[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

This is the first that I've ever expericenced a episode broadcast cancellation that is not due to a sporting event, presidental election, or breaking news.

Technically, Netflix does have both this week's episodes. They could show Friday's episode but I guess they have this contract agreement with SBS. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Elnin Joery said:

There is also the time machine time travel concept which really sucks because nothing can be remade. He watches his wife die like 1000 times. I am glad we are not using that concept here

Not my cop of tea. I watched that movie mainly because of his time travel where he goes to the farthest distance possible and meets another woman and her little brother he helps them out against predators i thought that world they build was kinda interesting but other then that not my thing 

• Like 2

On 5/23/2020 at 4:47 AM, SweetButters said:

So I made this nice little chart thing to help my little scientist brain understand better what's going on! Maybe it'll help some of you guys (there are probably typos or whatever else)! :joy:

this is so informative 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, aya02 said:

this is so informative 

I haven't seen Sweetbutters full theory I will have to go back and read it fully due to the thread moving fast it's not every time I get the chance to read others theories but I will read this one and give my take on it. @SweetButters

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I thought I was going to drop this drama after episode 4 because the humor didn't hit off like the humor in Goblin and Mr. Sunshine. I believe the editing of the scenes don't do justice to the humor. What brought me more humor was scrolling through gifs and meme in this thread. :D And I love to read @bebebisous33 analysis and other people's theories. (I haven't read every single post as this thread moves really quickly.) 

I like to build off of bebebisous33's observations of TE's personality in her analysis, The Earth is Flat: Jeong Tae Eul's Relationship to Sciences and Faith

I will speculate what Myer-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) is for Jung Tae Eul and Lee Gon. Four traits determine your MBTI:

• Introvert(I)/Extrovert(E) 
  • Sensing(S)/Intuitive(N) 
  • Thinking(T)/Feeling(F)
  • Perceptive(P)/Judging(J)

If you want to learn more about MBTI, you can visit 16Personalities and/or read Gifts Differing by Isabel Briggs Myers with Peter B. Myers. 

On 5/28/2020 at 10:02 AM, bebebisous33 said:

She can not understand things through numbers or theories, she needs to live it with all her senses. She is so different from Lee Gon who uses his brain in order to grasp the world, she uses her other senses in order to gain knowledge: the eyes, the hands, the heart…

As mentioned above, TE is sensitive. On the other hand, Lee Gon is intuitive; he has a sense of what feels right and wrong to him. He knows what feels right for his heart, which is different and subjective for each individual. Also as a king, he has to make decisions for the public and feels what's right for the public. For example, he holds off catching Lee Lim on the day of New Year's because he feels that it is wrong to harm the innocent citizens. 

Tae Eul // Lee Gon

_ S _ _ // _ N _ _ 

The next trait is thinking vs. feeling. From an early age, LG would spend days in his study room thinking in the language of math and solving math problems. He uses the language of math; he thinks in numbers to express himself (e.g., his meaning of 0 and 1). When he crossed to TE's world, he immediately thinks where he is and understands that it is a parallel universe. He tries to explain his theory to TE and he even goes to the library to read about the history of TE's world. Therefore, LG is a thinker.

TE is also a thinker. When she first sees LG, she thinks that he is crazy and immediately decides to arrest him. Her job involves her to think, investigate and conclude her case with substantial evidence.

Tae Eul // Lee Gon

_ S T _ // _ N T _ 

The third trait is perceiving vs. judging. It's kind of tricky. I thought Lee Gon would have a judging personality because of his job as a king. But the way he acts for a job is for the job. His personality trait is perceptive. When he crossed over to TE's world, he looks around him, the unknown parallel world. He wanders around and becomes well aware that this world is completely different from his. On the other hand, TE has the judging personality trait because she's always expressing what seems right/wrong for her. She thinks that LG's theory about the parallel universe is gibberish and believes that the world is flat. That becomes the fact for her. That is right for her, "The earth is flat", and LG's perspective of the parallel universe sends her judgment label to be wrong. In conclusion, TE is more judgmental than perceptive while LG is more perceptive than judgmental.

Tae Eul // Lee Gon

_ S T J // _ N T P

Lastly, TE is an extrovert because most of the time she thinks out loud. She has friends. She has her buddies who back her up especially Shin Jae to investigate the parallel world. LG is an introvert because he internalizes things and his circle is close knit. Yes, LG goes to large crowds as a king, but he prefers to be indoors with people he is comfortable with. Or he likes to be by himself (e.g., study room solving math problems or at the walkway thinking)

Tae Eul // Lee Gon

E S T J // I N T P

In broader terms TE is a judging extrovert and LG is a perceiving introvert. According to 16Personalities, TE is an executive and LG is a logician. When I first watched this drama, I was skeptical of TE's character in relation to her career. So I checked what ESTJ careers are. 

Executives’ sense of loyalty results in them staying with a single employer as long as possible, and their reverence for established institutions often leads to work with well-respected organizations. Law enforcement, military service, hospitals and prominent legal firms are all able to recognize Executives’ long years of service.

So generally ESTJs are clear and straightforward and they need stability and structure. That is why they gravitate towards institutions like law enforcement, military service, etc. Now I can see why TE is in the police enforcement. 

As for LG, it's spot on, too. 

Chief among Logicians’ interests is exploring and building models for underlying principles and ideas, even going so far as to find these concepts, in their own way, beautiful – this makes them natural mathematicians, systems analysts, and career scientists, especially in more abstract fields such as physics.

He clearly has this drive to understand the parallel universe and figure it out. And he is definitely a natural mathematician with all those mathematic confessions. :lol:

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 11

9 minutes ago, kboramint said:

This is the first that I've ever expericenced a episode broadcast cancellation that is not due to a sporting event, presidental election, or breaking news.

Technically, Netflix does have both this week's episodes. They could show Friday's episode but I guess they have this contract agreement with SBS. 

Litte Mama's so many EPs posponed because of Covid 

7 minutes ago, Elnin Joery said:

I haven't seen Sweetbutters full theory I will have to go back and read it fully due to the thread moving fast it's not every time I get the chance to read others theories but I will read this one and give my take on it. @SweetButters

Same here lost out on bunch of theories read alot but also lost on fairly good amount. I lost couple of @bebebisous33 and @SweetButters theories while i read a handful theories from them as well but due to the thread movement obviously. I read couple of @AgentQuakequakey theories haha and a bunch from @madmad min all in all these theories were good and thoughtful all of them

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Elnin Joery said:

I just think I lost you translation can you elaborate on what you mean by re-appeared dec 1954?

we first saw the flute in dec 1994....... it appears every 20 years so

dec 1974 

dec 1954

dec1934 and so  on 

lady noh crossed before the end of the korean war end acc to her question to JT( 7-1953) so how since the flute appeared in dec 1954

unless she only asked JT to test her 

3 minutes ago, aya02 said:

we first saw the flute in dec 1994....... it appears every 20 years so

dec 1974 

dec 1954

dec1934 and so  on 

lady noh crossed before the end of the korean war end acc to her question to JT( 7-1953) so how since the flute appeared in dec 1954

unless she only asked JT to test her 

Did they mention anywhere in the show that the flute disappears every 20 years? for I didn't catch that part 

On 5/28/2020 at 3:29 AM, mychoiyoung said:

Tequila for me please :)

I finished work all set to watch episode 13 and what no episode even on netflx. :bawling:How am I going to spend my Friday night. I need a lot of drinks now so here's a tequila for you and a big drink for me 

220px-15-09-26-RalfR-WLC-0244.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Elnin Joery said:

Did they mention anywhere in the show that the flute disappears every 20 years? for I didn't catch that part 

LR said in ep 1 

it appears every 20 years to wish the world peace so i guess it disappears after

why would he wait so long to get it if not

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, aya02 said:

i meant since it appears every 20 

so in lady noh timeline it appeared dec-1954 & that doesn't go well with her supposed crossing

in 1949(1932-17 since she saw her family the last time)

she asked JT about the korean war end (6-1950 to 7-1953) since she didn't know the outcome that means she did leave before the end of 1953 but how since the flute appeared in dec 1954?

Maybe the young boy brought Lady Noh across since, he's a diety and doesn't need an instrument to cross the two worlds. 

We still don't know where Luna came from and how someone just dumped her in the street as a baby...how did she come to know and become friends with the kid then?!? He seems to isolate himself from others (I'm just saying...)

• Like 6
  • Insightful 4

22 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

Same here lost out on bunch of theories read alot but also lost on fairly good amount. I lost couple of @bebebisous33 and @SweetButters theories while i read a handful theories from them as well but due to the thread movement obviously. I read couple of @AgentQuakequakey theories haha and a bunch from @madmad min all in all these theories were good and thoughtful all of them

Thats exactly what happened here with me. I read alot and missed alot. I need to re-read theories from once you mentioned already and couple of others. @briseis theories including @Keikokoko @cpt_falcon @Geolyvseven @Time loop @Alice in wonderland and couple of others I will re-read 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, balletgoddess said:

Maybe the young boy brought Lady Noh across since, he's a diety and doesn't need an instrument to cross the two worlds. 

We still don't know where Luna came from and how someone just dumped her in the street as a baby...how did she come to know and become friends with the kid then?!? He seems to isolate himself from others (I'm just saying...)

wow it does make sense!

it didn't cross my mind  

as for luna her plot is the most complicated one since she had no record until she was imprisoned after taeul visit to KOC

i almost believed the theory about her being the future taeul since she is the one who led lee gon to teaul world 

but what happened after didn't support that

• Like 6

1 hour ago, aya02 said:

LR said in ep 1 

it appears every 20 years to wish the world peace so i guess it disappears after

why would he wait so long to get it if not

Interesting choice of words...  My understanding -  appear here means it was shown to the public... and disappear as it is kept safe from being shown to the public.   Well, thank goodness it is Saturday morning and we survive.

p.s I'm going to sit far away and just watch what's going to happen

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ponderings said:

I thought I was going to drop this drama after episode 4 because the humor didn't hit off like the humor in Goblin and Mr. Sunshine. I believe the editing of the scenes don't do justice to the humor. What brought me more humor was scrolling through gifs and meme in this thread. :D And I love to read @bebebisous33 analysis and other people's theories. (I haven't read every single post as this thread moves really quickly.) 

I like to build off of bebebisous33's observations of TE's personality in her analysis, The Earth is Flat: Jeong Tae Eul's Relationship to Sciences and Faith

I will speculate what Myer-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) is for Jung Tae Eul and Lee Gon. Four traits determine your MBTI:

• Introvert(I)/Extrovert(E) 
  • Sensing(S)/Intuitive(N) 
  • Thinking(T)/Feeling(F)
  • Perceptive(P)/Judging(J)

If you want to learn more about MBTI, you can visit 16Personalities and/or read Gifts Differing by Isabel Briggs Myers with Peter B. Myers. 

As mentioned above, TE is sensitive. On the other hand, Lee Gon is intuitive; he has a sense of what feels right and wrong to him. He knows what feels right for his heart, which is different and subjective for each individual. Also as a king, he has to make decisions for the public and feels what's right for the public. For example, he holds off catching Lee Lim on the day of New Year's because he feels that it is wrong to harm the innocent citizens. 

Tae Eul // Lee Gon

_ S _ _ // _ N _ _ 

The next trait is thinking vs. feeling. From an early age, LG would spend days in his study room thinking in the language of math and solving math problems. He uses the language of math; he thinks in numbers to express himself (e.g., his meaning of 0 and 1). When he crossed to TE's world, he immediately thinks where he is and understands that it is a parallel universe. He tries to explain his theory to TE and he even goes to the library to read about the history of TE's world. Therefore, LG is a thinker.

TE is also a thinker. When she first sees LG, she thinks that he is crazy and immediately decides to arrest him. Her job involves her to think, investigate and conclude her case with substantial evidence.

Tae Eul // Lee Gon

_ S T _ // _ N T _ 

The third trait is perceiving vs. judging. It's kind of tricky. I thought Lee Gon would have a judging personality because of his job as a king. But the way he acts for a job is for the job. His personality trait is perceptive. When he crossed over to TE's world, he looks around him, the unknown parallel world. He wanders around and becomes well aware that this world is completely different from his. On the other hand, TE has the judging personality trait because she's always expressing what seems right/wrong for her. She thinks that LG's theory about the parallel universe is gibberish and believes that the world is flat. That becomes the fact for her. That is right for her, "The earth is flat", and LG's perspective of the parallel universe sends her judgment label to be wrong. In conclusion, TE is more judgmental than perceptive while LG is more perceptive than judgmental.

Tae Eul // Lee Gon

_ S T J // _ N T P

Lastly, TE is an extrovert because most of the time she thinks out loud. She has friends. She has her buddies who back her up especially Shin Jae to investigate the parallel world. LG is an introvert because he internalizes things and his circle is close knit. Yes, LG goes to large crowds as a king, but he prefers to be indoors with people he is comfortable with. Or he likes to be by himself (e.g., study room solving math problems or at the walkway thinking)

Tae Eul // Lee Gon

E S T J // I N T P

In broader terms TE is a judging extrovert and LG is a perceiving introvert. According to 16Personalities, TE is an executive and LG is a logician. When I first watched this drama, I was skeptical of TE's character in relation to her career. So I checked what ESTJ careers are. 

So generally ESTJs are clear and straightforward and they need stability and structure. That is why they gravitate towards institutions like law enforcement, military service, etc. Now I can see why TE is in the police enforcement. 

As for LG, it's spot on, too. 

He clearly has this drive to understand the parallel universe and figure it out. And he is definitely a natural mathematician with all those mathematic confessions. :lol:

First, thanks for the compliment!!!:wub::)

Honestly, I also really enjoyed reading your description about JTE and LG's personality. :) I agree with your observations. I would like to add one point, where we could see that JTE is more judgmental  than perceiving. Remember when Jangmi appeared for the first time. She assumed that he was the thug based on his appearance.

• Like 10
  • Insightful 5