[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

5 hours ago, Heretorant said:

When Gon meets JTE again and she rushes to hug him, how I interpret this scene is that he suddenly realizes what he’s gotten her into. She misses him. Does she love him? It feels like she does. If he is in danger, the people closest to him are also in danger. The way she hugged and embraced him confirmed the relationship she has with him. It’s love. Imagine if Lee Lim found out JTE and Lee Gon were lovers. What would he do to JTE? Probably use her as a way to threaten Gon. 

But then arent the ones closest to him always in danger? The autopsy bit I got, but the jump from I am in danger to :

>exact dialogue<
Lady Noh was wrong. JTE is not a danger to me. I am a danger to JTE.

He loves 3 more people and so they are also always in danger because of their association. But then so what?

@

6 hours ago, 1ouise said:

On the PM's last visit, a picture of Dokdo Islands (the disputed territory) is seen in the upper left hand corner:

OMO... the kids are Eun Sub's sibblings in Korea! I hope LR doesn't kill these cute kids.

6 hours ago, cpt_falcon said:

Unfortunately I think that's exactly what happens.  I keep coming back to the symbolism around rabbits and the moon when it comes to JTE.  There's her doppelganger Luna ('moon' in Latin) who's dressed in the rabbit hoodie.  The references to the "white rabbit" (from "Alice in Wonderland").  In ep 6, JTE bringing up the "moons being the same" (in her world and LG's) and also specifically brought up the tale of the Moon Rabbits.   Due to the frequent references of rabbits and now the moon, I have a strong suspicion the tale of the Moon Rabbits may be important.  If I recall, that folktale, for the rabbit, is essentially one of self-sacrifice?  Though Buddha being so moved by the rabbit sacrificing itself, the rabbit was elevated to god of the moon, hence the rabbit(s) on the moon.

Thanks for this. I didnt know the folk tale.
Interesting Japan theory though I am doubtful, but what would I know. I keep thinking that Evil Uncle wants bigger things than just a nation would he really care about Corea-Japan politics? But then again: the fact that PM keeps discussing politics/economics/inter country relations, a good guess would be some political topic will become the center of the story at some point. Then LG attended some senior naval official's funeral+his rowing friend is the bully from Korea... so who knows.

However, if the story gets down to removing the King for just the Kingdom and Japan-Korea relations - and not for God-like reasons - i for one would be a bit disappointed. They are building analogy like devil escapes and King being synonymous to good spirits and then using that for Japan bashing... hmmm!! No say/ No se (both english and spanish for what I feel).

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 8

One article after another!!! :glasses::glasses:

'The King' Lee Min-ho, Crossing the Parallel World with '♥ Kim Go-eun' and Heartbeat Reunion [TV Hotspot]

Spoiler

20200503504947.jpg

[Sports World = Reporter Jung Ga-young] 'The King-Lord of Eternity' Lee Min-ho and Kim Eun-eun exploded the emotions of the reunion of Korea and South Korea.

The sixth episode of SBS Geumto drama 'The King-Lord of Eternity', aired on the 2nd, recorded 7.4% in the first part and 10.3% in the second part (Nielsen Korea, national standard). 

credit: http://www.sportsworldi.com/newsView/20200503504949

'The King' Kim Go-eun, Character Digestion Explosion ... Pioneering the 'The Queen' area

Spoiler

1588465367438831.jpg

[Reporter of Ex-Sports News Yeeun Kim] Goeun Kim exploded the character's digestibility.Kim Go-eun raised the immersion of the SBS gilt drama 'The King-The Lord of Eternity' (hereinafter referred to as 'The King').

In the 5th and 6th episode of 'The King', which was broadcast on the 1st and 2nd, the appearance that Kim Go-eun of Jeong Tae-eul stationed between Korea and the Korean Empire and two countries consolidated his position as an irreplaceable actor. It pioneered the area of 'The Queen' with a passion for making full use of the character's charm.

credit: http://www.xportsnews.com/?ac=article_view&entry_id=1265399

'The King' Lee Min-ho, Fatal Charisma of the Korean Empire's Lord [TV Hotspot]

Spoiler

20200503505114.jpg

Sports World = Reporter Jung Ga-young] 'The King: Lord of Eternity' Lee Min-ho gave a strong sense of immersion with a different look and charisma.

In the 6th episode of SBS Geumto drama 'The King: The Lord of Eternity', aired on the 2nd, Lee Gon (Lee Min-ho) 's charismatic act of defending the Korean Empire as a military ruler, and Lee Gon-tae who grows in fear as the feelings toward each other increase. Her heart aching love was drawn. Lee Min-ho, who conveyed the fresh and sweet excitement, expressed his determination to face fateful situations where everything was pre-determined, and increased the immersion in the future development with emotion changes from desperate emotions to decisiveness.

credit: http://www.sportsworldi.com/newsView/20200503505115

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Dramafreak said:

exact dialogue<
Lady Noh was wrong. JTE is not a danger to me. I am a danger to JTE.

He loves 3 more people and so they are also always in danger because of their association. But then so what?

Its because he just learned that his evil uncle is alive and is also crossing the other world.. Imagine what will happens if LR finds out that JTE is LG gf? He will definitely use or harm just to get back at LG . That is why it make sense  that LG said that he will put JTE into  danger.. LG is not alwys beside JTE side since he will also need to go back to his kingdom to do his duties. That alone is something alarming and may cause danger to JTE sicne LR is near JTE's friends. 

• Like 10

[TV Bookmark] 'The King' Lee Min-ho · Kim Go-eun, Sad Reunion… Highest viewing rate 11.9% 100889804.1.jpg

'The King' Lee Min-ho and Kim Go-eun succeeded in a pitiful reunion across Korea and Korea.

The 6th episode of SBS Geumto drama 'The King-Lord of Eternity', aired on the 2nd of Saturday, recorded 7.9% in the first part of the metropolitan area, 10.5% in the second part, and 5.8% in 2049 ratings based on Nielsen Korea. At the moment, the highest viewership rate was 11.9%, ranking first in all channels at the same time for six consecutive times.

credit: https://sports.donga.com/article/all/20200503/100889805/1

• Like 10

1 hour ago, 1ouise said:

Yes!  That battle scene wasn't just for showing off Commander Lee Gon.  I agree that it leads back to Lee Lim.  And I'm waiting to see what role the PM's mom (and the PM) plays in this.  Her shop seems to be a key place--acting as an information exchange at the least.

Oh, that'd be interesting.  A scenario like that would seem to point to some organization intending to overthrow the monarchy.  Perhaps establish a democracy a la Korea.  Meaning she may not necessarily be evil and may have good intentions (though the Corean way of life doesn't seem to be that imbalanced re: class divides and has an incredibly strong economy, but we haven't spent tons of time in any skid row areas either*), but goals that are potentially being exploited by some with shady agendas (LL who we know she has some kind of dealings with due to him forgetting that monumentally valuable umbrella of his in her fish shop)

On the PM's last visit, a picture of Dokdo Islands is shown in the upper left hand corner......Which is not there now, at the time of the battle

Hmmm, Coded messages? 

If you're right and I kind of hope you are because this would be an intriguing turn of events, this could put Syo-Ryeong in direct contention with her (no matter how perhaps well-intentioned) mother.  Does she side with her mother and her cause (which could claims to promise her more power than ever & could have been partly SR's mother's goals in this) or to her country & her principles (she's clearly a ruthless politician, but I do think we will discover she has some principles despite appearances).

*Could be another reason why JTE may be such an ideal Queen for LG.  She may have a pulse on not just the less fortunate in society and able to reach out to them, but understand how & why darker forces are capable of appealing to those who are disenfranchised (and have the capability of bringing people back from that darkness), but also dealing with them in a measured way and not use them for her own selfish advantage.  Not too brutal/ruthless, but not a pushover either.  Shin Jae basically described being a detective as someone who teeters that razor's edge between dark and light, but in his case specifically it seems strongly implied it's JTE who's kept him from succumbing to that darkness (his unrequited romantic love for her, but more how deeply he cares for her and her good opinion of him. Due to their early acquaintance and her saving him from the group of bullies, I do think he sees her as a hero / someone he aspires to be like).  If the parallel version of Shin Jae is absolutely wallowing in darkness, it could be JTE who's capable of reaching and reasoning with him.  JTE didn't seem to grow up totally poor or hungry, but she may have a better grasp of not just the common person, but pointedly that understanding of the razor edge between dark and light among the less gilded society and capable of keeping those in her influence on the light side.

Veering on a slight tangent, I can see where a contrast may be between JTE and Seo-Ryeong.  SR seemed to come from a poor background, but due to her experiences & methods of survival, has learned to deal with opponents in a ruthless way.  Though that's garnered her great power, it maybe came at the cost of her sense of compassion.  Like instead of using that understanding of others to benefit herself and the opponent (or those that they oppress) to benefit all, she just uses it to destroy all her opponents without mercy, regardless of collateral damage.  Considering the misogyny we see her facing, it's kind of hard to blame her ruthless methods and you don't feel much remorse for some she's gone after so far, but she's likely also employed those methods with decent people who committed no crime but stand in the way of her political aspirations.  She's not teetering that edge anymore, she's in that darkness and maybe doesn't entirely realize just how much she is, but I do think we'll see her come back from it. I don't ever see her getting LG, but I feel she'll end the story a more balanced person (depending on if she survives, part of me hopes she does because I could see a potential redemption story - without losing her agency - being a good one).

Edited by cpt_falcon
  • Like 14

56 minutes ago, simplebeauty08 said:

I am so amazed how both actors were able to portray the needed emotions through their eyes. Most especially KGE's. 

Have to chime in here to say that scene was absolutely exquisite.  You could definitely see the storm of emotions they were going through, but conveyed it like the characters were only barely holding on.  The way LMH played LG there he seemed subtly shaking (amazing body control, if so) and on the verge of tears!  With JTE breaking first and what a powerful moment that is considering how hard we saw JTE keeping those walls up in most of her interactions with LG.  Just absolutely exquisitely played by both actors.

• Like 12
  • Love 3

Someone said it Felt like she so fast liking him. But i think Well jung tae eul never hate lee gon,she just accused him hes kinda look like crazy men because of that kingdom and paralel universe talks. But after all talks gon reason not to leave korea,hes helping her and the curiousity of jung tae eul of this man makes her want to know more about lee gon. The turning point is when jung tae eul comes to correa. She didnt get mad when get kissed like that.she felt what gon feeling when they Visiting each other world”Loneliness”. Maybe liking is too rushed,she just missed him and thats why she hugged him .but theres proggres in their relationship.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, cpt_falcon said:

Unfortunately I think that's exactly what happens.  I keep coming back to the symbolism around rabbits and the moon when it comes to JTE.  There's her doppelganger Luna ('moon' in Latin) who's dressed in the rabbit hoodie.  The references to the "white rabbit" (from "Alice in Wonderland").  In ep 6, JTE bringing up the "moons being the same" (in her world and LG's) and also specifically brought up the tale of the Moon Rabbits.   Due to the frequent references of rabbits and now the moon, I have a strong suspicion the tale of the Moon Rabbits may be important.  If I recall, that folktale, for the rabbit, is essentially one of self-sacrifice?  Though Buddha being so moved by the rabbit sacrificing itself, the rabbit was elevated to god of the moon, hence the rabbit(s) on the moon.

In the case of LG if he is in the Buddha role from the folktale, it's LG's love for JTE - that stems from her bravery, heroism and (like the Moon Rabbit) selflessness no matter the odds and danger to herself - that compels him to never stop trying to find a way to bring her back / save her.  No matter how many branching timelines he creates.  Though I'd suspect it isn't just his love for her that motivates him (but I imagine that certainly would be there as well), but that there's also possibly some key to JTE and their dynamic together that's critical in stopping LL (LR?) and also possibly averting a major conflict with Japan*.  I think JTE actually dies in protecting/saving him (partly because she knows he's the only one that has the power to avert whatever apocalytpic disaster having half the magic flute and one of the few in existence able to use it, but also of course because she loves him too.  Saving him, she saves the man she loves, but also others she cares for).  That LG ultimately creates a timeline where the "rabbit" (JTE) not only lives, but is elevated to an immortal "moon god(dess)" (LG marries her and makes her his Queen and co-ruler of Corea?).

This thread is so long someone may have speculated it already (I apologize if that's the case for not crediting) and I'm basing this on nothing at the moment, but I'm calling it, Shin Jae's doppelganger in LG's world is in Japan and that he's high up in the government.  Possibly even the Prime Minister who, despite being Corean himself, has a chip on his shoulder re: Corea for some reason or another.  That the LG-version of SJ also has or develops an affection for either 'Luna' or JTE.  This platonic/filial bond that transcends time & space (one I imagine can only ever be friendship or sibling-like in the end due to LG/JTE seemingly The Couple of this drama) ultimately key in finally creating lasting peace between Corea and Japan.

*I suspect we were given that bombastic, intense battle scene in ep6 to illustrate a clear & present threat - the constant threat of Japanese conflict - that LL could exploit, if he isn't already and he very well may be, for his own gains.  LL may be Corean royalty (though illegitimate as he is) himself,  but especially after this recent skirmish between the Corean Navy and Japanese and the Japanese probably feeling humiliated by LG?  LL could saunter right over to Japan and sway them over to his side in the sense of the enemy of my enemy is my friend.  LL with his small band of sycophants isn't much of a threat, but LL with the Japanese military at his disposal would be a formidable opponent.  I even suspect we'll learn LL secretly politically maneuvered things in Japan so that they made that overture of war they did in ep6 in the first place.  Likely predicting LG responding as he would and thus angering the Japanese further re: the humiliation being out-foxed by Corea's King.  Leaving Japan rife for some payback, just as LL likely has been most of his life.

@cpt_falcon I think now I was finally able to make a connection with the tree and your moon rabbit theory!! I think you're completely right about how its probably JTE that is going to sacrifice herself. :bawling:

sl9yoxRZaZ6qShNlUoNuEimQBq91E9FGmBKnkVNp

I found this image of the moon rabbit legend and how they are always standing under a gyesu tree (@keikokoko had mentioned earlier how it was an acacia confusa tree, but im not sure if a gyesu tree and acacia confusa tree are the same). Anyways I just thought I would share that connection about the yellow tree and your "moon rabbit" theory.

I dont know if this was posted earlier, but here's a link about the moon rabbit legend for anyone who wanted read more about it. :blush:

https://gwangjunewsgic.com/arts-culture/korean-culture/daltokki/

• Like 12
  • Insightful 2

This youtube comment "This Lee Min Ho guy is ruining future relationships. He’s setting the bar so impossibly high, that the regular guys could not possibly meet. Oh well, we need to clone him. Science, make this happen!" hahahaha

• Like 4
  • LOL 12
  • Awesome 3

The newest comments under the video about Lee-Eul couple reunion in Naver!! 

Yoojin
이제부터가 시작이구만 내용이 전개되면 될수록 재밌어지겠네 ㅎㅎ 존버 성공이다
It's starting from now on, but the more the content is developed, the more fun it will be.

김고은님의 그 눈가 빨개지면서 슬프고 기쁘고 약간 그런 오묘한 감정연기와 이민호님의 나래이션때매 진짜 엔딩 계속 돌려보게 됨 .. 아니 그냥 6회가 지렷음 ... 6회 엔딩 마약이다 ㄹㅇ ..
As the eyes of Kim Go-eun's eyes are red, I feel sad and happy, and with such a mysterious emotional acting and Lee Min-ho's narration, I always keep turning the ending.

sweetie
와..엔딩 대박...인형고리가 슬로으로 떨어지는 더 디테일..크..
Wow .. Ending was jackpot ... more detail ...

Ming
엔딩이랑 예고편 진짜 잘 뽑는다.........담주 금요일 언제오니..
I really like endings and trailers ......... When will you come on Friday?

Century World
시청률 10프로 넘었다 ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ와아 더 오르자!!!!!
The viewership rate has exceeded 10%.

ulovesu
너무멋있다ㅜㅜㅜ뭔가 마음이 아리고 아프다ㅜㅜㅜ
It's so cool TT

Grass roots
김고은 눈물 머금은 아련한 눈빛. 진짜 최고다.
Kim Go-eun's tears, her vague eyes. It is really the best.

sooyeon
이민호 연기력대박 나래이션 부터 끝까지 넘 설렌다ㅜㅜ 다음주까지 어떻게 기다려..
Lee Min-ho's acting skills hit narration from the end to the end.

Lynn
이때 애절해서 심쿵! 미노님 눈빛 호수눈빛 빠져들어요
At this time, I am so sad! Mino's eyes, the lake, the eyes are falling

dudgk10eh
이곤폐하 멋져요
This is cool

Rosemary
다비치 ost 찰떡이네!
It's Davichi ost!

Mincer
하진짜 개설렌다ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ
Ha Jinja is open.   (Don't get this one)

Leftover
설레는 키차이 설레는 두사람 얼굴 나레이션 진짜 미쳤고 오스트는 또 무엇....하 갓벽하다
Kichai's fluttering fluttering two people's face narration is really crazy and what's Ost ...

seung
이민호님 나레이션 연기 개조아 슬퍼서 눈물날뻔 ㅜ
Lee Min-ho's narration acting mods, I'm sad and crying

• Like 9
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, SweetButters said:

I found this image of the moon rabbit legend and how they are always standing under a gyesu tree (@keikokoko had mentioned earlier how it was an acacia confusa tree, but im not sure if a gyesu tree and acacia confusa tree are the same). Anyways I just thought I would share that connection about the yellow tree and your "moon rabbit" theory

This makes sense. Could this mean the tree will symbolize JTE or her life? I really hope not because this would mean a SE for our couple. :wacko: When I first saw that scene when she left the seeds in the path between the two worlds, I felt nervous and sad. It's like the writer is giving us a hint and letting us prepare for a SE. :tears:

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

hi everyone. soompier here for many years, but haven't been active for a while. but lo and behold, TKEM brought me out of the woodwork.

i've been lurking since it aired on netflix. this has been my haven for SO many unanswered questions. i love how insightful so many of you are & i would like to thank you all for clarifying a lot of things that didn't make sense to me....or things that i've missed or things that just went over my head.  honestly, at times i thought i was going insane trying to make sense of it all. luckily, you guys helped me keep sane. :w00t:

i have adored LMH since City Hunter & KGE since Cheese. So the two of them together is a kdrama dream come true for me. the episodes are getting better. the 6th really made up for all my yearning that they would focus a little bit more on LG & JTE. I was not disappointed.

memorable parts in no particular order:

- the cooking/kitchen scene...the forehead skinship (that kinda sounds pervy sorry) rendered me speechless. the execution was perfect. so sweet and thoughtful...:wub:

- low key mile high club action. LG & JTE exchanging secret messages on their palms, while sidekick & that lady watching, had me delighted to bits. it was so unexpected...but definitely needed. thank you writer KES. 

-the KING showing us why he's KING. LMH effortlessly delivered the acting goods during the warship battle. truly wonderful!

-JTE's fearless & upright stance / she's so kick richard simmons tough....loved how she didn't back down on the bullies...albeit outnumbered & all. girls got HUGE cajones!! :ph34r:

-lastly, the scene that finally lead up to THAT HUG. not a lot of words....but overwhelming emotions subtly conveyed by LG & JTE. Brilliant!!:wub:

that is all for now. have a wonderful day/evening wherever you are. keep safe :-)

• Like 17
  • Love 4

5 minutes ago, simplebeauty08 said:

This makes sense. Could this mean the tree will symbolize JTE or her life? I really hope not because this would mean a SE for our couple. :wacko: When I first saw that scene when she left the seeds in the path between the two worlds, I felt nervous and sad. It's like the writer is giving us a hint and letting us prepare for a SE. :tears:

In a lot of the versions of the Moon Rabbit tales the Rabbit(s) are pounding mortar to make medicine (though sometimes it's rice cakes, lol) and the gyesu tree may have been added in the tales specifically because of it's long life and medicinal properties.

The thing with Rabbits in both Western and Eastern folklore is - likely thanks to the fairly universal biology of rabbits across the globe, heh ;) - they represent life due to their capacity to breed and how most species of rabbits thrive in spring.  The notion of planting flowers, even if the gesture seems futile now as it's a place they (allegedly) can't grow at all?  I actually took as a good sign for her future, even if there's some really dark times coming too, because - despite the lack of oxygen and water in the liminal space (?) of that middle world - I do think those flowers will grow and bloom, to LG's shock/surprise (though also could give him hope when he needs it the most).  In which case, the idea life can exist, no matter how impossible, and life that JTE herself seeded there?  That's a very powerful symbol.  That could be the proof/motivation for LG that regardless of the odds against it,  he'll be able to bring JTE back to life (probably via time travel), even if she dies.  Life coming to exist (again) when all reason and logic said it shouldn't have.  JTE making the impossible possible and LG does too.

Though with all the series heavy talk of marriage and heirs for LG, rabbits and LG/JTE's impossible star-crossed love story?  If that isn't foreshadowing those two having a bunch of kids together, I don't even know. :lol:   If she dies, it'd be JTE's impossible, miraculous salvation via LG, leading to just as impossible children (born of parents of two different worlds).

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Jam Dungca said:

Its because he just learned that his evil uncle is alive and is also crossing the other world.. Imagine what will happens if LR finds out that JTE is LG gf? He will definitely use or harm just to get back at LG . That is why it make sense  that LG said that he will put JTE into  danger.. LG is not alwys beside JTE side since he will also need to go back to his kingdom to do his duties. That alone is something alarming and may cause danger to JTE sicne LR is near JTE's friends. 

Thanks to you and @Heretorant for responding.

What I meant to ask is: does the ending scene dialogue signify no other risk than perceived threats from enemies of a King? Isn't any King with a family vulnerable? Maybe I am overthinking it.

We know that LR is near JTE's friends but LG doesn't.

@1ouise I got the same feel: bodyguard and prince analogy from the other series you mentioned. I could never understand why did he have to die and that too towards the end of the series. In the end, the villain gets punished for some weird thing rather than his death! I was so... :thumbsdown: I hope nothing as anti-climatic happens here.

Though I will say: I was way more invested in that character than I am in Officer Jo as of now.

*Edited

@cpt_falcon interesting! so rabbit foreshadows a merger of the two souls :D
I had searched up acacia and google said resurrection. Who knows... but am not sure if the leads would agree to onscreeen kids (image of young actors etc etc)

Just a thought: LG says you were the only who was supposed to call the name that cant be called. 
We are referring to the poem again. Will the name (his name) be called more than twice?
The first 4 songs and the poem to me pointed to a sad ending.

The fifth song  of the OST didnt fit in for me and I am not sure where is it used. I really like what I heard of the 6th song.

• Like 9

MYM IG update

Actor Lee Min-ho attracted attention with his different eyes and charisma yesterday. A king who is doing his work looks always charming. He is also perfect with his navy uniform as if he is a model of it. Let's see what actor Lee Min-ho will do to keep the growing love and make the world right next week.

• Like 7
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 1