[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

We need to STOP asking for BTS and spoilers, it's never gone well for us.  We ask for spoilers, we get someone dead.   We get the king in a hospital.  We get chicken.

I'm compiling a master list of the spoilers/promo that we DO know, although we don't know when in the next 4 episodes it's happening.  Please add more, I'm going off memory.

Spoiler
  • TE and LG return back to South Korea, they have a scene in front of her house.  Appears to be happy and smiling.
  • Something about rice cakes instead of noodles, was it ever confirmed they're talking about weddings?
  • ES is in the hospital, someone wearing black, appears to be a man, is adding something to his IV drip.
  • Luna kisses SJ.
  • PM is in that weird sewer tunnel thingy LL uses
  • Luna is on the phone refusing to meet with someone, possibly JTE.  Says that whoever wants to meet her will die.
  • LG is in the hotel in his savior outfit with JY, looks to be in distress.
  • LG is in hospital on oxygen, spoiler articles inform us that it's an assassination attempt.  JY is distressed and at his bedside, no other characters there so far.
  • JTE is lying on the street, apparently stabbed, wearing grey coat.
  • LG in bamboo forest with savior outfit.
  • LG running through frozen time, streets of South Korea, finds JTE in tan overcoat and injuries still on her hands, hugs her.  Both appear to recognize each other.
  • LG in savior outfit going back in time (supposedly) to 1994, meets with baby JTE, gives her the black belt that belongs to her mother.
  • Possible new timeline of first meeting scene in Seoul - LG's jacket has all 8 expensive diamond buttons.  JTE tells him to get off his horse, then walks very slowly trancelike to him and hugs him.  He does not initiate the hug, nor does he appear to recognize her.  She appears to be in a trance.
  • Supposed wedding scenes - they filmed in that older traditional building.  Photos of wrapped gifts.
  • LG in coat of doom holding flowers of doom, while JTE is in a cop uniform.
  • Scene of JTE walking down the street in South Korea, walks past Lee Ji Hun who is in a Navy uniform.  He doesn't recognize her, walks past her, she collapses crying.  Did he hug her after that or was that just MinEun?
  • Some sort of scene with JTE/LG on the beach with Maximus and another horse.
  • Lady Noh and LG in her gochujang garden, coat and flowers of doom present. 

Three final shoots - mind, these could be filmed for 15 or 16, they just happened to be the last scenes shot:

• 1939 - LG and JTE, JTE wearing her plum blossom necklace
  • King's bedroom - LG, JTE, Lady Noh
  • The Alley - JTE, SJ, Nari, Woo Do Hwan was in costume as ES and JY?

WHY DO WE KNOW SO MUCH YET NOTHING AT ALL?

• Like 6
  • LOL 16
  • Insightful 2

39 minutes ago, nrbrown said:

Multiple Choice 
1. because SBS wants to torture us...
2. COVID awareness, but they are showing a horror movie instead.

3. $$$

4. All of the above 

So based on what i read on a couple forum comments, was because TKEM main competitor on friday is the variety show called "Three meals a day" and episode air on friday night will have certain star/actor and maybe SBS wants more viewer for this episode, and that's why they move it to saturday time slot since that schedule seems to garnered more view. Now....even tho that makes sense, i feel like it''s shooting themselves in the foot, because now the final episode will air on friday. That's not good if the ratings is always good on saturday.

So at this point i don't know why. I hope they really thought this through. I personally haven't been happy with how SBS handle TKEM.

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

We need to STOP asking for BTS and spoilers, it's never gone well for us.  We ask for spoilers, we get someone dead.   We get the king in a hospital.  We get chicken.

I'm compiling a master list of the spoilers/promo that we DO know, although we don't know when in the next 4 episodes it's happening.  Please add more, I'm going off memory.

Hide contents
  • TE and LG return back to South Korea, they have a scene in front of her house.  Appears to be happy and smiling.
  • Something about rice cakes instead of noodles, was it ever confirmed they're talking about weddings?
  • ES is in the hospital, someone wearing black, appears to be a man, is adding something to his IV drip.
  • Luna kisses SJ.
  • PM is in that weird sewer tunnel thingy LL uses
  • Luna is on the phone refusing to meet with someone, possibly JTE.  Says that whoever wants to meet her will die.
  • LG is in the hotel in his savior outfit with JY, looks to be in distress.
  • LG is in hospital on oxygen, spoiler articles inform us that it's an assassination attempt.  JY is distressed and at his bedside, no other characters there so far.
  • JTE is lying on the street, apparently stabbed, wearing grey coat.
  • LG in bamboo forest with savior outfit.
  • LG running through frozen time, streets of South Korea, finds JTE in tan overcoat and injuries still on her hands, hugs her.  Both appear to recognize each other.
  • LG in savior outfit going back in time (supposedly) to 1994, meets with baby JTE, gives her the black belt that belongs to her mother.
  • Possible new timeline of first meeting scene in Seoul - LG's jacket has all 8 expensive diamond buttons.  JTE tells him to get off his horse, then walks very slowly trancelike to him and hugs him.  He does not initiate the hug, nor does he appear to recognize her.  She appears to be in a trance.
  • Supposed wedding scenes - they filmed in that older traditional building.  Photos of wrapped gifts.
  • LG in coat of doom holding flowers of doom, while JTE is in a cop uniform.
  • Scene of JTE walking down the street in South Korea, walks past Lee Ji Hun who is in a Navy uniform.  He doesn't recognize her, walks past her, she collapses crying.  Did he hug her after that or was that just MinEun?
  • Some sort of scene with JTE/LG on the beach with Maximus and another horse.
  • Lady Noh and LG in her gochujang garden, coat and flowers of doom present. 

Three final shoots - mind, these could be filmed for 15 or 16, they just happened to be the last scenes shot:

• 1939 - LG and JTE, JTE wearing her plum blossom necklace
  • King's bedroom - LG, JTE, Lady Noh
  • The Alley - JTE, SJ, Nari, Woo Do Hwan was in costume as ES and JY?

WHY DO WE KNOW SO MUCH YET NOTHING AT ALL?

Wait wait... JTE was stabbed on the streets??? Where is the preview?? Omg. I told myself not to come in here for more theories and what I do? I STILL come in here. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

1 hour ago, Anagha said:

Hi, I don’t know what’s gonna happen to the story in the next episodes. But I had a theory that I posted on youtube a week before. I just wanted to share it with you guys. The preview of ep 13 is sooo confusing. And I don’t think my theory is right. But still wanted to share because even if a single element from that make sense, it’ll be nice. 

I’m stuck with this Lee Ji Hu idea. What if he some how escaped from Lee Rim and grew up somewhere secretly. He might appear in the next episodes. I guess he may kill Lee Rim and take hold of his flute, travel back to the past, and save young Lee Gon. This might sound naive but I really do think that’s how it is gonna be. Because it’s definitely LMH who saved Lee Gon.

Another possibility. Lee Lim might have raised Lee Ji Hu secretly. There is no reason for him to kill Lee Jin Hu anyway. But he can use him as his final weapon against The King since both of them have the same face. Why do u think Lee Lim is protecting LeeJi Hu’s mom? He doesn’t even allow her to die despite her attempting to suicide several times. I think this is to threaten Lee Ji Hu with his mom. Lee Lim might want Lee Ji Hu to do things in his favour. But as I said Lee Ji Hu will somehow kill Lee Rim, and save his mom. Then he will take the flute and join hands with LeeGon.

I am so much confused with theory of Lee Gon travelling to his past to save his younger self. It is because he was saved that day that he is alive today. If he was killed that day, there wouldn’t be a present lee gon to go back to the past. So in brief, if he is alive today, there is no reason for him to go back to save himself. My guess is Lee ji hu is the one who saved young Lee Gon. We did not see lee ji hu getting killed in the drama. We just saw lee lim approaching lee ji hu to kill him.

This was what I thought before ep 13 preview. But now when I think about it, maybe LG can save his younger self. But he might have gone to the past for some other reason like killing LR but ended up saving himself. 

Please share your thoughts. 

This theory lacks consistency. I don't think LJH is alive otherwise we would have known and what purpose dose he serve Lee Lim? In my opinion Lee Gon and Jung Tae Eul find themselves in a timeloop. 

The person who saved first Lee Gon to start the timeloop is not Lee Gon and that was a timeline previous all of this someone altered that out. 

It could have been a family member as we know the flute has been used before LG with Lady Nuh case and even few that predate her.

So we have. 

Timeline A: Lee Gon and His father both die

Timeline B: Someone saves them both and they both live and this is where LG for the first time runs into JTE when he crosses over but something happens here. 

Timeline C: This is where we start in the series LG manages to save himself but not his father and drops ID card to his younger self

Timeline D: Lee Gon resets time again this time JTE has memory of him probably because of the tree she planted in the between

Conclusion we have two saviours at the spot and both are LG From Timeline B and Timeline C and they both together create timeline D. As for us viewers we have been watching the events of Timeline C

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

6 minutes ago, scrawford said:

So at this point i don't know why. I hope they really thought this through. I personally haven't been happy with how SBS handle TKEM.

I REALLY believe that Contagion is a smokescreen for them not finishing up in time.  Nobody can edit two finale episodes in one week, especially with the type of effects and cinematography that goes on with TKEM.  If 13 and 14 were ready, then that buys them all of next week to just 15, and then the whole week after for 16.  They were filming up until like, 36 hours ago.  I don't follow Korean production times, but I've never seen a show cut it THAT close, and they air two massive episodes a week!  Western shows are 40 min long, TKEM is 70.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 3

2 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

I REALLY believe that Contagion is a smokescreen for them not finishing up in time.  Nobody can edit two finale episodes in one week, especially with the type of effects and cinematography that goes on with TKEM.  If 13 and 14 were ready, then that buys them all of next week to just 15, and then the whole week after for 16.  They were filming up until like, 36 hours ago.  I don't follow Korean production times, but I've never seen a show cut it THAT close, and they air two massive episodes a week!  Western shows are 40 min long, TKEM is 70.

@AgentQuake Agree. But why not be honest about it. CLOY had that happen because they couldn't catch up, and Goblin the same, it's even listed on the wikipedia that the delayed airing the episode 13 because they need time to edit.

That's why it seems fishy.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

That was my initial thought as well 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

22 minutes ago, scrawford said:

I have a theory to add. TKEM’s team were totally in on it. As you can see, they released a 4 minute long preview to tease viewers for the next episode. I think it’s all apart of a plan. I believe they’re hoping to gain momentum. I don’t know how successful it will be but my guess is tomorrow’s episode will be epic and they’re hoping because more people watch on Saturday, more people will tune in to the weeks following. If they can gain back viewers this week, they might be able to finish off on a higher note. If people are curious enough about the ending, they’ll tune in to episode 16 even if it’s on Friday. 

@AgentQuake About editing, maybe it’s because TKEM requires more work but a lot of the dramas I followed in the past were still filming on the last week and were able to air. It’s actually not too bad because they finished filming more than a week ahead of the end. Nice Guy finished filming its last scene the morning of the last episode’s airing. And if I can recall, heirs was very tight on schedule. You can tell by the end of the drama, the actors were all extremely tired because of filming nonstop. Their eyes were red due to lack of sleep. So I think TKEM is actually in a good place. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 5

2 minutes ago, scrawford said:

@AgentQuake Agree. But why not be honest about it. CLOY had that happen because they couldn't catch up, and Goblin the same, it's even listed on the wikipedia that the delayed airing the episode 13 because they need time to edit.

That's why it seems fishy.

Who knows :(  But I'm used to dishonesty from the entertainment world, lol.  And I'm okay with the delay, I would rather have a consistent and well done finale than one that was rushed to get on schedule.  If they truly are okay changing the schedule this late in the game for editing, then the finale editing must have been BAD for them to need another week.

Selfishly it gives me another week of screaming theories with all of y'all here too <3

CLOY was a different ballgame though, I think it was too cold for them to film?  They hit a really weird cold snap and then SYJ got hospitalized for exhaustion.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Just now, Elnin Joery said:

One thing I can't connect with the premise and the timeline theory continuity is Lee Gon going back to before 1950s probably to pick up Lady Nuh or was it his grand-father who looks like Lee Gon?

Could be both imo but i lean towards LG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LMHolic said:

No episode today?? Why?? 

cancelled due to a movie instead and now the time loop for the episodes feel like it’s off too <_<:lol:

———

alright. Finally done backtracking. Reading everyone’s theories felt like the days I use to run a mile for my PE class: out of breath and out of my mind :joy: 

I have no idea what’s going on but my take is that LG will travel to save himself (confirmed with the preview now) but something will still be disrupted hence memory loss occurs. TE forgets first then remembers. 

Spoiler

The spoiler where we saw JH could actually be true and we are in a time loop where their real fate is supposed to meet. Maybe JH is the one TE was supposed to be with and fall for. But even I don’t know anymore :astonished:

1 hour ago, gwin said:

I hate that despite all these spoilers thrown our way, none of us can figure out what the heck is up with that interrogation scene in the very first episode!!! 

Since that scene exists, it means that there is a timeloop or timeline where LR goes to Korea and gets arrested for doing something there.  But what did he do in Korea for him to be arrested and handcuffed?

exactly how I feel right now!! It all comes back to a question I had a while back: which LR are we seeing here and why is he there in the first place? Can this actually be after he killed his brother in KOC?  :weary: I feel like all the events are not in the right places. 

50 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

@vangsweetie637 There you ah!

My turn to rest for the day. 

See you all at the LIVE party later!

Goodnight and stay safe everyone!

Lol! Go to sleep. We have a live party tomorrow, and we must once again watch with no understanding of Korean :joy:

50 minutes ago, nrbrown said:

Multiple Choice 
1. because SBS wants to torture us...
2. COVID awareness, but they are showing a horror movie instead.

3. $$$

4. All of the above 

LOL!!! All the above!!

guys..i saw this:

rzfz9wg.jpg&key=cc1c52edc35c99ce9b6d2c24and was like..”who the hell this guy?” Then realized “omg..is that LR? I didn’t recognize him!” And came to the conclusion that LR is even more handsome at this screenshot angle :lol:

@scrawford hahahahaha! At this rate, I am throwing vodka parties every day now! 

giphy.gif

let’s all drink to repair our brain cells :P

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 11
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

I have a theory to add. TKEM’s team were totally in on it. As you can see, they released a 4 minute long preview to tease viewers for the next episode. I think it’s all apart of a plan. I believe they’re hoping to gain momentum. I don’t know how successful it will be but my guess is tomorrow’s episode will be epic and they’re hoping because more people watch on Saturday, more people will tune in to the weeks following. If they can gain back viewers this week, they might be able to finish off on a higher note. If people are curious enough about the ending, they’ll tune in to episode 16 even if it’s on Friday. 

I'm really hoping soooo... Either it will be epic or confusing as H**L and people will not tune in. Or even better, they should announce that they will not air it on SK Netflis and Wavve until the week after the final episode so people had no option but tune in on the Public TV channel. 

All i care about is KGE and LMH is in a bedroom somewhere in SK.

Oops, wrong thread LOL!

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

JTE hugging LG during their first meeting is heartbreaking, there appears to be no recognition on his face at all. I cannot figure how JTE remembers LG but he doesn't remember her. Does the timeline reset only affect people from KOC? How does things change with this new timeline where JTE hugs LG first? She obviously remembers her love for him, but would he still fall in love with her this time?

Now I'm very curious and would like to know what the original timeline was like. All that we've been watching so far obviously has to be an altered timeline because LG has JTE's ID from the start. How did they meet the first time? How did they fall in love, and what happened that made him go back in time to leave JTE's ID as a clue to himself? 

From the leaked photos from this week's shoot, her breaking down and crying after seeing LJH should mean that she is still waiting for LG and probably has been for a long time without knowing if he'd be able to come back to ROK. Would this be before the new JTE first meeting hug?

So many questions that I think won't be answered with the new episode on Saturday. It's going to be a long wait for episodes 14 to 16. :tears::tears::tears: I keeping thinking of Please Don't Cry from Davichi....I foresee a lot of crying the last few episodes. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 7

16 minutes ago, scrawford said:

That's why it seems fishy

Yup, fishy as the deep blue sea!

• Like 2
  • LOL 9

2 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

Yup, fishy as the deep blue sea!

Don’t bring the word deep in here. I’ve just finished watching the beheading kiss bts for the 100th time and you’re making me think thoughts that are not normal for an innocent girl like me :lol::lol::lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 12