said “Will you wait for me” and JTE nods her head and said “I will see you again, Lee Gon”

And finally, I cry for their last scene. Lee Gon is there. JTE runs and hugs him. And Lee Gon realizes that He can be danger to JTE (JTE finally has the same feeling for him). At first, Lee Gon thought it is just fine for him to miss her, go to she her and leave her. But now, all of that will effect JTE too. Because love is beautiful but many times is hurt too. :wub:

And the waiting is starting again. Friday, why are you so far away? 

The way you highlighted the phrases and sentences ... You sound so romantic :wub: I haven't come to that point yet ....but am ready for it, because I know I will.  That's how KES drama is.   Take care of your heart.... we still have many weeks to go.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, SweetButters said:

@Keikokoko 

Other things that I found interesting is the yellow leaf tree and pink wheat (ferns or wheat grass or flowers) from the trailer:

Was this a result of the seeds that TE in ep.6 had planted in the in-between area between 

YTE bought and planted seeds of Acacia Confusa (想思樹  is the the Chinese character written on the packet). Korean used Chinese characters in ancient time I think, like Japanese Kanji. The tree with yellow flowers is Acacia Confusa, which is what YTE planted in the space (dimension) between universes. In Taiwan or East Asian literature, this tree carries meaning of longing and thinking of love ones. The opening credit starts with this tree is quite foretelling. I just hope that we don't end up with LG trapped in this dimension with this tree longing and thinking of JTE eternally. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

episode 6 is really the bomb. im finally seeing touches of kim eun sook in the story. we're seeing more of jungtae eul and lee gon's blossoming romance and how the parallel worlds will change it. at long last, we're seeing a clear storyline,Its getting more and more interesting! I feel sorry for those who gave up watching this series after just 2 episodes. U are actually missing on a very well made drama. Love the story, it really makes you think! Can’t wait for Ep 7 after seeing the trailer!

------

In ep 1 when they met for the 1st time leegon is the one who hugged taeeul 1st because he finally found her, now in ep 6 taeeul is the one who hugged leegon 1st because she misses him ,this is what we called a relationship progress.

ac626f4153b6589e59882a4d88121d2656821cd9.gifv6bb19ad26aea3ea18636d9c11169684f562cc372.gifv

7601891f98a197ea31acde33e465ff03b7f58661.gifv

Lee Gon: Have you been doing well?

Tae-Eul: *nods*

Lee Gon: Have you been waiting for me?

Tae-Eul: *nods again before sprinting towards Lee Gon for an embrace*

Ooooo… da feels~~~

• Like 16
  • Love 6

13 hours ago, Sy Mon said:

what rating is this? nationwide or international or netflix? 

It's Nielsen Korea's TV viewership rating. The data is available thru their website.

Episode 6

Nationwide

PART 1 - 07.4 (1.515 Million Viewers)
PART 2 - 10.3 (2.136 Million Viewers)

Seoul

PART 1 - 07.9 (0.971 Million Viewers)
PART 2 - 10.5 (1.329 Million Viewers)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 8

nation wide 7.4 , 10.3

seoul 7.9, 10.5

Finaly double digit rating in long time. First half affected  from yesterday but second hallf picked up. Hopes are not lost yet. Please next week episode be like episode 6 and drama can bounce back! Now we have hopes. this episode has changed some trajectory!

story is set now. Now please have some murders, thrills, some cliffhangers, some edgy kidnapping of leads lol. And drama will have heirs trajectory!

I am happy with double digit in long time and we have still 10 episodes left. drama will pick up!

• Like 13
  • Love 2

On 5/1/2020 at 12:28 PM, Heretorant said:

Hmmmm... interesting. I didn’t feel like it was at first but quite a few of you do. I think it makes absolute sense. I’m just wondering when Gon found time to let go of a balloon there. If it is indeed the path between the worlds, then I’m going to say it was badly edited because it should have came before or there should have been some type of indication to show us that it was a flashback.

*edit* actually I rewatched it and it makes total sense now lol. 

Can you explain how it makes total sense now? I was wondering how they got there. Did not realize it was a flashback

• Like 4

7 hours ago, mrsj3n said:

@Heretorant @Deepakmahajan

If the subtitles are correct, Prince Uncle mentioned blood and fingerprint are a match.

There was no mention about DNA?

However he also noted on the difference of the body condition of the dead body.

LR (I'm gonna stick to calling evil step uncle LR) has a warrior body form but the dead body lookalike was born with some physical issues (forget the terms he used). 

And not to forget,  the young LG in Korea was supposed to be dead. If the police did not search for his identity through fingerprint or blood or DNA, there is no way they would know his parents right?

What is puzzling to me is there is no doppelganger of JTE's father or our girl is not searching properly on where he could have been since they don't have the same name.

@SweetButters You are right. The scene at episode 1 took place at year 2020.

Can't tell if JTE is already aware of LR when they locked him up but if I remembered correctly, the interrogation was gearing towards the murder of his own step brother. 

So who knows, this is a do-over and JTE and gang caught him just as he crossed over to Korea hence the bloodied suit just like when he first crossed over to Korea?

There's anything that bothered me.

The seed that JTE was holding was clearly shown as 相思花。 相思 actually meant yearning / lovesickness.

So why is the translation / subtitles showing it as "Imaginary flower"????

@briseis YES!!!! I love this secretary's facial expression in the plane! Lol

@mrsj3n Oh yea true !! I can totally see that theory of LR also used the stick to try and do over too!! 

7 hours ago, Keikokoko said:

YTE bought and planted seeds of Acacia Confusa (想思樹  is the the Chinese character written on the packet). Korean used Chinese characters in ancient time I think, like Japanese Kanji. The tree with yellow flowers is Acacia Confusa, which is what YTE planted in the space (dimension) between universes. In Taiwan or East Asian literature, this tree carries meaning of longing and thinking of love ones. The opening credit starts with this tree is quite foretelling. I just hope that we don't end up with LG trapped in this dimension with this tree longing and thinking of JTE eternally. 

Oh so that is what that tree is !!! Oh goodness I really hope the same !! Hopefully it won't be that LG gets trapped there :bawling:. I think the pink flowers or grass is "Mulhy Grass" maybe? I am not sure if that would hold any meaning, but it is still so beautiful ! Thank you for the info about the Acacia Confusa ! 

• Like 7