[Drama 2019] Haechi, 해치

0ly40

History lesson

There are 2 type of petition that you can render in historical drama, the first that I have mentioned in previous post 

Haechi2526-00410.jpg

"Seok Go Dae Joe (석고대죄, 席藁待罪) 

The other is in Episode 5 where there was a scholar who brought an axe & petition Gyeongjong to restore Jang Hui Bin's honour as she is the birth mother of the reigning King (Gyeongjong)

In 1722, Gyeongjong posthumous bestowed his mother "Lady Oksan, Great Concubine of the Palace; Prefectural Great Concubine of the Indong Jang clan" (대빈궁옥산부대빈장씨 大嬪宮玉山府大嬪張氏) 

As history have it.....Yeongjo enshrine his mother memorial tablet in Yuksanggung (毓祥宮) shrine (in 1725, it was originally known as Sukbinmyo (淑嬪廟) then in 1744 it was rename as Yuksangmyo (毓祥廟) but in 1753 Yeongjo renamed to its present name). In 1882, the shrine was burnt down & Gojong rebuilt it the next year. In 1908, Gojong decided to bring the other 6 Consorts whose son became King into Yuksanggung & renamed the shrines complex as Chilgung, therefore it became that Choi Suk Bin & Jang Hui Bin's (大嬪宮) shrines became neighbours

Chilgung is open to the public on the 4th Monday of October every year where there is a grand memorial ritual done to commemorate the shrines

Back to the subject.....

The petition is known as  Ji Bu Sang So (지부상소, 持斧上疏). It is a great piece of dramatic tool or prop to state your case. This is a form of protest or petition to the King that if their grievances are not address, then they will use the axe to cut their heads off as a sign of protest..taking their own lives to readdress their grievances, although I doubt that they actually take their lives with the axe if their demands are not met

33182669113_7c14cba3bb_z.jpg

Prince Neungyang (능양도정, 綾陽都正 later Injo) in the drama Hwajung

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@mrsj3n

"I'm ready for Yi Tan to be executed for treason.....Will we get to see it soon?

Yeongjo telling Prince Milpunggun that he will killed him.....

History lesson

Prince Milpunggun Yi Tan (밀풍군 이탄 密豊君 李坦 1688-1729). He revolt against Yeongjo in his 4th year of reign in 1728 under the Soron faction known as Yi In Jwa Revolt (이인좌의난, 李麟佐之亂) who place Prince Milpung gun on the throne but failed in the attempt, as it lasted 4 days.

Prince Milpung gun was executed the next year in 1729 & strip of his title. Gojong in 1864 reinstated his princedom. But then his 5 sons survive

Meanwhile Prince Yeon Ryeong Gun  Yi Hwon (연령군 이훤, 延齡君 李昍 1699 -1719) died childless, although he was married in 1707. Prince Milpunggun's 2nd son Prince Sang Wong Gun Yi Gong (상원군 이공 商原君 李糼 1715-1733, before adoption his given name was Yi Jin Seok, 이진석 李晉錫) was posthumous adopted to him as a son in 1727. But he too died childless & Yeongjo found another Royal Relative continue his brother lineage

The story didn't end then.....as the apple don't fall far from the tree, in 1755, Prince Milpunggun's 4th Yi Gyeom Seok (이겸석, 李謙錫 1719-1755) & 5th son Yi Ik Seok (이익석, 李益錫 1725-1755) stirred political trouble over Prince Milpunggun treasonous case & was executed. Prince Milpunggung's descendants continue from his 3rd son Yi Hang Seok ( 이항석 李恒錫 1716-1744). If the other sons had survive they too would have been in the execution list

Image result for ë°íêµ° å¯è±åå¢

Prince Milpunggun's tomb (밀풍군 이탄, 密豐君 李坦 묘墓)

Image result for ë°íêµ° å¯è±åå¢

According to the tombstone, he is buried with his wives

It looks like Cheon Yun Yeong is not a historical figure

Principal wife  - Cheong Pung Kim clan (郡夫人清風金氏 ,군부인 청풍김씨 1687-1704) died childless, his children comes from his 2nd Principal wife  Im Cheon Jo clan (郡夫人林川趙氏 , 군부인 임천조씨 1688-1735). His eldest son Yi Gwan Seok (이관석, 李觀錫 1708-1750).

Okay, I need to catch up on last week's episodes :D. Didn't have time to watch Haechi last week -_-.

Anyways, here's a new released BTS :tounge_xd:.

Btw, do we have any news about Go Ara? I wonder if she's already filming again, because she should be back by episode 33.

4 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

The above "Making Film"'it seems Go Ara is support herself with crutch from 00:18

I wouldn't have noticed it if you didn't point it out. Maybe that's why they let her rest because they can't shoot her full body with a crutch. Hope she's fully recovered now.

Great opening scene with min's monologue. moon soo mentions yeo ji briefly, that she's currently tracking down wi byung joo's case. Such a shame about yoon young that she chose the dark side instead of a better path with dal moon. Felt a pang of sadness for wi byung joo with the scenes of his past, how he suffered as a namin to get to the top. Also feel sorry for gyeongjong (again...)- his mother pretty much set him up for failure. He may not have been naturally cut out to be a king either way, but jang hee bin sure didn't help. 

And that scene where yi geum showed up to help moon soo- epic. Love a good bow and arrow scene (hi, jumong). That look of betrayal from yoon young was quite ironic, since she betrayed dal moon first way back. Also kinda hurt to see dal moon clearly still care about her and want her to at least stay alive, despite everything. Why girl, why???

Man, so much has happened, and while we have less than a month left, there's still 9 1-hr episodes to go! Can't wait until tomorrow's episode.  

Also- love that we don't have stupid protagonists. And looking forward to seeing yeo ji next week! 

Episode 15

Gyeongjong as Jang Hui Bin's son & Yi Geum as Choi Suk Bin's son play a pivotal moment in Min Jin Heon siding with Yi Geum in defence

Min Jin Heon is said to be the younger brother of Queen Inhyeon but in history, Queen Inhyeon only have older brothers

Min Jin Heon & his family suffered consequences after Queen Inhyeon was depose

Queen Inhyeon was deposed by Jang Hui Bin in 1688 & Choi Suk Bin play a pivotal role in restoring Queen Inhyeon's Queenship in 1694 & also the death of Jang Hui Bin in 1701

This episode is truly a retaliation for all the insults and trials that Yeoning received earlier. Unceasingly, I was delighted that one by one proof would be revealed by yeoning, munsu and other colleagues. It must be admitted that the haechi storyline always managed to surprise. It was a bit sad indeed when wibyoung remembered his past filled with hard work, but in the end he had to pay for his actions because after all he made himself fall into evil.

I seem to miss the other part to watch :(

And about ilwoo and ara bts, sbs seem to know very well how yeoji is missed by the audience: D I hope that next week's episode yeoji will really come back to haechi ... And for ara, see how much he push herself until the end of the shoot even though she has to wear that crutch. 

21 hours ago, lightbringer06 said:

Okay, I need to catch up on last week's episodes :D. Didn't have time to watch Haechi last week -_-.

Anyways, here's a new released BTS :tounge_xd:.

Btw, do we have any news about Go Ara? I wonder if she's already filming again, because she should be back by episode 33.

So when is the last episode..?? Is it tomorrow or next week....

I hope they manage to cover up until the rebellion that Prince Mil Poong was said to have led and the immediate history right after Yeoning's ascension to the throne. 

Haechi is such an interesting story.  However,  I think what goes against it is the complexity of its politics and the many side characters who all have some important role to play at some point of the story.  I think most viewers expect their sagueks nowadays to basically revolve around romance. The history merely serves as the backdrop. It's less complicated that way. 

Haechi spends more of its time on the politics. The romance is merely incidental. You hardly even see Yeoning having romantic moments with Yeo Ji. Drama"s more than halfway done but they have yet to confess anything. 

At the very least,  I just hope they have a decent kiss because it ends. None of that lips-smashed-against-each-other kind of thing. If that's all I'm gonna get out of their romance,  then let the payback be really worth the wait. :D

17 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

Haechi is such an interesting story.  However,  I think what goes against it is the complexity of its politics and the many side characters who all have some important role to play at some point of the story.  I think most viewers expect their sagueks nowadays to basically revolve around romance. The history merely serves as the backdrop. It's less complicated that way. 

Haechi spends more of its time on the politics. The romance is merely incidental. You hardly even see Yeoning having romantic moments with Yeo Ji. Drama"s more than halfway done but they have yet to confess anything. 

At the very least,  I just hope they have a decent kiss because it ends. None of that lips-smashed-against-each-other kind of thing. If that's all I'm gonna get out of their romance,  then let the payback be really worth the wait. :D

I shouldn't have come alllllll the way to the back of the thread but I couldn't resist! I'm only on episode 23/24 from all of this (very dry eyed) bingeing I've managed to do. I just got up to where Yi Tan tells Yeon-ning that his plan will backfire on him.

I totally agree that this drama focuses on more of the political aspect of things, especially between the Norons and Sorons power dynamic and structure of the government. I knew that the king was going to upset once hearing the commoner's comment to the Crown Prince. That was a huge strike right there to the Prince's power, I think. The king is often quite skeptical about his power so it hit a weak spot. I'm actually staying because of the political aspect side of things, so the romance is only an addition to the package on my end (although I did enjoy that very brief scene where our daring Crown Prince told YJ what would happen if she became a court maid...)

The drama is more than halfway done (sad) and he's only told her something along the lines of: "It's okay if you don't feel the same way as long as we think the same." ...I don't think that's good for me. I don't like the idea of YJ being a court lady but I feel like that might be the only way for their relationship to grow. I agree that I don't want any type of lip smashing type of kiss, but a tiny tad of romance between the two would sate me. We're not asking for too much, right...?

@hahanzyy

" thanks so much for always enlightening us on the korean history ..... i really enjoy reading the info u provide every now & then. it is very interesting & helpful to know these background when one is watching the show "

History lesson

Contrary to what we seen on this drama regarding Seo ssi, Yi Geum's principal wife, presently Crown Princess (based on Queen Jeongseong)

Haechi0506-00238-1.jpg

Some historical facts on Queen Jeongseong of the Dalsung Seo clan (정성왕후 서씨 1693-1757)

In 1703 Queen Jeongseong married the then Prince Yeoningun when she was 10 years old & he was 8 years old (feature in the drama Dong Yi)

It is said that Queen Jeongseong when she was young, her father in law Sukjong dotes on her, each day when he sees her, Sukjong will definitely radiant in smiles, moreover Queen Jeongseong’s disposition & temperament was elegant, generous & filial piety that she will comes at all weather without fail to send her greetings to her father in law then will nurse him when he is ill & taking personal care to serve him his medicine tonic & prescription. Queen Jeongseong also renders the same greeting to her mother in law Choi Suk Bin at Bo Gyeong Dang & often visits her at her private residence.

Although that Queen Jeongseong’s family is politically link with Noron faction & was she was also implicate, during Gyeongjong’s reign the Shinim purge in 1721-1722 called the Shinim Sahwa (辛壬士祸), but then Queen Jeongseong still carries on to do her duty to the memorial of Sukjong & Choi Suk Bin

Yeongjo & Queen Jeongseong didn’t have a harmonious martial marriage due to the constant harassment of the intensified faction conflicts & the handful Queen Dowager Seonui of Eo Clan (Gyeongjong 2nd Queen 1705-1730), then due to some unknown reason, Queen Jeongseong was childless but she has a close bonding relationship with her “default” son Crown Prince Sado that she treat him as her own son. It was said that Queen Jeongseong was the mediator & buffer between Yeongjo & Crown Prince Sado & when she died, the father & son relationship collapse.

Princess Hyegyeonggong in her memoirs wrote recalls Queen Jeongseong was warm & gentle & benevolent in nature that her “default” mother in law has a very cordial relationship with her

Yeongjo 33rd years of his reign in 1757, was recorded in the annals that Queen Jeongseong’s illness suddenly took a bad turn & deteriorated that the symptoms portray that her finger nail turn blue, constant vomits black blood, 2 days later, she passed away at Changdeokgong palace, she was 66 years old.

It is said that Yeongjo made constant visit when Queen Jeongseong was ill, when she became seriously ill, Yeongjo wrote a memoir about Queen Jeongseong titled “大王大妃行状” of the remembrance of their memories, cherish hope & dreams that he had the greatest hope that they were to grow old & grey together in which Yeongjo continues to live his life until he was in his 80s.

Crown Prince Sado mourns in grief for the lost of Queen Jeongseong. He wrote many articles of poetry for her condolences in her funeral oration which was collect in “凌虚关漫稿”

Queen Jeongseong was buried in Hongneung 弘陵. She was given the title Queen Jeongseong in 1759

Episode 29 and 30 best so far... Oh l love the political this drama.. Its so reality in real life..I love the mention of their background and history itself..the reason of all these politics is power

Archived