[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

I'm going to sleep and in a few hours it will Saturday soon. 

Don't forget to take a rest people, it's good to have a rest so your immune system works better and keep your health well. 

I see we all thrown into many questions and hopefully each one of them will be answered in next episodes. 

When I wake up, I bet you all will jump like 3 or 4 pages. Hahahaha. It would be fun if soompi could upgrade its feature to facilitate a thread with index. Just saying... anyway, good night from my side of the world.... ^^

• Like 7

I woke up and first thing I saw was that preview/trailer!!!

giphy.gif

What-Excuse-me-Say-what-GIF.gif

I left off happily in gutterland with that beheading bts last night from SBS..only to wake up to use my mind again..

This drama making me solve more equations than all the nights I studied for my math exams..

:joy:

*backtrack mode on* let’s begin!!

edit:

@mrsj3n I’m here now! :D but my mind is already running left and right :joy:

• Like 2
  • LOL 12

3 minutes ago, realistic2280a said:

So the *bed* scene BTS was release ... cute..

Anyway, maybe i wasnt paying attention but why did Lee Gon wash rice while waiting JTE to wake up? - asking this after rewatching ep 13 :lol:

They had a discussion on it in Episode 9 when they visited the field. She said he looks good in it.. and was jealous wondering if hes ever worn it and cooked for other girls. So he wore it as a romantic gesture. First everyone thought he would propose to her wearing that. I dont remember the exact conversation. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

From all the spoilers we've seen, I don't see any scene where it appears that JTE doesn't remember LG?  It's always LG who doesn't appear to remember JTE, which is truly odd to me.  For example:

Spoiler

That fan video where LG walks right past JTE and she cries immediately after he passes by her without recognition (although some are saying this is not LG, but his doppelganger)

2.   That scene in today's preview where JTE hugs LG in the exact same place they first met in Episode 1.  But now it appears it's JTE who remembers him, but LG doesn't react?

What am I missing?

• Like 12

I hate that despite all these spoilers thrown our way, none of us can figure out what the heck is up with that interrogation scene in the very first episode!!! 

Since that scene exists, it means that there is a timeloop or timeline where LR goes to Korea and gets arrested for doing something there.  But what did he do in Korea for him to be arrested and handcuffed?

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, SweetButters said:

Also anyone notice on LR side that instead of red balloons there are photographs?

He has a darkroom where he keeps pictures of those he targets.  Isn't it interesting that while LG has markers or geo-tags in his InBetweenPlace in his attempt to open up doors to find a way to TE (my assumption), LR has photos of people he will bring down or use for his selfish purpose?

One seeks to light up his path while the other chooses to remain in the dark. As I have mentioned before, anti-thesis till the end.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Still going to go with my original way time traveling works as seen here. Slight revision though:

1) LG still does get the flute, but dies in the process. JTE lives and so she goes back and puts more clues in the timeline. 

2) Basically then its all JTE and LG who puts clues in their past in order to shape or warp their present 

3) I guess this explains why certain characters lose their memories. Its because these characters are like off targeting effects of the times JTE or LG tried to fix the timeline.

It took Thomas Edison over 1000 failures to succeed in the invention of the lightbulb. So it probably took JTE and LG just as many times or more to develop the perfect formulation for their timeline where they are both are alive and there aren't any off targeting events lol. It's all one big experiment, you just have to manipulate certain points in time by adding clues lol. Each time you repeat an experiment, even if you dont get a good result, you at least learn something new. Then you go back again and again repeating the experiment until finally you get good results lol. 

Whelp I'm D.E.A.D haha Goodbye brain you've been shattered way too many times by TKEM.

40b4dd20ce3c29b774800f5a789e618a.jpg

##########################

2 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

He has a darkroom where he keeps pictures of those he targets.  Isn't it interesting that while LG has markers or geo-tags in his InBetweenPlace in his attempt to open up doors to find a way to TE (my assumption), LR has photos of people he will bring down or use for his selfish purpose?

One seeks to light up his path while the other chooses to remain in the dark. As I have mentioned before, anti-thesis till the end.

@mychoiyoung Ooooooo I like this idea a lot more thought and meaning than my idea lol!! I thought that maybe it was the object they first carried into their portals haha. Can't wait until tomorrow AHHHHHHHH 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

12 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

I woke up and first thing I saw was that preview/trailer!!

I left off happily in gutterland with that beheading bts last night from SBS..only to wake up to use my mind again..

This drama making me solve more equations than all the nights I studied for my math exams..

:joy:

*backtrack mode on* let’s begin!

@vangsweetie637 might be time for that “vodka beach party” :tounge_xd:

its 11:30am I’m my timezone, but my brain is shut, and I’m ready for day drinking lol!

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

2 hours ago, LMHolic said:

No episode today?? Why?? 

Multiple Choice 
1. Because SBS wants to torture us...
2. COVID awareness, but they are showing a horror movie instead.

3. $$$

4. All of the above 

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

40 minutes ago, realistic2280a said:

So the *bed* scene BTS was release ... cute..

Anyway, maybe i wasnt paying attention but why did Lee Gon wash rice while waiting JTE to wake up? - asking this after rewatching ep 13 :lol:

Yep. it was Rice bounding rabbit

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, CatWhiskers said:

I finally did a second rewatch and I think our couple will have a happy ending. It's been repeatedly mention LG should get married.. Like so many times.. I am sure it means something. Now question is... I don't see him n prime minister koo... There is no reason he shuld marry her. So left TE. 

I think we will get a happy ending too but be prepared..we will suffer first :lol: noooo..PM can’t be the bride because she must be the BEHEADED.. :naughty:

6 hours ago, mychoiyoung said:

That's the Dae Jang Choi Young move!

yes it is! Daejang!! We recognized your move there..!! :D

6 hours ago, Dramanoona said:

Watching Ep 10 again and I have to admit KES's useful use of poems.

I even bought the book where Dokkaebi read the poem when he realised he had fallen in love.

Now I am tempted to buy the book of poems that Lady Noh is reading.

i agree! The poems always seem to speak the emotions of that exact scene used too :wub:

@lyrically aesthetic hahahaha! I agree with you! Episode 13s of KES gonna have me like this:

giphy.gif

——

Lol. Im using my phone to backtrack and I have like 3 tabs open (2 tabs to read a page so I can backtrack faster) and one to find gifs that will describe my immediate response haha. And now my phone is lagging..

I can’t even keep it simple anymore for me LOL.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

42 minutes ago, Anagha said:

Hi, I don’t know what’s gonna happen to the story in the next episodes. But I had a theory that I posted on youtube a week before. I just wanted to share it with you guys. The preview of ep 13 is sooo confusing. And I don’t think my theory is right. But still wanted to share because even if a single element from that make sense, it’ll be nice. 

I’m stuck with this Lee Ji Hu idea. What if he some how escaped from Lee Rim and grew up somewhere secretly. He might appear in the next episodes. I guess he may kill Lee Rim and take hold of his flute, travel back to the past, and save young Lee Gon. This might sound naive but I really do think that’s how it is gonna be. Because it’s definitely LMH who saved Lee Gon.

Another possibility. Lee Lim might have raised Lee Ji Hu secretly. There is no reason for him to kill Lee Jin Hu anyway. But he can use him as his final weapon against The King since both of them have the same face. Why do u think Lee Lim is protecting LeeJi Hu’s mom? He doesn’t even allow her to die despite her attempting to suicide several times. I think this is to threaten Lee Ji Hu with his mom. Lee Lim might want Lee Ji Hu to do things in his favour. But as I said Lee Ji Hu will somehow kill Lee Rim, and save his mom. Then he will take the flute and join hands with LeeGon.

I am so much confused with theory of Lee Gon travelling to his past to save his younger self. It is because he was saved that day that he is alive today. If he was killed that day, there wouldn’t be a present lee gon to go back to the past. So in brief, if he is alive today, there is no reason for him to go back to save himself. My guess is Lee ji hu is the one who saved young Lee Gon. We did not see lee ji hu getting killed in the drama. We just saw lee lim approaching lee ji hu to kill him.

This was what I thought before ep 13 preview. But now when I think about it, maybe LG can save his younger self. But he might have gone to the past for some other reason like killing LR but ended up saving himself. 

Please share your thoughts. 

Wow!  This theory is too convincing. But we don't know if LJH is alive yet.  And the preview and spoilers hint us about some major memory losses going to happen.  Lets all wait for a happy episode.  Fingers crossed. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

16 minutes ago, SweetButters said:

Still going to go with my original way time traveling works as seen here. Slight revision though:

1) LG still does get the flute, but dies in the process. JTE lives and so she goes back and puts more clues in the timeline. 

2) Basically then its all JTE and LG who puts clues in their past in order to shape or warp their present 

3) I guess this explains why certain characters lose their memories. Its because these characters are like off targeting effects of the times JTE or LG tried to fix the timeline.

It took Thomas Edison over 1000 failures to succeed in the invention of the lightbulb. So it probably took JTE and LG just as many times or more to develop the perfect formulation for their timeline where they are both are alive and there aren't any off targeting events lol. It's all one big experiment, you just have to manipulate certain points in time by adding clues lol. Each time you repeat an experiment, even if you dont get a good result, you at least learn something new. Then you go back again and again repeating the experiment until finally you get good results lol.

This is similar to Faith.  The doctor who was unceremoniously dragged to Old-time Korea got the chance to go back to her own world, modern day Korea,  But she fell in love with General Choi Young so she went back to Old Time Korea using the portal.  Except that she missed the time mark by 100 years old  before Choi Young's time.  So she left clues for her "future" self to guide her way back to Choi Young's time & ensure that history is not compromised. She travelled back & forth through the portal many times until she lands the right time.  One of the main difference is that no one has control of the portal in Faith.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

So we are almost sure that it is LG saving himself, is it going to be like Prisoner of Azkaban (POA). IF YES then I have trouble understanding it.:sweat_smile:

Backstory of my doubt:

Spoiler

So I was brushing up on  POA time travel since I read HP books almost 11 yrs ago. 

According to HP time travelling theory, you can't change something that has already happened. Time is a linear entity.

Buckbeak and Sirius were already saved in the first timeline but Harry-Hermione didn't know that till they did time-travelling and saw their past selves . The common plot-hole that fans say is why didn't Harry/or anyone else go back to the past to save James and Lily and the common answer is because they were meant to die in the first place. If anyone is interested, these are the two sources that I went through:

https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/Buckbeak

https://www.reddit.com/r/FanTheories/comments/7lzchl/filling_the_timeturner_plothole_harry_potter/

So buckbeak was meant to live so even in the first timeline he freed himself.

Relation with TKEM:

Spoiler

So when young LG was saved in the current timeline (which for clarity sake I am considering timeline-1), does that mean he was meant to live . Hence irrespective whether the future LG time-travelled  or not he would still be alive? 

If that is not how it works , then who saved future LG prior to him going back and saving the current LG

I hope I am making sense in explaining my doubt:sweatingbullets:

• Like 10

Hello everyone. Sadly no episode of TKEM last night.. as they aired Contagion. But it’s ok tonight new episode will air. I was So excited as I am eagerly waiting to watch ep 13 Online on Netflix. Then when I see why no new episode? So I googled for ep 13. Then only I knew Friday episode will not air as they air the movie Contagion ^_^ Must wait longer for new episode. But for this drama I will wait. While waiting for new episode, I enjoyed reading all your theories and discussion in this forum. Well I saw a cute video of uri Tae Ul & Lee Gon. Down here is the link of the video. Hope you guys will enjoy watching it. I just hope for the best and Happy ending for uri main leads please writer nim.

I saw this cute video on you tube. I hope you guys enjoy it

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I just backtracked freaking 30 pages .... WHOAAA .... We are all MAAAAAADDDD .... quoting the Cheshire Cat from Wonderland ....

We have fallen so deep into the Neverending Parallel Universe that is TKEM ... BTS of Beheading Kiss and then ... the preview of Episode 13 ... 

I am preparing my funeral prayers for JTE ... :bawling: 

@bebebisous33- Thank you for the AMAZING write up on the difference between Tae Eul & Lee Gon’s belief systems! I am going to re-read again - however, my first thought - I think Lee Gon will realise soon - that Mathematics is ultimately God’s first language ...

I do wonder where’s the Yo-yo child in the ensuing chaos ... maybe he/she is taking a backseat ... 

Still can’t see the connections about KOC’s war with Japan unless it’s all just a metaphor for something... 

I am not going to discuss the Beheading Rice Pounding Wildness of a BTS for Ep 12 here - will reserve all the CLOSE SCRUTINY AND ANALYSIS for the Shipper’s Thread!! 

*SCREAMINGSILENTLY 

*NEEDTOSLEEP 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3