[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

53 minutes ago, immortal_piglet said:

This is PURE SPECULATION. But I was scrolling through weibo and fans are speculating that OG already knew MW will betray him.

Remember how OG can transform and impersonate others? There was this scene in ep12 where MW is discussing with the dog secretary on how he wants to betray OG and make a contract with the priestess. Fans are saying that it is actually OG in the disguise :o

See video here on the scene I'm talking about: 

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4204931952572229

Look at how the dog secretary is sitting and the way she smiled! Doesn't it really look like how OG would have acted? She's normally standing upright and respectfully. But in this scene, the way she sits, and that smile.. hmm :o

So maybe in ep13, OG is plotting a revenge against MW for betraying him?

Wow ! What a brilliant observation done by them. i definitely didnt notice Sec Ma was in a different sitting position. If it is true, SOG will be able to turn the tables against ASN & MW.

Cant wait for ep 13!!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sadpluto said:

OMG, that preview. I'm so glad Ma Wang got his comeuppance. I'm pretty sure he's not permanently dead, but I'm glad he is being punished for being such a richard simmons. He seemed to have temporarily lost his way on his journey to enlightenment.  I'm sorry but I have been so upset and disappointed in Ma Wang since ep 10. When after confirming SM wasn't SJ anymore and immediately tried to kiss up to the bookseller. That was an evil spirit dammit, why does he think it was okay as long as he got points? Did he really think Heaven was going to give him those points? What kind of richard simmons logic does this bull have? I have been iffy about trusting him since the beginning when he sent little SM to get that fan from OG. He knows how dangerous OG can be, how can he just nonchalantly send a little girl to her death and not even feel a little bit of remorse for it. That being said, I love MW and OG's frenemy/bromance. I hope we get more of that from now on as they start to work together. 

I'm glad OG was mad at the Heavens for giving SM and him the deadly fate to punish him. What has she ever done to receive so much pain? If they wanted to kill him, they should have just killed him. That's right OG stand up for your honey. 

I'm totally excited about the proposal. The table has flipped and now OG is going to get to see SM jealous side. :lol: Can't wait.

P.S. That long table in front of So Bo Ri, I wonder how many times OG has broken it so far LOL. We've already seen it twice now, I wonder if there will be a third LOL

Mawang isn''t my fave cos he is quite irresponsible .He  tried to trap OG before too...

but in ep 10 he told about the kiss to the bookseller to provoke Samjang.

If ASN is there to make Sunmi jealous then i will be glad lol . Imagine her throwing tantrums around .. that will be fun. She has been surpressing her feelings too much....

I actually  prefer OG to be really hypnotized by ASN or he pretends to be under her spell. so he can see how a calm samjang get all worked  up :lol:

this is actually time for the team to start trusting each other. Don't drag it any longee, they need to work together

• Like 8

6 hours ago, haymochi said:

Wasn't it said before that if she dies... the contract is finished

correct.. but she never died..

1. if she is that hurt.. his heart will know (because of ggg)

2. she took his name after being shot

2 hours ago, candiilicious said:

Wow ! What a brilliant observation done by them. i definitely didnt notice Sec Ma was in a different sitting position. If it is true, SOG will be able to turn the tables against ASN & MW.

Cant wait for ep 13!!

plus i just noticed.. she doesn't say sohn oh gong 'nim' .. but sohn oh gong..

none of the monsters call sohn oh gong sohn oh gong.. whatever they do..they address him with respect

3 hours ago, monkeyminion said:

Maybe the shaman can’t take it off because it’s a fake SOG?

could be.. they already introduced concept of fake .. with mawang.. when his fake was lying in the hospital..

true oh gong's body could be fake too

11 hours ago, gutibear said:

I am really curious about what big sin SOG committed in the past that made the Heaven punished him severely. I don't think he is an evil demon, he is just lack control. And what happened to previous Sam Jang (s) after he/she completed his/her tasks? Obviously JSM is not the first Sam Jang being sent to earth... 

Each episode gives us too little puzzle pieces and I'm desperately want to know more. This drama is so addicting.

you know what the worse sin can be for demons and gods?

or even in human world..

when powerful abuses weak..

SO.. therefore... powerful, supernatural beings are supposed to be very very very cautious with human world..

Potter series: you don't want to disturb human world

Most of the mythology: you really don't want to hurt human even if human is at fault

So i think sohn oh gong did the worst.. hurt a human.. and the fact that he was betrayed by a human.. i am guessing he did something to that human only

aww. just watched the preview.. definitely mawang dying for real.. because they have already flirted with the idea of him dying fake

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, dubuqueen said:

The preview is out : 

Nails in red polish removed the GGG, that’s ASN. Probably the one under spell is a clone or an illusion. Poor ASN, was deceived under her nose. Witch! Only SunMi can remove that thing.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos! Thanks! :)
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1

6 hours ago, haymochi said:

Wasn't it said before that if she dies... the contract is finished

You are right, the contract was finished. I checked. SOG came before JSM called his name. She died after seeing his blurry silhouette, that's when she called his name. The compulsion ended then and there but still SOG saved her and burned the world in the movie to get her out.

• Like 15

47 minutes ago, YourHighness . said:

You are right, the contract was finished. I checked. SOG came before JSM called his name. She died after seeing his blurry silhouette, that's when she called his name. The compulsion ended then and there but still SOG saved her and burned the world in the movie to get her out.

how can he save her if she died?

even they can't bring back the dead :o

i am getting confused.. he has two pulls.. like if she is hurt..he would instantly know.. and this time he already knew where sunmi was.. in the picture.. she lost consciousness for sure.. i doubt if she died

• Like 7

6 hours ago, gutibear said:

SOG eyes does turn red in the end of the last episode, which some viewers speculate that he is under ASN’s spell. But his red eyes could also means that he is angry. I vote for the latter option.

But SOG's eyes not just turned red in the end of the 12th episode you could see rose petals in them. The only theory that I have is that there in Sureumdong is not actually SOG but his illusion. 

• Like 6

Thank you soooooo much for the preview and translation @dubuqueen @dvrels

The wait for weekend (or monday in my case) feels sooooooo loooonnnggg!!!

SOG is such a badass in that preview. I love how he tackles things. I am quite surprised on how he holds on not to wreck the heavens again for giving him such an unfortune. That table splitting scene? Perfection. I credit editing and production team for this perfect shoot. Such a punch on the gut.

And how he answered JSM's statement about marrying ASN? Ah...so heart fluttering. He did this twice, at least. First was when he threw away the roses and told her that she was prettier (hence, no need for flowers), second was this, when he asked her to marry him instead (when she told him to marry ASN, if im not mistaken). How he boldly told Sunmi that he loves her, and chose nothing else but her. Saving her is part of the package. 

Im melting.

And it is not even Friday yet.

JSM, please dont do anything stupid. Noble idiocy is unacceptable when your guy is being so blunt with you. GGG's influence? Yeah...perhaps. But GGG was frozen that time and he still told you that he loves you. If he's not truly really be in love with you and love you truly, I dont know what is. That monkey was yearning for liquor for hundreds of years and he did not even have that virtual reality drinking night that night because he wanted grant your virtual reality wish. That, my dear SM, is love. Dont spoil it. Lucky girl.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, stargazer187 said:

But the point is here, I see that OG always tried to get rid off the bracelet. He could just let her dead by that time. Let's say he saved her because of GGG or his own will/heart. I believe it's not just because of the GGG. Look, the early eps when he tried to trick SM by making HJ's safety as an exchange. It clearly shows that his heart has fallen for her for real more than the bracelet's power may have. 

And the last part, like he said.. "deadly fate??!!" "There's no such things!!" I'm going to believe. Yeah... writers please don't break my heart. I want a happy ending for sure!!

But that is exactly where my disconnect / confusion is.

GGG's power would escalate with the severity of danger SM is in right.. that's how our hearts also work.. if someone you like (parents/kids) if they are sad, you are sad.. but if they are dying.. that's another level of pain..

GGG is designed to do precisely that... the pain of SM's death would be unbearable.. no? even if OG wants to trick.. he just won't be able to...

zombie situation was under his control.. because SM was not in danger.. he would have anyways saved her.. at max fact of the situation is.. had HJ died/got hurt.. SM would have been guilt,angry, heartbroken.. but no real danger

well.. that's all in past.. i hope the story now moves on to something more sinister and nice

• Like 4

1 hour ago, stargazer187 said:

I'm rewatching this part again.. and I guess MW explained that SM's soul in that picture might not be saved and she could be dead if her soul can't get out of the picture. Since she got shot, she can't call him. In the real world, SM isn't dead yet. So the contract is still there I guess.

But the point is here, I see that OG always tried to get rid off the bracelet. He could just let her dead by that time. Let's say he saved her because of GGG or his own will/heart. I believe it's not just because of the GGG. Look, the early eps when he tried to trick SM by making HJ's safety as an exchange. It clearly shows that his heart has fallen for her for real more than the bracelet's power may have. 

Sorry to cut your post but Mawang did not just take JSM's soul or illusion in the film. Just like the painting in episode 2, the whole of JSM went inside the movie. When JSM died in the movie, she died in the real world too. And Mawang himself said that JSM died in the movie/that world. The movie ended. Mawang had come out, JSM had not. SOG knew something was wrong. JSM basically did not exist in the world that time. She did not exist and so the bracelet was not working because she was in another dimension. Mawang had told her to "call SOG" if she is in danger but she never got the chance. She did not call his name until she saw him IN the movie. She died after that. When SOG picked her up in his arms, she was dead. He could have left her there and come out but he didn't. HE CHOSE to save her life. If he had let the movie be, then JSM would have come out dead so he had to burn the place where she died. It was like erasing the past to change the future.

Am I explaining this correctly? LOL, I'm sorry. It's so clear in my head. I don't know if I explained it properly.

• Like 15

@stroppyse@carolinedl @maddymappo@YourHighness . @stargazer187 @RobinM @40somethingahjumma @evie7 @kaoriharang

The divine tree in Hwayugi

Korean Odyssey Tree.png

Look how small and fragile our main character SJ looks standing next to this tree called the divine tree. She is a special human being as she is able to see ghosts and her blood with lotus scent is powerful. Yet she appears so weak and insignificant compared to the tree. She is even overshadowed by the divine tree.

Interesting is that in many cultures, trees have been considered as sacred, like for example the Celts venerated the oak. Why? It is because the tree has always been considered as representing the cosmos. The Celts thought that the universe would fill the oak with sacred energy. The universe can be seen and felt in a tree because there is a circle of life. The appearance of the buds symbolizes the fecundity, then the blossom of the leaves the birth and the leaf fall aging and death. This circle of life is actually never ending due to regeneration. That's why the tree is also connected to immortality. Usually, trees live much longer than humans hence they seem to be immortal. This explains why in the manhwa "The bride of the Water god" the author had this idea of a tree whose fruit can give immortality to humans. Besides, the tree is surrounded by animals (birds, squirrels, insects) so that we can conclude that the tree is a source of life too. 

Then in the Bible (Genesis), we are told about the existence of two trees: Tree of life and Tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Tree of life can give immortality but it remains hidden in the garden of Eden. As you can see, even the bible connects trees to immortality. Furthermore God forbade Adam and Eva to eat the fruits from the Tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Here we can see parallels with our Korean Odyssey. The guardian of the divine tree warned SJ and Ma Ji Young not to touch it. The tree is hiding a terrible secret: the place of the priestess and mummy ASN. Despite the warning, SJ and MJY chased the demon away, unaware that they had released a real monster. To me, this scene could be seen as the expulsion from heaven. The evil has been woken up. She even called the evil priestess by giving her some blood. This could be considered as the beginning of the end of the world. The evil is released and since ASN is powerful, she can instigate wars and create chaos in her thirst for power and immortality. But in the Bible, Adam ate the fruit after Eva had given it to him. Therefore during the Middle-Age, women were seen as bad and corrupt because the theologists  blamed Eva as the representative of women for the expulsion from paradise. Striking is that in Hwayugi, ASN is indeed a seductress. She even uses her rose petals to overcome SOG's power. The divine tree in Hwayugi should be considered as the Tree of the knowledge of good and evil because it actually witnesses ASN's death and confinement.

In addition, the tree represents the axis of the world. With its roots, it is connected to the underworld, the trunk to the earth and the branches to the skies/heavens. Now look again at the picture of the divine tree, you'll notice, how tall the tree is and how big the branches are. It is even taller than the hill behind the tree. It was as if the tree was indeed trying to touch the skies. No wonder, why SBR knew immediately what had happened. Then the sarcophagus was wrapped by the roots of the divine tree, the roots stands for the world of death. In a lot of religions, the world of death is often shown in the underworld (Greek mythology f. ex.). Then I could add  as another reference the movie "Sleepy hollow", where the heads of the murdered people are kept in the roots. In this story, the tree is more associated to evil forces and witchcraft. However, this underlines again the magical power of a tree. Here again in this story, the mastermind of these murders is a woman, a seductress who is seeking for money. As you can see, the tree is often linked to magical powers. Now, we have to wonder if the demon that tried to stop people from cutting this tree was not in fact the magical and sacred force that kept this old and divine tree alive. Notice that as soon as he disappeared, the tree was cut so easily and its roots were removed quite quickly as well.

Why do people give trees magical powers? From my point of view, it could be explained by the fact that the 4 elements are gathered in the tree: water in the form of sap, earth in the form of roots, air nourishes the branches and leaves and fire as the wood is used as fuel. The presence of the 4 elements in the tree indicates completeness. That's why in Buddhaism, Buddha found Enlightenment on the  Bodhi Tree. As you can see, the tree is also here associated to knowledge and even wisdom. By destroying the tree, the humans and especially professor Kang acted against reason and common sense. Professor Kang was more interested in money, wealth and power so that his decision points out his corrupt mind and his evilness. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7

10 minutes ago, maddymappo said:

@bebebisous33  Thank you for the mythology.  In Greek and Roman myths the dryads are shown as attached to a tree, usually an oak tree.  Fleeing from Apollo the naiad Daphne calls out to the river god her father for help and he  transforms into a Laurel tree.

You're welcome :) and I am also glad that you could add another connection good job onion headwhich forced me to think a little further. First, these stories from Greek and Roman mythology underline the sacred character of trees. Trees are linked to divine powers and in reality, through these myths the humans are asked to be careful with nature and trees. Hurting a tree is like hurting a god. The dryads acted as guardians of trees and if someone had hurt a tree, they could punish that person. Now, let us compare the dryads to ASN. 

First, the dryads were not immortals and so is ASN. Yet, she needs blood from humans and she needs a body in order to live again. In opposition, the dryads took their energy from the trees and not from humans. Then the dryads could leave the trees and so did ASN. However, for that the guardian needed to disappear. Hence there is a huge difference between ASN and the dryads: she is not there to protect the tree, it is the other way around. The function of the divine tree is to protect the world from ASN. The tree serves as her prison. In one of my last posts, I had compared ASN to Calypso. Calypso and the dryads are nymphs and this common denominator illustrates that ASN could have a similar nature. But she symbolizes the perverted version of a nymph as she is a mummy. Furthermore, she is selfish, cruel, ruthless and not determined to serve divine nature, unlike the dryads. Actually, ASN is using nature for her own interests (the rose petals are a tool to manipulate and seduce men and gods). To conclude, ASN is more similar to Calypso as both are seeking immortality. The latter gave up her freedom for immortality and lived secluded on an island, where she felt loneliness and boredom. That's why she wanted to keep Ulysse/Odysseus by her side. As we can see, ASN wants immortality too. But unlike ASN, she is seeking for power too. Her confinement was forced, while Calypso had accepted to live that way.   

• Like 8

8 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

how can he save her if she died?

even they can't bring back the dead :o

i am getting confused.. he has two pulls.. like if she is hurt..he would instantly know.. and this time he already knew where sunmi was.. in the picture.. she lost consciousness for sure.. i doubt if she died

Mawang narration "Son Oh Gong destroyed /burnt down the whole world where she died"

hence people are speculating OG will go as far as burning the whole world if she died...

• Like 11

@bebebisous33 Agree, the dryads were  forces of nature. ASN is a priestess/witch. Her magic is dark more in the tradition of witches and sorceresses. 

Aside from that the magician Merlin from the Arthurian legends was trapped in a tree by a sorceress he was in love with or who is in love with him (depending on the story and version).  That is the only trapped in a tree story I can find. Except in the Tempest the spirit Ariel had been locked in a tree by Caliban's mother, a witch.  So it seems the witches are the ones who usually do the  locking up

• Like 7

14 hours ago, immortal_piglet said:

This is PURE SPECULATION. But I was scrolling through weibo and fans are speculating that OG already knew MW will betray him.

Remember how OG can transform and impersonate others? There was this scene in ep12 where MW is discussing with the dog secretary on how he wants to betray OG and make a contract with the priestess. Fans are saying that it is actually OG in the disguise :o

See video here on the scene I'm talking about: 

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4204931952572229

Look at how the dog secretary is sitting and the way she smiled! Doesn't it really look like how OG would have acted? She's normally standing upright and respectfully. But in this scene, the way she sits, and that smile.. hmm :o

So maybe in ep13, OG is plotting a revenge against MW for betraying him?

Great Info !!

OMG, Ma Wang cannot smell his buddy Monkey in disguise??

And that SOG's sitting style is so girly, I wonder.

• Like 8