[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

19 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I don't know if anyone has already mention this previously but I'll post it here just in case it hasn't been. :wink:

You may also be interested to know that Samjang comes from the Chinese San Zang 三藏 (at least those are the characters used by the C subbers use to translate Samjang into Chinese) which is translated Tripitaka, in the Sanskrit. Tripitaka, the name of the monk also refers to the collection of three Buddhist scriptures... Jing Zang (Sutrapitaka), Lu Zang (Vinayapitaka) and Lun Zang (Abhidharmapitaka).

三 refers to 3 and 藏 can mean repository or scripture.

I think the obvious implication by the writers is that Seon Mi is the reincarnation or at least the modern manifestation of the legendary Tang dynasty monk who travelled to the west to take the Buddhist sutras back to the central plains. It was a widely held belief in JttW by demons of all shapes and sizes that eating Tripitaka (or having sexual relations -- implied) with him would grant them immortality or extraordinary powers because he was himself a reincarnated being.  

What I found especially striking about your analysis is the way you have linked Samjang's blood to the Christian eucharistic traditions which of course varies greatly amongst Roman Catholics and Protestants. Some Christian traditions take a more literal view of the elements ie. the bread and the wine as literally Christ's body and blood while others see them as mere symbols reminding them of Christ's crucifixion of his body and his blood. And while we're thinking along those lines we can see the overlap in the importance of "three" universally especially in Christianity with the Trinity, for example.

Noting that SK is a country of many traditions, it would not surprise me one whit if there is some attempt to draw on and integrate the mythos of various cultural and religious traditions in Hwayugi especially with regards to the book seller's mission to use fairy tales of differing traditions to "free" children from their dysfunctional family life. Not incidentally JttW is also largely considered a children's fairy tale... in the Taoist, Buddhist tradition. It's a morality tale, adventure story in the context of a long pilgrimage.

As someone who loves books, it is pleasing that the show affirms the power of stories, the collecting of stories in codices and the power of storytelling to affect change in the lives of people.

The reason why I made the connection between Christian religion and Hwayugi is because  the writer is using words or even signs from the Christian religion. Lucifer is the former name of Satan. Lucifer, whose name means light-bearer, was an angel (cherubin) created by God. Lucifer was his favourite angel and his task was to make music for God's glory. But he became arrogant and wanted to become God himself (like a coup d'état), hence he was kicked out of heaven. But before he left Eden, he asked other angels to choose between him and God. The ones who decided to support Lucifer followed him. Once expulsed from paradise. Lucifer could no longer bear the name Lucifer as he was no longer living in heaven, where light is everywhere. That's why he became Satan and the other fallen angels were called demons. Jesus Christ even said that Satan became the prince of this world (human world). Satan is another name for DEVIL.

After reading this, you can drew some parallels between Hwayugi and Christian Religion:

- The fact that MW wants to become a deity and wants to go back to Heaven. This could be seen as an allusion to his fall from Heaven,

- The devil, Satan, is often represented with horns which remind us of the bull horns

- Then his company is called LUCIFER ENTERTAINMENT.Image result for Lucifer Satan

- He is supporting singers and music with his show (pass!); Lucifer was responsible for music in Heaven

- He is like a prince of this world as he is very wealthy and powerful

- He is indeed arrogant, selfish and devious (he never waits for an opportunity to get a benefit, even by backstabbing SOG)

@carolinedl @larus @maddymappo @RobinM @stargazer187 @evie7 @stroppyse @YourHighness . @kaoriharang

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Can I throw something out there?

If OG gives up the whole deity/immortality thing and becomes mortal because he loves SM - he will die. 

Doesn't mean he will die NOW. He might live to old age with SM. 

We've already seen this with the deeper in love he he falls with SM, the less focused he is on becoming a deity. And he's the one who doesn't want to think about how short her life really is. 

Maybe the GGG has been making him mortal. Besides training him by making him more sensitive to human emotions and feelings. 

I would wager that he already liked SM before she put the bracelet on him. She turned his head more than once and really got into his head. Prior to putting the GGG on, he attributed the unfamiliar emotions to coming from his contract with her. After putting the GGG on, he started attributing all the emotions to the GGG. Lots of denial going on there.

Him becoming mortal for her is taking the different route from the one that HAS BEEN FOLLOWED by MW who has lived over 1000 years in the human world seeing his wife live and die repeatedly. With MW, I get the impression that he wants to step in and stop his wife's oft repeated bad fate. Currently he's forbidden to step in and do anything to help her or get her to "remember" him.

Also. 

Comments on the preview glimpses...

Was that a dragon or dog statue that MW put his hand on? 

Did anyone notice that both SM and the MW's dog secretary were MIA on the parts where MW was collapsing and OG was freaking out and table cracking with SB?  

Also, looking at the wiki page for the series... what the heck is with the bold part?????

CEO of Lucifer Entertainment. A gentle and charismatic businessman, he is the object of others’ envy due to his popularity. He has a bad history with Son Oh-gong in the past, and now has become rivals with him for Jin Seon-mi.

Also. Comment on close to the end of Ep12. 

Was I the only one who noticed the way OG lingered with meaningful hand caresses and looks and unspoken "fences are mended" messages with SM???   :wub:

Edited by tweets
added comment
  • Like 11

(Urgh, I've caught the flu. If I end up typing nonsense today, please excuse. -.-;;

2 hours ago, tweets said:

Also, looking at the wiki page for the series... what the heck is with the bold part?????

CEO of Lucifer Entertainment. A gentle and charismatic businessman, he is the object of others’ envy due to his popularity. He has a bad history with Son Oh-gong in the past, and now has become rivals with him for Jin Seon-mi.

@tweets, I wouldn't worry about that part on the English Wikipedia page. That idea was added to the description back in October long before the show began airing and much was know about its direction.

CEO of an entertainment agency. A gentle and charismatic businessman, he is the object of others’ envy. He has a bad history with Sun O-gong in the past, and now become rivals with him for Jin Seon-mi's love.

The official character description for Ma Wang does not mention Sun Mi at all. Neither does the Korean wikipedia page's one line description. I think the English wikipedia page just needs some revisions for current accuracy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

The reason why I made the connection between Christian religion and Hwayugi is because  the writer is using words or even signs from the Christian religion. Lucifer is the former name of Satan. Lucifer, whose name means light-bearer, was an angel (cherubin) created by God. Lucifer was his favourite angel and his task was to make music for God's glory. But he became arrogant and wanted to become God himself (like a coup d'état), hence he was kicked out of heaven. But before he left Eden, he asked other angels to choose between him and God. The ones who decided to support Lucifer followed him. Once expulsed from paradise. Lucifer could no longer bear the name Lucifer as he was no longer living in heaven, where light is everywhere. That's why he became Satan and the other fallen angels were called demons. Jesus Christ even said that Satan became the prince of this world (human world). Satan is another name for DEVIL.

After reading this, you can drew some parallels between Hwayugi and Christian Religion:

- The fact that MW wants to become a deity and wants to go back to Heaven. This could be seen as an allusion to his fall from Heaven,

- The devil, Satan, is often represented with horns which remind us of the bull horns

- Then his company is called LUCIFER ENTERTAINMENT.

- He is supporting singers and music with his show (pass!); Lucifer was responsible for music in Heaven

- He is like a prince of this world as he is very wealthy and powerful

- He is indeed arrogant, selfish and devious (he never waits for an opportunity to get a benefit, even by backstabbing SOG)

@carolinedl @larus @maddymappo @RobinM @stargazer187 @evie7 @stroppyse @YourHighness .

It is interesting how the owner of LUCIFER ENTERTAINMENT lives under one roof with EQUAL TO HEAVEN

Hahaha

2 hours ago, stargazer187 said:

Whatever he wears.. and however he poses.. He does so gorgeous!!  *hearteyes*

Sorry to cut your post. I would like to concur this, but I found that only recently after he is back from military duty that he become more...I dunno, manly? Is that even the correct word to describe it?

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pictures, thanks! :)
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, stargazer187 said:

It's finally Saturday... but the waiting is not over yet for me. I'll wait for both on Tuesday. So while we wait... I saw this picture.

Cr to naver

I seem to not remember seeing this on any eps yet.. has this one out? 

I watch most of his dramas before. I know he's a good singer as well. He is so lovable. And yeah after the military he seems becoming much more manly and what ya.. moreeeeee wayyyy soooo dazzling! I'm not a person who loves watching any K-shows... but he makes me watch him for that. :lol:

That is one of deleted scene from episode 2, OG and SM dating moment

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, tweets said:

Can I throw something out there?

If OG gives up the whole deity/immortality thing and becomes mortal because he loves SM - he will die. 

Doesn't mean he will die NOW. He might live to old age with SM. 

We've already seen this with the deeper in love he he falls with SM, the less focused he is on becoming a deity. And he's the one who doesn't want to think about how short her life really is. 

Maybe the GGG has been making him mortal. Besides training him by making him more sensitive to human emotions and feelings. 

I would wager that he already liked SM before she put the bracelet on him. She turned his head more than once and really got into his head. Prior to putting the GGG on, he attributed the unfamiliar emotions to coming from his contract with her. After putting the GGG on, he started attributing all the emotions to the GGG. Lots of denial going on there.

Him becoming mortal for her is taking the different route from the one that HAS BEEN FOLLOWED by MW who has lived over 1000 years in the human world seeing his wife live and die repeatedly. With MW, I get the impression that he wants to step in and stop his wife's oft repeated bad fate. Currently he's forbidden to step in and do anything to help her or get her to "remember" him.

Sorry to cut your post.

I think you have a point that these two has different intention, albeit sharing the same route. Both Mawang and Ohgong are like boys collecting cookie points to win the toy car that they want. While Mawang wants the toy car to pickup his lady from misery, it is quite unclear to me why Ohgong wants that toy car. Perhaps he want the toy car to return to his past glory and be the coolest boy in town (as deity in heaven. That, and to lift up that liquor ban that was put on him, perhaps.)

Then Sunmi arrives. Mawang wants to make OG and SM collect cookie points for him while also collecting it for themselves. But Mawang's goal was never to become a deity. His sole intention is to pickup his girl from misery (by becoming deity, or, if possible, with other means that will get him there quicker). This is his weakness. 

Now about Ohgong.

It was mentioned in the last ep that he was from rock that absorbed heavenly power and came to life ( and become immortal, at that). But GGG has made his heart soft and destructible, and hence, end his immortality.

However, if being good makes you a deity, he will still become deity even if he dies. Does that make any sense? Haha.

I agree with you that OG has feelings for SM even before he put on the GGG, although I am not sure what that feeling was. At first, he might be intrigued by her becoming such an adult (and with that awesomeness in her, claiming to be able to manage well without calling his name, and hence rendered him a useless Sage. Haha. It was the first for him, perhaps, to have someone so weak claiming that she doesnt need him, to have anyone not admitting his great power, etc). Besides, he must have felt a certain attachment to her, since she has that one contract -the one that said that he will be her protector. But then he followed her around and realize how cool she is (and how useful her blood is, too, although he cant do anything about it, due to that one contract). He helped her around without being asked, because he was offended that she doesnt need him, but also, I think he has that tiny, tiny, budding affection towards her. In a way, I think he was...proud of her. "Look, that is my little weakling that I (suppose to) protect and she has grown so well!" He admires her, and continuously astounded by her, being so weak, but having such determination.

Then came the GGG. And I guess you were right. He did blame it on GGG that he felt affection. But not until recently that it became very very clear that he loves her for real, and loving her creatively, at that. He didnt bring flowers, but he keeps her company. He didnt get to enjoy that mermaid tears because he wants to make her dream come true instead of quenching his longing for liquor. Etc etc.

And GGG doesnt even end there. It made his heart softer to other things too, like Buja. In the past, I am sure that he wont give a damn to creature as low as human zombie being pushed from the rooftop by another lowlife human. It made him do something as silly as making him feel constantly cold at home because he let the aircon on supercold for Buja. He didnt even kill off pig for trying to feed Sunmi to Buja (in the past, he would have kill him off, I suppose. This goes to Sec Ma who tried to stab Sunmi on earlier episode). His protection goes wider in scope. Not just to Sunmi, but also to people around her. 

I think, sooner or later, he will still become a deity this way. His motivation and deeds are going better and higher, compared to Mawang who is only there to collect points. I wonder what will Mawang do if he becomes a deity and Iron fan is saved? Will he does as he pleased and push people off elevators? Possibly.

• Like 11

http://m.tv.naver.com/v/2693177

Omg! This new scene in the upcoming episode is too HOT! Y'all need to watch! I don't understand what they are saying but it has something to do with marriage and we have alot of smooching! My heart literally just died! :blush: :astonished:

Can they just get married and have babies already?! Even in real life! 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

I think that OG was attracted to SM right from the start when their eyes met with him walking past her car. And more attracted and all smug to see that she recognized him. :) I keep going back and forth about whether he had her brought to his place to officially meet him right after that chance encounter. That footbridge he was standing on was also visible in the episode when he took her there (MW's SJ blood addiction episode). And she kept that attraction going by pretending she knew his name while bringing him down to size. 

He beat up the bookseller for trying to haul him in with the contract, so the contract alone wasn't enough to cause that noticeable downturn to his face when he turned around and realized that SJ was HER. 

I think both OG and MW want to be deities. That's probably always been a big deal to both of them. With OG that was about being forgiven and getting back to where he had been before X happened 1000 years ago (I'm convinced he was drunk or something when whatever it was happened :) ). With MW, it's about getting in a position where he can help his wife. If you can't convinced the higher ups to do something, you have to become a higher up so you can do it yourself. 

Other thing - regarding the bookseller episode. I love the fact that SM's book was Peter Pan. Because that's pretty much her story with OG. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Liting1 said:

Omg! This new scene in the upcoming episode is too HOT! Y'all need to watch! I don't understand what they are saying but it has something to do with marriage and we have alot of smooching! My heart literally just died! :blush: :astonished:

OMO FANNING MYSELF ATM. Did it just get hot in here? BRB DYING OF THIS SWEETNESS :astonished::flushed:

• Like 4
  • LOL 5

46 minutes ago, Liting1 said:

OMG NOW I CANT WAIT FOR EPISODE 13

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

@stargazer187 i'm sorry.. that's all i can say  :tongue::tongue::tongue: *that clip is beyond my expectation*

Hmm guessing from that kiss, they both have already decided to go all out  with their feelings. The marriage proposal must be really sincere too.. 

Poor Hanjoon-ssi lol . It's no like his boss isn't weird enough

• Like 2
  • LOL 11