[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

Ohh... how dashing our king with white naval uniform!!! I can't stop being in hearteyes mode. 

It seems there would be some invasion or something from other country, why??? Our king is just start dating people!! Can they enjoy their moment first, oh gosh! 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, reynamorisson said:
Spoiler

My two cents of the rating and all:

Let's all agree that this drama is not an easy topic to digest. Let's not compare it to CLOY, especially WOTM, Itaewon Class -> because the complexity of the story setting and the stretch of reality they bring are totally of different variables to compare (putting editing, directing and everything else aside). Now let's see what other dramas we could compare this to: Arthdal Chronicles, Goblin, Hotel Del Luna--but even for these two, the back stories are simple. One is about a punished soul that has to live for 900 years and look for his bride to finally kill him. Hote Del Luna is another story about a woman that has to live so many years before she could go. For foreign shows, the king would follow the theme of Interstellar, Inception, etc. The closest to this drama to me is Arthdal Chronicles which did well but also did not sky rocket rating. Even these movies I mentioned are not easy to make sense for many audience and did sufficient in terms of market success but not extravagantly reaping audience. Interesting how TKEM is similar to these shows right?

So what am I saying here? Assuming that our stakeholders in this production are professionals (which I believe they all are), the writers, the actors, the PDs and everyone - that must mean that they have been the first people to know the nature of this show, the risks and their audience first hand. They are professionals in the industry and are top rated players, who are equipped to predict some levels of outcomes. Before we assume that they don't know this, we should give some thoughts that maybe this was expected even by them (notice how all the casts in the press conference said that the story picked up as the show continues). They know that risk, once again.

We are the ones who have a different set of expectations and what success means. Our expectation is that everyone (20% which are 2 million korean audience would tap and follow) but I know that my mom won't be interested in watching this type of drama. She did not even finish episode 2 of Goblin. My dad even more so. So what this eventually means is that maybe we should expect that it will fall around 9-12% rating (and btw this means 1.2-1.5 million watchers in South Korea only). Who is to say that this won't increase? But then again even if it does not increase, can we see that this is a good number already for this highly complex story? Like 1.2 million people on average are following parallel universe theory when maybe 50% of them do believe that the world is flat? I think that's pretty amazing ~

The production company, artists and writer are aware of the risks and potential that this won't reach the whole population in South Korea. However, even with that argument, we know that this number does not capture Netflix followers and please read through my thoughts below why going to Netflix and different branding variables are important to define success.

What does success mean then? Why would they take this risks? Wouldn't it be easier to do a different project with easier delivery and less risks? And if stakeholders are aware that the drama potentially won't reach all types of audience, how will they finance it? Will they lose money?

No, they took this project as is and went forward (and made profit out of it). They must have done different strategies to make it happen:

1) The story targetted a more serious type of audience: focused, loyal and creative minds who are more mature in terms of variety of entertainment. We know that a TV episode showing once may not fulfill that. Hence a streaming provider fits with the need of audience to be focused while watching. This calls for a platform where you can watch it anytime, anywhere.

2) They predicted the minimum audience base in Korea and kept going with that breakeven point, and expanded the project targetting million others across the world that can follow this type of story through a global paid platform

3) They found artists who are with the same mission and vision: delivering complicated stories well, targeting a different type of audience, and increasing their brand recognition across the world.

The above point is proven through several strategies that they have successfully done:

1) They sold the shows to both SBS and Netflix as well as other streaming services at full cost and have gained 30% profit even before episode 4! 30% profit from 30 billion project is a yummy number of money. Also Studio Dragon stock has been increasing before and while project is airing. Project financing accomplished and streaming companies are happy that many new users signed up (customer acquisition) and actually, the show itself is not losing.

2) Branding and endorsement continue to receive average of 1.2-2 million watchers in Korea alone with the names that Kim Eun Sook, Lee Minho, Kim Go Eun carry with the show as is. It already gives them profits and revenues. Think what this means for those brands for the international audience -> tourism, business expansion, etc.

3) The top rated actors and actresses wanted to expand their acting portofolio and brand recognition. And they got that in this project. The artists too are placed to carry the show especially in the beginning where they try to attract that specific niche audience, lay down the stage setting of the story and expose the skills of the artists. Lee Min Ho, Kim Go Eun and WDH gained several hundred thousands instagram followers in 3 weeks alone (check that for success). And guys, this is only 30% of the whole show! We see how well Wo Doh Hwan has done the two roles -- we have yet to see Luna where I am sure Kim Go Eun will slay with her acting skills. More is in store. More exciting stuff is coming.

I'd like to close this lengthy media and film industry essay (lol) by acknowledging that the story and characters could be written more neatly. The CGI and editing could be better. And the acting can always be encouraged to take different interpretations. But instead of seeing this show as a failure, I'd like to invite you all to see another point of view: isn't it exciting that 1.2 million people in Korea alone, and several other millions in the world are following this mindfogging storyline? And in fact, is also doing well beyond the repeatedly sourced number? And in fact, is not losing financially? And it's only episode 5? And there is more? And there are geeks like us that like how the theories come up? And math?

Stay focused on the things that matter. LMH and KGE careers are doing well and even better. I cannot wait for the next episodes! 

WOW! You nailed it! Thank you so much!!

Cannot wait for the next episode. Love this show!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, simplebeauty08 said:

I think so too. If I remember it right, in an interview, KGE said that all of them have dual roles, and that is one of the reasons this drama will be interesting to watch. Then this means LMH has dual role as well. If that is indeed the case, I wonder how his other role will play out. 

I believe LMH in RoK is dead. Uncle killed the boy 25 years ago. Why would he keep the little boy alive when he wants to be king of the world? 

@Umjicheok, welcome to Soompi Forums. You gave your first post to The Monarch. The more analysts, the better!    :)            

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, rambutan said:

I believe LMH in RoK is dead. Uncle killed the boy 25 years ago. Why would he keep the little boy alive when he wants to be king of the world? 

@Umjicheok, welcome to Soompi Forums. You gave your first post to The Monarch. The more analysts, the better!    :)            

Probably LR would kill the other LG once he becomes the king? but I think it would be better if LMH in RoK is really dead coz having a bad version of LG will complicate the story even more and will mean more bad news to the real LG. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Umjicheok said:

3. I wonder why king LG didn't think about searching about himself and his family's doppelgangers in Korea since he saw Young's counterpart eun seob and  Myeong na ri - myeong swing ah. 

That way what TE did in corea is more realistic and smart B)

One is a scientist and one is liberal arts. The scientist is logical while the liberal arts thinks and acts from the heart.  Lee Gon said he was not interested in the doppelgangers because his REAL parents were dead. The liberal arts person knows her real mother is dead, but still wants to meet the woman who looks like her mother, and wants her to be well.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2

This episode is quite exciting :D

I totally woke up late and missed the first 20 minutes lol. 

:bawling: JTE being the sweetest daughter. Awwwhhh I feel so bad for her. She misses her world and the people there too. How will they ever be together?

How can I handle their parting later when I’m already sad seeing them part this time? It needed to happen.:(

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

JTE's back in Korea....:glasses: She misses her father ... he he..

and she's going to miss someone else soon.

p.s Hopefully no one's going to ask how she gets back....at this moment.  I'm just going to wait till they show it.. although I'm curious too.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Aleenaaa said:

As expected her original ID has disappeared from the box. Also I'm living for JY's sulking expressions whenever king flirts with JTE:lol:

It was you and me who discussed it yesterday right? We predicted the ID will disappear and it did :scream:

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 3

2 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

It was you and me who discussed it yesterday right? We predicted the ID will disappear and it did :scream:

Yes! It wasn't in the box when Lady Noh was checking unless king stole the ID from the box which he gave to her:lol:

• Like 3

My review of Episode 5

When Lee Gon and Tae Eul arrived at the Empire of Corea, I can't help but wonder what was going on Jo Young's mind when the king shows up with an unknown girl! She even makes jokes now on beheading which makes Lee Gon laugh, who, by character description of the drama, has only laughed in front of Jo Young. 

Spoiler

okcws1h.gif

I was also surprised to see the scene where Lee Gon and Tae Eul enter that place between the two worlds. I'm also thinking it may have been a flashback. That place is interesting to explore, but for now, I will leave it at that, as Lee Gon himself says.

Spoiler

Ju4eIt4.gif

Tae Eul, being the detective that she is, tries to prove to herself that she is in fact in a kingdom in a parallel world by pointing a gun at its king, Lee Gon. And real world she confirms, as the bodyguards scramble to protect their king. Looks like she and Jo Young got off on the wrong foot there.    

Spoiler

u0WsHxS.gif

And looks like Lady Noh is skeptical of Tae Eul as well. But she succumbs to Lee Gon anyway, as she is his guest, and oh, she sees her ID.

Spoiler

iWZmDDn.gif

I am loving Lee Gon's facial expressions and body language as soon as Tae Eul enters his palace. Boy sure is glad and giddy that she is finally there, and as he mentions, he has been dreaming of that day for so long. 

Spoiler

dF40iJs.gif

He even cooked a meal for her. Sure is an odd sight for a king.

Spoiler

E1xyvdf.gif

Ahh, such a tease asking which side of his palace Tae Eul's room is.

Spoiler

CmmM6Lr.gif

And of course, he owns the whole thing, so he should figure out where Lady Noh hid her (but he doesn't know where the alcohol fridge is!) :lol:

Spoiler

2tvK0Ub.gif

Oh hello there, Minomi. Now we know where that plush toy came from.

Spoiler

whSk5Dy.gif

It's interesting how Lee Gon and Tae Eul go to great lengths just to prove things to themselves and to each other. If Tae Eul points a gun at Lee Gon to prove the existence of his kingdom, here comes Lee Gon proving that there are no security cameras in Tae Eul's room by resting his head on her shoulder. And our suave king didn't settle for just that; now to prove his dating history, he kisses her all of a sudden. 

At first watch, I thought that kiss was out of place and was too soon. But upon rewatch, their manner of "proving things," as I've just mentioned, seems to be the connecting thread in these three scenes.

As for Tae Eul's reaction on the kiss, or lack of it, we saw in the previous episode that she was longing for him, and yet doesn't know it. Add to that being whisked into a foreign world that scared the heck out of her. So forgive her for the rather late response. :lol:

7nveFfn.gif

SqBRWRF.gif

Not meticulous enough, huh, Lee Gon? Lady Noh beat you to Tae Eul's room. 

Spoiler

OWlsq1L.gif

Yep, girl is warming up to our king. And Jo Young sees. :lol:

Spoiler

tM2JYPi.gif

QRkUnJ3.gif

I find it odd that Tae Eul left her search history on Lee Gon's phone. With her detective background, she should know that she should delete her search history or at least search incognito. But I guess it was needed to move the story forward. 

Spoiler

IZVDjfF.gif

So we get a confirmation that Lee Rim does replace a person in Corea with his/her doppelganger from Korea. He lures them with a better life on the other world. And he holds them hostage by blackmailing them on the murder of their doppelganger. And it seems that he's targeting key individuals, in this case someone close to the prime minister.

Spoiler

tMS2TxB.gif

IWgzBRx.gif

rp7MVSd.gif

Haha, I guess Tae Eul's kiss reaction isn't reaching LTE speed. :lol:

Spoiler

G3JD8J9.gif

As she wanders around Busan, she sees the statue of Admiral Yi Sun Shin. In her world, that statue is in Seoul, at the square where she first met Lee Gon. And when she arrives at that square in Seoul, statue, there was none.

Spoiler

5QOsPrW.gif

6ZcxPkT.gif

Of course, when she arrives at the parallel world of Seoul, the first thing she does is to check on the existence of the persons close to her (or their doppelgangers).

So we see the counterparts of Tae Eul's team. 

Spoiler

Team from Corea

1cykKVi.gif

Team from Korea

Tbne6GZ.gif

She then drops by the old house of Shin Jae. Here, we see a scene happening simultaneously on different worlds. Notice the contrasting street signs of the same street, only half of the road with tram rails, and opposing shadows of Tae Eul and Shin Jae. 

Rri417k.gif

Spoiler

gwkkuIX.gif

YZRI4xA.gif

Of course, she would also look for her family in that world. Little does she know that her doppelganger, Luna, no longer has a family. 

Spoiler

i0Na2El.gif

So Jo Young did shadow her during her trip. Well, she is the king's guest, so it's only right that the king orders this to Jo Young. But to not give her money when she ran out of it? Hmm, seems like they did get off on the wrong foot. Or he's just testing her.

Spoiler

OODwZsK.gif

pvvJFnH.gif

Only a grand entrance for the King. B)

Spoiler

UZQRF22.gif

Here comes nosy prime minister again. Just when Lady Noh warned her not to meet with other people in the kingdom, here is Tae Eul about to have a face-off (?) with no less than the prime minister. :blink:

Spoiler

ruYq1rf.gif

• Like 6
  • Love 7
  • Insightful 3

1 minute ago, Aleenaaa said:

Yes! It wasn't in the box when Lady Noh was checking unless king stole the ID from the box which he gave to her:lol:

I was waiting for that moment when Lady Noh gave JTE all her things back... :D 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4